Zero Punctuation: Dark Souls 2 - Prepare to Die Again

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dark Souls 2 - Prepare to Die Again

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Dark Souls 2.

Watch Video

This is another reason why I really hate delayed PC ports. The horrible dilema whether or not I should watch the video. Had the same issue with Assassin's Creed 4, altough this time I really care about trying to avoid spoilers of the game...

It's interesting to see Yahtzee so gung ho about a game. I approve! (not that you asked for or need my approval, but still)

I've never played any of the SOULS games though. The older I get, the less patience I seem to have for this kind of relentless challenge. I get frustrated far too quickly nowadays.

Maybe some day though. I think I got Dark Souls from a friend during a Steam sale, so perhaps I'll install it and give it a go at some point.

Cheers! :)

shadowxvii:
This is another reason why I really hate delayed PC ports. The horrible dilema whether or not I should watch the video. Had the same issue with Assassin's Creed 4, altough this time I really care about trying to avoid spoilers of the game...

Yeah I get what you mean

Especially when friggen everyone is let's playing this game on youtube >..< makes it very hard to avoid spoilers

I want to hear Yahtzee say 'tortoise' a lot more. I love that pronunciation.

ZZoMBiE13:
It's interesting to see Yahtzee so gung ho about a game. I approve! (not that you asked for or need my approval, but still)

I've never played any of the SOULS games though. The older I get, the less patience I seem to have for this kind of relentless challenge. I get frustrated far too quickly nowadays.

Maybe some day though. I think I got Dark Souls from a friend during a Steam sale, so perhaps I'll install it and give it a go at some point.

The first one is often on a super sale during one of steam's sale events :) I found it once for 7 bucks on there. It's definitly a interesting game atmosphere, with the combat feeling very satisfying. You get the feel that your weapons are powerful

I too am awaiting the real version as well. And with all the extra time and effort put into it, I hope it doesn't fall flat on its face with bugs and needing a number of patches.

Go back and play Demon's Souls Yahtzee. It's fun. And it hates us all.

One more month...*goes and cries in the corner*

Anyway, good to see that you somewhat enjoyed the sequel as well.

Mosesj:

ZZoMBiE13:

The first one is often on a super sale during one of steam's sale events :) I found it once for 7 bucks on there. It's definitly a interesting game atmosphere, with the combat feeling very satisfying. You get the feel that your weapons are powerful

I pulled up my Steam library after posting that. I do have it on my list.

Maybe I'll give it a shot after I am through with InFamous: Second Son. If it can even charm Yahtzee then there must be something special about the SOULS games, amiright?

When you go back and play Demons' Souls (Yes its plural possessive), you will notice how much of dark souls pulls from Demons' Souls. Blighttown and the Gutter are just new versions of the Valley of Defilement. Demons Souls had half your health bar gone always when you were not human. The world design was also similar as well, A central hub with a woman who upgrades you that spans off into numerous hubs that you can start warping from at the start. Actually Dark Souls 2 imo is more Demons's Souls then Dark Souls.

ZZoMBiE13:

Maybe I'll give it a shot after I am through with InFamous: Second Son. If it can even charm Yahtzee then there must be something special about the SOULS games, amiright?

Before you play it on Steam, better get some of the mods installed. The base PC version is pants. Check NexusMods.com

I don't often laugh uncontrollably at things on the internet, but 'You must have a SMACK and a SMACK and a SMACK and a SMACK! How dare you? How dare you? How dare you?' got me good.

Well, Yahtzee sold me on giving the first game a try next time there's a big steam sale. After that I'll decide whether or not to get the second one.

I loved the ending to this video about buying the real version when it comes out. That's usually how I approach things these days.

ZZoMBiE13:

Mosesj:

ZZoMBiE13:

I pulled up my Steam library after posting that. I do have it on my list.

Mhm, it's a good game. Make sure you experiment with weapons when you first start. They appeal to different styles and you might be surprised by what you like. Also, make sure to look up some tips first

This sounds like medieval STALKER. I should play it.
When the real version comes out... :P ...

This video is strongly connected to his last "Lets Drown Out..." podcast on his YouTube channel where it didn't go as planned, but oh well (GTA San Andreas). Watch the video after the podcast and you'll see it differently.

Hey, he said that Souls 2 was "easier for the noobs". As a noob to the Souls series, is it a good idea to do 2 first to get the hang of it and then do one? Any veterans got anything to say?

Ne1butme:

ZZoMBiE13:

Before you play it on Steam, better get some of the mods installed. The base PC version is pants. Check NexusMods.com

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do that.

I agree with all the criticisms but I love both DkS and DkS2 equally, and yes, I will also be getting the PC version once it comes out. =)

Of course, when the real version comes out, most people won't bother until it's 75% off and they made all the money for the game from selling Counter Strike stuff.

He needs to get to NG+, that's when the real game begins. Yeah, I know that sounds like a dubious "it get's better later" statement, and well, it is. But I only say that since about 2/3 of his complaints are addressed in NG+. As in they're gone completely.

