Jimquisition: Revivify The Cold Vitae

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Revivify The Cold Vitae

It is time we had a little chat about the PlayStation Vita. The headline is an Old World of Darkness reference. I have geek cred.

Watch Video

Hell, even my cellphone can play Crash Bandicoot (it's an Xperia Play, the game came pre-installed)

Talking about Sony and Crash Bandicoot, why did they toss him in a ditch? Sure Wrath of Cortex wasn't the best, but why abandon him?

Any chance of a gif of those last 5 seconds or so where Jim enters full Sassy-Black-woman mode?

Hutzpah Chicken:
Talking about Sony and Crash Bandicoot, why did they toss him in a ditch? Sure Wrath of Cortex wasn't the best, but why abandon him?

They never owned him. Crash was Universal's property. Universal was sold to Vivendi, which was sold to Activision, the current owners who are doing fucking nothing with him.

OT: I seriously hope someone important at Sony watches this. It's perfect.
You're really a lucky bastard if you actually managed to get Crash on your Vita. I was a day late to exploit the "glitch".

Also this pissed me off a bit:
He tweets this and then never acknowledges that it's actually playable on Vita after it was "fixed".

I think Jim nailed it in an earlier vid when he said that Sony is basically begging for piracy. It's such a pity that they still haven't learned their lessons.

Glad someone here mentioned this. Sony seems to sabotage this thing pretty badly. Other than what you said, Content manager's less than stellar. They only recently upped the limit on apps on the front to more than 100 (perhaps because 20 are now mandatory and can't be removed), and that doesn't cover old things that have been fixed like adding folders, and not having you apps rearange when you swap memory cards.

I love my vita to pieces, but boy Sony doesn't make that easy. Hell, they lost a few overpriced memory card sales from me by "fixing" that library glitch, but all the software I'd planned to buy to add to my vita. Good job Sony. You must have my money.

Under_your_bed:
Any chance of a gif of those last 5 seconds or so where Jim enters full Sassy-Black-woman mode?

I swear he does these purely for the gifs that come out of it.

This also doesn't just apply to Sony though. Nintendo is also quite guilty of this right now. The Wii U's VC updates each week have become a complete and utter joke to the point where people kept saying "This weeks VC update: Not SMB3" for a while. And, looking at the what Japan has in their VC library, people are wondering what's going on. Granted, it has gotten a bit better as of late, but there should be no excuse of this.

Along with releasing content universally, there's also the problem with the announcement of the latest Fatal Frame leaving people wondering if NoA will localize it or just leave it be.

It really is a shame. I just got the Vita a few weeks ago to play persona 4 golden (this happened a little before they announced persona 4 will be available on psn) and Im amazed at just how beautiful things look on it and Ive been trying to find more stuff for it because it really is a useful machine but Im not finding much. It's a really impressive piece of tech but it needs more software to really take off

Why am I not surprised... Sony should at least promote the Vita more, the mobile games added to it would be awesome as well, but just why is it being neglected?

I should be getting a Vita for my birthday this week. This harshed my buzz a little, not gonna lie.

Seriously, you can't even get Spyro on it?

Come on Sony, I'd love to own one of your consoles again but you have to pull it together. Even the Nintendo 3DS uses regular SD cards. There is no reason to use a proprietary card for the Vita.

You forgot to mention Depths of Fear: Knossos on that list of games that should be on the PSVita. Dat level complete song.

But yeah, I'm thinking whether I should get a PSVita or a Wii U, I'm leaning more to the PSVita side, but both of them need more love and care from the companies that created them. I hope Sony makes and effort to enchance the Vita and don't just go "Oh well, we fucked up, so let's just leave it like that and focus on the PS4".

I was seriously getting convinced that I should buy a Vita during the few seconds between being told that a bunch of PS1 titles were released for free and being told that the "bug" has been fixed.

I guess I should have recognised that that was too good to be true.

I skipped quite a few handheld generations, my last being a Gameboy Advance. But, I did buy a Vita and I love the crap out of the thing.

Except for the price of those memory cards. Those things were purely designed for greed.

A large part of the reason I got a Vita was to develop games on (for which Unity is now an option and that's hella sweet) but I feel like there's a lot of unused potential to it.

