The Pull of Dark Souls II

Pages 1 2 NEXT

In the next game, the enemies will stand back-to-back holding knives.

I laughed. Hard. At the Magna-Sword in particular. Can't say I've played DSII, but my friends that have certainly complain about issues that could only be explained by the enemies having magnetized swords. And I can semi-relate with other games that I've played that have similar combat "issues". Yay!

In all of the hours I have played Dark Souls 2, I am yet to kill one of those. I haven't even tried. With the exception of games such as GTA where I play like a sociopath, I never attack passive characters in games.

I kind of felt sorry for them, sitting there all weary looking.

So. Freaking. True. And hilarious, haha! While I like that the enemies can actually follow you rather than stand around while you backstab them, I think they went a bit overboard with it.

Legion:
In all of the hours I have played Dark Souls 2, I am yet to kill one of those. I haven't even tried. With the exception of games such as GTA where I play like a sociopath, I never attack passive NPC's in games.

Oh, don't worry, he's all Hollowed out and not an NPC. Plus, they drop some unique swords that come with lightning damage.

This is why you learn to parry. You smack that bastard in the face with a shield, and go stabby-stabby.

Well, obviously, Erin sucks at the game. l2playnoob!

Damn casuals!

...Where's that comic about such jargon?

I think it's better in DS2, but that isn't ideal either. They've fixed the symptom (circle strafing being too easy) without touching the root of the problem, which is the fact that the AI can't handle strafing. It's similar to NPC arrows being homing because they couldn't bother making the AI good with bows. Enemies should use special attacks against circle strafers, just like they use a shield bash against shield users.

Hahaha!

Well, I just ran from him and threw knives until he was dead. I'm a noob at that game, but whatever works right :)

Fdzzaigl:
Hahaha!

Well, I just ran from him and threw knives until he was dead. I'm a noob at that game, but whatever works right :)

There have been way cheaper tactics in the original. ;)

Ha, that's awesome! You've perfectly summed up my only real complaint with the game. I don't mind enemies being harder to backstab, but I would rather they found a smarter solution than enemies spinning 180 instantly and smacking me. Totally breaks the immersion and it's kind of bullshit. The turtle knights jump backwards to try and flatten you, do more stuff like that.

Congratulations, guys. This is the first comic that's made me really lose it with laughter since Calvin & Hobbes. Really funny.

Every iteration of Souls games they try to counter the cheesiest strategies from the last one. In Demon's Souls pretty much every boss could be killed from across the continent if you packed enough arrows and could find that one magic sniper spot. Having solved that (by making virtually every boss jump you the second you touch the fog) they moved on to circle-strafers, PvP lagstabbers, and obsessive grinders. At this point the only decent way to cheese a boss is with jolly co-operation.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Why wait for the next game?

OT: I don't know... there are some enemies that turn quickly, but I still find that lots of them fall prey to circle strafing easily enough. For those that don't, I have a shield.

Branindain:
Congratulations, guys. This is the first comic that's made me really lose it with laughter since Calvin & Hobbes. Really funny.

Every iteration of Souls games they try to counter the cheesiest strategies from the last one. In Demon's Souls pretty much every boss could be killed from across the continent if you packed enough arrows and could find that one magic sniper spot. Having solved that (by making virtually every boss jump you the second you touch the fog) they moved on to circle-strafers, PvP lagstabbers, and obsessive grinders. At this point the only decent way to cheese a boss is with jolly co-operation.

Coming soon to Dark Souls 3: mid-boss turncoat invasion mode(brought to you by CCP).

Legion:
In all of the hours I have played Dark Souls 2, I am yet to kill one of those. I haven't even tried. With the exception of games such as GTA where I play like a sociopath, I never attack passive characters in games.

Yeah, the first Knight I've found immediately reminded me of Solaire[1], so I went to Majula to buy the ring that lets you hear enemy voices. Sadly, that Knight was just as hollow as every other enemy around.

Edit:

Scars Unseen:
Coming soon to Dark Souls 3: mid-boss turncoat invasion mode(brought to you by CCP).

