Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 17 NEXT

Seriously, a lot of you are as dense as they come. Yahtzee must be wondering whether trying to inject something original LIKE A DELIBERATE SOUTH AFRICAN ACCENT into his reviews is worth the trouble.

Man, Yathzee didn't seem as disappointed about Far Cry 2 as I was! All the stuff they said you could do in the game was total bupkis.

Shooting someone in the foot to drop him and trick his friends to help him sounded cool at first.But considering that's the only way to wound someone, it's a moot point. Not to mention that all enemies instantly know where you are after you shoot, even if it's from a silenced weapon.

Okay, maybe it's just one of the features.

Anyhoo, I'm surprise Yahtzee lasted so long into the game before decided it was repetitive.

Eh... hard to enjoy because of the accent shift, it was mildly amusing at first, unpleasantly evoking a grimace all afterward. I get it's supposed to be South African but the whole thing stunk of a dead horse, I was surprised you didn't go off into further horse pummeling with mention of the word "poofter".

More than a joke on the game or on us(ho ho! what a card!), it was just poor wiff.

"'No poofters' amirite guize!" Was what I really heard.

His South African accent was amazingly funny; I do wish you could wear a flowered shirt though. =(

Dude, the accent was cool indeed, but I suggest you keep the older accent for the vids :o Puhleeese.

You pooned the game as usual too, props.

The south African Accent degenerated into a stereotypical Aussie one at points, but there were some really great lines xD You needed to throw in more 'hey' at the end of words to be a true saffa though. The basking shark line was good.

Decent review but I await the day when they return to their peak again - not necessarily using the same humour as older ones but with something new, perhaps.

Also - yes he continued the saffa accent through the whole thing but obviously it needed to be used more than just the one line to have an impact, and then where would you stop it? Arbitrarily? That would be kinda weird, he should have stopped it soon after the joke OR carried it through like he did.

LOL. i always hated far cry. so i dint even bother to get the second one. graphics sure are stunning but the gameplay is as i thought, crap.
even in the german forum i am in, people said they were totally disappointed and it's nothing new or special. that they wasted there money. some idiots were blind and loved the game because it has awesome graphics.
well, far cry 2 will never touch my PC.

The accent Yahtzee used aggrivated me. I guess I lack a proper sense of humor. Far Cry 2 was also very aggrivating. You don't make a sandbox game in which the fire effects only work half of the time, cover doesn't function well as cover, and your character collapses at the meer sight of an L-shaped stick with what appears to be a trigger (regardless of the L-shaped stick's location - whether in a hand or in the dirt); and then force players to run to save points or they risk losing the last hour spent just trying to get to the designated location to ambush the designated caravan.

It did NOT work, Ben. The checkpoints weren't useful if positioned forty minutes away from the next objective.

Sniper rifles were pointless, as well. After the first shot, the men around the newly brainless meat-sack would instantly become professional crime scene investigators and know EXACTLY where to point their rifles and machine guns to turn the player into a delicious new flavor of cheese.

Transportation? You have the option of taking a tram to five specific locations on the first map (I never made it to the second locale): the four corners and the center. You could also steal a boat or vehicle or just hike your fat ass there.

Far Cry 2 was beyond aggrivating and I highly recommend avoiding it.

That accent was painful. =(

Haha, the accent was fantastic and a perfect addition to his regularly awesome ranting.

I enjoyed the review but the accent felt forced. I suppose its no worse than a South African Australian impersonation though

Raymustang:
I enjoyed the review but the accent felt forced. I suppose its no worse than a South African Australian impersonation though

he is original from england but lives here in australia. british and aussie people sound totally different.

I've been sick of sandbox games since......a long time. I've got my own imagination with me at all times, why would I want to be tortured with it even more when I sit down to play a video game and be entertained? I'm sick to hell of my own imagination, damn. I spent my childhood off in my own little world, and much of my life has been consumed by habits which keep me from doing much at all, my time is spent just waiting and waiting. Deep inside me, I already know everything I could potentially create.

I want to delve into someone ELSE'S stories, thoughts, feelings.

Btw, I hate forums. Am I supposed to obey some sort of unspoken rule here? Like am I supposed to give a very direct comment on the video?
It was funny. I enjoyed it.

next-gen (or now-gen as it's called) IS just a colourful sandwich wrapper - worth repeating again and again.

Wow, lots of comments on the accent. Guess I'll add mine.

