Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Annoying Princesses

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Annoying Princesses

Lisa wishes all these princesses were in a different castle...

Watch Video

"HI I'M DAISY!!"- Mario Kart Double Dash. This was the butt end of many jokes between me and my friends throughout Middle School and into High School. So naturally I am quite fond of Daisy purely for the stupid enjoyment of the stupid voice.

<_<
>_>

Well excuuuuuuuuse me princess!

Good list, man those are some annoying characters, and I usually enjoy the overly chipper genki-girl type.

Slash Joel:
"HI I'M DAISY!!"- Mario Kart Double Dash. This was the butt end of many jokes between me and my friends throughout Middle School and into High School. So naturally I am quite fond of Daisy purely for the stupid enjoyment of the stupid voice.

Hah I used to annoy people with her! Donkey Kong's been my go to guy since the original on the SNES, and since Double Dash you pick two characters I figured I'd capture a princess and Daisy's colours were just made to go with the monkey wagon.

Also, what the heck was that video from with super annoying and clumsy Yuffie?

Ummm...about Disgaea 2

RandV80:
Also, what the heck was that video from with super annoying and clumsy Yuffie?

Dirge of Cerberus I believe, it's been a while.

I actually like Yuffie and Rikku before someone brings her up too. Though I can understand why Lisa would not like ether of them, they are both very male aimed comic relief characters.

Yuffie is annoying but from the FF series Vanille from FF XIII takes the cake imo. She is not a princess tho.

What about Zelda? I know she's popular, but come on! She's one of the worst out there

Shining Force II!! So many memories and yes, I agree the princess' presence there was a complete waste of time. Likewise, for my siblings and I, Daisy over time has gone from being "the capable alternative to Peach" to "the equally annoying alt-skin of Peach".

Ugh. Need better princesses.

I'd like to add Bastila from kotor, i know she's not a princess but she sure acts like one :\

Off topic, but why no more Top 5 on the escapist's youtube page?

Er, nice video and all, but now I desperately want to see that Miyamoto's Angels or whatever it was called that she showed the clip of at the beginning.

I didn't know Yuffie was supposed to be a Princess.

Lazule:
Yuffie is annoying but from the FF series Vanille from FF XIII takes the cake imo. She is not a princess tho.

That Yuffie sure is a spaz, but she's got nothing on Vanille, or as Yahtzee dubbed her, Kooky Spice. Whose kookiness was approaching some kind of kook singularity.

Soooo, where`s a link to that video with Lisa as Peach?

Silentpony:
What about Zelda? I know she's popular, but come on! She's one of the worst out there

The thing is that Zelda changes during each Zelda title. Sure, she has similar traits in every game, but she never stay constantly annoying like the ones mentioned on Lisa's list. While she's often the "damsel of distress", she often contributes by taking a guiding or supporting role to Link. If we're going to qualify Zelda as "annoying", it depends on how we use the term.

If we use it as saying " If she's so damn wise, smart and has strong magical skills in each title, why is she always captured and can never truly escape on her own", she's annoying in a meta-gaming-kinda-definition . That, and it's also annoying for a feminist point of view. (Meaning the advancement of the cause of women in order to seek gender equality. Not the ill-conceived notion of the Internet that feminism is "We hate men" that's actually what we would define "misandrists")

In short, she can be annoying for what we perceive about her character as a whole and mostly on how she never was modernized.

If we use Lisa's definition of "She's there to look pretty and she can either contributes nothing to the plot or seem like a general nuisance", your question of "what about Zelda?" doesn't really apply unless there's a specific trait that annoyed you. I wouldn't define Zelda annoying as Navi who's basically a calendar planner on your cellphone that beeps 67 times a day to remind you one thing.

Note* That last metaphor is based on personal experiences with my cellphone.
2nd Note* I felt a bit like analyzing today. I hoped that I didn't annoy you and made you say "GET TO THE POINT".

