Shut Up and Sit Down: Arctic Scavengers - Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold

Arctic Scavengers - Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold

This game isn't exactly about having a friendly snowball fight.

Watch Video

This is the first time I've noticed this show. I'm not an avid tabletop gamer, I've played a handful of games in an equally low number of times. But I'm always impressed by the inventiveness of rules and mechanics in this world of gaming. They're always geared towards generating game dynamics and ambiance to set each game apart from the other, that is very commendable and worthy of study.

This is a good show. Informative and entertaining. I'm actually very interested in playing Arctic Scavengers.

So glad to see SU&SD on the Escapist.

I still miss the old story-style episodes, but I guess that was a format that just didn't work, maybe?

For those who don't know, this show recently lost (one of) its home(s) at Penny Arcade TV, which has decided to shift to first party content only. Since getting rid of SU&SD and extra credits (A show I believe would fit well on the escapist as well) they've lost at least one subscriber.

linforcer:

For those who don't know, this show recently lost (one of) its home(s) at Penny Arcade TV, which has decided to shift to first party content only. Since getting rid of SU&SD and extra credits (A show I believe would fit well on the escapist as well) they've lost at least one subscriber.

Extra Credits used to be on the Escapist but left due to some disagreement regarding payments, if I recall correctly.

SU&SD is great, they're always entertaining and do a good job at explaining why one may or may not like a certain game. I may just have a similar taste but I own about five of the games they recommend and I haven't been disappointed so far.

hannes2:

linforcer:

Extra Credits used to be on the Escapist but left due to some disagreement regarding payments, if I recall correctly.

SU&SD is great, they're always entertaining and do a good job at explaining why one may or may not like a certain game. I may just have a similar taste but I own about five of the games they recommend and I haven't been disappointed so far.

Yes, if a I recall correctly: the EC crew did a "kickstarter" type of fund raising for Allison (artist of EC) recovery after a surgery (and ofcourse, using the EC brand for making it more effective). But since the EC brand is like a join venture with TE, there was a legal struggle because one party (TE) said they had a right over a portion of the fundings and the other party (EC) said that they didn't. At the end, the outcome was not revealed and both parties leave their join venture relationship.
At the moment, it was a very big fuzz :P

I've already ordered this game and I'm really excited to play it. I've never played deckbuilders before, but if I end up enjoying this, I'll likely purchase Race to the Galaxy next. I'm really attracted to the interaction between players in Arctic Scavengers and the reported lack of it is why I've stayed away from games like Dominion.

I heard Artic Scavengers was a good game, but this review has now put it on my Wishlist. Looks like a great game with lots of interaction.

Hannibal942 - Early Dominion didn't have much interaction, but the expansions helped to fix that. It's better but I think other games have taken deck-building to a more interesting level. If you end up like deck-building games I would recommend Trains (SUSD has a review on this somewhere). Race for the Galaxy is NOT a deck-builder, but it is a good game. I actually enjoy Fantasy Flight Games deck-builder Rune Age. First, it has scenarios so you can play it cooperatively, semi-cooperatively, head-to-head, 1-vs-many, etc. If you look at it get the expansion (Oath and Anvil) it's not worth playing without.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here