Trailers: Destiny Gameplay Trailer - "The Devils' Lair"

Destiny Gameplay Trailer - "The Devils' Lair"

An elite team of adventurers dive deep into a region known only as The Devil's Lair...

Watch Video

Am I the only one getting a Borderlands vibe from this?

The Gentleman:

No, it is pretty much Boarderlands if made by someone good, I kid, I really liked BL2.
There are some major differences like story and other stuff like that but mechanic there are some interesting difference. First, is that there is no random loots generator, every gun is hand crafted by a designer. Also each person has there own loot streams. I might get a new shotgun but you might get a new sniper and apparently it is not randomly given to you. An old video shows an orb dropped by an enemy. Once one person picks it up then everyone there gets their own loot and the game is kinda a MMO-ish? Maybe? Basically like BL, but made by Bungie.

The Gentleman:

Yup, thinking the same. And like Borderlands, I guarantee the multiplayer focus will kill a lot of story potential in the game, and make the gameplay feel empty.

I still don't quite know how I feel about Destiny. I am definitely interested in it, but none of the gameplay trailers really jump out at me from a pure gameplay perspective. Is it supposed to be more of an MMO? Is it more like Borderlands? How much content will there actually be? Is it all about exploration or is it a series of 'missions'.

We have some general story and class information, but not much else. The number of higher profile people leaving Bungie(for one reason or another) makes me even more skeptical about Destiny as a whole. I'm willing to jump on the hype train but we still have gotten what feels like no tangible information.

It doesn't look like the type of game I'm going to be clawing at the front door of Gamestop for, but will I have fun with it? I have little doubt.

Honestly, the oversized view models and low FOV turned me of from wanting this game. Looks like generic FPS number X anyway, I fail to see why people like this.

How does this look even remotely interesting? In terms of graphics and visual design it feels like a step backwards, aesthetics are dull, color palette completely uninspired, gameplay looks monumentally standard, yadda yadda. Even Halo, which I'm not a huge fan of, has boatloads more charm than this (which is ironic, given the developer in question). For crying out loud, even the skyboxes look terrible in this thing, which is kinda the only thing most shooters do really well anymore. Why would anyone hold their breath for Destiny?

0takuMetalhead:
Honestly, the oversized view models and low FOV turned me of from wanting this game. Looks like generic FPS number X anyway, I fail to see why people like this.

Because it's generic FPS number X painted in different colours. Apparently for most people that counts as being new, exciting and different. Doesn't matter that it's the same old crap that's been done before, it looks different thus it must be.

Same deal as Titanfail, all the hype in the world, and it's dominance lasted what, a month?

Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't see the appeal of Destiny. I'll be sticking to Borderlands myself.

mirage202:

0takuMetalhead:

Because it's generic FPS number X painted in different colours. Apparently for most people that counts as being new, exciting and different. Doesn't matter that it's the same old crap that's been done before, it looks different thus it must be.

Same deal as Titanfail, all the hype in the world, and it's dominance lasted what, a month?

Kinda sad isn't it? FPS games don't seem to be trying to have a identity of their own anymore.

I have no idea why anyone was (or is) interested in this game.

1) It lacks the inherent interest and charm of Borderlands
2) It lacks the entertainment or potential rush of a COD
3) It lacks the energy of a Titan Fall
4) It lacks the atmosphere of a Bioshock
5) It lacks any real focus / identity in the genre like a Battlefield

This game just looks completely generic. I see absolutely no reason why I should be more hyped about this than any generic 'meh' shooter that came out in the last 10 years. Hopefully it's at least fun to actually play...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here