The Escapist Presents: Dark Souls 2 You Died A Lot

Dark Souls 2 You Died A Lot

In honor of Dark Souls 2 PC version getting released, here's a little of what you can look forward to.

Watch Video

Hah even though the player doesn't look that skilled(he never rolls but i never played DS2 so i have no clue if its the same) some parts look so frustrating. Like that fog forest gonna be a nightmare it seems.

Is that anor londo and blighttown? Are you in lordran again?

I would have included a head-munching from an ogre instead of so many falling deaths. Head-munching is so OP ._.

I like how the pew sound in the song timed up perfectly with one of the Dragonrider's arrows at the end lol

Half of the deaths looks artificial as fuck.
I mean, if you got as far as Drangleic Castle would you really get killed by a Dragonrider?

And forest is so ez if you have, I dunno, working eyes that can see those obvious air distortions. Or just bring torch with you. Getting invaded in that forest gotta be the tits though.

Video rating: bad

Some of those hitboxes are a little suspect....

KoudelkaMorgan:
I would have included a head-munching from an ogre instead of so many falling deaths. Head-munching is so OP ._.

I like how the pew sound in the song timed up perfectly with one of the Dragonrider's arrows at the end lol

The damn hit box on the ogres is ridiculous, I'd go as far as to say broken. They get you with the head munch when you're a good 2-3 metres away from them

I haven't played it but there was a bizzare amount of me going "wait that hit him?" Hitboxes look bad.

God... The boulder.

Same exact thing happened to me. Watching that scene triggered a little PTS

Schmeiser:
That fog forest gonna be a nightmare it seems.

You wouldn't even know how true that statement is.

I've played some horror games and I must say, that segment in DS2 is by far scarier. Everything's extremely foggy so unless you've explored that part without dying, you'll get lost. There are enemies who're completely invisible except for their armor having outlines (like a very blurred figure you can witness coming if you focus your eyes closely) but by that time, it's already to late.

Their backstabs instant kill you. Even the end bosses can't KO you like these spirits can. The scariest part is once you do hit them, or hurt them- they'll back away into the fog and come after you once you move again. You cannot even auto target them unless you land 2 hits, but when they run... you WON'T chase them. Why? Because it leaves your behind wide open for other spirits to try a backstab on.

That's not even the worst part. The worst part.... is that there's amazing loot in that fog. It makes you want to try and get everything but at the same time, it's extremely dangerous. No torch, ring, or item can help you out to survive unless you block at all times, keep your back against a wall (or tree), and manage to off them quickly enough so they won't run off.

As far as I know, there's like 6 spirits in the fog. They also have range attacks if not really random spurts of attacks. They'll always try to backstab you though, they are programmed to be smarter then the usual AI.
I think i've died like, five times there. Most likely everyone who's new has died there. Luckily, you don't have to explore it and just hug the wall until you reach a corner to hit up a bonfire. Sadly, as I mentioned... the items are REALLY good so you will not resist in trying to get them.

OT: I laughed at the boulder. It's so random and unsuspecting. I remember when going there, that I noticed a giant rock sitting on the hill, leading me to go, "Oh yea that's a thing. They're going to totally try tricking me." So when I heard it rolling, I ran back and lived. Only to die when a SECOND ONE came out of nowhere. I didn't notice it because a small legion of hollows came at me. Darn Dark Souls 2 does well in tricking you when you're occupied man.

MiracleOfSound:

KoudelkaMorgan:

The damn hit box on the ogres is ridiculous, I'd go as far as to say broken. They get you with the head munch when you're a good 2-3 metres away from them

If you're near them, rolling two or three times won't even save you. The grab animation has ridiculous reach. I'd agree it should be looked at.

Caramel Frappe:

Schmeiser:
That fog forest gonna be a nightmare it seems.

You wouldn't even know how true that statement is.

I've played some horror games and I must say, that segment in DS2 is by far scarier. Everything's extremely foggy so unless you've explored that part without dying, you'll get lost. There are enemies who're completely invisible except for their armor having outlines (like a very blurred figure you can witness coming if you focus your eyes closely) but by that time, it's already to late.