Which reminds me, I have yet to be invaded at all. 14hrs played and no invasion at all? I mean, I burned a human effigy once, but that was by accident in Things Betwixt, when I was trying to reverse my hollowing for the first time.

[1] Praise the Sun!

RJ 17:
I laughed. Hard. At the Magna-Sword in particular. Can't say I've played DSII, but my friends that have certainly complain about issues that could only be explained by the enemies having magnetized swords. And I can semi-relate with other games that I've played that have similar combat "issues". Yay!

Same here, the tracking on a LOT of the vertical attacks by enemies is near 1:1. Hell I've seen magic orbs do a literal 180 degree turn and go around CORNERS to track you. The enemy tracking in the game(along with some hitboxes being WAY larger than the enemies weapon/attack animation would suggest) make the game feel cheap at times. Overall I'm finding Dark Souls II being hard but cheap so far. It's fun, that's for damn sure but it is definitely cheap at times.

Scars Unseen:

Thunderous Cacophony:

Why wait for the next game?

OT: I don't know... there are some enemies that turn quickly, but I still find that lots of them fall prey to circle strafing easily enough. For those that don't, I have a shield.

Oh God I forgot about that guy, HOO!

Church185:
Ha, that's awesome! You've perfectly summed up my only real complaint with the game. I don't mind enemies being harder to backstab, but I would rather they found a smarter solution than enemies spinning 180 instantly and smacking me. Totally breaks the immersion and it's kind of bullshit. The turtle knights jump backwards to try and flatten you, do more stuff like that.

The Old Ironguards also have a very high degree of tracking in their vertical attacks so your best real bet is ducking in after they pull off their Left Swing or Vertical Chop. Watch out for the Right Swing, it's a four hit horizontal combo usually.

Odd, I didn't have any trouble with that guy. Then again, I never played Dark Souls 1, so I'm guessing the way I play is different from someone who would have had tons of hours in Dark Souls 1. That said, yea the enemies can spin around pretty fast.

Legion:

Yeah, that's a good old trademark Dark Souls "You're a dick" moment. At least in the previous games you could rationalize that the tragic figures you had to kill attacked you first, though YMMV on how effective that was. This guy? He was just minding his own business when I killed him. Really I couldn't even get that worked up when he killed me a lot the first few times, I just thought "well...I did kinda have it coming."

I admit I never understood why people complain about enemy tracking in Dark Souls 2, as turning 180 around quickly, for example, is just a matter of switching your leading foot to the other leg, by shifting your heels position, rest of the body will follow, which include swing already in motion.

Shifting your foot is like one of the most basic part of martial art training, unless your in a discipline that focus on grappling, in which case the most basic training is learning to fall.

Someone needs to make a youtube playthrough where the enemies are dubbed to talk like that.

otakon17:
The Old Ironguards also have a very high degree of tracking in their vertical attacks so your best real bet is ducking in after they pull off their Left Swing or Vertical Chop. Watch out for the Right Swing, it's a four hit horizontal combo usually.

I usually just bait, roll, poke them to death. If you have any kind of ranged attack when fighting they are laughably easy to kill.

I think the dialogue here makes me glad that enemies are mostly silent in the Souls games ...

iniudan:
I admit I never understood why people complain about enemy tracking in Dark Souls 2, as turning 180 around quickly, for example, is just a matter of switching your leading foot to the other leg, by shifting your heels position, rest of the body will follow, which include swing already in motion.

Shifting your foot is like one of the most basic part of martial art training, unless your in a discipline that focus on grappling, in which case the most basic training is learning to fall.

Yeah. I remember using this all the time in the first Dark Souls. When I got invaded, I'd stand with my back facing wherever the invader was coming, but I'd rotate the camera so I could still see him. When he moved in for a backstab, I'd simply attack and because the camera was facing behind me, that's where I'd end up striking.

Scars Unseen:
Coming soon to Dark Souls 3: mid-boss turncoat invasion mode (brought to you by CCP).

