185: Storming the Fortress

Pages PREV 1 2

Klaorkl:
"Storming the Fortress
by Nathan Meunier, 20 Jan 2009 4:53 am

Now more than a year after its release, Team Fortress 2, Valve's stylish class-based first-person shooter, still draws dozens of servers full of skilled players at any given moment. "

Cliff note version: I object to author saying the game is less popular than it is, apparently without bothering to verify.

A pet peeve of mine is how media often fails to fact check.

Actually, at this very moment there are approx 87 servers running with players in them (I counted). Of those servers, only about half are "full" - as in either at capacity or just under capacity. I think that's certainly fair to say it qualifies as dozens of servers filled with skilled players. (I might add not all are skilled, but that's another story).

Does that mean that there could be more or less servers full tomorrow or even within a few hours (or even minutes) based on the time of day. Absolutely. The article doesn't imply the game is less popular than it is. Stats fluctuate from day to day, as do the number of players. Don't be an asshat.

Can't please everybody in the development community, now can we? Let's consider that nit picked and move on. Don't get your servers in a bunch. The article was a positive one.

Nathan Meunier:

Klaorkl:
"Storming the Fortress
by Nathan Meunier, 20 Jan 2009 4:53 am

Now more than a year after its release, Team Fortress 2, Valve's stylish class-based first-person shooter, still draws dozens of servers full of skilled players at any given moment. "

Cliff note version: I object to author saying the game is less popular than it is, apparently without bothering to verify.

A pet peeve of mine is how media often fails to fact check.

Actually, at this very moment there are approx 87 servers running with players in them (I counted). Of those servers, only about half are "full" - as in either at capacity or just under capacity. I think that's certainly fair to say it qualifies as dozens of servers filled with skilled players. (I might add not all are skilled, but that's another story).

Does that mean that there could be more or less servers full tomorrow or even within a few hours (or even minutes) based on the time of day. Absolutely. The article doesn't imply the game is less popular than it is. Stats fluctuate from day to day, as do the number of players. Don't be an asshat.

Can't please everybody in the development community, now can we? Let's consider that nit picked and move on. Don't get your servers in a bunch. The article was a positive one.

Keep in mind that when you do a refresh you don't get all of them as I mentioned. There are various reasons. For instance, if you do a couple refreshes quickly, some servers ignore you (probably ddos settings) some servers don't respond in the several second time frame (probably ones out of the country or server op doing p2p or whatever), etc. I've seen the server list vary from 100 to 2500 when I do refreshes.
At this moment steam stats page says:
6,330 13,485 Team Fortress 2

6,330 requires a minimum of 264 servers of size 24.
I did this only about 45 minutes after your reply. Note that this is actually more than when I did my previous reply :)

I'm actually not in the software development community, I don't work with vavle or any other game company or any software company at all. I'm just a normal gamer working on my computer engineering degree Like I said, its a pet peeve of mine.

And I agree, its a positive article thats informative.

Edit: I just did a server list in steam.
I told it to filter and display only Team Fortress 2 servers (otherwise it finds all valve/steam servers).
There were over 200 TF2 servers with at least 10 players in them. I stopped counting after that. My list showed 2263 servers total for TF2

Another possible issue is perhaps the server list inside TF2 can vary from server list in steam application.

Edit 2: A second refresh about 5 mins after the first only showed 1600 servers. So looks like the stats on valves page are the best way to tell.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

BTW, this is one of the reasons I think the steam server browser sucks, there are many other issues that need to be worked on with steam relating to the 10+ year old and hardly touched server browser. They could probably make it 10 times better with just a week of the company working on it. I long for the good ole days of using gamespy3d server browser (this was before the crappy gamespy arcade one)

Any news on the updates coming out for the PS3?

@ Klaorkl

I can appreciate your attention to detail and numbers. However, I find no use in squabbling over figures that can fluctuate wildly. TF2 is a popular, well-made game, people enjoy it, and a hell of a lot of folks play it. Enough said.

