Zero Punctuation: The Elder Scrolls Online - We Can MMO Too

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Elder Scrolls Online - We Can MMO Too

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews The Elder Scrolls Online.

Watch Video

Technically, Blizzard didn't steal the panda thing from Kung Fu Panda.

Ugh, I got bored of Kung Fu Panda jokes about Mists of Pandaria, oh wait I never found them funny. Granted if anybody has actually played the thing they'd realise that the Pandaren are much more than that and it has a rather grim tone, albeit poorly written.

Still I've never really understood the point of TESO. Yes I do like the idea of being able to see some friends when I'm walking about in Cyrodiil but in truth always having to see them would be a pain in the arse. I guess I'll give this one a miss, and wait until I can return to Cyrodiil for two missions in TES VI: Valenwood or the Khajit place. Oblivion is almost painted in a positive light in this video which is a bit odd, but I guess time and TESO have improved Oblivion in one's graces.

In their defense at some point one guy said to his friend "Hey I wish Elder scrolls were two player." MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Sounds exactly what I thought it would be, but I haven't enjoyed an elder scrolls game since Morrowind so either way this one was definitely off my list.

I've never played an MMO before, but even I have to ask why the hell you'd do the whole "destiny" thing when you're not even the only player in the world.

Oh, the great Stargate Expansion. About a thousand games promised, about zero delivered.

Not just the MMOs (yes, there was more than one), but a first person shooter, a First/Third person action game, and about two dozen adventures.

Damn it, thios video has made me nostalgic for the hope I once had for a decent SG-1 game.

Also, I eagerly await the solitaire MMO. Seems to be where things are going.

ImBigBob:
I've never played an MMO before, but even I have to ask why the hell you'd do the whole "destiny" thing when you're not even the only player in the world.

Because new ideas are hard and actually frowned upon in MMO land.

Yet more stamping of the 'MMO' badge on random IPs in desperate hope of success and still paling in comparison to everything, City of Heroes especially.

When I think Elder Scrolls multiplayer, I think 2-4 player co-op. You know what would be fun? Exploring this dungeon with a close friend! Not 50 strangers.

So that's another mmo that isn't as good as World Of Warcraft.

*looks at my copy of Mists Of Pandaria."

You and I are going to be together forever aren't we?

You're... reviewing an MMO?

Different I guess. It is amusing though that S&B seems to be considered the best possible weapon skill.

Pretty good criticism by yahtzee anyone who wants a longer more in depth review should check out Angry Joe's review of ESO. Needless to say it has a lot of basic problems an MMO shouldn't have today.

But...
The communist tank is american (M1)...

Is there a meaning here somewhere :D

This sounds like the most boring accountant simulator ever.

And yes, I too fell for the "run off in a random direction and find adventure" tip. My arse was swiftly handed to me.
Really, nobody wanted this, did they? Why did they?

Kind of expected this from the moment I heard of Elder Scrolls Online...

Gameguy20100:
So that's another mmo that isn't as good as World Of Warcraft.

*looks at my copy of Mists Of Pandaria."

You and I are going to be together forever aren't we?

One of us! One of us! But World of Warcraft is the MacDonalds of MMOs don't you know? You gotta get out there and play all the greats pasts and present /sarcasm.

I know you probably won't be reading this Yahtzee, but Pandaren were in Warcraft 3 (especially Chen Stormstout the main pandaren hero) before Kung Fu Panda was even made so your joke about that part falls rather flat.

Of course there are few that actually know this, but hey..all in good fun right? Right.

People wanted Skyrim you could play with your friends. They did not want World of Warcraft wearing Skyrim's skin. Zynax or whatever they're called of course wanted World of Warcraft wearing Skyrim's skin, so that they could farm TES's fanbase for $15 per month + $60 + $microtransactions.

I did want an ability for a co-op buddy in future Fallout or Elder Scroll games (but only so far as to replace your NPC followers)...but an MMO is a bit much lol
doesn't work the same either

I actually really like ESO the PvP has a DAOC feel, I haven't seen a MMO that has Semi good controls IE Not tab target garbage, and quests that are fully voiced with interesting backgrounds. I'm not delusional the game has its issues latency comes to mind with the occasional issue with there being to many people in 1 area, but I am having a lot of fun and it only seems to get better as I get higher in level. I'm veteran rank 3 and the mobs and puzzles seems to only get harder and more obscure its getting interesting to see the select few that has what it takes to fight the mobs at the level I'm at, there is no more than 200 of us.

PS The Vet level dungeons are extremely hard and require coordination beyond the scope of a normal human group stuff like that is refreshing to see, unlike WoW which is only getting more "Accessible" with every expansion they come out with.