I love my PS Vita and do not regret buying it, but I agree wholeheartedly with the criticism that its game library and apps library do not live up to the hand-held console's potential. With all the flood of stuff that is available on iOS and Google Play, and mobile titles hitting Steam now, why can't they also exist for a system that is actually made for gaming?

And it should not just stop at PS One and PSP Games. The Vita is powerful enough to run PS2 Games! Give me Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 in the palm of my hands!

I bought Vita in January because I had too much disposable income and I REALLY wanted to play Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa. I thoroughly expected it to gather dust after that, but to my surprise, I actually fell in love with it. It's a great piece of hardware, and I was pleasantly surprised with some other titles on it (Tearaway retroactively got my personal 2013 GOTY award, just a lovely game).

That being said, I agree with you 100% on this one, Jim. When I noticed the PS One and PSP titles in the store I almost pissed myself from happiness, only to be let down just a few hours later. I really do hope Sony will pull their shit together at some point, because, when fully working, it could become one of the best consoles ever (not just portable). Here's hoping someone in Sony higher ups actually watch this show and takes notes. Probably not, but a man can dream...

Wait, hold up, there was a moment where I could get PS1 Crash and Spyro on my Vita? And I can't now because they "fixed" the glitch? Dammit. Fucking DAMMIT. DAMMIT! Sony, I want those games on the Vita. I will gladly pay real people money for these games. I'll go through your whack-ass system that doesn't allow me, a 22 year old man with my own money to buy stuff with my own debit card because I'm a sub account, and you don't give any way for master accounts to let sub accounts buy whatever/whenever because I guess you didn't take into account people grow up as time goes on in order to play these games on my Vita. Also Legend of Dragoon.

Just... god dammit, Sony.

eBusiness:
I was seriously getting convinced that I should buy a Vita during the few seconds between being told that a bunch of PS1 titles were released for free and being told that the "bug" has been fixed.

I know.
It's like the big ps4 announcement: I was all ready to preorder one (if only for their smart ass attitude towards ms)then they say you'll need to subscribe to plus to play online. So I'm taking a break from consoles.
But I don't know why anyone's surprised about the vita. The psp sold a bunch on un-kept promises. At least the psp was able to get the best franchises of the time: GTA, Burnout, Katamari. Though the latter didn't work well on the psp, it's the only one of those that's on the vita. It needs to show off it's power with some Original games from big franchises that people dig now.

And yes, the whole package is too expensive for something you carry around.

Holy Hell, the Vitae is still around?! I thought it had gone the way of the N-Gage...

The only games Sony can and should already have on PS Vita are games they developed and published themselves from the PS1, PS2 and PSP.

Any game from other developers and publishers can only be released at there discretion and some won't or even can't.

There are plenty of PS1 and PS2 games were the original creators went bankrupt and the current owners of the IP may not even be aware they do or worse they own the rights to an individual game but the characters of the game are owned by someone else.

People mention Crash Bandicoot and only Activision can do that and they probably will never do so as the time and money needed to port while will be profitable for them it will not be at such a level that they will care.

As an anime fan this is not unusual Macross is a perfect example as Harmony Gold owns anything to do with Macross in the USA even if they had no hand in it's creation because of poorly worded contracts from the 70's and 80's when no one really cared.

Oh man, the Vita with a solid stream of indie games and PS1/PS2 ports? That'd be the perfect handheld right now.

I've enjoyed some of the exclusive content and the media capabilities but Sony consistently drops the ball here.

Good job touching on that memory card crap too. The moment I bought a PSP memory card (five years after owning one) I also bought 4 or 5 games. Sony is directly missing out on sales with these shenanigans.

DirgeNovak:

Hutzpah Chicken:

They never owned him. Crash was Universal's property. Universal was sold to Vivendi, which was sold to Activision, the current owners who are doing fucking nothing with him.

Man, that is a damn shame.

I always wonder why Sony shoots their products in the foot and then wonders why they don't sell.

Also, yeah. If they dropped the price on memory cards, I would buy more Vita games and use my Vita more.

I think that the reason Sony is largely ignoring the vita, is because they think that the rise of mobile gaming is going to kill handhelds.

If they dropped the price on memory cards and put more effort into the whole porting business to the Vita, I'd go out and get a Vita. Shame that they haven't though, maybe Sony think the handheld market isn't worth putting much effort into now?

Darn it, Jim, don't get me all in nostalgia for my now gone PS1.

