'Rassle Dazzle: A Wrestlemania Recap

Pages 1 2 NEXT

'Rassle Dazzle: A Wrestlemania Recap

So what happened at the 30th installment of the annual pay-per-view event. MovieBob grapples with the results.

Read Full Article

I take back what I said about being interested in this column every time (every week?).
I tried to read this, but for some reason this is a terribly uninteresting subject to me. I want to say it's because this was never a thing where I grew up, but The Big Picture has touched on so many things I knew very little about and they were all interesting... so I don't know.
Still looking forward to next time, though.

Also, I guess "instalment" has one "L" (source: my browser's spellcheck)

The official Cesaro/Swagger split happened in the aftermath of the tag title match you didn't see.

My favorite part of 21-1 was the fact that Lesnar's music didn't play for a good five minutes after the pin. Like even the SOUND GUYS were stunned. Just added to the somewhat surreal nature of it.

I find it amazing that wrestling is still this popular. I ate this stuff up in the 80s and early 90s but sort of grew out of it. I think it was overly retarded story lines that started popping up. I guess it's the recalling of my childhood because this article filled me with a little bit of sadness regarding the Undertaker.

antidonkey:
I find it amazing that wrestling is still this popular. I ate this stuff up in the 80s and early 90s but sort of grew out of it. I think it was overly retarded story lines that started popping up. I guess it's the recalling of my childhood because this article filled me with a little bit of sadness regarding the Undertaker.

Think Nascar. Cars drive, people "fight," an audience that measures its value in society by how much consumer junk it can buy gets its bread and circus for the week.

Chris Ingersoll:
The official Cesaro/Swagger split happened in the aftermath of the tag title match you didn't see.

My favorite part of 21-1 was the fact that Lesnar's music didn't play for a good five minutes after the pin. Like even the SOUND GUYS were stunned. Just added to the somewhat surreal nature of it.

Because they may have been, Taker went to the hospital via ambulance directly after the match, so there's a running theory that he sustained a legit injury and couldn't finish the match as scripted.

SnakeoilSage:

antidonkey:

Think Nascar. Cars drive, people "fight," an audience that measures its value in society by how much consumer junk it can buy gets its bread and circus for the week.

Or we like our entertainment physical with some storytelling sprinkled in. Not everyone who watches WWE is comparable to the average NASCAR fan, but then I'd be amazed the day that someone didn't come out and say something that was a jab at another's intelligence or character for liking something. BTW, 90% of wrestling fans know its scripted, the other 10% are children who still believe in Santa and mentally handicapped folk. Also WWE is watched all over the world not just the USA.
You may not get this stuff, or why folk like it and thats well and good, but some of us see something of value in it (I daresay a lot more of us than you think).

You know what? I'm on board.

There's like 5 GoT things on the front page at the moment, and I have no interest in that. It's complete saturation with GoT everywhere lately (and that's fine for the people that liked it, but I'm not one of them). Having a break for something that I took an interest to in my childhood is a nice break.

So, sure most people complain that wrestling is too predictable and stale (example: John Cena). So when they have Undertake actually drop the streak to a part-timer. You know what? Great. You actually surprised the audience and reminded them that indeed, anything can happen.

Haven't been really interested in wrestlin in... many years, but this column was indeed an interesting read. And as also mentioned, there's so much GoT stuff flying around that it's a refreshing change.

Honestly still stunned Taker lost.

I know all the reasons that it should/could have happened and all but I won't lie - another piece of my childhood died just there.

Warrior wasn't there. Instantly don't care.

bdcjacko:

Um, he WAS there, he was going into their Hall of Fame, and gave a crazy long/amazing Shoot speech the night before.

But still, you know... Reading... Hard.

Danial:

bdcjacko:

Um, he WAS there, he was going into their Hall of Fame, and gave a crazy long/amazing Shoot speech the night before.

