The Big Picture: The Other Guys - Lesser Known Toys from the 80's

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Other Guys - Lesser Known Toys from the 80's

MovieBob fires up the time machine to take a look at some of the lesser-known cartoon/toy tie-ins from the 80's.

Watch Video

Those bugs do look creepy, I can't imagine I'd have wanted them as a kid.

In this episode, Bob discovers that his mother was going to throw out everything from his old room, and vowed to save as much as he could under the pretense of "It's my job, Ma!"

Still, really neat to see all that old stuff. That Sectaur base with the spider hand puppet looked like something young me would have killed to have.

It's like you raided my old toy box :) zoids and robotix (have the DVD for this) ah memories.

Well, looks like I didn't miss anything by not being born until after the 80's.

You know, the 80's and 90's knew how to make fun commercials. I don't want to be that "Everything was better back in the day" guy, but toys these days just... aren't the same. Even in actual stores, not only do the toys somehow look cheaper than they were fifteen years ago, but it's just impossible to find a good toy store anymore. Maybe that's just because of the state I live in, though. I always like to point out how we don't even have a Target. :D

shrekfan246:
You know, the 80's and 90's knew how to make fun commercials. I don't want to be that "Everything was better back in the day" guy, but toys these days just... aren't the same. Even in actual stores, not only do the toys somehow look cheaper than they were fifteen years ago, but it's just impossible to find a good toy store anymore. Maybe that's just because of the state I live in, though. I always like to point out how we don't even have a Target. :D

Are the cheap action figure's even still made? the only action figures I see are more like possible models and they aren't cheap.

I can only go by my cousins but over the last 5+ years they haven't had or asked for those type of toys it's lego, remote controlled cars/helicopters, sports stuff and gadgets/games/films.

Even the skylanders and Disney infinity figures are more like models than what I would call an action figure.

Awesome trip down memory lane. I still remember D-COMPOSE pretty vividly, as well as one of the bug/puppets from the Sectaurs.

I knew somebody with one of the RoboForce toys. It squirted water from that snout looking thing on its head. Weird.

Kumagawa Misogi:

shrekfan246:

Are the cheap action figure's even still made? the only action figures I see are more like possible models and they aren't cheap.

I can only go by my cousins but over the last 5+ years they haven't had or asked for those type of toys it's lego, remote controlled cars/helicopters, sports stuff and gadgets/games/films.

Even the skylanders and Disney infinity figures are more like models than what I would call an action figure.

I've seen a few of them buried in really weird places you wouldn't expect to find them, usually just licensed movie toys or something, but yeah, they're incredibly scarce these days.

It's a shame, really. When I was growing up, I had something like twelve different versions of Batman, and the best part was that half of them were based off of Animated Series Batman and the other half were based off of the live action films.

I remember other shows like Sky Commanders and Dino Riders. I remember the commericals and the toys more than the cartoons themselves.

Robotix are the only ones I remembered. I don't know if it's because I'm in that "too old to remember" category, or I just have a really terrible memory.

Next time he needs to cover the second tier stuff, like the Centurions or the Silver Hawks

Ne1butme:
I remember other shows like Sky Commanders and Dino Riders. I remember the commericals and the toys more than the cartoons themselves.

I actually kind of expected Dino Riders to get a nod here. Also, MASK comes to mind as one of those weird ass b-list tie in series. Made weirder by the fact that the TV series has actually gotten a DVD release.

Kumagawa Misogi:

shrekfan246:

I still see Star Wars action figures in pretty much every major retailer I go into. While they have changed a bit, the change from mid 90s to now is no greater than the 80s to mid 90s (Legos are another thing entirely - it makes me sad to see models having fewer pieces while costing more).

It's definitely true though. While existing action figure lines remain more or less in tact, all of the new ones are following this ridiculous fad of chunky one-piece vinyl figures. Plastic army men are even more fun to play with than these things, and army men are so cheap that you blow half of them up with firecrackers and not even care. (is there any other reason people buy them!?)

I had a video of one of the episodes of Blackstar as a child. For years it was one of their cartoons where I remembered just enough to know that I had watched it but very little of the plot or any of the names.

JPArbiter:
Next time he needs to cover the second tier stuff, like the Centurions or the Silver Hawks

I'd argue this is definately prone to a follow up episode later down the line.