GonzoGamer:

eBusiness:

I know.
It's like the big ps4 announcement: I was all ready to preorder one (if only for their smart ass attitude towards ms)then they say you'll need to subscribe to plus to play online. So I'm taking a break from consoles.

Out of curiosity, what online games were you planning to play on PS4? Like, when I look at exciting games coming out for next-gen (which I will continue to call next gen at least until price cuts and libraries make them decent purchases) I just see single player on console, the new Infamous the new Final Fantasy the new Kingdom hearts, if you don't have a gaming PC than watch dogs and the yearly AC.

Not trying to sound insulting, I honestly just don't get what multiplayer games would be a deciding factor in a PS4 pre-order

Redd the Sock:
Glad someone here mentioned this. Sony seems to sabotage this thing pretty badly. Other than what you said, Content manager's less than stellar. They only recently upped the limit on apps on the front to more than 100 (perhaps because 20 are now mandatory and can't be removed).

This really bugs me. Why are Near, Friends and Party separate bubbles? Why are Welcome Park and Parental Controls even there? Thank god for folders.

Look Sony, if you're going to give up on the Vita, do it. Don't let it flail around in this awful state.

Ha Ha HA ... come on now guys ... do you really think Sony are idiots? Do you really think they will be retarded enough to put the library of the old PS and PS2 and PSP games on the fucking Vita? Grow up boys and girls: Backwards compatibility=less business for new games=less profit for the new console. That is how the minds of Sony and Microsoft work right now. So kiss the chance of seeing all those old and good games goodbye, they can't have old gold selling at discounted price steal the sales from the new shit coming out. (I'm not saying that evey new game released is shit, I'm just saying old one are proven good by time while the new ones are just sequels and rip-offs of the old with only the ocasional original ideea)

Be honest with me: IF you had 60 dolars and had to chose between buying ... let's say FF15 on the new console, or shell out 40 dolars for FF7 on the handheld: which one would you buy? Because I would buy the one I know is good and i enjoyed and let the whateverthefuck experiments of Squeenix gather dust until reviews and a discount. From a bussiness standpoint backwards compatibility is bad business. I mean if they released the PS4 and said you could put in and play all your PS, PS2 and PS3 disks, the number of people actualy buying the new games that come out would be pitifull compares to people buying discounted old games from the old generations that maybe they didn't get the first time. And don't say it would boost sales. You don't understand basic math. People would rush and buy old games that they must sell at lower prices like 40 dolars instead of buying the new ones that cost 60. It's just common sense to buy the proven good cheaper one versus the more expensive new one, at least if you are not the kind of guy with 0 financial smartness or the kind of guy with so much money he can buy an army of slaves to tend to his every need. And for every potential sale they loose 20 dolars and that adds up.

"Oh but they would make it back with selling console units" ... perhaps. My view is anyone who wanted a PS4 got a PS4 anyway, backwards compatible be damned. Maybe they could have swayed a few more MS fanboys to the new console, but even then those guys would mainly buy old PS games to make up for the library they are abandoning. So in the end they would still be making less cash than they would in a world without backwards compatibility. And Jim allready taught us what these blind greedy idiots want: ALL THE MONEY NOW!

I will grant one thing: backwards compatibility would force new games to go on sale sooner to avoid the situation described above and that would be good, and in the long run backwards compatibility and releasing old libraries on new systems would make the industry a better place and bring more cash in the long run. But these fuckers don't care about the long run. They care about how many digits the number meaning profit has at the end of each day and how they can make that number have eveb more digits by any means.

TL;DR: Let it go, it ain't hapening.

Goddamn it, I play mobile games on my phone and I'd gladly shell out cash for a Vita to have a proper Handheld Gaming Systems with proper gaming controls to play good games on, if only Sony didn't do all the things that Jim is criticizing in this video.

FFS, Sony!

Sony i want to buy crisis core on my vita i want to buy parasite eve on my vita, the money your money is just sitting there. Do you want this money sony ?

-sigh- Vita...

It's as if Sony puts up a poor act of being a smaller company when they find it convenient; "Sorry, we can't give you enough memory for a games library heavily incentivised to digital copies. Also sorry we can't allow the cross-system functionality we tout for the system in the first place."

"No no, not even if you pay us more money, we can't do it! We just can't handle your demand, customers!"

...Separate thought, I'll go buy Child of Light on my 'dying' Wii U for reminding me of this bullcrap.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here