26 GDC Attendees Tell Us What They Learned - in Pictures

26 GDC Attendees Tell Us What They Learned - in Pictures

We gave GDC 2014 attendees a whiteboard and a pen and asked them to quickly write down in one sentence what they learned. We got some fascinating responses.

Read Full Article

I think there was a missed opportunity for that one guy's board to read "John Romero made me his bitch. :("

heres another one: 50% of GDCers have terrible handwriting. Just saying. Was quite difficult to read some of those.

Definitely lol'd at the "50% of GDCers don't wash their hands"

Wow. It's amazing how far we've come. We're learning so much at GDC! In particular, we're learning that if someone gives you a marker and a whiteboard and says whatever you write is going to be on a major gaming website, you self-promote, self-aggrandize, and if all else fails and you have absolutely nothing going on, you brag about your win streak or treat the whiteboard like twitter to complain about some minor personal inconvenience.

In all honesty, I would be more upset about this if Discoverability wasn't such a huge problem for indies right now. If anything, they should have taken Romero's spot when they realized he had nothing to say and given it to some starving indie dev desperately trying to get eyeballs in front of their quirky third-person stealth-based RTS or whatever.

At least it means people took that workshop about self-promotion to heart.

the doom cannon:
heres another one: 50% of GDCers have terrible handwriting. Just saying. Was quite difficult to read some of those.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Apparently learning how to write legibly isn't important when you have insane computer skills. Which...makes sense I suppose.

My favorite was number 10. Invest in a good pair of walking shoes. :-)

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed by a lot of these. I was really hoping for some truly funny or memorable lines, but after going through them all, the only three that stuck were the shoe one, the DOOM one, the pizza one, and 'We're just errand boys bring them food an drink' one.

Man, Romero's looking old... other than that, nothing too spectacular from these.

the doom cannon:

Ehh, washing your hands after the first piss after you showered is just theatre.

WarpZone:
Wow. It's amazing how far we've come. We're learning so much at GDC! In particular, we're learning that if someone gives you a marker and a whiteboard and says whatever you write is going to be on a major gaming website, you self-promote, self-aggrandize, and if all else fails and you have absolutely nothing going on, you brag about your win streak or treat the whiteboard like twitter to complain about some minor personal inconvenience.

In all honesty, I would be more upset about this if Discoverability wasn't such a huge problem for indies right now. If anything, they should have taken Romero's spot when they realized he had nothing to say and given it to some starving indie dev desperately trying to get eyeballs in front of their quirky third-person stealth-based RTS or whatever.

At least it means people took that workshop about self-promotion to heart.

There's only one guy who did a shameless self-promo with the whiteboard...one out of 25 ain't bad!

Devin Connors:

There's only one guy who did a shameless self-promo with the whiteboard...one out of 25 ain't bad!

#1: Learned something.
#2: Did not learn anything. Is just using the whiteboard to perform his dayjob.
#3: Complaining about a minor inconvenience.
#4: Shameless self-promotion.
#5: Complaining about a minor inconvenience.
#6: Possibly learned something. If he's never been to Seattle ever. (Seriously, I'm starting to suspect London gets more sun than that place.)
#7: Learned something. Did not learn it well enough to teach it concisely.
#8: Learned something. A long time ago. Memory refreshed at GDC.
#9: Did not learn anything. If she came to GDC, she has known for some time now that there is at least one woman in gaming.
#10: Learned something. Except he already has the hashtag on hand, so I'm guessing he learned this at an earlier con.
#11: Nobody managed to best him, therefore he didn't learn anything.
#12: Learned something. Namely, how to suck up to Josh Romero.
#13: Dude. Hope he wasn't paying for it all this time. Learned something.
#14: Okay, this guy actually learned something related to his craft, too. Game devs talking shop. This is actually starting to sound like what the title implies!
#15: Oop. I knew the streak was too good to last. Complaining about a minor inconvenience. Since he already knew he didn't want to hear a Wilhelm in Game of Thrones, didn't actually learn anything even if he watched Game of Thrones in the hotel room.
#16: Unless he powered through Art of the Witness AT GDC instead of actually doing anything, AND he didn't already know that based on his career experience, didn't actually learn anything.
#17: Learned so little or is such a bad teacher that I actually feel dumber for having read his comment. What does that even mean? How does one apply it? CONTEXT, MAN. CONTEXT!
#18: I'm impressed! Learned three things! That's 1.5 things apiece. Arguably the smartest people at GDC at this point, if we're just going by whiteboard-documented teachable moments.
#19: Aaaaand I'm guessing this is the guy who had the most FUN learning experience at GDC.
#20: Learned Exposure-Mosaic Tile Rendering. Nice. Apparently learning that overwrote basic penmanship. Probably worth it.
#21: Guess he was chatting with his new boss, Kristoffer Touborg, while waiting in line. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he learned this at GDC, not beforehand.
#22: Wow. Now *I* just learned something. Okay, if Indie devs all hate free-to-play, why is that all you're making? If PLAYERS hate free-to-play, why is that all that's selling? What the fuck is going on here, people? We should be able to fight this if we all fucking hate it!
#23: Aaaaand I think it's safe to say that this is the dumbest person at GDC. May have learned something. But the thing he learned is so stupid I'm not even going to give him credit for it.
#24: Racing? Oh! Pacing! Yeah. I'll give it to him. Learned something. That's actually a pretty important one, good he learned it.
#25: Um. He's morally right. But. What does that mean in context? How did he learn it? How will this knowledge help developers? Does it even matter since Publishers are the big evil bastards in charge of everything? Or is it just nice-sounding hand-wringing that will be willfully ignored by some and the rest will fail as King, EA and Zynga keep pursuing short-term gain up until the whole damn industry collapses? I NEED TO KNOW MORE. Based on that suit jacket and trouser leg, however, I'd imagine it was quite the eye-opener. I wonder how many milliseconds until he forgets it again?

So by my count that's about 15 and a half out of 25 of the whiteboard comments actually being about something they learned at GDC. The rest is just filler. I mean, that or they did the whiteboard first and tried to find a pithy description tying them all together after the fact. But since when does that ever happen on the internet?

Edit: heh heh. Just noticed that I accidentally typed "Josh Romero." I'm gonna leave that in, see how many people correct me on it without reading the whole post.

Oh and by the way, if #25 is a certain gentleman popularly depicted with a triangle for a mouth, he's lying through his photoshopped teeth.

Doesn't number 9 "there is no women in gaming, is a myth" one, still showcase the massive gender imbalance regardless.

Surely no one believes that there is absolutely no women in the industry, but one out of 26, in these examples, is surely a poor turnout. That's not even 4%.

A good representative sample? Of course not, too small. But I still thought it was poignant.

(I am assuming the picture with just a hand in it belongs to a man. It looks manly and is more likely to be a man, but it could be a woman)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here