Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 17 NEXT

What is the deal with this Michael Atkinson fellow?

Ha I had read reviews that had pretty much said this, but Yahtzee does it so much better!

The accents are classic, I've been thinking about stuff I say with the accent every now and then and its cracks me up!

Micheal Atkinson is the Attorney General of Australia IIRC. He is responsible for the draconian video game laws out there, which mean any game with more than a shred of violence isn't allowed to be released there. It's even worse than Germany.

The TARDIS returns :D

I see he is getting through the backlog of 'amazing' games from last year as he said he would =P

And on a slightly unrelated note, why is it that only the ZP videos will work now? Nothing else will load or start playing except the Trillbilicious reviews. I have all the relevant plugins etc. and it's only recently that they stopped working. Solutions in a PM please =)

what was that stupid accent

Pyronox:

johnman:

Pyronox:
Seems like Yahtzee can't really make up his mind on this one. I'll pick it up anyway cause I've been looking for a realistic shooter for a looooooong time now.

This si not a realsitic shooter- you can do mcuh better. If your a Pc gamer then pick up stalker - if your not then i dont know of any on 360.

I loved the accent. Afican seemed to be the only one missing from the game.

Excuse me sir, but that is absolutely ridiculous.

An FPSRPG being more realistic than a plain FPS? Surely you jest.

You cant even lean in far cry 2! And as you die so quickly i find its absense jarring. It was porlby left out as consoles dont have the capacity for a lean button, and any game that is lessed for consoles just withers in my eyes. Stalker is realistic as hell, you bleed from every gunshot wound and the Ai gives the impression that dying is not a high on the list of the enimes things to do.

Inuprince:
Great Review I've been waiting for this to make my day better and make me finally laugh - although the funny accents surprised me a little it was still another great ZP ;)

I watched this right after the Angry Aussie, so it messed with my head a little. I'm just glad I can tell the difference anymore. x_x

Great accent shifts. Also good luck with Game Damage, it's too good not to be accepted by some tv station.

Thank you so much, this will do wonders when I try to explain just how bad farcry 2 was to my friends. I agree on pretty much every point made which is what lead me sell it the day after I bought it ><. That and the terrible AI ><.

Please drop the horrible accent. You made me cringe at half the words you were mangling

coungar:
Okay, had to register to say this:

I am stunned by the number of people here who failed to realise that Ben was doing a South African accent. It wasn't an "aussie/aboriginal" or a "new zealand" or a british accent. The game is set in SOUTH AFRICA. This is made very clear in his review and works really well for laughs.

I'm curious to know if the accent confusion is coming from U.S. viewers. I know you guys have a hard time recognising accents, which is why your films with "foreigners" always sound ridiculous. Or worse, you simply use American accents for other nationalities. Good recent example: am I supposed to believe Tom Cruise is GERMAN in Valkyrie? Bloody stupid.

/rant.

Well excuse me for not being an expert on accents.

heavy on the accent for this review lol i dont think I want to play this game, very glad you reviewed it for me finally

OK, as a South African, I can say, with a little authority, that while the accent used in the review approximated that of a local here, it slipped more into the realms of Australian and bits of British (i.e. some parts of England).

Not all people here (or any that I know of) speak that badly, except, *maybe*, for those whose first language is firmly Afrikaans and second language is a very loose English. It was still more Australian to my ear.

Otherwise, the review summed up what I felt about the game. I did, however, enjoy hearing the use of Afrikaans and a mangled, modern Zulu in parts of Far Cry 2. South Africa is no-where near as rugged (except for the rugged bits) as Far Cry 2 would have you believe, so I think the game is probably set in a fictional African setting (as Ubisoft had said) with South African mercenaries.

Also, what's with that South African policemen joke at the end? Just because they're called the SAPS (South African Police Service) doesn't mean they're stupid... ;)

Anyways...

Band meeting. Murray - present. Bret - present. Jemaine - present. First item on the agenda...

Enlong:
Huh... does Yahtzee have a cold or something, or was the change in accent a subtle joke that I failed to get?

I'm assuming either that's some joke he did for the benefit of his friends or some twat has been sending him e-mails "hey u live in austrlia y dont you talk the croc hunter?"

