Can't go wrong with the classics.

Watch Video

C:/ Dos
C:/ Dos Run
C:/ Run Dos Run
C:/ Loading...
C:/ Ready....
C:/ Run

You know, they've got a point. I can see cubicle farms using a stripped-down operating system that only lets people do their actual work and submit it through an internal network, rather than the full, distraction-ladled OS of today. If you're doing something like digitizing hospital charts or processing other data, it's the perfect thing for maximizing profits and keeping your employees downtrodden.

Might be best to make it Linux or something, though, just to prevent lawsuits.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention. Was too busy trying to think of how to bribe you guys for the Lady Ashe figure in the background.

Kidding aside, I'm kind of impressed with the thread of logic woven in this video.

Part of my job description is use the Internet, so no DOS for me.

Thunderous Cacophony:
You know, they've got a point. I can see cubicle farms using a stripped-down operating system that only lets people do their actual work and submit it through an internal network, rather than the full, distraction-ladled OS of today. If you're doing something like digitizing hospital charts or processing other data, it's the perfect thing for maximizing profits and keeping your employees downtrodden.

Might be best to make it Linux or something, though, just to prevent lawsuits.

Companies can already do that with newer versions of windows. Some of the computers where I work literally just have three programs on them, Office IE (which is restricted via proxy filters) and the custom software we work on and we use XP. You can do pretty much anything via custom OS builds.

Now I can goof off like it's 1995!

C:\>chdir DESCENT
C:\>DESCENT>descentr.exe

And if that fails, there's always Dangerous Dave 2.

Yay for the shoutout to the Computer History Museum!

They, wh-, but I, just, damn. I guess we can just cut out the middle man and jury-rig my phone to run msdos. It's already got a keyboard, that's all you need right?

What? Of course MS DOS can do web. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne_%28web_browser%29
And it has a GUI, too - it's called Windows 3.1.

Is it wrong that I watched this while I was supposed to be doing work?.... Damn it internet!!!

The sad thing is, I actually know a fair amount of people who would be nodding their heads sagely throughout this video. XD

As a British gentleman I loved the stinger oh so very very much... I don't know how much more old timey you could have made him.

By the way, is the title a reference to the blog of one of the most known Windows developers - The Old New Thing?

Who was that dapper gentleman in the stinger? He wasn't credited!

well, technically, ms DOS can also run 1080p video, b ut its not like i would need it to watch that 360p stream of your show.

Not really a lot of humor density there but still... A disturbing amount of sense

FreeDOS, an MS-DOS compatible operating system has already been available for years, and it's licensed under the GPL which means that you're allowed to sell it (you have to include the source code with the binaries if you do, and you can't place any restrictions on the buyer re-distributing it later, which makes it generally impractical for commercial software but still better than the "suggested donation" thing suggested here.)

Jokes aside, though, I'd advise anyone with actual programming knowledge to not look at the code that Microsoft donated to the Computer History Museum. If you do, and you end up writing code for another project that's vaguely similar to what's in the released DOS code then Microsoft can sue the project in question for copyright infringement. In fact, many open-source projects (FreeDOS included) specifically bar anyone who's looked at this kind of restrictive-licenced code from making contributions to their codebase in order to protect themselves from legal threats.

Computers do not work that way. Goodnight.

It seems somewhat... limited...
For a home computer doing all kinds of things, Windows 98 is where it's at!
It's like... 12 times better than Windows 8!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here