OT: Oh Bob, you got me with the Max Steel reference. Then I'm reminded of the new version that's about to go into a second season, and I die a little inside X3

Love how robotix even has the same narrator has transformers. And that is the only one of these I remeber. But transformers or gtfo.

No DinoRiders? Or were DinoRiders part of the "popular" clique? I have no idea. I knew that I liked them as a kid anyway.

I just got back into lego and I am 24 :/

To be fair I kinda want to do a sort of table top warhammer style game with the Lego Castle set.

Awesome to see some really weird toys. Weirdly enough living in South Africa. I actually saw a few of those shows aired. Due to the whole apartheid over now back to American TV.

4:08 John Blackstar is rescued by the tiny Trobbit people, in turn he joins their fight for freedom against (dramatic pause) The Cruel Overlord.

So the name of the cruel overlord is "The Cruel Overlord"? That doesn't seem very inventive, even for an 80's cartoon.

Always interesting to see what kind of obscure stuff Bob digs up with videos like this. That said, I'm hoping for another episode where he really takes a stand on something, if only because that can spawn some lively discussions.

Starke:

Ne1butme:

I actually kind of expected Dino Riders to get a nod here. Also, MASK comes to mind as one of those weird ass b-list tie in series. Made weirder by the fact that the TV series has actually gotten a DVD release.

I was going to mention M.A.S.K. but then i realized that it went 75 episodes.

But seriously, how weird was the 2nd season of MASK? The show completely changed and now it was about racing.

Evonisia:
Those bugs do look creepy, I can't imagine I'd have wanted them as a kid.

I actually had that castle as a kid. Those crazy bugs (and especially the puppet you controlled in the cave) were a lot of fun. What kid doesn't like creepy stuff? I never played "Sectaurs" though. I don't think I ever even saw the show. I just played around with the monsters eating people and stuff.

Similarly, I once got this weird GI Joe boat for Cobra that had a shark's mouth. Even though it was mostly a boat, it also had a shark mouth that opened and closed with rubber teeth. So, I mainly used it to play "Jaws".

The Sectaurs toys were fantastic! They were well made and fun as hell to play with. The bugs that were attached to gloves looked great and seemed enormous. Episodes like these remind me of the treasure trove of amazing toys I gave up when my parents convinced me that I was too old to be messing with them anymore. I don't regret giving the stuff up, some other needy kids probably got a ton of fun out of them, but I would love to be able to see the whole collection of stuff I had.

The most important question: Can we use the Robotix or Sectaurs to annex the sudetenland?

Wow. And I was wondering where that Robot Chicken sketch on Sectaurs came from.

Anyways Bob, the next time you make one of these episodes dedicated to showcasing cheesy stuff from the 80s and 90s, save a spot for Bucky O'Hare. That's another toyline/tv series that didn't catch on. (Even though it should of)

I don't think it ever got toys, but when I look at the animation for Blackstar, I can't help but see "Thundarr The Barbarian".

Good Lord was I a Blackstar fan. Seemed like the show was literally on one week, and then not on the next, only to return the following week...but maybe that's the age-induced haze taking over. Still bought the series when it was issued on DVD though.

Didn't the Inhumanoids also have this whole thing going with the 'hollow Earth' concept? Where there were entire civilizations living closer to the Earth's core?

And the Sectaurs. Wow. If my (bad) memory serves me at all, didn't the original commericals for those toys have a serialized format? Little 1-2 minute episodes, but using the toys not cartoon animation.

oh lordy am i a Zoids fan boy

What no Thundar the Barbarian?

Its videos like this that make me realize that even if the 2000.s didn't have many good animated shows, it was still a million times better than the toy commercials of the eighties.

My childhood just flashed before my eyes there...

Sir Shockwave:

JPArbiter:

I'd argue this is definately prone to a follow up episode later down the line.

Seconding this.

Angnor:
I don't think it ever got toys, but when I look at the animation for Blackstar, I can't help but see "Thundarr The Barbarian".

Seconding this too. Get outta my head, guys!!!

"I am John Carter, er, I mean Blackstar!"

Also...trobbits? The little troll/hobbits are called trobbits? Still, I suppose in the 80s hobbits might not have been as well known as they are now there's been five major motion pictures about them

Wow, some of these toys actually look pretty cool... too bad thye must cost a fortune by now... *SIGH*

I actually did have one of the Zoids toys back in the day.

It made alot of noise then fell over after taking one step.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here