Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

that was a good one, loved the power rangers reference , is it just me or is Yahtzee starting to sound more Australian than British

I thought that he would hate it more, but nevertheless, a good review.

jewru:
that was a good one, loved the power rangers reference , is it just me or is Yahtzee starting to sound more Australian than British

It's not just you by the way.

Wasn't going to post since Fahr Crey 2 never really caught me interest, but Yahtzee's pseudo-Australian-South-African-Err-Whatchamacallit-Accent made this review FUN.

So...what is going on with that University of CA badge in the middle of it all?

did anyone else notice his accent changed randomly threw out?

also not bad. when is the gears on coming!!!!

I had to register, because something is confusing me.

Are people in this thread joking when they keep asking "what's with the accent" I realise maybe some younger members of the forum may not be so familiar with south african accents, but it was explained pretty clearly in the video that that's what he was doing.

And several people have asked about it, and it's been explained several times by various people that, he was doing a south african accent, and yet some people seem to be unable to grasp this very simple concept. So I can only assume people are either joking or must have severe learning difficulties. Is it that some people only listen to the swear words, and just sort of blank out the rest because they find it too confusing?

How about actually reading the thread, instead of just posting the first thought that pops into your confused little head and just skipping over any comments that don't seem to be responding to your own post.

I will say the accent was overdone and it seemed like he was just doing it because he was struggling to think of any other jokes, but I enjoyed the review nonetheless.

I liked it, except that he didn't mention the shooting gameplay. Planning your attack, carrying it out, and/or having to fire back desperately as enemies close in from all directions is the best part of the game, and I don't think he devoted a single word to that. Everything else was pretty much true, though.

Great review again Ben! Been watching you since your Fable & Darkness reviews way back on Youtube & seen everyone since. I think you put yourself at the top of my number one reviewer list when you slated Halo 3!

Does anyone else feel that Far Cry 2 was just a 'better looking' yet ultimately even more flawed version of Atari's pc fps/rpg "Boiling Point"?
Being the video game connoisseur that Yahtzee has us believe he is, I'm suprised he never made the connection. Or maybe it's just me who sees it...
As it happens I thought BP was a better game by far even if it bugged out alot.

Oh and even though it's been explained 3 or 4 times now, he was putting on the accent as a running joke to mock the games laughable african accents. He didn't have a cold or anything, just a sense of humor.

I wonder if he'll skip the Gears2 review in favour of the new Lord Of The Rings game. It seems like the kind of thing he would do just to be...well...Yahtzee really. Unless of course he was once again asked to review it by "4000 bleeting lambs". Priceless.

hoov:
I had to register, because something is confusing me.

Are people in this thread joking when they keep asking "what's with the accent" I realise maybe some younger members of the forum may not be so familiar with south african accents, but it was explained pretty clearly in the video that that's what he was doing.

And several people have asked about it, and it's been explained several times by various people that, he was doing a south african accent, and yet some people seem to be unable to grasp this very simple concept. So I can only assume people are either joking or must have severe learning difficulties. Is it that some people only listen to the swear words, and just sort of blank out the rest because they find it too confusing?

How about actually reading the thread, instead of just posting the first thought that pops into your confused little head and just skipping over any comments that don't seem to be responding to your own post.

I will say the accent was overdone and it seemed like he was just doing it because he was struggling to think of any other jokes, but I enjoyed the review nonetheless.

I think that some people don't even bother to watch the video, they're more eager to post how funny it was, or how ZP is not "what it used to be". Either that or they hardly pay attention to what Yahtzee is saying and they're just watching the cartoons.

Was expecting Gears2 also, but this was still hilarious....take THAT fictionesia...Yahtzee does it again...except for the Dan Brown reference...not cool

tooktook:

mokes310:
My sentiments exactly, although, Yahtzee is a bit more eloquent than I am, and much more talented with the South African accent.

My time to Shine! I live in Cape Town South Africa and the accent he was imitating was the Afrikaans accent (The Afrikaans were the white rulers during Apartheid, now the country is 80% black) and he did an awful job. In places it was passable but it really did suck.

Also, it made playing Far Cry 2 that much more painful as the accents in that game are equally bad.

I don't doubt that you live in Cape Town, but you are not a South African. No South African would say "now the country is 80% black". The black people have always been the majority, it's just the law no longer discriminates against them, so they were voted into parliament.

You are right about his accent, in that he did a terrible job, that was a aussie accent through and through (I found his attempt funny though). The two lines of Afrikaans in the game sound like people from Pretoria did the voices, so the accent is quite authentic.

I'm a white, Afrikaans as mother tongue, South African, I can translate the words above the guy's head at the start of the review, but since this site is PG-13 I won't. Anyway good review, summed up my thoughts on the game quite accurately.

