Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

and if he was indeed faking another accent as a gag, he gets stupid points for:

1. failing to do a proper accent (that was an aussie accent, not a south african w/ british ancestry accent) I suppose he may have been making a gag about the aussie on safari stereotyped accent, but that is reaching a bit for a joke he is incapable of pulling off.

2. failing to use it in any meaningful or patterned manner.

I have never had any real notes on these reviews, they've generally been handled with artful skill, but taking a note from all the youtube imitators who put on faux brit accents is not what I'd describe as artful skill.

Which is why I am more inclined to believe this is showing an actual immersion based shift in speech. I would hate to think Croshaw handed us an unthoughtful crap joke in his weekly offering.

Hahaha! What a brillant review! It was spot on. Yahtzee's South African accent impression made it for me though (I am South African, living in Melbourne).

We've all been waiting for this review for a while... I knew Ben would rip on the South African accents :P

o.0 What? it sounds different, either it is because I've been up too long (30 sum odd hours go work schedule, DnD and the Bioshock demo)or there really was an accent there other than the norm.

Looking forward to next week's game. Good luck Yahtzee

mark_n_b:
and if he was indeed faking another accent as a gag, he gets stupid points for:

1. failing to do a proper accent (that was an aussie accent, not a south african w/ british ancestry accent) I suppose he may have been making a gag about the aussie on safari stereotyped accent, but that is reaching a bit for a joke he is incapable of pulling off.

2. failing to use it in any meaningful or patterned manner.

I have never had any real notes on these reviews, they've generally been handled with artful skill, but taking a note from all the youtube imitators who put on faux brit accents is not what I'd describe as artful skill.

Which is why I am more inclined to believe this is showing an actual immersion based shift in speech. I would hate to think Croshaw handed us an unthoughtful crap joke in his weekly offering.

as far as i could tell he was mocking the terrible accents in the game, as he says they have terrible south african accents at the point at which he starts using the accent, and just continues to use it throughout.

and in my opinion it sounded more south african then australian

P.S. i like how many people got banned for no reason at the start of this thread

Nice review, although the accent irritated me.

I love the new accent. Yahtzee should stick to it ;)

... ok so here i was wating to get to play this newest installment of Farcry and what the fuck happen to the storie its like the main action hero is taking a vacation and what the hell is up with the main bad guy helping you out ... i seen the out take by Yahtzee an his right on the money about all they wanna be sandboxes that leave you with a Huge nothing when it comes to a actual storieline or plot

Good review, wasn't a fan of the accent though, was throwing it off for me, I kept wanting to fiddle with my controls to find a way to fix his voice.

huh, I thought the game was just about shooting lots of colored people, like a humanized version of geometry wars.

Solo508:
Been waiting for this one! :) Its a shame there was no reference to the shit ending though.

I don't get the impression that Yahtzee finished the game.

I found that a waste of my time save for the fact that I'm not the only one who sees that Dan Brown sucks.

Very Funny...Very True

sv93:
I loved the accent throughout the video, nice. I also got confused by the game though, after a while you have no idea what to do. This is one of his few reviews I agree with.
I'd definitely shoot at a guy who was wearing a Michael Atkinson mask.

O ok, so the acent was supposed to sound different.
I thought I was having trouble hearing.

Did anyone else get as much of a laugh out of the Bear Grylls reference as I did? That was probably the highlight of the review for me. Well done.

After having watched all the reviews from the past(Youtube included) I have to say this was arguably the funniest one I've seen yet!

Now I'm by no means a PC gamer or even a PS3 owner but my GOD that was funny! He changed his voice so many times that I had a hard time understanding him on a couple of parts(more so than normal) and still laughed my ass off.

Keep up the good work Mr. Croshaw and hopefully next time we get to see "Rise of the Argonauts" as the review.

Later Days!

lolz that was funny, I want him to review little big planet, but im not sure if he'll like it

im sorry but has his accent changed or somthing was funny

what teh ehll was the increased accent all about? found it hard to understand. lol. and i only live over the board from England. god help anyone furhter afield !

It's astounding how many people didn't get the accent joke, seeing as it was the equivalent of pounding your face with a big hammer, with the words "The Accents are Bad" written on it.

Gah! It was a Sarth Effriken accent, not at all like an Australian accent- I aught to know. And Ben Croshaw sounds more Aussie irl. LOL.

Sorry, I haven't had the time to read all the posts AND I'm late. But Farcry2 has struck me as a bit of a "sleeper" hit. Why? Because folks have been going back for the multiplayer online experience.

Now, Yahtzee made some fair comment about publishers expecting people to make content for this (to cover their ass) and that a lot of it would be shite. Well true, but it doesn't HAVE to be so. The map editor in FarCry2 is a good one and a mate of mine loves it. He is not such a good player but he is a great mapmaker. It seems to be his forte. Incredibility meticulous, rich and detailed he puts a LOT of effort into his maps. And people love his work. Articles he's written on various aspects of multiplayer mapmaking have been accepted for publication.

Ok, Yahtzee only had time to focus on the repetitious single player aspect of the game- and his comments on the multiplayer part reflected on this. But he wasn't fair imo on the idea of having a good map editor as part of the package. Of course many or most will be lame but there are some glittering gems amongst the excrement.

To point the way... see under "UnearthlyWatch" through Xbox Live. Download his maps and enjoy!

EDIT: I'd got the caps in the name wrong- sorry for any inconvenience.

Another good instalment of ZP. I guess the accent was fine in context, hopefully it won't be returning though (until another game decides to put one like that in). Something about Far Cry 2 just made me "meh" at any consideration of trying it out. Guess now I've seen this, I won't bother at all.

Keep up the awesome work, Yahtzee.

well i dont look at these reviews as assinments so i found it funny just like everyone else apart from you

So, no leads on the random UC Davis logo?

Yahtzee, you're sounding more and more Australian. I miss your English accent... :(

SeaCalMaster:

It usually shows up whenever he says "you see". He used it a lot in the older reviews, but he's not used it for a few months.

Aiwe:

SeaCalMaster:

It usually shows up whenever he says "you see". He used it a lot in the older reviews, but he's not used it for a few months.

Wow, I feel thick for having missed that. Thank you.

P.S. Why Davis? That's, like, the third- or fourth-ranked campus. Why not Berkeley or LA?

So didYahtzee lose his british accent?

Lord Doom:

If he has been reading this topic, what he might be losing already is his mind and the small faith he could had in the human race.

Great review for an ok game. I haven't really played it but still i have seen it enough to say that the explosions in the game rule. xD

The accent shifting was awsome ^^ keep up the good work Yahtzee!

I really didn't think the accent was necessary. It detracted from the review.

Very good the accent was hilarious.

ElTigreNegro:

Lord Doom:

If he has been reading this topic, what he might be losing already is his mind and the small faith he could had in the human race.

I thought he already lost his faith in the human race.

Akalabeth:

Solo508:
Been waiting for this one! :) Its a shame there was no reference to the shit ending though.

I don't get the impression that Yahtzee finished the game.

Which ending?!

hmmm not too sure about the accent tbh (tho ive never been to S.Africa admitidly)

but good review yahtzee and i take it that he didnt like it then - not that i could understand it for the most part. :/

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here