What kind of accent was it supposed to be, cuz to me it just sounded almost like you were making fun of your existing accent, though I'm sure you don't consider it an accent. I found it rather obnoxious, and while the content of the video was awesome, I was a bit put off by it.

oi there yahtzee mate, throw a shrimp on the barbie, did a dingo eat yer baby?

Australian accent is officially taking hold, starting with the pronunciation of classify at 40:00.

I'm loving the constant Michael Atkinson hate on here. He deserves it.

It disturbs me greatly to see all these posts from people confused about Yahtzee's voice, or wondering what kind of accent he was doing (or not wondering, but just getting it blatantly wrong). Doesn't anyone actually *listen* to the video? He's quite explicit about what he's doing and why.

I can only assume that Yahtzee is trying to put on a South African accent and speaking as a born and bred South African his accent sounds more like an Auzzie than anything else, but the rest of the SA references were right on the money, especially regarding the SA police :P

brabz:
The accents were brutal and annoying, much like he seems to think the game was. Shame, really enjoyed FarCry 1.

Uh, he was reviewing FarCry 2 not FarCry 1.
FarCry 1 is the shit. I love that game.

God, if that is how people speak in Australia, I never want to see that place.

Loved it for the accent change and power rangers reference.
When he mentions emersion listen carefully is it me or are there sirens in the background.

Loved the South African accent.

redneon:
Was that a South African accent or a Brummy accent?

it was a really strong aussie accent im guessing, the type you hear in our australian films. anyway my god this game got really boring really fast, nice to see that Ben raped it to death.

I'm shocked at how many people have criticised the review by completely failing to recognise a South African accent, or even worse, thinking it was Australian.

Typical ignorant Americans.

NSiky:
I'm shocked at how many people have criticised the review by completely failing to recognise a South African accent, or even worse, thinking it was Australian.

And I'm shocked at the amount of people that thought the accent was actually anything close to South African. Accents most definitely is not Yahtzee's forte.

To listen to someone that actually does the accent very well, go watch Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond.

Nice Review. I laughed my nuts off as usual.

One thing that completely eludes me:

Is it just me that thought the worst part of Far Cry 2 is the stupid respawning guard checkpoints? They drove me batshit bonkers and I really can't see how anyone who even played the game doesn't mention that.

I could go to a guard checkpoint, clear it out from all enemies, go 10 meters away to hunt down a suitcase with a dimaond and back 30 seconds later the camp is full with enemies again.

This really eludes me.

I agree with everything yahtzee said about FC2, only i dont feel the graphics are very 'next gen' at all, does anyone else think that?

This was his first truly funny episode for a while. Like some people, I was kind of excited for a GoW2 thrashing...

good review

Naudran:

NSiky:

And I'm shocked at the amount of people that thought the accent was actually anything close to South African. Accents most definitely is not Yahtzee's forte.

To listen to someone that actually does the accent very well, go watch Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond.

Yeah because Yahtzee is totally into acting nowdays and took 3 months to train up his accent while we waited for FarCry 2 review.

Besides, its not meant to be good, that's the joke. If he pulled off a 100% genuine South African accent, people would just assume some other knob was talking. Kind of amazed how many didn't get it, but hey not everyone can be well cultured...or smart enough to actually read 2 comments above their own.

Good review Yahtzee, not that you need me to tell you that. I'm sure you tell yourself that upon completion of all your videos. As an Australian, I got the changes in accent quite well (especially given that those accents are hovering around our cricket fields this very moment). Sounds like boring gameplay, but then again I never wanted to touch the game after only playing FarCry 1 for 15 minutes and then hearing this was nothing like FarCry 1. I may have hated the difficulty of FarCry 1, but why make a completely unrelated sequel...doesnt make it a sequel anymore hey?

Might as well have Farcry 3 on an alien planet with the standard magical suit of tech armour.

Pyronox:

So, why is it not realistic?

And can you even give me an example of a realistic FPS?

Oh don't even get me started on FC2. But i'll recommend you a realistic FPS. Red Orchestra. Insurgency. America's Army. Operation Flashpoint, Armed Assault, et cetera. Hell even COD4 on HC is more realistic than FC2.

I couldn't understand what he was saying half the time so I missed a lot of the jokes.

For me, the Apocalypse Now quote was the best part of the whole thing.

hehe, drop the accent mate, but otherwise great review :D

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or