He's starting to pick up the Australian accent. I guess after living there for so long he couldn't help but soak it in. I have friends from here in the NY who moved down south, come back to visit after a year and they sound like country bumpkins. I think the same thing is happening here with Yahtzee. In terms of the game it sounds like he's on the fence with this one. I was never into Far Cry anyway.

johnman:

Pyronox:

johnman:

Pyronox:
Seems like Yahtzee can't really make up his mind on this one. I'll pick it up anyway cause I've been looking for a realistic shooter for a looooooong time now.

This si not a realsitic shooter- you can do mcuh better. If your a Pc gamer then pick up stalker - if your not then i dont know of any on 360.

I loved the accent. Afican seemed to be the only one missing from the game.

Excuse me sir, but that is absolutely ridiculous.

An FPSRPG being more realistic than a plain FPS? Surely you jest.

You cant even lean in far cry 2! And as you die so quickly i find its absense jarring. It was porlby left out as consoles dont have the capacity for a lean button, and any game that is lessed for consoles just withers in my eyes. Stalker is realistic as hell, you bleed from every gunshot wound and the Ai gives the impression that dying is not a high on the list of the enimes things to do.

Oh comon, about 90% of FPS's nowadays have leaning cut. The most recent game that had it that I played was Darkwatch (which was, yes, a console game).

Also, doesn't realism mean you're not playing a role-playing game where you fight mutant monsters from a reactor meltdown?

And besides, you die fast in real life... Yeah, you can die from bleedout from a shot to almost anywhere in your body.

Thats a terrible Australian accent. Thought it would be easier for someone British-born to pull off, guess not. lol

Did anyone notice something strange with the accent?

Enlong:
Huh... does Yahtzee have a cold or something, or was the change in accent a subtle joke that I failed to get?

South African accent is kinda like a poorly-enunciated(retarded) Australian accent. The game is set in South Africa. Maybe you wouldn't have missed the joke if you stopped picking your nose for five seconds and paid attention to what he says: you would've caught the whole "if only you classify a hilarious South African accent as a mutation" part of his review when he first started using said accent. Just because the accent shifted doesn't mean he wasn't using understandable dialect anymore.

I lol'ed.
People may be saying that the dear Yahtzee is loosing his edge, but I continue to find him incredibly amusing.

Pyronox:
Because quoting people stating a fact has nothing to do with game interest.

It's not the same game. I will try it out, so should you.

Neither does quoting someone quoting someone else, so I'm not going to waste my money. :)

Is it just me, or is (almost) everyone on The Escapist forums completely dense?

On every page there is like 20 people commenting on the accent in confusion, and one or two people pointing out why it is like that. How can a person possibly miss this unless they simply post without checking even the first two pages of comments!?

Seriously.. the accent was a joke. It was comically exaggerated to make it more effective. Oh and Far Cry 2 is not set in South Africa (the landscape looks more like East Africa), but some of the mercs you work for (and fight against) have cheesy Afrikaner accents.

Personally every time Ben shifted accents I guffawed. I thought it was great in a completely over the top way. Oh and the Mods vs. Rockers, and the South African police joke in the credits were my two other favorite parts of the video.

Far Cry 2 is a beautiful game (not just "good graphics", but jaw droppingly gorgeous graphics). The gameplay while repetitive never got old for me, until I hit the anti-climactic end, which made me actually pretty pissed I spent so much time getting to it. But while the ride lasted, I had a great time of it.

Overall I'd say this was the bet ZP I've seen in about 6 months. It was accurate, provided some review points and had clever humor. Good Job Ben.

Pyronox:

Oh comon, about 90% of FPS's nowadays have leaning cut. The most recent game that had it that I played was Darkwatch (which was, yes, a console game).

Also, doesn't realism mean you're not playing a role-playing game where you fight mutant monsters from a reactor meltdown?

And besides, you die fast in real life... Yeah, you can die from bleedout from a shot to almost anywhere in your body.