So, yeah, that wavering accent thing was really weird. Also, the re-emergance of the purple dildo. We haven't seen that in awhile.

I never realized how repetitive it was. On the other hand, I didn't play for more than 45 minutes.

Yahtzee, your change in accent bewilders me and has be concerned for your overall health. I do hope it is simply to bet the bitches off your back about not having an Australian accent, but I do hope you return to the British accent I've grown accustomed to.

I really, really, DESPERATELY hope that Yahtzee re-records this thing without the nasal-sounding South African accent. Funny. REALLY funny. But it's so hard to understand what he's saying...

Yahtzee, its not a cryEngine!

tooktook:

mokes310:
My sentiments exactly, although, Yahtzee is a bit more eloquent than I am, and much more talented with the South African accent.

My time to Shine! I live in Cape Town South Africa and the accent he was imitating was the Afrikaans accent (The Afrikaans were the white rulers during Apartheid, now the country is 80% black) and he did an awful job. In places it was passable but it really did suck.

Also, it made playing Far Cry 2 that much more painful as the accents in that game are equally bad.

Well, since I'm an American and don't have much experience in the realm of all things South African, I'll have to take your word on it. It still made me chuckle a bit, and yes, the accents in the game could have been done a bit better.

Good boy, Yahtzee. You reviewed the game well, and threw in some humor. You get a cookie.
The shin-kickery will come at a later date.

I don't know what to make of it either ...

Although the accent was awsome.

Drop the transformation from a's to e's because it's driving me fucking crazy.
Otherwise a good review.

This thread has enraged me so much that I just had to register.

frozenpnx:
Yahtzee, your change in accent bewilders me and has be concerned for your overall health. I do hope it is simply to bet the bitches off your back about not having an Australian accent, but I do hope you return to the British accent I've grown accustomed to.

Either watch the review again, since the humour is is clearly far too complex for you to get on first viewing, or scroll up and read ElTigreNegro's post. Not that difficult...

redneon:
Was that a South African accent or a Brummy accent?

you've clearly never been to birmingham :|

Yahtzee's starting to sound... australian! Get back to the UK now while there's still a chance before you fully transform, Yahtzee! Noooooooo!

hehe, funny. But man, your accent seems thicker than normal :P

i heard many similar things based on the comments on steam, also my mom loved the Bear Gryls reference

(also i rewatched it, saw the credits and now i get it lol ki suck)

i have to agree with him. the open world sand box thing is getting kinda eh. i want a game that was well crafted has a set story and wants to tell me that story. the way proper RPGs and games were back in the PSone and PS2 days. the good ol days.

Come on people.

It's a game full of people with South African accents. Yahtzee makes a reference to the accent the first time he changes accent.

Make the connection! What it has to do with Australian accents.. or BIRMINGHAM ones(?!) I have no idea. ;)

Do people really think Australian/British/South African accents are interchangeable? They sound nothing at all alike. At all. I suppose if you're not native English speaking it all sounds the same though.

VaioStreams:
i have to agree with him. the open world sand box thing is getting kinda eh. i want a game that was well crafted has a set story and wants to tell me that story. the way proper RPGs and games were back in the PSone and PS2 days. the good ol days.

i agree, i do want a certain amount of customizability, but sandboxes are tiring, infact it makes me wonder why people are making sandboxes anymore? why not more games like
Half-life?!

Thank you for that review.
I actually have to say I have played and completed Farcry 2, and have enjoyed myself immensly. Not because it was a sandbox open end game of epic proportions, but because it was fun to blow sh*t up all the time. Once I got my hand on the grenade and rocket launcher, I raided almost every outpost just to see bodies flying through the air at an alarming rate.
Everyone his opinion I guess (and Yahtzee's opinions are always the most destructive, because he makes a video out of them). But a very enjoyable video, for a game that has left me with mixed feelings about it's quality.

What I'm wondering though is what the Stephen Fry mention was about.

That accent...I couldn't tell if you wanted to do a south African accent, British accent, or an Australian accent. I was wondering about what happened to your voice. Nice review a lot better than last weeks. You stuck to the game this time.

Nice review but the south African accent doesn't work with a Australian accent.
I should know ,im south African
plus i found fry cry 2 very slow in the beginning

He's just sour cause South Africa beat the Brits in Rugby, thus the stupid South African accent he tried to copy.

Is it just me or is ZP starting to gain an Aussie accent on top of his English one?

Hohoho Yatzee's crazy African accent is funny, but the fact that he said "zeabra" instead of the American "zeebra" is also amusing. Zebra :D

garr, yahtzee forgot hating on the rat maze-like structuring of the levels!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here