My statement in the article may have been a bit on the conservative side in your view, but it wasn't presented as a cold hard "fact"; it's simply narrative to set the tone of the piece that was indeed rooted in research. If it makes you feel big and important to dispute that, fine. Pat yourself on the back. Well done.

I didn't throw out any hard figures and say they were golden. The focus wasn't on the specific numbers of people playing; it was on what Valve has been doing to continue to improve their already excellent game. Pardon me.

If you want to spend your time picking apart minor details of people's feature reporting and chalk it up to "the media" not fact checking, then be my guest. Me? I'm going to celebrate a week of historic firsts and get back to work.

Peace.

Didn't tf2 update there server browser recently? Also, the server browser tends to flake out if you request EVERY single server currently active, as its bound to. They do have servers in both Australia and America, oposit ends of the earth, so one isnt gonna get many of the other poping up due to pings, the browser relies on you putting in things like "map" "player numbers" "max ping" etc. Try searching google for "the" and see how many results you get.

Still, a moot point :) TF2 rocks, lets just leave it at that!

Daymo:
Any news on the updates coming out for the PS3?

THey've said they wont be doing any updates for ps3 for teh forseable future, and its kinda doubtful they will at all, especially after not doing L4D on the ps3. Partially to do with the added need for coding for it, partially because they are pc coders, not ps3 (and the xbox360 is pretty close to a pc these days.) Plus, EA did the game ports in the first place, rather then valve themselves I think?

This is why Valve are my fav developers.
I love how they actually listen to the players and use their feedback to improve their games, which are already great.
Can't wait for the Scout update. I also have no idea what other class they could add.

WolfLordAndy:
(and the xbox360 is pretty close to a pc these days.)

I think it's worth noting that the Xbox 360's architecture isn't nearly as PC-like as that of the original Xbox. The 360 is supposed to be easier to code for than the PS3, though (having done a little Cell programming myself, I don't doubt it), so you still have a good point.

Hurray! I can't wait till all the class updates are done! Mmm but Im mostly excited for the scout update!

It's great that keep improving on the game, makes me want to come back even after I take a few months break from it.

Nathan Meunier:
@ Klaorkl

I can appreciate your attention to detail and numbers. However, I find no use in squabbling over figures that can fluctuate wildly. TF2 is a popular, well-made game, people enjoy it, and a hell of a lot of folks play it. Enough said.

My statement in the article may have been a bit on the conservative side in your view, but it wasn't presented as a cold hard "fact"; it's simply narrative to set the tone of the piece that was indeed rooted in research. If it makes you feel big and important to dispute that, fine. Pat yourself on the back. Well done.

I didn't throw out any hard figures and say they were golden. The focus wasn't on the specific numbers of people playing; it was on what Valve has been doing to continue to improve their already excellent game. Pardon me.

If you want to spend your time picking apart minor details of people's feature reporting and chalk it up to "the media" not fact checking, then be my guest. Me? I'm going to celebrate a week of historic firsts and get back to work.

Peace.

I agree, the number can flucuate wildly. But so far, those numbers have been at minimum hundreds of servers not dozens.
Dozens would imply its a game thats not one of the most popular, and not a heck of a lot of people play it.
On the other hand, 5000 minimum playing it at any given time means its one of the top online multiplayer FPS games.
For instance:
http://www.gamespy.com/
If you look at the right hand side game player list, right now there are around 75,000 people playing HL1 and its mods, 35,000 people playing hl2 and its mods, and the 3rd place goes to ET: Quake Wars with 6,000 ppl, then 4th is BF4 with a little under 6,000; 5th is wolfenstein: ET which is a free game with about 5,500 people, and 6th is UT2k4 with around 4,000 people.
And at this moment TF2 has 10,000 people
10,273 13,485 Team Fortress 2

That a game thats currently $20 can beat out all other online multiplayer FPS except valve ones is pretty impressive to me.

If you are basing your numbers on the valves server browser, they are flawed as I've explained, in large part because valve's server browser itself is flawed.

