The Curse of World of Tanks - Remakes Every 6 Months

The Curse of World of Tanks - Remakes Every 6 Months

Wargaming.net has made a lot of military history buffs and competitive multiplayers happy with World of Tanks, but it's been tough to follow up.

Read Full Article

That is beautiful.
I still remember when I got the Closed Beta invite... or was it even alpha? WoT was so different back then. Loved it, the tanks, the gameplay, the way it was brought up...

What I really like is how Wargaming have supported Museums and history through their game. ALso given us info on never before seen prototype vehicles like the 121 or Borsig... and invented a few like the WTF E-100 :D :D...

As for World of Warplanes... it can still be salvaged to at least decent levels. They must however get their act together.

I recently started playing WoT on my 360. It is a fantastically well-developed game. Even though it's Free to Play, it's definitely not Pay to Win. Sure, you can pay for better tanks, but you can be just as effective with the lesser tanks, and can get the better ones with enough patience. But the amount of detail they provide for each tank is what hooked me more than anything. I'd swear I've spend almost as much time reading the stat sheets and descriptions of the various thanks than I have actually battling it out on the warfield. Also, the speed at which you can get in and out of battles is a major plus for me. There's hardly any waiting around.

I think the reason World of Warplanes hasn't had the same success is because of War Thunder which is actually better (I say this having spent many hours in both games). World of Tanks rules because it's the only well known game of it's kind, there have been plenty of other flight simulators by comparison. As for World of Warships, I'm looking to see the battle between that and NavyField 2.

Charcharo:
That is beautiful.
I still remember when I got the Closed Beta invite... or was it even alpha? WoT was so different back then. Loved it, the tanks, the gameplay, the way it was brought up...

What I really like is how Wargaming have supported Museums and history through their game. ALso given us info on never before seen prototype vehicles like the 121 or Borsig... and invented a few like the WTF E-100 :D :D...

As for World of Warplanes... it can still be salvaged to at least decent levels. They must however get their act together.

I still have a screenshot from not long after launch when I in a VK3601H trapped an IS3 against some rocks so my team was able to cap while he was helpless. Such a good time.

An Ceannaire:
I recently started playing WoT on my 360. It is a fantastically well-developed game. Even though it's Free to Play, it's definitely not Pay to Win. Sure, you can pay for better tanks, but you can be just as effective with the lesser tanks, and can get the better ones with enough patience. But the amount of detail they provide for each tank is what hooked me more than anything. I'd swear I've spend almost as much time reading the stat sheets and descriptions of the various thanks than I have actually battling it out on the warfield. Also, the speed at which you can get in and out of battles is a major plus for me. There's hardly any waiting around.

I think I might download just for the info. I like reading about tanks and planes and whatnot, so even if I never actually play it, it could be interesting.

Charcharo:
That is beautiful.

No invention there, the E-100 actually was a design on paper. It was part of the Entwicklung series of tanks and there actually was a partially completed hull discovered by the allies so Wargaming didn't make up that tank. Take a bit of time to research the E series tanks and you will see a good deal of what counts as top end tanks for the German line hiding within the subject. Honestly, it is just nice to see what was a series of diagrams and blueprints, some of them merely some mad sketches (Lowe) actually rolling around the battlefield.

Too bad for game balance sake, we won't see the P.1000 Ratte rolling across a map. Wouldn't mind seeing the artists at Wargaming just jokingly put a model of it together... perhaps for an April Fools joke.

Vastly increasing the system specs required to run a free-to-play PC game while still keeping the graphics well below the bar set by AAA? Hell, it worked for Runescape!

...wait.

Blaine Houle:

Too bad for game balance sake, we won't see the P.1000 Ratte rolling across a map. Wouldn't mind seeing the artists at Wargaming just jokingly put a model of it together... perhaps for an April Fools joke.

They're already pay-to-win, unless they stopped selling individual shells when I wasn't looking. So don't worry, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they're selling players the Schwerer Gustav.

WarpZone:

Blaine Houle:

They're already pay-to-win, unless they stopped selling individual shells when I wasn't looking. So don't worry, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they're selling players the Schwerer Gustav.

Well, they haven't gotten rid of the "gold" ammunition, but they have made it able for you to use the free currency to buy it. Also, they give out gold in the clan wars now, so if you're really good then you can get some gold.

WarpZone:
Vastly increasing the system specs required to run a free-to-play PC game while still keeping the graphics well below the bar set by AAA? Hell, it worked for Runescape!

...wait.

Another thing they're planning on doing in this next update is to make it so that a multi-core machine is able to actually use multiple cores, so that'll help a lot. Also, they're gonna have the ability to have low graphics options.

I love world of tanks and absolutely adore the amount of effort that wargaming.net puts into its games. Seriously, the "developer diaries" videos they're putting out about the next update are really interesting, even if they're basically advertisements for the next update.