But still, you know... Reading... Hard.

it is, I'm dyslexic. :(

I'm actually ashamed to admit I walked away from the TV during the Taker/Lesner match. The build was pathetic beyond words and there was 0 part of me that didn't think Taker would walk away the winner. I came back about 10 seconds before the third F-5. Saw it happen, figured Taker would kick out so I walked into the kitchen to grab another soda.

Count 1, open the fridge. Count 2, reaching in for the soda. Then it happened. Count 3. I literally stopped mid-grab because I couldn't believe it. Taker doesn't lose at Wrestlemania, ever. In 21 years Taker has never lost. Its been a fixture of my life since I started watching wrestling when I was 12 years old. I ran back to the living room because I thought that maybe I just misheard the count, but there it was. Paul Heyman's shocked face, Lesnar standing in the ring, Undertaker flat on his back, the ref calling for the bell, and the silence. The complete and utter silence of the arena as everyone, including me, let the moment sink in. Undertaker had lost and a part of our childhood was lost with it. I sat there in complete disbelief, my eyes wide, my mouth just hanging open. I don't think I'll ever forget that moment, the moment that Undertaker lost at Wrestlemania 30.

I know to nonwrestling fans and casual fans will look at that and shake their head, probably even laugh. How could a person really give that much of a shit about something fake like wrestling. Its fake, its scripted, they're all just actors in a play, blah blah.

Aside from the actual bullshit of calling it fake (ask someone like Mick Foley how fake wrestling is), there's a connection there. Its not always there, sometimes you just don't get a wrestler, or you don't connect with their gimmick, or they just don't mesh in the ring and you become disinterested. However when that connection is on you really feel something. You feel terrible when someone who works hard and pays his dues gets the shaft over and over like with Daniel Bryan. You feel elated when that same person overcomes the odds, not just the odds but the very authority that kept them down and wins the title. You actually worry for something as strange as a winning streak at a PPV, then feel relief when it gets defended.

And last night, I felt disinterest for that same streak then heartbroken when it fell.

I was watching Takers match, it was getting better as it went along, then I swear I heard him say to lesnar:"Counter into F5" And I thought, this is the man that kicked out of sweet chin music and a pedigree at once, surely a third F5 is nothing? Then the 3 count hit. W.T.F. Devastation, completely and utterly. The part that gets me is that the buildup to the match was so terrible. That was the first thing that hit me. The second was that the WWE took a BIG gamble on how happy the crowd would be with Daniel Bryan winning the title after this. The third thing was this: Why would he lose to a part timer that didn't really need this for his career? It would have benefited someone like CM Punk far more, and since Punk faced him at last years WM, I think he could be quite pissed off because we all know his opinions on part timers...

A quick thought for those who like wrestling but are tired of folks assuming they are half-wits... speaking as someone who isn't a wrestling fan, it could be that what's causing the criticism is a pop-culture version of the Uncanny Valley. There's something simulated here which doesn't quite make it to a level our suspension of belief can deal with, so we reject it. (and, often, people who like it)

That's just a theory, but the more I think about it, the more it works. Of course I'm working only from my perspective so YMMV. It comes from realizing that while I'm not a wrestling fan I am certainly in no position to throw stones. I've got a healthy appreciation for pulp and no particular interest in defining my interests by what's considered 'age appropriate'.

Furthermore I...

a) like comic books, (well, some. I'm not One Of Those, but I can pass)
b) like most comic book related movies and
c) like martial arts movies

So it's decidedly weird to me that formulaic dialogue and fights scripted for a moral and physical spectacle, performed by athletes who are physical caricatures don't work for me. Actually, it's more than that - they leave me embarrassed. On some level I feel like I ought to like this, but it's so... something. And I can't.

Same thing, different subject - by a lot of social criteria I ought to love The Big Bang Theory. But I don't. Despite all the recommendations it always seems like this : http://pvponline.com/comic/2013/07/03/represent

The IT Crowd, on the other hand... brilliant! While equally scripted, it doesn't seem fake. And it has a laff trak.

