Escapist Podcast: Bonus: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Bonus: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Escapist Staff gets together to discuss Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Watch Video

Really liking all the bonus podcasts this week.

Keep this posting paradigm please!

Escapist, this podcast is great. How about pimping your crew with some mics and better internet. These are the guys pulling in that sweet ad revenue.

In reference to the Mid credit stinger. Prior to the statement that this is an "age of miracles" Struker and his toady are discussing the "volunteers" most of whom didn't survive...whatever was being done to them, which leads into Struker mentioning the Twins.

Combined with the in movie plot point of Arnim Zola experimenting on Bucky to create the Winter Soldier I have to assume that Pietro and Wanda were not born into their powers but rather developed them through Hydra experimentation.
(effectively mutating them into the metahumans that they are.)

On a larger scale I think you're likely going to see this link to the galactic scale Marvel universe by tying, however loosely into whatever it was that was done to Skye and Coulson in Agents of Shield.

Of additional interest to me in that same scene is Struker's toady fretting about what will happen in they discover that "we're doing Hydras work here." (paraphrased)

So who is they?

Is it just a wide scope they meaning "what if we're discovered?"
Or a specific organization ignorant to the Hydra cell working in their midst.

So I saw Capt. America 2 then Man of Steel for the first time. It is an interesting mash-up.

Johnny Depp as Dr Strange? Does Dr Strange wear a stupid hat?

I'm just dying for the Marvel Universe to go crazy with magic and cosmic shit! I can't wait anymore for Guardians Of The Galaxy.

That said, I loved The Winter Soldier for getting everything right. The tone, the action, The Captain! Every thing they set out to accomplish they did.

Diddy_Mao:

Combined with the in movie plot point of Arnim Zola experimenting on Bucky to create the Winter Soldier I have to assume that Pietro and Wanda were not born into their powers but rather developed them through Hydra experimentation.
(effectively mutating them into the metahumans that they are.)

Shhhh. You'll tip off FOX.

And nobody wants that.

Good talk but god the latency and popping. Little painful to listen to.

I'll take that challenge and say that I do think Bob is wrong. I don't believe for a moment that they'll kill off Tony Stark.

For one thing he's still the most recognizable and popular character in the film, but more importantly, too much of the MCU relies on him and his technology to hand wave away logistic issues. With SHIELD gone you don't have any other high profile smart guys with unlimited resources to act as your go-to guy for super science chicanery.

That being said, I think Bob makes a good point and we're going to see an on screen hero death in War Machine.

It's pretty standard practice to kill off a named character to show how serious the threat is and there's not a lot of 2nd string heroes to sacrifice. At this point the only disposable heroes in the MCU are War Machine, Falcon and Hawkeye.

Falcon's already earmarked for Captain America 3 so that pretty much just leaves War Machine and Hawkeye.

Hawkeye's not important enough to any of the first tier Avengers to make for an important sacrifice so I think killing off Tony Stark's best friend is going to be the cementing factor for Stark getting his act together and straight up forming a super team.

piscian:

We're working on fixing the technical issues in this podcast, but this was an experiment to see if multiple call-ins from across the country would actually work. It does, but now we have to improve the quality!

Greg

Greg Tito:

piscian:

We're working on fixing the technical issues in this podcast, but this was an experiment to see if multiple call-ins from across the country would actually work. It does, but now we have to improve the quality!

Greg

That is awesome on many levels, thanks Escapist! Can I just throw this out there? "Bob & Ross' Happy Little Nerd Podcast"

That was tons of fun guys, thanks! Bob: BEST SPIDERMAN IMPRESSION EVVAR! I love Spidey but you make an excellent point. He should stay out of avengers both in his current status, and until some writer, somewhere, does him some fucking justice.

I always love to hear Bob, Jim and Yahtzee speak their mind but it exercise alot of patience dealing with the quality of this podcast. Echos, lags and rambling by the first guy.

If you can't get your thoughts together before you speak then speak slower.

ExtraDebit:
I always love to hear Bob, Jim and Yahtzee speak their mind but it exercise alot of patience dealing with the quality of this podcast. Echos, lags and rambling by the first guy.

Every once in a while, we all suffer from NerdGasm.

Very enjoyable podcast chaps. Not fussed about the sound, can still hear every word. Great that the escapist is trying some new things with the podcasts and coverage, especially as someone who has got back into the comics universe in my thirties. Keep up the good work Escapist peeps!

Willstown:
Very enjoyable podcast chaps. Not fussed about the sound, can still hear every word. Great that the escapist is trying some new things with the podcasts and coverage, especially as someone who has got back into the comics universe in my thirties. Keep up the good work Escapist peeps!

Took me a while to see your avatar was Silent Bob. I thought I was seeing Doraleous-Vader.

Good podcast, guys! It was excellent hearing your opinions on the movie and where the Marvel Cinematic Universe may be heading. And, MovieBob, I gotta say that I highly respect your opinion on films, but I heartily disagree with your opinions on The Amazing Spider-man.

SilverStuddedSquirre:

ExtraDebit:

Every once in a while, we all suffer from NerdGasm.

Except Nerdgasm isn't a job, I just expect more professionalism while on their job if not their career. It's one thing to shout really loud in a stadium, it's another to be a commentator.

Sappy moment maybe, but my favorite scene in CAWS was when the cap broadcast to shield headquarters that everyone should do something about the shifty business going down, regardless of "official" orders. And people listened. One of those moments that you remember the cap isn't just a super soldier buff dude.....he's Captain m fing America, all around good guy. He talks, you listen and give it serious thought. Captain America tells you that your super sketchy super ship is compromised......maybe you confront someone about it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here