Blaine Houle:

Charcharo:
That is beautiful.

No invention there, the E-100 actually was a design on paper. It was part of the Entwicklung series of tanks and there actually was a partially completed hull discovered by the allies so Wargaming didn't make up that tank. Take a bit of time to research the E series tanks and you will see a good deal of what counts as top end tanks for the German line hiding within the subject. Honestly, it is just nice to see what was a series of diagrams and blueprints, some of them merely some mad sketches (Lowe) actually rolling around the battlefield.

I was talking about Waffen Trager E-100 :). WT E-100... the autoloading Tier 10 OP German TD :D
I know about the E-series. The E-50M was an invention of Wargaming too, based on some proposals. It even uses the L7 cannon.
Also, E-75 armour is overbuffed as well. It should have same armour as Tiger 2 just more sloped.

And we have to stick it into ten minutes of gameplay, fifteen max

This comment bugs the hell out of me, I cannot explain precisely why but the feeling that they have to stick with the same formula. Anything less 1 hour but more than 10 minutes would allow a better game imo.

An Ceannaire:

I play PC version, but i can't inmagion it working difrently.

Yes you can buy tanks, but they are no better than a normal game tanks of the same tier.
There are some other benefits, but nothing game changing.

Also if a new player buys a high tier tank that way, he will suck at using it.(at first anyway)
Not unlike buying top level boost in WOW.

But i do agree that they are doing free to play wright.

on a side note.
How is the ingame community on xbox?
On PC it went from a GG at the end to name calling about a year ago.
I alway have found the Xbox scene obnoxious to start with. (I do own a 360, but it's gathering dust)
Is that any beter or worse?

I'm surprised he made such a simplistic assessment of why tanks are outdoing war planes, when WoT was made with such care and attention to detail, every angle of the terrain and every move of your vehicle come into consideration making this seemingly simple TPS actually the most detailed combat game outside an RTS.

But they put World of Warplanes together with just the broad strokes with no attention to detail, copied some mechanics over in hopes that things will work out, but stuff that is important to a tank is absolutely not the same stuff that is important to a plane so it just feels like nothing essential can be controlled, the only thing that can be done is spraying the enemy until one of you is down and nothing else... that just isn't good enough.

Just a quick correction: WoT isn't "free-to-play" it's "pay-to-win". Take the same two tanks, give one premium equipment and the other one the standard-version of that equipment and the premium one is going to win 9 times out of 10.

Of course I could just be bitter because I've raged so hard at that game that I literally burst a blood vessel in my forehead over the BS that goes on. My favorite is the fact that enemy Panthers used to be nigh indestructible to me. When I finally got one, though, it apparently was the paper mache model considering how many times I'd take a single shot to the front and have it blow up my engine and cause a fire that would destroy my tank 2 seconds later.

Of course, most of those shots were from the premium armor piercing ammo, but that just further supports my opinion that the game is pay-to-win, not free-to-play.

RJ 17:
Just a quick correction: WoT isn't "free-to-play" it's "pay-to-win". Take the same two tanks, give one premium equipment and the other one the standard-version of that equipment and the premium one is going to win 9 times out of 10.

Of course I could just be bitter because I've raged so hard at that game that I literally burst a blood vessel in my forehead over the BS that goes on. My favorite is the fact that enemy Panthers used to be nigh indestructible to me. When I finally got one, though, it apparently was the paper mache model considering how many times I'd take a single shot to the front and have it blow up my engine and cause a fire that would destroy my tank 2 seconds later.

Of course, most of those shots were from the premium armor piercing ammo, but that just further supports my opinion that the game is pay-to-win, not free-to-play.

Premium ammo and consumables can bought with credits. Premium tanks are univerally worse then normal tanks.
The grass is always greener on the other side.

Charcharo:

RJ 17:

Premium ammo and consumables can bought with credits. Premium tanks are univerally worse then normal tanks.

Oh sure, you can buy premium ammo and items for credits...at radically expensive prices. It's over 10K silver for a single round of premium ammo...not very cost effective if you're saving up for the next tech-tree upgrade or tank. Yet you can pump some money into the game, get yourself some gold, and buy them for relatively cheap (except the fact that you just spent actual money to gain an advantage in a fictitious conflict). Pretty sure that, by definition, that's "pay-to-win".

RJ 17:

Charcharo:

RJ 17:

Oh sure, you can buy premium ammo and items for credits...at radically expensive prices. It's over 10K silver for a single round of premium ammo...not very cost effective if you're saving up for the next tech-tree upgrade or tank. Yet you can pump some money into the game, get yourself some gold, and buy them for relatively cheap (except the fact that you just spent actual money to gain an advantage in a fictitious conflict). Pretty sure that, by definition, that's "pay-to-win".