Go figure.

while watching The Undertaker match I was paying undivided attention because even though I was absolutely sure he was going to win, every year just might be his last match was my thinking, then it happened, I watched the 3-count happen and Paul Heyman rush in to celebrate, but his music wasn't playing so even while shocked I thought "wait a minute this has to be a suspense-move, any second now the Ref is gonna say he accidentally counted the 3 when a shoulder was up and restart the match" but that didn't happen, and while I always knew Taker would have to retire at some point, the streak ending to a part timer really shocked me, but then upon further thought it does make sense, any full-timer would never be able to be anything other than the one who broke the streak, their entire career would carry that moment as their sole accomplishment no matter how many more they had, and they obviously weren't going to give it to an up-and-comer who might pull a Hardy and embarrass everyone who ever knew them (worst case scenario), and as long as the streak was intact, Undertaker would be expected to come back every year, so I kinda get that it had to end, I just wish it wasn't to Brock Lesnar, it just doesn't seem right

Browncoat86:

Chris Ingersoll:

Because they may have been, Taker went to the hospital via ambulance directly after the match, so there's a running theory that he sustained a legit injury and couldn't finish the match as scripted.

Yeah I saw that today. I don't think that had any impact on the outcome (see also: Austin vs. Owen), but it undoubtedly took the quality down a notch or two.

Great article and add me to the list of people shocked the Undertaker lost. I knew he was getting old but losing to Lesnar? Come on, you'd have thought he'd have lost to someone who actually stays with the company for more than a few weeks a year.

I hope Kane does something horrible to Lesnar, going back to the old days when he'd put someone through a wall or something like that.

Also thanks for not writing something about Game of Thrones, never seen an episode and don't care for it at all. If you'd do a recap of Monday Night Raw every week that'd be amazing. Can't wait to see how tonight goes, again I hope badly for Lesnar and I wonder what Cesaro will do now. He does have a lot of talent so part of me is glad he won and I do like the Real Americans so I'm sad they broke up.

I havnt watched wrestling since 2002 but Undertaker should have lost to some one major. Not Brock. Should have been Triple H but with a load of people involved to make it impossible for taker to win. Oh well, its about time he left wrestling while his body is working - he has earned it.

The rest went somewhat as expected (though HHH screwing over DB could have gone ether way).

But holy shit Undertaker lost? and to Lesner? the hell?

I know he is planning to retire but why the hell would they give this to Lesner? He's not going to stay around anymore than the Rock does. They should have given it to someone developing someone who will be around day to day, someone who could have used it to build a career on. They kind made it pointless in way.

Browncoat86:

Chris Ingersoll:

It was reported it had nothing to do with it and I have no idea why anyone would have that theory anyway.

If Taker was meant to win that match, it wouldn't have mattered if he had a broken leg, they would have quickly sent someone out to hit lesner to give taker the DQ, Taker could have easily performed at least a chokeslam for the win with his supposed concussion. There would have been so many outs, they wouldn't end something as big as the streak on a spur of the moment complication.

I was shocked, I knew the streak would end eventually but I think what everyone was waiting for was Kane Vs. Taker 3 at Wrestlemania 31 next year to retire taker - Taker always said it was Kane that he wanted to end the streak, it makes a whole lot more sense story wise, and given that Kane is thinking of packing up the boots in the next few years anyway it could have been an amazing retirement match for both of them.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Or we like our entertainment physical with some storytelling sprinkled in. Not everyone who watches WWE is comparable to the average NASCAR fan, but then I'd be amazed the day that someone didn't come out and say something that was a jab at another's intelligence or character for liking something. BTW, 90% of wrestling fans know its scripted, the other 10% are children who still believe in Santa and mentally handicapped folk. Also WWE is watched all over the world not just the USA.
You may not get this stuff, or why folk like it and thats well and good, but some of us see something of value in it (I daresay a lot more of us than you think).

