Unskippable: Thief - How to Ruin a Robbery

Well of course industrial enlightenment has to start with monks chanting. It also needs to feature balms and holy oil. And more chanting. How else do you think are we going to appease those Machine Spirits? Scientific method? Well-planned maintenance? Research? That's crazytalk. Heretical crazytalk to be precise.

Someone really dropped the ball on those subtitles. This was really quite irritating. I wonder how how this got through QA.
Oh wait, I forgot. We don't do that anymore.

You know, Nolan North gets a lot of guff from people, but if they had to replace Stephen Russell they should have picked him as an actor experienced with snark who genuinely seems to enjoy his work, rather than Gravelthroat McGrimdark III.

They should have given the girl a red shirt.

Don Reba:

But if she wore a red shirt it would have spoiled that wonderfully constructed narrative, ruining my immersion within this world of characters I know and love so well. Completely shattering the mystery surrounding [character] and Garrett. Have you no soul?

Don Reba:

SilverStuddedSquirre:

But if she wore a red shirt it would have spoiled that wonderfully constructed narrative, ruining my immersion within this world of characters I know and love so well. Completely shattering the mystery surrounding [character] and Garrett. Have you no soul?

OT: Yeah, the naming convention at work here makes Thief 2014 kinda like Sonic '06. Except I'm still interested in playing it, despite the whinging of people on the internet.

Never underestimate the importance of eye shadow...

I admit to now being vaguely curious about the story of this game.

CorvusFerreum:

Someone really dropped the ball on those subtitles. This was really quite irritating. I wonder how how this got through QA.
Oh wait, I forgot. We don't do that anymore.

I don't know what happened with those subtitles! The monks in QA chanted extra hard at them!

The eye shadow thing bugs me more than it reasonably should. The point of camo face paint is to break up the distinctive visual contours of the face - you darken areas that shine, like the forehead and nose, and lighten darker areas, like the eyes, to even things out.

What Garrett's doing is making the dark areas of his face even darker. It's basically the medieval version of the "stealth lights" on Sam Fisher's uniform.

Thunderous Cacophony:
You know, Nolan North gets a lot of guff from people, but if they had to replace Stephen Russell they could have done worse than an actor experienced with snark who genuinely seems to enjoy his work, rather than Gravelthroat McGrimdark III.

Was Nolan North actually in this? I don't see it on his IMDB page.

I've only played two games starring Nolan North -- Spec Ops: The Line, and the original Assassin's Creed -- but I actually thought the guard pushing them around sounded like Captain Walker, with the gruffness that got put in that voice.

Well that was thoroughly incomprehensible in every way possible, and they couldn't have just had the roof ripping open and her falling in, it had to be "let me stretch myself out across this unstable pane of glass while the surrounding building visually loses all it's structural integrity."
If I had been Garrett I would have been tempted to leave her there. Whoever she was, because an explanation wasn't even attempted, just "Here's a girl / She's dead" - DRAMA!

UNHchabo:

Thunderous Cacophony:
You know, Nolan North gets a lot of guff from people, but if they had to replace Stephen Russell they could have done worse than an actor experienced with snark who genuinely seems to enjoy his work, rather than Gravelthroat McGrimdark III.

I've only played two games starring Nolan North -- Spec Ops: The Line, and the original Assassin's Creed -- but I actually thought the guard pushing them around sounded like Captain Walker, with the gruffness that got put in that voice.

No, that's bad phrasing on my part. I meant that Nolan North SHOULD have been cast as Garrett, rather than the generic voice actor they did get.

This Dishonored sequel looked pretty meh

I have no idea what is going on here..

I am gonna go play Dishonored. It makes more sense.

It also has magic.

You know it's a bad sign when you start seeing voices.

And incidentally does anyone have any actual idea what was going on here? 'Cause I sure don't.

So..much...shakey-cam...and...off-sync...subtitles! You guys did a bang up job taking this game down.

Wait... so who the hell were those guys with the cart and what were they trying to do anyway?

Thunderous Cacophony:

UNHchabo:

Thunderous Cacophony:

No, that's bad phrasing on my part. I meant that Nolan North SHOULD have been cast as Garrett, rather than the generic voice actor they did get.

Guy's name is Romano Orzari wo seems to have been in a lot of movies I haven't seen. His only previous video game role I found was Giovanni Auditore from Assassins Creed II and Linage (which I haven't played). I'd still give him the benefit of a doubt that he has more range than just gravelly, it's just that gravelly voices are the go to voice for grimdark characters these days.

Speaking of gravel: If they wanted that they should have taken Steve Blum.

And if they do so they should let him go bonkers.

But seriously, I think North might have been a better choice. Or perhaps Paul Dobson. If they really really had to change the voiceactor.

ThatDarnCoyote:

The eye shadow thing bugs me more than it reasonably should. The point of camo face paint is to break up the distinctive visual contours of the face - you darken areas that shine, like the forehead and nose, and lighten darker areas, like the eyes, to even things out.

What Garrett's doing is making the dark areas of his face even darker. It's basically the medieval version of the "stealth lights" on Sam Fisher's uniform.

Yeah it really is kinda stupid. But this and the all black clothes remembered me of the Ankh-Morpork Assassins' Guild and for that it gets at least some bonus points.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here