If you don't want to belive me, feel free to ask valve themselves, I'm betting they could tell you what the minimum has been in the last week, and I'm also betting its also going to be enough to fill a minimum of hundreds of servers, not dozens.

BTW, if you didn't want to present it as a "cold hard fact", there are ways to do that without saying "dozens" or whatever.
For instance, it could have been:
"Now more than a year after its release, Team Fortress 2, Valve's stylish class-based first-person shooter, is still one of the more popular online shooter games."

Now I'm no writer, so I'm pretty sure you could say something like that in a better form than I could. And just to be clear, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here.

And as well, I overall liked the article. Just that first paragraph bugs me.

Vim-Hogar:

WolfLordAndy:

I think it's worth noting that the Xbox 360's architecture isn't nearly as PC-like as that of the original Xbox. The 360 is supposed to be easier to code for than the PS3, though (having done a little Cell programming myself, I don't doubt it), so you still have a good point.

I think its mostly to do with EA's optimisations of the PC coding into 360/ps3 stuff, not entirely sure, I'm no coder, I do graphic design - I just make pretty things, but they announced it along with the latest news about scout update and t3 engi stuff, spy cloak, etc.

WolfLordAndy:

Vim-Hogar:

WolfLordAndy:

I think its mostly to do with EA's optimisations of the PC coding into 360/ps3 stuff, not entirely sure, I'm no coder, I do graphic design - I just make pretty things, but they announced it along with the latest news about scout update and t3 engi stuff, spy cloak, etc.

Its closer to vista than XP though. Thats one reason I belive that MS is pushing vista so hard (like thier halo 2 PC release that claims it needs vista to run when it doesn't).
For instance, MS changed the entire sound system and screwed sound card manufactures (like creative) in vista, and oddly enough choose a system that is much more similar to xbox. Of course creative screwed the pooch too with thier vista drivers being in such a horrible state for such a long time (a year or 2?)

shMerker:
"Bludgeoned" just means being hit with a melee weapon, that includes the khukri....

Why call it that? Most people call it a machete, so is it listed in-game as a khukri or something?

Anywho why have the updates not come to the 360?

Knight Templar:

shMerker:
"Bludgeoned" just means being hit with a melee weapon, that includes the khukri....

Why call it that? Most people call it a machete, so is it listed in-game as a khukri or something?

Anywho why have the updates not come to the 360?

Probably because of the shape. You can google up similar weapons and see. I always call it machete myself, because most people know what that is.

The updates, I seem to recall a valve statement about MS restrictions on the updates, so thats likely to play a role.

Nathan Meunier:

genauguy:
why can't they release updates for xbox 360? seeing as they havn't, can someone answer my question?

They are currently working on releasing ALL of the PC updates for the Xbox 360 version, though there isn't a solid date as to when that stuff will roll out as far as I'm aware of.

Yeah, they've been working on releasing it for a long time now. I think they're currently waiting for the scout update to be finished but it's a real pain for us console gamers who have been waiting for so long. It would be nice if they at least gave us some more info on it.

I have been hearing rumors and news about a 360 update for months, and I refuse to start holding my breath now. Go ahead, prove me wrong, Valve!

Valve take their time.

But almost always release something high quality, so it's normally worth the wait.

great article, is it just me, but can you go for 1 day without seeing one of this guys stories?

Knight Templar:

shMerker:

Because it is a khukri. I'm also not most people. You are free to call it a machete if you like. I'm aware I wasn't clear in giving you my permission on that matter when I made my earlier post.

*twiddling thumbs, rocking back and forth in the fetal position and mutters*

xbox360 update,xbox360 update,xbox360 update,xbox360 update,xbox360 update,xbox360 update....

It's the best Multiplayer FPS I have ever played.
For single player.. HL 2.
And I might just be a Valve Fanboy now that I think of it..
And I would have liked it alot more if we would just get the weapons instantly.. less lucky random bastards and less achievement whoring jerkfaces.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here