No need to get all defensive about it.

SnakeoilSage:

No need to get all defensive about it.

Welcome to the internet buddy.

You know what? Screw it. I LIKE that Lesnar won. It proves that ANYTHING can happen in the WWE, and at any time. You should always be on your toes and be prepared for anything to happen when the bell goes 'DING DING DING.'

For a while now, it's been the same old story: 'Maybe this is the year it ends.' Well, creative went and pulled the ultimate fast-one by giving the W to a guy NOBODY expected to win. It was an epic 'GOTCHA' moment, and I loved it!

There was no way I saw Taker's streak ending last night, as soon as I heard that Brock was booked to face him I thought that there was no way they would let some part timer end the streak, it would have to be someone who truly cares about the industry and could be on level with Taker. It really does hurt my childhood a bit, when I first watched wrestling about 9 years ago I saw Taker as almost more than human, I saw him come out of situations that seemed impossible, of course it was all booked that way but still he had such a career built up behind him that it was easy to believe that he could back from some of the hits that were supposed to be match finishers, it was if he was some sort of mythic figure and even now I'll admit the illusion is shattered a bit. That appears to be a problem of making one of your characters be a unstoppable and feared phenom, there's still a person behind the character and in the world of pro wrestling trying to keep up the appearance of an undead monster is extremely hard to do when your performer is getting older and who's body is beginning to fall apart after almost 25 years of physical, psychological, and emotional stress.
So yeah I'm sad to see Taker lose to someone like Brock but I do feel he has earned his retirement, thank you Marc Calloway for entertaining me all these years, your devotion to this business will be remembered for as long as it exists and let me just say that next year when you enter the Hall of Fame I'll definitely be crying. So long and thanks again.

King Whurdler:
You know what? Screw it. I LIKE that Lesnar won. It proves that ANYTHING can happen in the WWE, and at any time. You should always be on your toes and be prepared for anything to happen when the bell goes 'DING DING DING.'

For a while now, it's been the same old story: 'Maybe this is the year it ends.' Well, creative went and pulled the ultimate fast-one by giving the W to a guy NOBODY expected to win. It was an epic 'GOTCHA' moment, and I loved it!

I totally agree! I was watching it at home on Main Event and after Undertaker got pinned I immediately rewound it to see what happened. I turned to my son, shocked and said "Wait, did he just get a three count? That's got to be a mistake." Well done WWE, you really brought the emotion into Wrestlemania 30. I "knew" Daniel Bryan was going to win the belt but that didn't stop me from leaping to my feet when Batista tapped out.

Mouse_Crouse:
You know what? I'm on board.

There's like 5 GoT things on the front page at the moment, and I have no interest in that. It's complete saturation with GoT everywhere lately (and that's fine for the people that liked it, but I'm not one of them). Having a break for something that I took an interest to in my childhood is a nice break.

I wanted to say something about that too. Couldn't believe when I opened the website this morning to a list of so many GoT articles all in a row. It is nice that the Television column seemed to be the only thing that wasn't about that show.

Programmed_For_Damage:

King Whurdler:

I totally agree! I was watching it at home on Main Event and after Undertaker got pinned I immediately rewound it to see what happened. I turned to my son, shocked and said "Wait, did he just get a three count? That's got to be a mistake." Well done WWE, you really brought the emotion into Wrestlemania 30. I "knew" Daniel Bryan was going to win the belt but that didn't stop me from leaping to my feet when Batista tapped out.

A lot of people have theorized that this Wrestlemania was all about passing the torch, the so-called 'reality generation' taking hold, and the past getting the chance to bury the hatchet.

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with them.

-Roddy Piper and Paul Orndoff shook hands with Hulk Hogan and Mr.T; same goes for Steve Austin and The Rock

-John Cena was arguably taken farther than he's ever gone by a chubby redneck with an unkempt beard in a mid-card match. Sure, he got the W, but did he really win?

