Trailers: Dragon Age: Inquisition - "The Inquisitor" Trailer

Dragon Age: Inquisition - "The Inquisitor" Trailer

Things are about to get awfully grim in the land of Thedas.

Watch Video

From what I see in the gameplay bits of the trailer is Dragon age taking bits from Dark Souls & Skyrim; maybe some from Dragon's Dogma bit that's stretching it a bit. Will just state it looks good and tells us next to nothing besides plot bait.

Oh that's it, that clinches it RIGHT NOW. I'm calling it, the Inquisitor is The Maker come to judge Thedas. I am CALLING IT NOW. Serious Jesus Christ symbolism in that trailer, especially so with that final shot of him at a table with his...12! companions.

Regardless of THAT plot twist coming from beyond the horizon, I look forward to this game.

Those spell effects look gorgeous. I'm really looking forward to this, it looks like they learned their lesson with Dragon Age 2.

Looks stunning and I do like the idea of a threat that could pretty much wipe away and twist the world itself. Surprisingly this tops even Origins, which already dealt with some pretty high stakes.

What I DON'T like is the lazy Chosen One -type character they've made the Inquisitor to be. What I liked about in Bioware games was that you never succeeded in great things because it was "your destiny" or something. You had to create that path by yourself, with your own two hands. Some of that seems to be lost here.

TravelerSF:
Looks stunning and I do like the idea of a threat that could pretty much wipe away and twist the world itself. Surprisingly this tops even Origins, which already dealt with some pretty high stakes.

What I DON'T like is the lazy Chosen One -type character they've made the Inquisitor to be. What I liked about in Bioware games was that you never succeeded in great things because it was "your destiny" or something. You had to create that path by yourself, with your own two hands. Some of that seems to be lost here.

Sorry, what? Every single Bioware RPG has made you the Chosen one. You're Baalspawn. You're Darth Revan the original master of the Dark Lord. You're the last surviving Grey Warden. You are literal Space Jesus Shepard brought back from the dead.

There looked to be quite a bit of NPCs in the party. I hope they flesh them all out, rather than just shove a bunch of unnecessary characters. Also, the trailer looks good but I have been burned by DA 2 and I am cautious.

otakon17:
Oh that's it, that clinches it RIGHT NOW. I'm calling it, the Inquisitor is The Maker come to judge Thedas. I am CALLING IT NOW. Serious Jesus Christ symbolism in that trailer, especially so with that final shot of him at a table with his...12! companions.

Regardless of THAT plot twist coming from beyond the horizon, I look forward to this game.

Sounds plausible enough.

Anyway, I hope the gameplay finds a sweet middle ground between DA:O and DA2. It's one of two games I'm so far looking forward to this year, so it'd better be good.

I also hope my PC can actually run it, seeing how it runs on the Frostbite 3 engine. I could handle Battlefield 3 well enough but I never played 4.

Meh, not interested. I want a game where i play as Anders, who f###s the whole chantry up, just like in DA2. I HATE the chantry.

otakon17:

I really really want more of that story, and I hope you're right.

It certainly looks pretty.

Not a big fan of the whole CHOSEN ONE thing that seems to be going on there, but maybe they'll do something interesting with it.

Love it, there's a clear draw on inspiration from a lot of well-loved and successful games which I'm glad of because as much as I love Bioware they don't do combat well on their own. Now we just have to see if the story-line is better than DA2 which it should be given that they've had a lot more time on the game.

maxben:

otakon17:

Definitely, but you might want to mark that for spoilers just to be safe. Not everyone has played the DA II DLC.

Anyway, that's my prediction on how it turns out The Inquisitor survived that blast and is the one implicitly trusted with closing The Rift.

I dunno, it seems like Mass Effect 3 and DA:O all over again, with building alliances, teaming up to battle the evil denizens of the fade etc (teaming up with those in the last shot(various races) and characters - is that Alistair on the far left?).

Pure speculation on my part, of course.

Varric looks incredibly hot. That chest.

DSK-:
I dunno, it seems like Mass Effect 3 and DA:O all over again, with building alliances, teaming up to battle the evil denizens of the fade etc (teaming up with those in the last shot(various races) and characters - is that Alistair on the far left?).

When they tried something different story wise, Dragon Age 2, there was an overwhelming amount of hate because people didn't feel like big, special snow flake heroes at the end.

