Escapist News Now: Is a Borderlands 2 Prequel Coming?

Is a Borderlands 2 Prequel Coming?

According to Game Points Now 2K Australia is developing a game set between the events of Borderlands and Borderlands 2.

Watch Video

Considering that I got BL2 last christmas and loved it, I am definitely picking up the prequel expecially when I'm kind of bored of it (hit level 50 and replaying it on vault hunter mode) right now!

By the way, which trailers footage that show the vault hunters in a bar?

Scarim Coral:
By the way, which trailers footage that show the vault hunters in a bar?

It was from the Game of the Year trailer.

First I was happy to hear that more Borderlands were in the pipeline.

Then it all crashed when I heard it was a prequel.

Let me get this out of the way, I still play BL2 because it is a better game in that all the mechanics are better refined and there is much, much, much more content than BL1, but I still enjoy BL1 more than it's sequel because it has a better atmosphere and the writing is great (note: the plot is generic and cliche, but the writing for the game and the world built through the text boxes in the quests is solid).

Here's the thing: I do not like Anthony Burch. He is a funny guy, but after playing through BL2 and then comparing the creative differences between himself and the former creative team of the original Borderlands, I think he was a horrible choice for the job of lead writer. I've seen his Destructoid pieces and his HAWP video series, and I think he is funny - but his forte is in writing snappy, witty dialogue - not black comedy or satire with a hint of randomness as was the case in the first Borderlands which founded the series.

I could go into greater detail, but I'm getting derailed. The point is that he does not understand the world built by the first Borderlands or how to write for it. Moving on:

The whole "BL2 PREQUEL" thing has only consolidated my opinion that he is an amateur. Athena from Armory of general Knoxx? Wilhelm, that one incredibly anticlimatic boss that you could wipe the floor with with a tiny corrosive pistol? The Sheriff of Lynchwood? This seems like an amateurs' fallacy that by including as many characters from both the old games and whatever minor characters he could find after a full night of browsing the BL Wiki and then giving them all plot lines connecting to the sequel, he's "world building". I think this is just scraping the bottom of the barrel due to a lack of creativity. This is the writing equivalent to someone in the music scene namedropping several obscure bands to show everyone how "indy", knowledgeable, or how fine their tastes in music are. In this case, Andy threw in an old BL character from the first game and some horribly characterized enemies from his own game to show that he can competently write for the franchise and bridge the gap between the first game as well that he can adapt and annex the works of the first dev team into his own.

If this was just some large DLC trying to tie in and fill some plot gaps his writing created in BL2, this would be fine, but using such a flimsy premise to launch a full-on prequel? I'm skeptical if it will be good. Oh, granted - I'm sure the gameplay itself will be even better than the last two BLs, but the atmosphere and writing (and guns, can't forget about the crazy amount of guns in BL1) that made me a fan in the first place? I expect that to suffer as long as Burch holds the pen.

It's actually a shame, I was hoping Tales From The Borderlands, which were being penned by Telltale Games was going to be a sign that somebody at Gearbox had the common sense and taste to see how bad he fucked up BL2's writing and wanted to sneak the pen away from him until they could find the original devs to write BL3 or any main BL game instead.

Seriously, I cringed hard when I heard the details from the news feed. Way to kill my anticipation.

New Borderlands on the PS3? Awesome! :)

Am I excited about this? You bet your Butt Stallions.

I can't get my wife to play first person shooters with me at all except for BL2. Why? Handsome Jack. She has been trying to figure out if she is even interested in playing another Borderlands game now with the way the BL2 finished. This is good news for my house.

"Yeah, great. We'll salt all the wounds later..."

So, BL3 is going to be the new HL3 I guess. The creators don't know where to take the story line, so they just release new games around that issue. Metroid is guilty of the same crime too I guess.

Yeah, I doubt this like a motherfucker. The DLC already hinted really heavily at a sequel taking place on the moon base (remember at then end of Assault on Dragon Keep, when they said that the Hyperion goon they were torturing gave them the Fast-Travel codes for the base? Yeah.), not to mention the hundreds of other vaults revealed at the end of the vanilla game. There may not be a BL3 in the pipeline as of now, but if there's going to be any other Borderlands material coming out, I doubt they'll go for a prequel.

Chimichanga:
Wilhelm, that one incredibly anticlimatic boss that you could wipe the floor with with a tiny corrosive pistol?

Sir? Sir? Sir? I don't know which class you were playing as, gender-nonspecific-sir, but I played Zer0, and furthermore, played the game blind (i.e., without looking at any game guides to let me know what I was in for), and as such I didn't have the foresight to pack a corrosive pistol on that particular outing, and I can honestly say that it was the most frustrating gaming experience I have ever had, and if I hear one more person say how easy that fight was I will beat them with their own intestines blargh agh overreaction.

