The Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile Review - Yes!

The Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile Review - Yes!

The episodes keep raising the stakes in Telltale's series based on the Fables comic book by Bill Willingham.

Read Full Article

Damn, a perfect score. Can't wait to play it tonight, it seems Telltale's going to make up for the letdown of episode 2.

EDIT: Just finished it. Whoa.

inb4 ShodanFreeman

Looks pretty good. I may pick up the series when it's all complete.

I just hope i can resist the temptation for spoilers before it comes out on iOS.
Yes i got the game on iOS, it actually plays pretty well.

Just finished it.

Goddamn that was awesome.

It's amazing the two contrasting play styles I get from TWAU and TWD.

Clementine is a girl who has little to no power, and you must seize it whenever you can.

Bigby, on the other hand, has power, but me, as a player, refuse to use it, refuse to let Bigby revert to an animal, refuse to take the easy way out.

Ugh. It figures that this would come out like three days after my computer died. Somebody speed up time so I can get my new one sooner.

I feel like this is a great time to say that The Wolf Among Us is also on sale on Steam right now.

OT: Just finished the episode. So far, this has gone from a game that I had no interest in, to one I can't wait for more of.

Freaking loved it, an amazing episode.
What I really love about The Wolf is just how amazingly structured episodes are. There's always some epic battle section, a couple of new characters and resolutions, and an amazing stinger at the end. A perfect episodic structure.
Also Laura Bailey is amazing at doing British accent.

I loved this episode. The ending Bloody Mary fight was hectic and it's first time i've ever had to stand up to do button prompts because I was so freaked out. Amazing. I'm just curious, did they base Blood Mary off of the whole 'three times in a mirror' tale, or is she a fairytale character? Because I have some ideas but I don't know if it's just speculating or not.

But other than that, the pacing was great, alot of my decisions had me second guessing big time, and it looked great too. Episode 4 cannot come fast enough.

Daystar Clarion:
Just finished it.

Clementine is a girl who has little to no power, and you must seize it whenever you can.

Bigby, on the other hand, has power, but me, as a player, refuse to use it, refuse to let Bigby revert to an animal, refuse to take the easy way out.

I agree but it felt so right to give in. I mean I have been so good at giving second chances but damn there is a limit and when you cross it I rip your throat out. It broke my clean playthrough on this episode but it needed to be done. I wonder if I will pay for it later but right now blood on my claws I am feeling a little regret but damn it felt good.

Yeah, I've been playing the nice guy, by and large, but...

I have to say, though, I'm getting a little tired of "You succeed in every button prompt, and you still lose."

Still, heckuva episode- probably the best yet.

HOLY CRAP!

I mean things go so wrong in this episode! At the end you really get the feeling that this is far too big for Bigby and Snow. They have no idea what they're up against and no idea how to get out of this mess. It's funny, as Bigby you're used to feeling so powerful, but at the end of it I was left feeling small and weak.

One thing I'd have to complain about is the timed choices that happen EVERY TIME, even when it's not necessary to hurry. On few occasions I made a choice I was not happy with thanks to being hurried. Give us some time, these are important decisions!

Also:

Great episode, started off quite slow though. I felt that the first two chapters were almost completely a cutscene with very little to do or decide. Once it got going though it was brilliant though.

Callate:
I have to say, though, I'm getting a little tired of "You succeed in every button prompt, and you still lose."

Ditto. That seems to be the new craze in games now, suppose they're trying to make you feel less empowered or something.

And

JimmyPage666:

I'm loving this aspect of it so much. At the end of this episode, I truly realized the power that Bigby has at his disposal. I could kill half the people of fabletown if I choose to do so.

I really enjoyed this new episode although it was a tad short yet again.

I was very surprised by the ending of it and it set up the next episode very nicely, which I can't wait to play.

Daystar Clarion:
Just finished it.

That is my playstyle as well. It's always more interesting to me to play the good guy when you are roleplaying (so to speak) as "Big Bad Wolf", I find it quite ironic when I "force" the character to play as a goody two shoes. ^^

I'd say expressing violence matters by situation rather than as a universal principle. I like to think some people deserve a punch or two. Some of these choices are difficult to argue in terms of good or evil.

I was afraid they'd turn this into a karmic situation when I played through the beginning of episode 2, but everything in this episode appears much more black and white, and I love it!

Daystar Clarion:
Just finished it.