I loved DA2 personally for the story, the ending needed some work, but I loved it. I'm willing to bet Bioware is scared to get too creative and break out of the big, special snow flake heroes now. Though ME3 probably has them confused.

otakon17:

maxben:

otakon17:

I really really want more of that story, and I hope you're right. If anyone remembers, when you meet one of the original mages who went into The Maker's city he says that the Golden City didn't turn Black when they got to it (which is what the Church teaches) but that it was always black and twisted. I loved that twist and I hope we get to learn more about what actually happened there.

Definitely, but you might want to mark that for spoilers just to be safe. Not everyone has played the DA II DLC.

Anyway, that's my prediction on how it turns out The Inquisitor survived that blast and is the one implicitly trusted with closing The Rift.

Well if they haven't played the DA II DLC then they aren't REAL FANS!!! Such people shouldn't be allowed to purchase Inquisition!

Nah, I'm just kidding, good call. I've gone ahead and added the spoiler tags. I think you need to edit your quote of my earlier comments to get the tags in as well.

I want one.

PirateRose:

DSK-:

When they tried something different story wise, Dragon Age 2, there was an overwhelming amount of hate because people didn't feel like big, special snow flake heroes at the end.

I loved DA2 personally for the story, the ending needed some work, but I loved it. I'm willing to bet Bioware is scared to get too creative and break out of the big, special snow flake heroes now. Though ME3 probably has them confused.

Not to re-tread ground, but the story was a mess. The pacing alone was enough to ruin it for me but beyond your companions no one really gets any development character-wise

Soviet Heavy:
Sorry, what? Every single Bioware RPG has made you the Chosen one. You're Baalspawn. You're Darth Revan the original master of the Dark Lord. You're the last surviving Grey Warden. You are literal Space Jesus Shepard brought back from the dead.

There were thousands of Baalspawns battling to become the new Baal, along with others who weren't Baalspawns but wanted this power. So being a Baalspawn didn't mean anything.

You weren't the last Grey Warden; there was Alister, Riordan, and all the Grey Wardens in other countries. You could end the blight without the Grey Wardens with Morrigan's help, which further diminishes the Warden's chosen one status.

Shepard and Darth Revan do fit the chosen one criteria as they were the only ones who could do a specific task.

PirateRose:

That was due to poor story telling. Despite being the champion you had no influence. Despite being able to side with the Templars or the Mages throughout the game it didn't have any influence on the ending, or any other part of the story. Despite beating the leaders of the Mages and Templars you never felt like you'd accomplished anything because the revolts throughout Thedas would have occurred even if you'd failed.

Also throughout the game Hawke was treated like a special snowflake; which is why he had a big mansion, was called the champion, and everyone asked him for help. The Warden from DA was far less of special snowflake than Hawke.

The story was a mess.

In act 1 you're supposed to get 50 gold to fund an expedition but you can't go on it until you've completed all the subquests the game wants you to do. Also your mother asks your uncle about her inheritance a year after living with your uncle, rather than shortly after arriving.

In act 2 Hawke's mother is killed but Hawke isn't changed by this in any way (no character development). While the Arishok does help the story it's nonsensical to believe that the Quanri can't find Isabella when she's been in the same bar, in the same city as them for 3 years.

In act 3 your mail box is the primary quest giver and despite being the champion you're still the same Hawke (no special powers or items). You also have to kill pretty much everyone no matter who you've sided with in the past. This makes all the choices you've made meaningless.

People hated ME3 because none of your choices had any impact on the ending and much of the plot made no sense. It was nothing to do with Shepard not being special enough.

Smudboy explains all the problems with DA2 and ME3 on his youtube channel.

PirateRose:

DSK-:

I don't mind different, but from what I played and experienced, it was incoherent and not a particularly enjoyable experience - not that I'm trying to start another DA2 hate thread or anything of the sort, this is purely my viewpoint.

I simply made conjecture that it appears that you find and align yourself with a group of outstanding individuals to fight the 'cascade' as they call it. I wasn't complaining in the slightest, just 'typing out loud' you could say. Perhaps it was my fault for making it seem that way in my post ;)

otakon17:

There's a cool plot twist. The Inquisitor is that worlds Jesus! XD

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here