Sadly I am of the opposite position compared to Clankenbeard: more Handsome Jack? No thanks.

Things great in BL2: shootin', lootin', Tiny Tina, just about every humanoid enemy, Maya, "I have a Siren," TORG!, etc.

Not so big on: Jack, Jack. More Jack. ***** dies. Yet more Jack. Replaying BL2 and getting even more Jack. The schizophrenic disconnect between the tone of the trailers (frex "mustaches, jolly cooperation!") and what the actual DLC delivers (ie, Heart of Darkness with really vexing bosses). The villain-sue rise of Jack. Hyperion SMG's/Sniper Rifles/anything.

I'm not actually surprised; Gearbox has one good card to play in Borderlands 2, and it is indeed More Handsome Jack. The entire game is basically BL2: the Fall of Handsome Jack (and maybe some Vault Hunters were there) and while I really liked it for quite a while (and bought all the DLC missions) I had my fill. Shallow sadistic humor in a Western setting papered over with post-futurist technology -gotcha.

Did it, enjoyed it, done. Don't pretend there won't be a BL3 Gearbox, just start developing it already before the actual investors get tired of hearing why stock value can't rebound after the Colonial Marines clusterfuck.

And unfuck the idea of the Siren already. Maya and Lilith are conceptually solid, but Steel and Angel..? One's tentacle bait and the other is ...what, the Matrix's Oracle? Nothing Steel did had any meaning in the context of being a Siren (ie, if she hadn't been one would anything she'd done be different) and Angel's a hacker. Again, zero Siren-ness that couldn't also been part of a really strong wireless connection. Like one originating from a LPO H-shaped satellite with enough processing power to crack whatever shitty encryption the Vault Hunter UI uses.

They're a means of giving The Bad Guys a possible route to success, and that's all. Whee. Do better.

So there's a new Borderlands coming out eh? That's great! I loved the first two to pieces and I got that awesome loot chest piece too.

Yeah and it's a preq-

Turns out dreams are fragile, who'da thunk...

Yay, more Borderlands! :D

I still need to finish the DLC and try out the Vault Hunter mode in BL2, and maybe grab someone to help me do this since I have no idea where my buddy went.

I don't really mind that it's a prequel just as long as it's good and not some cheap add-on to the series.

Chimichanga:
Wilhelm, that one incredibly anticlimatic boss that you could wipe the floor with with a tiny corrosive pistol?

Sir? Sir? Sir? I don't know which class you were playing as, gender-nonspecific-sir, but I played Zer0, and furthermore, played the game blind (i.e., without looking at any game guides to let me know what I was in for), and as such I didn't have the foresight to pack a corrosive pistol on that particular outing, and I can honestly say that it was the most frustrating gaming experience I have ever had, and if I hear one more person say how easy that fight was I will beat them with their own intestines blargh agh overreaction.[/quote]

Tiny Tina flat out gives you a corrosive pistol right before the fight anyways and it's good enough not to instantly throw away :| Not to mention that Zer0 is the king of destroying tough single targets. He lives up to his class name well.
Even so, for a boss that was supposed to have utterly dominated all four heroes from the first game, Wilhelm didn't live up to the hype. Though I remember hearing a theory that Jack poisoned him or something to make sure he would lose and pass off the power core to the Vault Hunters.

If it's true, I like the idea. New elements are nice, Athena as a playable class sounds fun she might play like a combo of Lilith and zero, and the idea of low gravity with jetpacks is just boss. I kind of doubt it's really real though.

Ryengu:

Snippy snip

Tiny Tina flat out gives you a corrosive pistol right before the fight anyways and it's good enough not to instantly throw away :| Not to mention that Zer0 is the king of destroying tough single targets. He lives up to his class name well.

I assume you're talking about the Corrosive Teapot. I suppose it would have been logical to most players to do Tina's quests as soon as they were available, and therefore they got that quite awesome gun before their fight with Wilhelm. I, for stupid reasons I can't properly remember right now, didn't. Between that and the fucking drones, I had a way harder time with him than I really should have.

That, and I just kind of suck at FPSs.

The fight with Wilhelm is supposed to be easy. Handsome Jack sabotaged him so that you could get the fakey pants power core and plug it into Sanctuary's shield generator. Listen to Wilhelm's dialogue during the fight -- he talks about how he can't move properly and his shields aren't working right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6eQ5Ev0gTg&feature=endscreen&NR=1#t=6m51

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here