Their backstabs instant kill you. Even the end bosses can't KO you like these spirits can. The scariest part is once you do hit them, or hurt them- they'll back away into the fog and come after you once you move again. You cannot even auto target them unless you land 2 hits, but when they run... you WON'T chase them. Why? Because it leaves your behind wide open for other spirits to try a backstab on.

That's not even the worst part. The worst part.... is that there's amazing loot in that fog. It makes you want to try and get everything but at the same time, it's extremely dangerous. No torch, ring, or item can help you out to survive unless you block at all times, keep your back against a wall (or tree), and manage to off them quickly enough so they won't run off.

As far as I know, there's like 6 spirits in the fog. They also have range attacks if not really random spurts of attacks. They'll always try to backstab you though, they are programmed to be smarter then the usual AI.
I think i've died like, five times there. Most likely everyone who's new has died there. Luckily, you don't have to explore it and just hug the wall until you reach a corner to hit up a bonfire. Sadly, as I mentioned... the items are REALLY good so you will not resist in trying to get them.

OT: I laughed at the boulder. It's so random and unsuspecting. I remember when going there, that I noticed a giant rock sitting on the hill, leading me to go, "Oh yea that's a thing. They're going to totally try tricking me." So when I heard it rolling, I ran back and lived. Only to die when a SECOND ONE came out of nowhere. I didn't notice it because a small legion of hollows came at me. Darn Dark Souls 2 does well in tricking you when you're occupied man.

The Fog wasn't that terrible for me, but then I walked through it all slowly constantly having my shield up, and when possible my back against something. when I first got there I just followed the wall to the right, not knowing what would attack me but worried about the large about of player death bloodstains where lying around the entrance of the fog.

Oh an unrelated note I love this music

Ham Blitz:
Snip

That is because you were playing it like a true Dark Souls player. Keep caution and shield up at all times. Unless you know exactly how to counter back-stabbing invisible ghosts whom you can't auto target in the fog by duel wielding (cause pros be risky like that?) ... I highly doubt you'll go in without a shield raised up lol.

It was a nightmare for me because I wanted all the loot. I try to hunt down all the items every time even if I have to die a few times to learn how one obtains something. This includes risking getting backstabbed to grab those sweet rings at the end of the hill in such dense fog.

The number of times I die now though has trimmed down dramatically. When you know what's up or how things work... you easily bypass anything. It's only invaders or human players that you cannot predict their moveset in say, PvP or during invasions.

Caramel Frappe:

Ham Blitz:
Snip

That is because you were playing it like a true Dark Souls player. Keep caution and shield up at all times. Unless you know exactly how to counter back-stabbing invisible ghosts whom you can't auto target in the fog by duel wielding (cause pros be risky like that?) ... I highly doubt you'll go in without a shield raised up lol.

It was a nightmare for me because I wanted all the loot. I try to hunt down all the items every time even if I have to die a few times to learn how one obtains something. This includes risking getting backstabbed to grab those sweet rings at the end of the hill in such dense fog.

The number of times I die now though has trimmed down dramatically. When you know what's up or how things work... you easily bypass anything. It's only invaders or human players that you cannot predict their moveset in say, PvP or during invasions.

My PTSD in DS is bas enough that whenever I play games with a similar controller configuration, I find myself hitting that L1 button out of instinct. I got Skyrim at about the same time as DS1, and I distinctively remember walking around every dungeon with my shield raised at all times...

And yeah, first few times on that section are nerve racking. They can still be, especially because you can never be sure you actually cleared the area.

Some exploration does bring about a narrow cliff where you can at least make sure they attack you from the front.

OT: Some of these deaths seem like the kind of mistakes we all do at some point, a lot more seem (too obviously) staged.

I've played through DS1 and 2 a few times each and I have never once been petrified. So, git gud?

The fog forest was really hard until I learned that you could just run.

Honestly! Just run! They'll get like one errant hit on you. Those enemies aren't programmed to chase you down, just opportunistically gank you.

Well, rather I should say it was really hard for my mage character. For the SuperHeavyKnight even backstabs aren't fatal. Armor matters waaay more in this than it did in Dark Souls, and Dark Souls armor was a huge step up from Demon Souls armor (which I'm still convinced was a conspiracy to make you slower).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here