Self-Help

Self-Help

It's a one step program. Two if they're a little further away.

Read Full Article

My favorite self help book is always Star Signals. I never completed it, but it was fun for a while.

I wish I could be one of those chipper people that piss everyone off with their happiness

Objectable:
My favorite self help book is always Star Signals. I never completed it, but it was fun for a while.

W-wait. Is this serious? Like, is this a real book that you can pay actual money for?

Under_your_bed:

Objectable:

W-wait. Is this serious? Like, is this a real book that you can pay actual money for?

You have to keep calm. Take a good, deep breath. Remember what the man said. Stars may die in threes, but worlds die in fives. Like insects injected with maggots.

Tag: "There is no life on Planet Testicle"

I can't wait for someone to search that at random in the future and an official Escapist article pops up.

Renegade-pizza:
I wish I could be one of those chipper people that piss everyone off with their happiness

Same here.

I don't understand when we started to celebrate cynicism and negativity, but man - I wish it's just a stage and people get over it.

Renegade-pizza:

I find really chipper people to be slightly aggressive. As though, it's not enough for them to just be in a good mood, everyone else must be in a good mood. As someone who's default face is blank, rather than smiling, it really gets on my tits to have people demanding that I 'cheer up'. I'm not unhappy, or I wasn't, piss off. Even if I was unhappy, I might have a damn good reason for it. It doesn't come across as empathetic, it comes across as demanding and a bit selfish.

Although, they aren't as annoying as the opposite. The people who feel the need to rain on everybody's parade and ruin genuine good moods.

I try to go for general amiableness.

Is it really self-help if someone is sell ... er, I mean, giving it to you?

SKBPinkie:

Renegade-pizza:

Same here.

I don't understand when we started to celebrate cynicism and negativity, but man - I wish it's just a stage and people get over it.

We found out that that "better world" the baby boomers built was full of shit, and we'll be the ones left to pick up the tab.

Chances are the next generation will get over it once they start rebelling against us.

SKBPinkie:

Renegade-pizza:

Same here.

One of those persons here. It's mostly an act to hide crippling depression.

Objectable:

How did you successfully smuggle a book out of the Night Vale Public Library?

My mom got way into this thing called "The Secret" for a while. Positive thinking leads to positive things, you have to visualize what you want in life etc. What a load of crap. Nobody can argue that positive thinking can be a great thing but I can visualize a house on the beach all day if I want to. Without actually taking the steps to make that happen it will never happen regardless of how positive I am about it.

There is also a very negative side. When you do everything these self help programs want you to do and nothing good comes of it you can be left even more damaged and broken then you were before hand. Then the supporters will turn around and say you just didn't try hard or long enough. Reminds me of the super religious claiming bad things happen to good people because they didn't pray hard enough. Ultimately self help can actually help some people but trying to change your whole life to some new standard that worked for some people is probably a bad idea. Just try to separate the good from everything else and don't get sucked into an all or nothing situation.

I've never identified with a webcomic character more than right now. Although,I am personally have more hate for ones who think they're Baldwin in Glen Ross.
On a side note, dude's face on a second panel is badly drawn.

SKBPinkie:

Renegade-pizza:

Same here.

A little bit of cynicism is fine; sometime we all need a reality check every now and then. But yeah, it's kinda gotten to a point where the internet seems to get off on it. Just as obnoxious if not more so than the annoyingly chipper types.

Ooouch- why did she have to hit him in the nuts? >.<

Couldn't she have punched him in the face or something non-gender-specific.

Yeah, kicking a few select people in the balls daily in the morning would make me happier too.

I don't get it. What is the joke?

Sejborg:

She's happy because she kicked a con artist in the junk.

Objectable:

Judging from that last segment, I can see why. It's like the writer suddenly started speaking in Lovecraftian dialogue.

Objectable:

I cannot adequately express the number of virtual hi-fives I am sending you right now. I'll let this endless loop of Neil Patrick Harris do most of the work for me.

OT: If I could brutalize self-help authors without fear of consequence, I'd be pretty obnoxiously chipper too.

Epicspoon:

Sejborg:

That's the joke? Seems like a pretty cheap joke. Just have her kick anything in the joke and call it a joke then. A bus driver, a policeman, a dog, an elderly, a mimic, a child and so on.

Fuck The Secret. Read it when I was 11 and it took me a while to realize the actual secret. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff though, that can stay.

EDIT: Never knew self-help authours had such a bad rep until this thread lol.

Now that's a form of self-help I can get behind!

...but not in front of.

Sejborg:

Epicspoon:

Sejborg:

That's the joke? Seems like a pretty cheap joke. Just have her kick anything in the joke and call it a joke then. A bus driver, a policeman, a dog, an elderly, a mimic, a child and so on.

More specifically, the joke is that Erin is happy because she's seeing a self-help counselor or whatever. You'd assume, then, that Erin is happy because she's paying this guy, and he's helping her work through her personal problems and get more confidence like they're supposed to do. The joke is that that isn't the case, and Erin is happy, not because she's working with him, but because she's seeing this guy before she goes to work every morning and kicking him in the balls.

Wait, Ashley isn't getting fired, is he?

B-but I ship ErinxAshley!

Arrogancy:

Sejborg:

Epicspoon:

More specifically, the joke is that Erin is happy because she's seeing a self-help counselor or whatever. You'd assume, then, that Erin is happy because she's paying this guy, and he's helping her work through her personal problems and get more confidence like they're supposed to do. The joke is that that isn't the case, and Erin is happy, not because she's working with him, but because she's seeing this guy before she goes to work every morning and kicking him in the balls.

I don't know. Having her kick a child in the balls seem funnier to me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here