I may be biased as I am one of those people that play tier 10s with premium ammo and consumable *without premium* and still make money :D ... as in enough to buy my other tanks :D :D...

That is true, but here is a simple way to bypass that problem. Choose some low tier 4-6 tanks you like as money making tanks. Also will be able to use them as tanks in Historical Battles. And make money on them. I keep a few of those as they are fun and I will love to ROFLSTOMP King Tigers in my T-34 :D . Then you will have no problem on higher tiers...

RJ 17:

Charcharo:

RJ 17:

heh, I'm laughing cause the first response to RJ would have probably been "L2P noob, just shoot the weak spots" Which is actually good advice, oddly enough.

Yes, it's Free to Play. However, you can pay for convenience, also known as paying to gain more credits cause yer such a baddie that grinding a normal T5 isn't even extremely profitable :P

[edit] Also, in all honesty, it's not uncommon for people to get Top Guns without using any kind of premium anything, just positioning, aiming, and judicious application of med and repair kits when needed. Also fire extinguishers, those are very important, and if you're reaction's ain't great, the auto one might just be a good buy.

RJ 17:

Charcharo:

RJ 17:

10k credits?? Really?

My SU-152 has 1k Cr per shot standart ammo, thats the most expensive i got.(although there may be more expensive out there)
The price of premium ammo is a little over 4k Cr, thats steep but not to expensive to keep some to help out in a pinch.
The damage rating is the same as standart, only armor piercing is beter.
If anything, it can level the playing field if you are one of the lowest ties in the game.

Also an advantage is not a certain victory, victory dependents on the actions of your teammates more than anything else.

And although there are people who do, most players don't fire money at your tank constantly.
And when they are, how can you tell?

Moving up the tiers faster doen't really effect the battle's that mutch, so using a premium acount is by no means pay to win.

If they were just in it for the money, they would go the EA way and give your new gun research time that you can bypass for a price.

I understand what you are saying about the Panther.
But bear in mind that the stock versions of a tank are no beter than the previous tank.
I can agree on that it sometimes even feels like a downgrade, but you can bring it up to par without paying a dime.
But when you get the beter gun, engine, ... and get the hang of the tank you will see it's gets beter.

If you were saying they're not "Free to Play" but "Pay for advantage" i could argee to some extent.
But i also wouldn't have any real problem with that.

Jeroenr:

on a side note.
I alway have found the Xbox scene obnoxious to start with. (I do own a 360, but it's gathering dust)

Urgh, it's not great. The problem is I play on the European server and it seems to consist of 3 types of people: People nattering away to other people in the same room as them in a language I don't understand, Young children wailing and mouthing off through incredibly crappy mics, and the trashtalkers. Occasionally you will come across people who are willing to talk strategy and work together - and that's when the game shines brightest. But 99% of the time it's just a team-based free-for-all. Which is a pity, because teamwork is a necessity to consistently do well in WoT.

It's a pretty decent game if you get into it.

The main problem for a lot of people is the learning curve.

A lot of people just fire randomly at enemy tanks, paying no mind to angles and armour thickness.

A lot of people just Yolo because they're impatient.

On the flip side, many people are too timid and don't press enemies when they should.

Overall, there's a lot of frustrating aspects to the game, mostly due to other players.

However, the enemy team has just as many as you do most of the time, so, it kinda works out.

An Ceannaire:

Jeroenr:

on a side note.

Urgh, it's not great. The problem is I play on the European server and it seems to consist of 3 types of people: People nattering away to other people in the same room as them in a language I don't understand, Young children wailing and mouthing off through incredibly crappy mics, and the trashtalkers. Occasionally you will come across people who are willing to talk strategy and work together - and that's when the game shines brightest. But 99% of the time it's just a team-based free-for-all. Which is a pity, because teamwork is a necessity to consistently do well in WoT.

Well, teamwork is always a bit of a problem with standart battle's, you have 2 side's not 2 teams.
Team battles (5 vs. 5) and Tank company's work a bit beter.

On PC the in game voip system doesn't connect to the whole team, but only to platoon members or TC.(people i know)
This makes audio coms a bit more streamlined and usefull.
Text chat is to the whole team, and thats were you see the trashtalk and foreign banter.
In text chat it's easy to ignore, but in audio chat i can see how that gets annoing.

The audio chat on Xbox was one of the reasons i stopt playing online (on Xbox), if i can't stand the people i play with/against it takes the fun out of it for me.

As Xan said, World of Warplanes isn't doing great because War Thunder came out first and its gameplay is less clunky and more engaging than WoW's.

Tanks is fun, but I just couldn't bring myself to try planes or even War Thunder for very long. If Kesmai could pull off persistent maps with 300 players two decades ago with air warrior, why are devs now limiting themselves to lobby games?

Eh. I got tired of the biblical grind quickly. But it's a decent enough game otherwise.