I'd say the game improved in spades what DKS did. The areas and world are better than DKS imo. Don't get me wrong I love the burg, both Londos, Sen's Fortress, and the like. But Dark Souls 2 has the feeling DKS gave all over again. The undead crypt and a few other areas are pretty memorable.

I have to disagree on one thing though, and I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the big dudes in armor bosses. I like them for several reasons. 1) I like their armor and weapons, which you can almost always obtain for yourself adding more reasons for me to play the game. 2) Those bosses were the memorable ones from DKS, at least for me. Gaping Dragon was cool, and his lore was interesting, but it just seemed like an overindulgence in horror schlock an edgy DnD dungeon master would think up. Same with the Old Iron King and a few others. Old Iron King looked like a monster from FF. That's a big fucking no no. Let's stay away from that poison. 3) It's more opportunity for them to fight like another player would. Artorias, Ornstein, and I suppose Manus(still a humanoid appearance) all either jumped backwards, rolled away, lunged, and combo'd their moves resulting in challenging fights.

That is the one thing I really love about the design of this game. Just about every enemy (even trash mobs) can combo/chain their attacks and catch you with low stamina. Couple that with how they now wait to attack you in groups, and it's a much more rigorous ordeal than the first.

Under_your_bed:
Hey, he said that Souls 2 was "easier for the noobs". As a noob to the Souls series, is it a good idea to do 2 first to get the hang of it and then do one? Any veterans got anything to say?

I would like to know this as well.

Still, really enjoyed the video. That barrage of slaps had me rolling on the floor.

Under_your_bed:

Sort of, yea. I felt like the beginning tried to ease you into it more, at least as much as can be expected from this series. There were rarely any bosses that took me more than two or three tries to beat. That being said, some of the later areas can be pretty difficult, but you'll probably have a pretty good idea of what you're doing by then, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'd love to give these games a go, but as a college student I have neither the time nor the patience to spend hours on end dying. Perhaps some day in the distant future...but by then Inquisition will be out...

marioandsonic:

Under_your_bed:

I would like to know this as well.

Still, really enjoyed the video. That barrage of slaps had me rolling on the floor.

Dark Souls 2 is a fine place to start. The stats and tutorials are more forgiving. It's made lots of improvements in terms of accessibility. It's easier to understand equipment burden, upgrading equipment, and other things. A few seconds going over the stats of your character sheet and what they mean will take you a lot farther in 2 than in the other games, imo.

I'd say go for it.

Under_your_bed:

Here's a tip: Don't.

There are better, less frustratingly ass-backwards games out there that are worth far more of your time and money.

Yes I hate the series with every fibre of my being, why do you ask?

Branindain:

Machine Man 1992:

Under_your_bed:

Here's a tip: Don't.

There are better, less frustratingly ass-backwards games out there that are worth far more of your time and money.

Yes I hate the series with every fibre of my being, why do you ask?

Oh look, Machine Man got in before Zira this time.

You know when console fanboys come onto forums to tell you that games on the other console, that they haven't played, are bad? I've always found those people so interesting and insightful.

Yahtzee's videos always seem to generate interesting threads. So many people who either passionately agree or disagree.

Machine Man is a good one. I hope he at least makes the thread entertaining with his misplaced and misguided rage over a video game.

I haven't even played the first one yet, but I did buy it. I really hope to get around to playing it soon. By the time I'm done, maybe the second part will be really cheap already? :-D

Love the mention of "the real version", as if to say that consoles are nothing more than bad versions of games that are clearly better on PC. Truth hurts.

Ishal:
Yahtzee's videos always seem to generate interesting threads. So many people who either passionately agree or disagree.

That's true. My personal favourite Yahtzee thread is anytime he reviews a Nintendo game, ever. Those poor Ninty fans are on the defensive something fierce, even when he's sorta nice to them (which is almost never, but then, join the club).

I've been meaning to get into Dark Souls. Should I just play Prepare to Die edition or hold out for DS2 PC?

Rabidkitten:
When you go back and play Demons' Souls (Yes its plural possessive), you will notice how much of dark souls pulls from Demons' Souls. Blighttown and the Gutter are just new versions of the Valley of Defilement. Demons Souls had half your health bar gone always when you were not human. The world design was also similar as well, A central hub with a woman who upgrades you that spans off into numerous hubs that you can start warping from at the start. Actually Dark Souls 2 imo is more Demons's Souls then Dark Souls.

One thing that I've been wondering is if your health loss from dying in Dark Souls 2 caps out at half, or if it's possible to pretty much put yourself into a permanent fail state by depleting your health too much and not having any "humanity restorers" available.

I'm waiting for the PC version, but this is the big question that's been bugging me about this one.

Would it be fair to say that Dark Souls 2 would be a good starting point for someone such as myself, who is quite curious about the Souls games but hasn't had the courage to step in just yet? From the sound of things, it's a tad more user-friendly, so I was thinking about playing them in reverse order.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here