Unskippable: Ni no Kuni - Shortest Quest Ever

So is this Graham's alternate account? Did he forget the password for the regular one?

Also, that animation looks amazing. See what happens when you put the effort in, JRPGs? Your cutscenes go from "cardboard cutouts and text boxes" to "stunning beauty".

Thunderous Cacophony:
So is this Graham's alternate account? Did he forget the password for the regular one?

Also, that animation looks amazing. See what happens when you put the effort in, JRPGs? Your cutscenes go from "cardboard cutouts and text boxes" to "stunning beauty".

That's because Studio Ghibli and Level 5. Hell, Level 5 in particular has always had polished visuals in the games I've played from them.

- I have to ask my mom...
- I asked your mom last night. She said, "yeah baby, don't stop."

That would have better suited Phil's character.

Also, I suspect "saving the world" in this game might mean helping out the town, or even just a neighbourhood.

It's a sex bot isn't it, he made a sex bot.

This one actually has less prominent boobs than the last one. Miss Leila's don't count because she's wearing neither a leather nor a latex bodice. I thought we talked about this. If you want to cover an actual hentai game, you're going about this completely the wrong way.

Eric the Orange:
It's a sex bot isn't it, he made a sex bot.

She's finally ready! Be at my garage tonight. And bring a raincoat.

I'm sorry, but was Mr. Drippy (or whatever it's name was) Scottish?

Don Reba:

Also, I suspect "saving the world" in this game might mean helping out the town, or even just a neighborhood.

You do help out the town a bit to progress, but the core of the story is to save Oliver's mom.

Honestly wasn't a bad game, only reason I never finished it was I always started to or did fall asleep when playing it. Wasn't the gameplay so much as the music. Don't get me wrong the music is great but it just always knocked me out.

Brian Bohnett:

Don Reba:

Also, I suspect "saving the world" in this game might mean helping out the town, or even just a neighborhood.

You do help out the town a bit to progress, but the core of the story is to save Oliver's mom.

So... Detroit is still screwed?

If Ron Pearlman actually was in this game, I might actually play it...

Man, this game. I think I was 10 hours in and I had no idea what was going on. I was stealing people's happiness to increase my powers. All I could think of was, "I am to good guy, right?"

Man when I heard about this game my PS envy was through the roof! Level-5 and Studio Ghibli! How could it fail!!

" hmmm by pandering, padding, and cringe inducing voice-work and dialogue of course! " HRRRGHRHG

I got over it. Still gorgeous game. Would have been better spent resources on Rogue Galaxy 2 though. Guy can dream.

Raku-Gosha:
Man when I heard about this game my PS envy was through the roof! Level-5 and Studio Ghibli! How could it fail!!

" hmmm by pandering, padding, and cringe inducing voice-work and dialogue of course! " HRRRGHRHG

I got over it. Still gorgeous game. Would have been better spent resources on Rogue Galaxy 2 though. Guy can dream.

i thought the voice acting was great, hell for once, they got a real child to voice act in the game instead of a woman. for drippy they got a real welshman to play a welsh fairy.

Keiichi Morisato:

Raku-Gosha:

i thought the voice acting was great, hell for once, they got a real child to voice act in the game instead of a woman. for drippy they got a real welshman to play a welsh fairy.

Well I'll concede on that aspect. It was a great move to maintain some authenticity with the voices. I'll give you that one Keiichi Morisato

Skeleon:
This one actually has less prominent boobs than the last one. Miss Leila's don't count because she's wearing neither a leather nor a latex bodice. I thought we talked about this. If you want to cover an actual hentai game, you're going about this completely the wrong way.

Well, not in the opening cutscene. Depends on what the White Witch is wearing, or whoever owns that crystal ball and impeccably-dressed parrot.

When Paul was saying "Wrath of the White Witch", I thought he sounded like Elmer Fudd, so I had to do his signature laugh.

All jokes aside.

This was an AMAZING game.

One of the best JRPGs in the last decade.

I don't know, Mr. Drippy has more of a Danny Devito vibe to him.

Don Reba:

This is the dissonance almost any piece of media featuring kids in the "10 to 16 years old" bracket has to endure, because to have those kids talking the way they really do would be far too cringe-inducing. If the dialogue in say, Harry Potter, had been anywhere near the real thing, the sheer amount of dick and "your mom" jokes made between Harry and Ron would have anyone tossing the book out within minutes.

Aww, no dead mom jokes? You guys are aren't challenging yourselves anymore.

canadamus_prime:

Nope. Drippy's Welsh.

Raku-Gosha:

Which is why you always play Japanese games and watch Japanese anime in Japanese (with english subtitles) whenever the option is avalible, and in this case it is. They usually do far superior voice acting, partially as the job as a voice actor is very prestigeous in Japan. There, good voice actors are pretty much just as famous as movie stars.

Jhonie:

canadamus_prime:

Nope. Drippy's Welsh.

Oh sorry. Got my accents mixed up.

Fat_Hippo:

Don Reba:

This is the dissonance almost any piece of media featuring kids in the "10 to 16 years old" bracket has to endure, because to have those kids talking the way they really do would be far too cringe-inducing. If the dialogue in say, Harry Potter, had been anywhere near the real thing, the sheer amount of dick and "your mom" jokes made between Harry and Ron would have anyone tossing the book out within minutes.

And that's exactly what made Super 8 brilliant.

Blackout62:

Fat_Hippo:

Don Reba:

And that's exactly what made Super 8 brilliant.

True, Super 8's best moments were definitely when it was being funny and telling the down to earth story of these kids making a movie, telling dumb jokes and dealing with their problems...but the dramatic parts were merely okay, and kinda pulled the movie down a bit for me, though I still liked it.

It seems like it's very difficult to mix "realistic" teenagers with drama that doesn't fall flat, so you either go full hog "inappropriate" (Superbad, for example) or you create the version of what parents wish teenagers were like (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson etc.). I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you, I just haven't seen anything which managed to pull of the correct tone (or tonal shifts, really) necessary for this kind of movie.

Dicta-bird wearing a cravat. It can't get any better than that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here