You mean you didn't

But yeah just finished it. Fucking excellent as usual. Parts of me are wishing that the investigation parts were a bit less... not railroaded, but linear I guess? A lot of the sections feel like I'm succeeding rather than working towards it.

But still those last 10 minutes, god damn.

Just finished and all I can say is wow. That was awesome.

That end sequence. Going from frustration, to ultimate badass, to complete helplessness all in the span of about a minute was crazy.

As much as a loved this episode and that last section was awesome i also realised something

What a fantastic episode... Although, I really ,*really* wanted to gut Bloody Mary. That f***ing b**ch.

Apologies for the language, but, guuuuhhhhhh, just after I'd *finally* gotten to wallop the shit out of the magical moron twins....

njrk97:
As much as a loved this episode and that last section was awesome i also realised something

Oh, boy, I can't really comment without spoiling stuff, but if you have a look at the comics, then your question may be answered!

I refer to your second paragraph, by the way.

Awesome episode, and it really doesn't give you any breathing space, huh?

TravelerSF:
HOLY CRAP!

I mean things so wrong in this episode! At the end you really get the feeling, that this if far too big for Bigby and Snow. They have no idea what they're up against and no idea how to get out of this mess. It's funny, as Bigby you're used to feel so powerful, but at the end of it I was left feeling small and weak.

One thing I'd have to complain is the timed choices that happen EVERY TIME, even when it's not necessary to hurry. On a few occasion I made a choice I was not happy with thanks to being in hurry. Give us some times, these are important decisions!

Also:

I liked her a lot, as long as you ignore her hands. Play it again and you'll see what I mean - tiny, tiny hands that I couldn't help but stare at the whole time she talked. Shame, because I could easily see her becoming my second favourite character after Gren.

njrk97:

Well, it may not be 'full', as he:

Ah didn't spot your edit. x) But he's also more bestial in the game, he's still in there obviously but it seems like a kind of incredible hulk type thing.

I'm very concerned with how much of an impact our decisions are going to make by the end of the game. In Telltale's other adventure, The Walking Dead ones, your choices have literally no impact on the outcome but this is excused with some merit being that that was sort of the point and that ultimately it wasn't so much about Lee being able to change anything as it was him trying to influence Clementine in whatever way the player saw fit.

How are they going to excuse it this time? Thus far I don't feel like my actions have that much of a consequence. I foresee all it will do is Snow getting moist over how sensitive Bigby has become or being repulsed by him being the same monster. It's too early to say for sure, but I have a feeling that you catch the bad guy successfully no matter what it is you do and the end result is (with the exception of a few side characters being dead or affected in some way or something) going to be the same just like it was in the other game.

People are gushing all over this title, and Greg Tito gave it a perfect score. I absolutely love it too but it's far from perfect and I'd like to see people criticizing its linearity a little more. It's easy to introduce inconsequential choices. Telltale has been doing it in all of their games. But when are they going to get gutsy or really innovate and find a way to make choices more impactful? It does not matter what lead you decide to follow, you'll end up being led to the same place. So what's the tension about, really? It's just a different choice of scenery as you are rail roaded towards the conclusion.

It seems everyone is too distracted by the awesome presentation and writing to ever fault this. To its credit, it's a great story, but it really puts to question this "game's" validity as anything more than an interactive story.

Telltale can only get away with it for so long before it gets too predictable. I find myself figuring out these meta-details just because I know how these Telltale games work now and it ends up negatively impacting the experience. This is not a good sign.

Sseth:

People are gushing all over this title, and Greg Tito gave it a perfect score. I absolutely love it too but it's far from perfect and I'd like to see people criticizing its linearity a little more. It's easy to introduce inconsequential choices. Telltale has been doing it in all of their games. But when are they going to get gutsy or really innovate and find a way to make choices more impactful? It does not matter what lead you decide to follow, you'll end up being led to the same place. So what's the tension about, really? It's just a different choice of scenery as you are rail roaded towards the conclusion.

I'd say the point is to give the player (limited) control over the game's story so that they feel more invested in it. Like how

They ARE creating the story just as much as the writers and every playthrough is a personal experience because of that. It's the "it's not the destination, but the journey" -cliche. One might call it useless when it all leads to the same place, but really it's just another way to pull off this kind of choice-based story. Some people want their choices to change the ending, others don't mind as long as the journey there is enjoyable.

Granted, I'm having my doubts whether my actions as Bibgy truly change anything. Is it really worth it trying to make amends with characters like Holly?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here