I have sometimes thought that a game joining multiplayer aspect in Skyrim would be nice, but more for fucking around than actually playing it. And only when you can control who joins so you only get your friend who's all about running around killing wolves with no clothes on. Making it into an MMO where you aren't given the fuck aroundy freedom or the ability to choose your colleagues is missing the point a bit. And it still flummoxes me when an MMO expects you to pay cash up front to buy it and then thinks it can still charge you a monthly subscription fee.

Grumman:
People wanted Skyrim you could play with your friends. They did not want World of Warcraft wearing Skyrim's skin. Zynax or whatever they're called of course wanted World of Warcraft wearing Skyrim's skin, so that they could farm TES's fanbase for $15 per month + $60 + $microtransactions.

The game does not have micro as far as I can tell, also the game plays nothing like world of warcraft please stop making up lies about the game.

I always hear that it is awful to play games like this from Australia. Kinda sucks.

Chinchy:
also the game plays nothing like world of warcraft

Maybe not, but it sure doesn't play like any of the other ES games. Combat in ESO is really boring and doesn't have that same awesome feel as the fighting mecanic in the other games in the series.

And here I thought the hype train for SWTOR died down fast. I mean, it's just been up/down with this game; complete silence. Perhaps, that's due to people being hopelessly addicted to the title, but I doubt it.

Not that I'm affected by it, I'm more excited for 'Wildstar.' For once, a sizable MMORPG is coming out and it's not claiming to be a total revolution, just a fun experience you may or may not enjoy. It's nice because there's less chance of crushing disappointment that way. But, until that day comes along, I'm perfectly content with 'Guild Wars 2.'

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to WvW. The Charr race isn't going to establish dominance all by itself.

like wow? no
microtransactions? so far, a horse, the digital deluxe edition and for the future some services like name change
Issues? Hell, yeah, it has a ton of issues. Never seen an MMO that has none.
Enjoyable? Yes. Very much so. It IS elder scrolls, just a different take on it.
Should you play it? How should I know if you would enjoy it? If you can, try. Make up your own mind. I enjoy the hell out of it.

I want to comment on this, but like my opinion on ESO, I just can't bring myself to have something even trivial to say. I hear ESO is good, but not worth what they are charging for it.

All in all, I think this episode was a good simulator of the ESO experience as far as I know...

Chinchy:
I actually really like ESO the PvP has a DAOC feel

This right here is the answer to "why mmo" imo. heh

Charcharo:
But...
The communist tank is american (M1)...

Is there a meaning here somewhere :D

it means we need reinforcements to the Sudetenland, they are throwing potatoes at us!

OT: to be fair, Defiance tried to do some things differently. too bad they were all bad.

that is no excuse though for how bad ESO is.

About what I expected to hear about ESO. An Elder Scrolls where I can't faff about or abuse the physics, no thanks.

But I'm not sure why Yahtzee would include Defiance in the list of franchises getting ham-handedly forced into the MMO shitstorm. As I understand it, the game and the show were created together, so the show could handle the bulk of the world-building, instead of awkwardly jamming exposition into the game. They are supposed to work together, instead of say Star Trek which just tried to capitalize on a preexisting franchise.

The Gentleman:
I hear ESO is good, but not worth what they are charging for it.

Yeah, you're kinda right. You have to be either a big fan of TES or a big fan of realm vs realm / PvP. I'm both so this game is worth every cent. However, I can see why a lot of people wouldn't be able to get into it.

Honestly, I'm totally cool with ESO filling that niche. So many gamers complain about mass appeal (ie game that don't target a niche) then endlessly complain when something doesn't appeal to them.

Catasros:
Kind of expected this from the moment I heard of Elder Scrolls Online...

Yeah.. There seems to be so little chance of non-WOW MMOs succeeding nowadays that it depresses me when a good developer feels the need to throw their hat into the ring.

jehk:

The Gentleman:
I hear ESO is good, but not worth what they are charging for it.

Yeah, you're kinda right. You have to be either a big fan of TES or a big fan of realm vs realm / PvP. I'm both so this game is worth every cent. However, I can see why a lot of people wouldn't be able to get into it.

Honestly, I'm totally cool with ESO filling that niche. So many gamers complain about mass appeal (ie game that don't target a niche) then endlessly complain when something doesn't appeal to them.

I think that's partially because the economics of an MMO (massive production costs and significant ongoing costs) requires a broader appeal so that it can be profitable.

I don't get the appeal of MMOs. I dunno, I guess the fact that you're not the one savung the day anymore kinda rubs me the wrong way... (Though if they made a decent Firefly MMO, I admit I'd give it a shot...)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here