Well, that and tired of seeing my arty shots fall well outside of the aiming reticule far too frequently (stationary angle, firing angle, zeroing, doesn't matter, there's a chance the game will just fuck you over with random chance. Either that or their aiming code is out of sync with the server), if not when they just disappear entirely. As in "They never landed".

Wow such arrogance. As if hes actually remaking the game. hes remaking it maybe every 2-3 years and in half a year all they mange to develop is couple maps and sometimes a few tanks. heck, they only now bring historical battles and Havoc engine that they promissed us 2 years ago. They are one of the slower developers out there so this post was very strange read. then again. Its wargaming. to be expected.

An Ceannaire:
Sure, you can pay for better tanks, but you can be just as effective with the lesser tanks, and can get the better ones with enough patience.

How is it on 360. from what i saw its terrible.
You cant pay for better tanks. Premium tanks are actually worse than their same tier nonpremium ones. this is intentional, meaning that people who buy it may have more credits but not better tanks. As for detail, well, this is what you get when you port a PC game to consoles. PC games had this for years now, welcome to the club.

deathmothon:

I think I might download just for the info. I like reading about tanks and planes and whatnot, so even if I never actually play it, it could be interesting.

your better off reading the books the developer released. Tanks in game are not exactly historical due to balancing and there are plenty "paper tanks" (tanks that never actually got built but were only projects)

WarpZone:

everything that can be bought with gold can be bought with silver. and you can get gold if your doing clan wars. Its not even that hard actually.

RJ 17:

you are wrong. Everything that can be bought with money can be bought with free currency. you dont need gold equipment to win. in fact, most of the time its compeletely useless. and gold ammo is useful only for people that dont know how to aim. From your "Experience" it seems like you really dont know how to aim and end up being the reason your team looses. Instead of blaming the game why dont you try to get better at it? Panther is a paper tank, EVERYTHING can penetrate it. well may not low tier scouts.

JaceArveduin:

heh, I'm laughing cause the first response to RJ would have probably been "L2P noob, just shoot the weak spots" Which is actually good advice, oddly enough.

well, he couldnt penetrate a panther. PANTHER. obviously he does not know where to shoot. I can understand if he was complaining he cannot penetrate ATs or Tiger2, those have armor, but Panther is a paper tank.

Jeroenr:

And although there are people who do, most players don't fire money at your tank constantly.
And when they are, how can you tell?

Automatic extinguisher is easily visible when used. Golden ammo gives different color tracers. there are ways.

Atmos Duality:
Well, that and tired of seeing my arty shots fall well outside of the aiming reticule far too frequently (stationary angle, firing angle, zeroing, doesn't matter, there's a chance the game will just fuck you over with random chance. Either that or their aiming code is out of sync with the server), if not when they just disappear entirely. As in "They never landed".

It uses gausian distribution, which means there is 0.3% chance that it lands outside of the circle. With the massive artillery nerf done recently that made their ability to hit a target more dependent on weather condition than your aiming i can only see masochists like me playing arty anymore.

Strazdas:

It uses gausian distribution, which means there is 0.3% chance that it lands outside of the circle. With the massive artillery nerf done recently that made their ability to hit a target more dependent on weather condition than your aiming i can only see masochists like me playing arty anymore.

Ah, so I got fucked over by the developers shortly after starting.
Good to know I quit at a good time, since I don't really have the patience to grind out another line of tanks just to be able to play.

Strazdas:
Snip.

I'm not going to argue with someone who has the gall to call the developers arrogant when your response to me can be summed up with "lol learn 2 play noob, you're the reason your team loses". Seems the pots' calling the kettle black on this one.

@Strazdas
To be fair Panther has some armour for its tier.

RJ 17:

Strazdas:
Snip.

I'm not going to argue with someone who has the gall to call the developers arrogant when your response to me can be summed up with "lol learn 2 play noob, you're the reason your team loses". Seems the pots' calling the kettle black on this one.

@RJ 17
We can teach you :P . But honestly, those are mostly problems with you :( . I made almost 700k credits on my tier 10 doubles today... without premium... with the 4kill events that give extra money.

Atmos Duality:

Ah, so I got fucked over by the developers shortly after starting.
Good to know I quit at a good time, since I don't really have the patience to grind out another line of tanks just to be able to play.

Well to be honest it was partly needed. it was getting ridiculous with having 10 arties per team and such nonesense. however they overdid it in my opinion.
as far as grinding, i find that if i pick tanks that are fun to play it does not feel like grinding, it feels like fun.

RJ 17:

Strazdas:
Snip.

Well, considering you blamed the game for your inability to play, i tried telling you that maybe the problem is with yourself. Thats like blaming a car when you fail your driving test.
Oh and i agree im quite arrogant, that however does not mean the developers say the truth in this pannel.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here