Escapist News Now: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Preview - GDC 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Preview - GDC 2014

Andrea Rene sat down with Thomas Wilson, the Creative Director of Beenox's upcoming "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." He discussed all the new gameplay improvements in the sequel and what they wanted to do differently with the game.

Watch Video

I enjoyed playing their last Spidey game so this should be fun.

Sounds like the original spiderman 2 for the ps2, which is still the best spiderman game yet. Might work, only time will tell. Still sad that it took these guys all the previous games to finally get it right.

The first one never interested me, but this one is, looks like they have improved a lot.

The Combat/Stealth reminds of the Batman Arkham titles, which can only be a good thing considering the Freeflow system is amazing.

Don't screw this up guys! We need a good Spiderman game xD

I really hope for a GOOD Spider-Man game.

The second one, based off the first movie, was fairly decent.

But the last GOOD, or even GREAT, Spider-Man game I played was 'Ultimate Spider-Man'.

ExtraDebit:
Sounds like the original spiderman 2 for the ps2, which is still the best spiderman game yet. Might work, only time will tell. Still sad that it took these guys all the previous games to finally get it right.

That's what I'm hoping for. I loved that game to death, and still play it every now and again, just going and swinging all about the city in all the most stylish ways. By the way they talk about it, it sounds like it'll be that, which makes me want to keep this game in my sights. I just hope that they won't have a whole lotta inside sections, which no matter what Spidey game there, they all have annoying and frustrating inside sections.

They had me at the physical web swinging. Definitely going to be a purchase for me; perhaps even day one.

I should not be this excited about a game connected (somewhat) to a movie but I loved the first Amazing Spider-Man game so much and it really seems like they've improved on some points.

One thing I hope for, however, is that they make it more difficult. This isn't even because I'm one of those "easy games cater to filthy casuals" people, which I'm certainly not. Superhero mode on the first Amazing Spider-Man game still felt really easy barring the boss battle with Smythe's giant robo-snake.

This seems like a very interesting superhero game.
Count me interested, it's been since the GameCube that I last played a Spidey game, sees the time has come ones more!

Looking at the gameplay, I can already tell the camera during combat is going to be a struggle :/

If this is even half as good as the first game, it's going to be simply... great!

What? You were expecting something else?

ProZack:

ExtraDebit:

That's what I'm hoping for. I loved that game to death, and still play it every now and again, just going and swinging all about the city in all the most stylish ways. By the way they talk about it, it sounds like it'll be that, which makes me want to keep this game in my sights. I just hope that they won't have a whole lotta inside sections, which no matter what Spidey game there, they all have annoying and frustrating inside sections.

In my mind if they get Arkrum game's combat and splinter cell's stealth, they can do as much inside sections as they want. In any case I'll be keeping my eyes out on this game, sounds like it got potential.

Maybe it's just me, but I have always wanted to see a Spider-Man game that tried using the insult sword fighting idea from Monkey Island as that would fit perfectly into Spidey's 'wise-cracking to enrage enemies into mistakes' strategy. Also, if you have to have numerous battles with non powered thugs, make the player have to sneak an automatic camera into position before instigating combat and tie it into a levelling system. The closer you get the camera, the better the pictures, the more they are worth and the more you can upgrade. If the enemies spot you then you don't set up the camera and you get nothing. The difficulty then would be in the style you play rather than the power level of the NPCs.
This just looks like Batman with a colour palette and web swinging; not a bad thing but not Spidey.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here