Calling Stalker a roleplaying game is far from the truth. its a solid FPS with a few RPG elements. You cant level up and you dont have skilled areas. The only rpg elements are the inventory and small stat changing artifacts you normally forget about.
As for leaning. Yes that was rather amiss of me as most pc shooters dont have itand i was not aware of any console using it.

i loved the south african accent, but i didnt expect them to sound like that

i was dissapointed i was expecting the word repetitive and boring a few times.
i didn't enjoy it as much as all the other ones.
i realy had my hopes up for this one.
i guess it's because i haven't played the first farcry.
and i am not south african but i think yahtzee actualy sounds australian in this episode.
then again, i am not australian either.

uhg... sandbox style games just aren't as good as they used to be SURE the were awsome, origenal, and full of enjoyment but nower days the adverage retard is able to create a sandbox game and he happens to be the tester so it always has ghood reviews until the fans get it then the nicely descuiesed game gets its face ripped off to for all to see what it is almost as if it were michel jackson when he was black and young he was the best anyone ever knew but as soon as the face ripping started he is now the butt of 12% of jokes in the world

lol. bear grylls, classic!

metagaia:
Micheal Atkinson is the Attorney General of Australia IIRC.

Only of South Australia, thank you very much. And I don't think many of us like him much either. But the Attorney General is member of cabinet, so the only way we will be rid of him is either a cabinet reshuffle (which I've not heard any rumours of, not that I pay that much attention to politics anyway) or Labour loses the next state election.

OliverS:
Also, what's with that South African policemen joke at the end? Just because they're called the SAPS (South African Police Service) doesn't mean they're stupid... ;)

Though I have no insight into Yahtzee's mind, I'm confident that that joke is either a reference or has been lifted from the episode titled South Africa from the TV series The Goodies. I don't remember the episode verbatim, but there were similar jokes in the episode, and I am sure that was one of them.

Zulu-Echo14:
Did anyone notice something strange with the accent?

Jesus Christ man, it's the 12th page and people are still asking this question?

I go around calling it GTA: Africa for a reason. It seems nothing more then a rip off of the GTA series with a much more open setting instead of a city filled of innocent civilians you could crush with your car. All the missions reminded me of that, dive here and kill this person, drive here and drop off this item, drive here and pick up that person.... ad infinitum.

Did anyone else get the feeling this game was racist though?

It was the only reason I could come up for why everyone and their grandmother wanted me to get intimate with their bullets! Right at the start you couldn't drive down the street without someone ramming you off the road for no apparent reason and then opening up with fully automatic gun fire. The only time this didn't happen was the cut screen event, where I can assume they where worried about offending that well liked black person whom drove you into the country. Soon as he vanished, your arse was theirs and not in a good way. All I could conclude it was because I was playing the Russian and like all good racists they where too stupid to realise that white doesn't automatic mean I was going to be an oppressive mother *removed* driven by some genocide urge to kill of all black people.

I didn't even get as far as Yatzee, the repetitive nature of the game bored the hell out of me within the first hour.

Farcry 2, one for the GTA label but with even less story line.

Great review as usual, actually... it seemed to be more positive at times than I thought it would be.

I actually just created an account to ask... Why the hell was there a seemingly random flashing of the UC Davis logo? When I was watching the review I thought I had some kind of "Big Brother" moment. Unbelievably, I was in the Davis library (I go to school there) at the time. I thought there was some kind of subliminal messaging going on for a minute.

Well I guess I'm not getting this game.

MB202:
[quote="coungar" post="6.84734.1218004"]Okay, had to register to say this:

I am stunned by the number of people here who failed to realise that Ben was doing a South African accent. It wasn't an "aussie/aboriginal" or a "new zealand" or a british accent. The game is set in SOUTH AFRICA. This is made very clear in his review and works really well for laughs.

I'm curious to know if the accent confusion is coming from U.S. viewers. I know you guys have a hard time recognising accents, which is why your films with "foreigners" always sound ridiculous. Or worse, you simply use American accents for other nationalities. Good recent example: am I supposed to believe Tom Cruise is GERMAN in Valkyrie? Bloody stupid.

/rant.

The South African accent was only obvious to me because of when it first appeared he was referencing how silly the accents were. I guess I don't know what an australian/british version of a South American accent would sound like because I'm a bloody stupid american, oh well, I guess I'll go kill myself because the rest of the world hates our kind. =( I don't think Tom Cruise could pull off a German accent if he tried, lawlz.

Could anyone else hear that siren in the background? If not, it must have someone who died in a fire or something at my house, too lazy to double check the vid, cuz I'm a bloody stupid American.

Linear games with sandbox sections are the best, I think.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here