Trailers: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - "Banished from Death" Story Trailer

What the...? Is this a LotR based Dark Souls ripoff? I mean, a lone undead hero who keeps coming back to life after being killed fighting off monsters in epic dark fantasy landscapes... Am I the only one who made the connection?

And how come I haven't ever heard of it? I don't really have my finger on the pulse of recent gaming releases, but I still find it baffling that this is the first time I met with this...

GabeZhul:
What the...? Is this a LotR based Dark Souls ripoff? I mean, a lone undead hero who keeps coming back to life after being killed fighting off monsters in epic dark fantasy landscapes... Am I the only one who made the connection?

And how come I haven't ever heard of it? I don't really have my finger on the pulse of recent gaming releases, but I still find it baffling that this is the first time I met with this...

I also thought it was similar to Dark Souls and yeah i never heard about this game until today.
Quite odd.

Pre-Order Now and get the Dark Ranger...Like seriously this sounds like a bad ripoff that's going make people regret those pre-orders.

They ripping off planescape torment story or something?

ExtraDebit:
They ripping off planescape torment story or something?

I have to agree. This sounds way more like PS:T than DS. Especially that repeated waking up in the same place seems lifted (mortuary slab anyone?).

I believe the gameplay and mechanism could be good, but I don't have much hope for originality or lore-adherence in the story now.

For those that never heard of the game

Please be good please be good please be good. I've been interested in this game since it was announced and it has the potential to scratch my LOTR itch that hasn't gotten any attention since those old games based on the movies back on my Gamecube.

Looks ok, pretty generic as far as the setting goes, but then they are working with the foundation of modern fantasy so its gonna be. Story sounds ok, kinda over done. Clearly gonna wait to see more than a pre-rendered cutscene to decide whether I want it or not, though it sounds like my bag. We'll see.

However, I am going to have to indulge one petty gripe. The Reaper noises (I can't come up with a better name, the BWOOOOOOM sound you get when Reapers from the Mass Effect Universe fire, or move, or fart). This noise is now officially goddamn everywhere. Its like the new sound for drama.

"Hey, we need like 20% more drama in this thing. Someone grab the spare reaper."
BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here