This brought a happy tear to my eye, remembering how my corp used to do almost exactly this to people running incursions, thanks to formerly *fun criminal flagging mechanics and people fielding a fleet full of pimped out shinies relying on 3 or more random people from local flying not-terribly-expensive logistics ships. Mid fight, their guardians would **magically disappear and they'd be massacred by smart NPCs. :) The good old days.

*fun for the people who knew how it worked, and thanks to CCP's "whatever goes, if not we'll hotfix it" attitude, they ruled in our favor that it wasn't an exploit, but changed the mechanics later. I think their reasoning was creating a sandbox where anything goes with a "trust nobody" premise, and then introducing something that made crazy money but required relying on random other players. We solved this riddle with wanton destruction.

**Magically as in we had a plant in their group that was flagged to our shooters, who waited at the gate, and as soon as their guardians linked up to provide capacitor cycles to each other and start repping people, the whole group was flagged to our shooters for assisting "the criminal" who immediately disengaged and warped off just as we landed and the shooting started. This was one of the earlier methods, until we figured out that we could just look for people with really expensive ships looking for a fleet to run incursions with in local chat, invite them to the group (who were actually all fit for fighting at point-blank range), have our guardians link up, ask them to start assisting the guardians with ECCM cycles or whatever, then just insta-fry them as they were flagged to us. Trust nobody, pubbies. Expensive lesson.

...okay, I'm finished reminiscing. But this does remind me of things that Dark Souls III will probably allow, lol.

iniudan:

No, they literally LITERALLY turn in place like on a top, their arms still raised for 30 seconds at a time to track you.

That Heide Knight has some insane, Matrix-style lightning reflexes. I wish I were kidding. The only enemy I hate more is the Archdrake Cleric.

One thing Dark Souls II does encourage is dodging reactively rather than proactively. In the first game you could dodge while the enemy is telegraphing their attack and your invincibility frames would carry you through it. I've found that that strategy just gets your face caved in this time around.

Circle Strafing still DOES work for the most part. You have to literally SHOVE you're body against them and strafe, ive noticed it somehow borks the A.I into allowing you to strafe them easily.

That third panel is a thing of beauty

-M

Yeah, the tracking in this game is pretty amazing... It makes things interesting. The attacks are still telegraphed, but the dodge windows are much shorter...

Hahahahaha!! Okay, this is my favorite Critical Miss comic yet.

It is also very accurate. In Dark Souls 1, either the Silver Knights in Anar Londo or Black Knights in general weren't prepared for backstabs. They would seem defenseless as you side stepped and got them in one hit.

But in Dark Souls 2... oh good luck. Heide Knights (those white knights who are totally chilling) aren't normal AI's. They purposely make you feel like you can try to get a backstab, only to suddenly dash forward and slice you up. Not only is it harder to backstab them, but also doing backstabs period is a bit trickier (thank god).

Heide Knights are hardcore overall. Their style is always new throughout the game because not one carries the same weapon as the previous one. So you have to learn their moveset all over again.

Great comic, I got a huge kick out of it :)!!

The Middle two panels were hilarious, but what was the meaning of the sword with the magnet on it?

otakon17:

iniudan:

No, they literally LITERALLY turn in place like on a top, their arms still raised for 30 seconds at a time to track you.

That called limited animation, for example when you yield a weapon 2 handed weapon left handed, you character doesn't actually put their left foot forward like they should.

If they had proper animation (which is a bit hard considering the number of unwieldy weapon for a human in the game) you would see some proper body movement with those turning on the spot, which are easily feasible in real life.

As for keeping weapon raised for 30 second in the air, that nothing for someone trained, it actually a pretty basic offensive stance in real life. It just that it might seem impossible in Dark Souls due to the exaggerated nature of most weapon. Now as for why player cannot hold a stance, I got no idea.

Welp, this launched my sides into orbit.

It's fun to know From fixed the whole circle strafe issue... but goddamn i'd be lying if I didn't say they didn't go overboard with certain enemies' tracking.
Especially these skanks late game...

They're like projectile Heide Knights by the dozens.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here