Escapist Podcast: 133: Escapist Podcast in Space!

133: Escapist Podcast in Space!

This week, we discuss a whole bunch of space related stories.

Watch Video

1) Spaceman icecream is amazing.
2) Brock Lesnar would beat Bruce Lee.

Not classic music, but Sim City 3000 has really good jazz.

Up against Bruce Lee? I say... Tony Jaa!

bdcjacko:

I had to look up Brock Lesnar. He's enormous and apparently MMA trained. Interesting choice!

ritchards:

This is also something I can totally get behind.

Not to say I would favor either over Bruce personally, but they'd make for spectacular fights!

Encaen:

bdcjacko:

I had to look up Brock Lesnar. He's enormous and apparently MMA trained. Interesting choice!

ritchards:

This is also something I can totally get behind.

Not to say I would favor either over Bruce personally, but they'd make for spectacular fights!

I can't help but feel like my choice is a bit cheating because Brock out weighs Lee considerably. I think Lee in his hay day was top of his weight class. Lesnar, in his prime (he has had some illnesses and injuries) was just a monster. I can't help but think if Brock had started in the UFC before doing a shoot star splash on his face, would have destroyed everyone.

Also, Kurt Angle could beat Lee. Angle won an Olympic gold medal with a broken neck. He would toss Lee around like a rag doll.

Regarding game music scores, I guess the difference with film scores or musical theatre, etc, is that it's all scripted. The action is tailored to the music or the music is tailored to the way the events will unfold. In games, as you guys said, you have to blend from one state to other to reflect the action the player is executing, and aside from scripting it all out I don't think a lot of developers are willing to put the effort into creating soundtracks that are able to be mixed on the fly. The first game I remember playeing that did this was Descent 3, where in several levels the music would change with enemy encounters or by moving into different areas, and mix all the pieces back and forth. The soundtrack from the game will never appear on any Top Music list (it's may be too techno, with blips and electronic sounds) but I find it was excellent.

Related to that, I think that there seems to be some overuse of game scoring as well, linked to the whole "cinemafying" of games. I remember the old Core Tomb Raiber games were very sparse on music, only playing for short times and specific moments, and most of the time you had ambient sounds creating a very opressive and lonely atmosphere. Even in Underworld, in you play agian in Treasure Hunt mode, the Mexico level is incredibly tense because the music is mostly cut out. The use of music in Bioshock Infinite I found very clever, since the pieces of music coming out of the radios were far more effective at world-building and giving a feeling of place than a bunch of dialogue or scripted moments could. The even had a lot of fun with the whole anacrhonistic music, again tying into the themes and mechanics of the game more that some gameplay elements themselves.

the who can beat bruce lee has already been answered, IP MAN

Look I'm saying the geocentrism guys are right, but technically they're not wrong. According to cinematic physics the observer's point of view is the only point of view that technically matters; for example: I'm in a car driving 10 mph (god knows why I'm a turtle!) and a man is sitting on the bench outside my window, when I see him I see that he is moving and I'm sitting still (that's why in Futurama when the Professor says that his ship stays still it's just the universe that moves to it, he isn't necessarily lying). If I were to look at the universe from my point of view, it's the sun that revolves(or rather rotate as it seems) around me and not the other way around. It's the old man that moves while I sit down in my car. So from this guy's point of view (BY SHEER LUCK!) he isn't wrong, but that doesn't necessarily means he's right either.

In all I have stated how, not the whack job geocentric guy was wrong, but how cinematic physics needs to change.

George Harpole:
the who can beat bruce lee has already been answered, IP MAN

You stole mine :(
But yes, as someone who trained wing chun which was bruce lee's original martial art, IP Man, Jason Lau, and Francis Fong would all probably eat Bruce Lee's lunch. As far as Brock Lesnar I'm not so sure. Brock is really good at a sport whereas wing chun and Jun Fan are martial arts where you are being taught to kill so I have to give that one to Bruce Lee as he wouldn't hesitate to go for Brock's more sensitive areas.

Mr. Ross, ._. give the others a moment to speak. I really like you're views and I can tell you've done your research/know your stuff, but....(really sorry to be so whiny about this) it becomes increasingly harder to take in and deconstruct what is being said when it just keeps getting faster and doesn't stop.

Trying to give constructive criticism here, it is simply hard to say without sounding like complaining or insulting. Sorry.

I'd just love if there was a bit of a better breakdown in the description of the podcast as to what it is about, since I go to the escapist for game content. Ideally there could be a basic breakdown that could let me know if it's all movie stuff (fine for some people I guess, but not something I'm interested in) and where to skip to in the podcast. I don't know if any editing goes on in post-production but, if so, it seems like this would be a fairly easy thing to do.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here