The Escapist Show: Episode 12: Gaming in the Triangle

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Episode 12: Gaming in the Triangle

This week, Russ and crew get suited up to visit three of the most prominent development studios in the Triangle: Red Storm Entertainment, Vicious Cycle Software and Epic Games.

This week's musical guests:
Ian Dorsch - "The Escapist Show Theme"
Younnat - "Jedi Arkadyi", "The Day After Tomorrow"
Martin Ahm - "Force"
Frank Klepacki - "Awakening"

Watch Video

As usual ad as expected, great job, Russ seems to be having a lot of fun in the recent shows.

Is it really nerdy I recognized the theme from California Games in Epic?
And "A World of Her Pwn" cracks me up.

Hehe one of the guys was "working" but was really playing Team fortress 2 .

I am glad that series didn't win the film festival, other than that, it was great.

thisbymaster:

Research, my friend. Research.

/wink

Susan Arendt:

thisbymaster:

Research, my friend. Research.

/wink

Yeah, that's what I was doing all last night...research...Honest guv.

Great, I think it was my favorite so far

Sweet Yahtzee is going to review Farcry 2! That Vicious cycle game looks pretty good. Did you guys actually get to meet CliffB?

lets see i make $18/Hr that video lasted 13 oh lets say 14/mins you guys owe me ..carry the one about $4.02 plus pain and suffering about $35. minus the time it take you to read this $5.00.
that comes out to $34.02. I expect the check is in the mail.

Does it bother anyone else that all the "Triangle area" game studios shown are actually outside of the triangle?

Dante_Alucard:
lets see i make $18/Hr that video lasted 13 oh lets say 14/mins you guys owe me ..carry the one about $4.02 plus pain and suffering about $35. minus the time it take you to read this $5.00.

you didnt have to watch it.

O.O My god... I LIVE THERE!

Miral:
Does it bother anyone else that all the "Triangle area" game studios shown are actually outside of the triangle?

Yes, but I'm fairly pedantic. 3 towns are involved, but that doesn't mean you can draw a perfect shape over all the gaming developers there.

The skits were a bit weak, but stuff is always funnier if you're there and Russ looked like he was having a great time. The reporting was good though and world of her pwn alternates between great and annoying...

Is that Triangle convention thingee open to the public? I bet it wouldn't cost that much to fly from Boston to Raleigh if I keep my eyes open for deals.

smallharmlesskitten:

Dante_Alucard:

you didnt have to watch it.

I know but I Love most of the stuff on the escapist except that puppet shat and some the supermario crap that is on here so I try to give everything a try. And I also don't know if something is going to be good at the end.

See, this is how I think the Escapist Show should be all the time. It usually seems like more of a "Hey this game is coming out!" than what I expected, which is like more of a documentary or news show with a focus on games.

If they could do some "History of <genre>" videos or maybe some more topics that aren't specific to single games, I think the show could be a lot better than it is now.

Basically, make the rest of the shows like this one. I liked it.

That 'Eat Lead' game looks like a cyber western, intriguing! Also Russ reminds me of Steve Carrel, that is a compliment :D

World of pwn still is not winning me over personally, but I can tell the effort they are putting in and can appreciate that.

As for the triangle convention, I think this community would love more information as well.

Tenmar:

As for the triangle convention, I think this community would love more information as well.

Here you go

http://www.trianglegameconference.com/

Logie--bear:
That 'Eat Lead' game looks like a cyber western, intriguing! Also Russ reminds me of Steve Carrel, that is a compliment :D

From what I recall, Eat Lead is about a retired video game hero making a comeback in next gen graphics, only to find out the latest game is a plot to kill him. It's a game that breaks the fourth wall by having you play a game character that actually IS a game character in a game. It's like Bruce Willis playing the role of a retired action star in a new action movie, to be dragged into a real action movie.

Confused? :D

Also, I do enjoy a World of Her Pwn. It's sweet!

After watching that video I have one thing to confess...

I absolutely love redheads! I NEED MORE SAM :O

Yea, I thought that one guy was Playing TF2, wasn't sure though...

Woooo! VERY jealous I wasn't in this episode! It was all kinds of awesome! Next time, Mason...next time.... >=-D

carnkhan4:

Miral:

Yes, but I'm fairly pedantic. 3 towns are involved, but that doesn't mean you can draw a perfect shape over all the gaming developers there.

The skits were a bit weak, but stuff is always funnier if you're there and Russ looked like he was having a great time. The reporting was good though and world of her pwn alternates between great and annoying...

It's fine that they all weren't over the triangle but none of them were. The importance of the triangle seemed to be that it was orbited by companies.

Great job, guys - really an entertaining, cool episode :) Looking forward to the next

carnkhan4:

Miral:

They are in the Triangle. It's a geographic region made up of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and their suburbs. Morrisville is located between all three, and Carrboro and Cary abut Chapel Hill and Raleigh, respectively, such that one cannot tell where one ends and the other begins. It's really one large metro area with people traveling between the cities frequently; I work in Durham, but live in Cary, and often go out in Raleigh, for example.

So, you can put your botheredness (It's OK, I'm an Editor) at ease. Knowing is half the battle.

Another good episode. I liked the overview, the slight humour (Especially the Bull part. What was that bull even doing there?) and it also rekindled my long lost love of caffeine.

Also, I'm starting to think that Russ likes being followed around by the camera.

Combined:
Another good episode. I liked the overview, the slight humour (Especially the Bull part. What was that bull even doing there?) and it also rekindled my long lost love of caffeine.

Also, I'm starting to think that Russ likes being followed around by the camera.

The mascot of the Durham baseball team is the Bull, and thus the bull pops up all over Durham.

That Bull in paticular blows smoke out its nostrils when there's a home run.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Is it really nerdy I recognized the theme from California Games in Epic?

Not as nerdy as my screaming "It's the Doom Doors sound!" when I was watching an episode of Doctor Who, or my repeat watching of a single scene of Top Gear to ensure that it was really Hell March by Frank Klepacki in the background.

Russ, was that a quick shot of you doing mocap for Red Storm??

Great video, really informative.

I love behind the scenes shows, keep'm coming Escapists!

This show continues to impress me, especially a World of Her Pwn! (I totally would have gone with the Monkey Suit though.)

Lebeau's Bounty:
Russ, was that a quick shot of you doing mocap for Red Storm??

They were showing me how it's done. Which seems to involve wearing an EXTREMELY tight spandex suit and standing around getting pointed and laughed at. We'll feature more of that segment in a later episode.

Nerdfury:

Logie--bear:

From what I recall, Eat Lead is about a retired video game hero making a comeback in next gen graphics, only to find out the latest game is a plot to kill him. It's a game that breaks the fourth wall by having you play a game character that actually IS a game character in a game. It's like Bruce Willis playing the role of a retired action star in a new action movie, to be dragged into a real action movie.

Holy crap, that is one of the best and most original ideas for a game I have heard of in a while

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here