The Escapist Presents: The Final Round of March Mayhem 2014! Valve vs. Firaxis!

The Final Round of March Mayhem 2014! Valve vs. Firaxis!

This is it, the final round of March Mayhem 2014! Who will take the title, Firaxis or Valve?

New to March Mayhem? Click here for more info and then start filling out your bracket!

Click here to discuss this match up in the forums!

Watch Video

Have Valve even made a game this year? I didn't realise people were voting for publishers these days.

BrotherRool:
Have Valve even made a game this year? I didn't realise people were voting for publishers these days.

DOTA 2 was released last July.

Legion:

BrotherRool:

In name only. DOTA 2 was released in 2012 in practicality. There was not a single person in the world who wanted to play DOTA 2 and couldn't because they couldn't find a beta key. In fact most people I knew had multiple beta keys, often over 10. The DOTA 2 beta was the normal criticism flame shield people use when they want people to be playing (and importantly paying for their game) but they don't want people to complain about any bugs or imbalances in said game that they are playing and paying for. And then they also get a nice new publicity boost when they arbitrarily declare the game out of beta.

It wasn't quite as bad as Playstation Home. But it was was pretty bad. The fact that there were over 30 major professional DOTA tournaments by December 2012 is a pretty good indicator on how BS the beta label was. People were playing routinely for over $20,000, you can't call it some accomplishment of Valve that DOTA 2 was playable in July 2013.

What's the point of this contest anymore? It's clear that Valve is going to win every year because that's all the fanboys want. They don't actually look at the contest. Valve won against at least two developers it shouldn't have this year. They don't deserve the win and if you voted for them you should be ashamed.

I think I'm done with March Mayhem. It's a pissing contest and Valve always seem to have the longest stream. No one else is even a contender. Screw that.

Since I have equal love for Valve and Firaxis, I'm going to comment on something I think we can all get behind:

One of the guys in the video sounds a LOT like Bob Odenkirk. Seriously, did anyone else hear that?

Ryuuske:
What's the point of this contest anymore? It's clear that Valve is going to win every year because that's all the fanboys want. They don't actually look at the contest. Valve won against at least two developers it shouldn't have this year. They don't deserve the win and if you voted for them you should be ashamed.

I think I'm done with March Mayhem. It's a pissing contest and Valve always seem to have the longest stream. No one else is even a contender. Screw that.

It always has been, since it started, just a random popularity contest that really doesn't reflect anything other than who the fanboys will vote for like you said. And if there is anything that fanboys on PCs love to get on their knees for, its Valve. So this isn't really a surprise.

I'm gonna have to go with Firaxis on this one: my hometown heroes! Civ V and XCom: two games that I have both logged over 180 hours in.... I love valve, but I haven't played any of their products that long. I mean I've spent over 40 hours in just a single game of Civ 5 (love me some marathon mode.)

Damnit, now I want to play Half Life 2 again.

Anyway, even as a Valve "fanboy" who's never played a game by Firaxis before, I don't think they should win this year. If Valve can win in a year where they hardly even released a game, what chance does anyone ever have really?

BrotherRool:

Legion:

BrotherRool:

In name only. DOTA 2 was released in 2012 in practicality. There was not a single person in the world who wanted to play DOTA 2 and couldn't because they couldn't find a beta key. In fact most people I knew had multiple beta keys, often over 10. The DOTA 2 beta was the normal criticism flame shield people use when they want people to be playing (and importantly paying for their game) but they don't want people to complain about any bugs or imbalances in said game that they are playing and paying for. And then they also get a nice new publicity boost when they arbitrarily declare the game out of beta.

It wasn't quite as bad as Playstation Home. But it was was pretty bad. The fact that there were over 30 major professional DOTA tournaments by December 2012 is a pretty good indicator on how BS the beta label was. People were playing routinely for over $20,000, you can't call it some accomplishment of Valve that DOTA 2 was playable in July 2013.

Considering there wasn't even a March Mayhem last year, it seems only fair they get to count it for this year instead, otherwise it goes completely unrecognized, which seems unfair.

BrotherRool:

You could ask that for pretty much every indie dev on the list. Them winning with 1 or 0 games against big companies that released several great games is plain pantsu on head retarded.
I wanted to avoid this years Mayhem and not see the results, yet here I am, disappointed. What a surprise that the escapist has no taste and votes only based on the inner fanboy voice.

Although the fact that they put just "Nintendo" as a developer is a rather huge indicator on how serious you can take this popularity contest. It's not like Nintendo is a publisher with many internal developer like Kyoto 1-5 Tokyo 1-2, Monolith Soft, Retro Studio, 1-UP Studio, Creatures Inc., Intelligent Systems and Nd Cube. Hey, they are all just one developer.

BiH-Kira:

BrotherRool:

You could ask that for pretty much every indie dev on the list. Them winning with 1 or 0 games against big companies that released several great games is plain pantsu on head retarded.
I wanted to avoid this years Mayhem and not see the results, yet here I am, disappointed. What a surprise that the escapist has no taste and votes only based on the inner fanboy voice.

Although the fact that they put just "Nintendo" as a developer is a rather huge indicator on how serious you can take this popularity contest. It's not like Nintendo is a publisher with many internal developer like Kyoto 1-5 Tokyo 1-2, Monolith Soft, Retro Studio, 1-UP Studio, Creatures Inc., Intelligent Systems and Nd Cube. Hey, they are all just one developer.

Yeah the developer/publisher thing really messes things up. If they mainly stuck to specific studios then the 'only released one game' thing would make sense. It'd also make the contest more interesting because every year you'd get a different mixture of developers, Eidos Montreal would only show up every 3 years, Rockstar North every 5 etc.

But if we're going to let big publishers compete and if the Escapist is ready to vote for studios that basically haven't made a game that year... It's not just that it's a popularity contest because popularity contests can be interesting, it's that it's the same popularity contest every year

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here