-In what I'm sure was a callback to past glory, Cesaro straight-up deadlifts the 450 lb. Big Show, a major attitude era star, who then proceeded to respectfully shake his hand

-The Shield absolutely DEMOLISHED Kane and the New Age Outlaws

-Daniel Bryan, everyone's favorite new baby-face won, not one, but two matches against major industry veterans, the second one involving the championship

And on top of all that, the streak came to an end, and while that's sad, Sting is rumored to face Undertaker at Wrestlemania 31 in Silicon Valley, and without the added pressure of the streak, we should get an instant classic.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2014/4/7/5589772/wwe-telling-fans-undertaker-streak-ending-in-denial
^ Great article on the whole thing.

I hypothesized elsewhere that Lesnar won not to benefit Lesnar, but to simply make a dramatic transitonal statement. A legitimate wrestler (with his UFC title and amateur credentials) took out the Last Man Standing of the old guard of "cartoon" wrestlers. This seemed further emphasized by some of the 80s Legends segments where they kind of did "Too old for this shit" statements.

Whether thats a good or bad thing in the long run remains to be seen.

Crap. It -had- to be Lesnar to end the streak? I'd rather it have been anyone, and I mean ANYONE else.

Lesnar's a fine athlete, but he's got crap mic skills, and I can't stand that. He's got no real personality. Paul is a bit too good at being the heel, and can get annoying as all get out. This means both hang around, crow endlessly about beating Undertaker, and basically get on my nerves further. it's likely going to be enough to make me fast forward my DVR every time I see them.
Yeah, Heels are supposed to do get to you like that, but seriously, it does get stale.
The streak ending is wasted on Lesnar, IMO. I imagine, as someone stated earlier, that it wasn't supposed to go down that way.

Lesnar already left several times before, hasn't he? What's to say he won't again?

Rebel_Raven:
Crap. It -had- to be Lesnar to end the streak? I'd rather it have been anyone, and I mean ANYONE else.

Lesnar's a fine athlete, but he's got crap mic skills, and I can't stand that. He's got no real personality. Paul is a bit too good at being the heel, and can get annoying as all get out. This means both hang around, crow endlessly about beating Undertaker, and basically get on my nerves further. it's likely going to be enough to make me fast forward my DVR every time I see them.
Yeah, Heels are supposed to do get to you like that, but seriously, it does get stale.
The streak ending is wasted on Lesnar, IMO. I imagine, as someone stated earlier, that it wasn't supposed to go down that way.

Lesnar already left several times before, hasn't he? What's to say he won't again?

It only got worse when Cesaro revealed himself to be a Paul Heyman guy, at least Cesaro has a personality though where as Lesnar has none. Now we get to hear Paul brag endlessly about both of his guys doing huge things at Wrestlemania for the next few weeks. At least the conflict between Daniel Bryan and the Authority is picking up with the Shield siding with Bryan. I look forward to seeing how that plays out.

Given the ability and power and skill of many of Undertaker's opponents in the previous years... I just didn't see this part timer doing it.

I mean... HBK couldn't do it. Triple H couldnt do it (once with HBK as the special referee). You look at Taker's WM opponents over the years then you look at this guy... *insert derisive snort here*

I really thought the title of "Dead Man Killer" would have gone to someone better...

As someone who grew up being absolutely absorbed in pro wrestling but who hasn't watched or followed it for ages, I'm actually kind of sad that I wasn't watching this. It actually sounds like it was a pretty good show (despite the Undertaker losing.. not sold on that) and makes me want to maybe check back in.

The PPV itself was fantastic. The Crowd was hugely into it. Good fun. Not as good as last year's Summerslam, but not many are going to be.

I doubt Taker loosing was an audible. They had too many cameras ready to pick out the shocked expressions in the crowd. The production guys knew it was coming.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here