Of the list, I agree Elis was worthless. The Hero never has much contact with her...yet he is somehow in love with her...Not the elf girl who's been carrying a torch for him all game(and known him his whole life.) and actually is competent Sarah (which can become an awesome mastermonk.) or the total badass Sheela who is out avenging her dead boyfriend, and trained herself to be a weapon as a mastermonk. No, we're going with the girl who's literally been sleeping the whole game. Princess Anri at least got stuff done in the first game.(and was a capable character in battle outside of the time she was capture in the Gaiden games.)

If she wasn't so useless and dumb

Say what you will about Daisy, But there was that one time she slapped Bowser so hard he team rocketed into space. Which pretty much cements her as best Video game princess ever.

Pure red-headed Badassery right there

Also, I would have totally added Anora from Dragon Age: Origins. What a bitch

That princess from the Sonic game gives me chills to this day.

.... I, I don't even know what they were thinking. I mean, humans in the Sonic world is already canon but a creepy vibe of Sonic hitting it up with a young teenage girl? ... Fuii-- eehw....

Tell me that Elise and Sonic aren't just .... wrong ....

Look at that. She's happy about being carried... and rescued... *super awkward*
Worst princess in my book. At least Peach isn't all into Bowser ... at least on screen of course.

Did Tatanga just destroy all of Sarasaland, effectively freeing Daisy's schedule and allowing her to just bum around the Mushroom kingdom playing tennis and racing Go Karts?

canadamus_prime:
I didn't know Yuffie was supposed to be a Princess.

That was my thought too, but then I remembered something. Yuffie is the daughter of the village chief, and therefore is set to take over as head ninja one day. That can technically make her a princess, although I don't think her village uses those types of titles.
Plus, Lisa said she wasn't even sure if Yuffie qualified as a princess, so no harm done in my opinion. :-)

Loved that line at the end. "So...let's hate on Daisy instead." Poor Daisy. Girl gets no love.

Thanks for picking a somewhat interesting theme. I rarely watch these because the topics are too specific and require reaches. /opinion

*edit* Also, that Sonic stuff is creepy.

I thought redheads and pink dresses didn't mix well - According to every girl who's seen The Little Mermaid.

Grandia 2 comes to mind for annoying princess types (no actual princesses), though I remember them both getting better as the story progressed. Let's be honest though, every needy, spoiled, whining person in games comes off as truly horrible and not worthwhile at all.

..I just remembered my least favourite character: Rinoa from FFVIII. I don't know if it's the insecurity or the random occasional bratty attitude, but she got on my nerves. Probably because she actually reminded me of a real person and not a manic pixie speed addict.

Nothing western here at all, is there? Not that I'm criticising. Perhaps my memory is lapsing but I don't think we really `do` princesses.

Anora from DA:O was an annoyance, but she was also a Queen I think.

Huh, never played any of those games. Kinda glad no princesses from my games ended up here. Then again, I can only think of one princess from games I play, and that's Zelda. She's not annoying in any of them.

Also Lisa, that dress is awesome on you.

Rituro:
Shining Force II!! So many memories and yes, I agree the princess' presence there was a complete waste of time. Likewise, for my siblings and I, Daisy over time has gone from being "the capable alternative to Peach" to "the equally annoying alt-skin of Peach".

Ugh. Need better princesses.

lastjustice:
Of the list, I agree Elis was worthless. The Hero never has much contact with her...yet he is somehow in love with her...Not the elf girl who's been carrying a torch for him all game(and known him his whole life.) and actually is competent Sarah (which can become an awesome mastermonk.) or the total badass Sheela who is out avenging her dead boyfriend, and trained herself to be a weapon as a mastermonk. No, we're going with the girl who's literally been sleeping the whole game. Princess Anri at least got stuff done in the first game.(and was a capable character in battle outside of the time she was capture in the Gaiden games.)

If she wasn't so useless and dumb

People who've played Shining Force I and II

Those were my "baby's first strategy RPGS" I love them to this day! I'm surprised Lisa even mentioned it, was a welcome surprise. I think I know what I'm going to do now never finished SF II (I'm so glad they included the entire Shining series on the Genesis collection)

OT: Your number one this week is pretty weak. You really were fishing for reasons to put her on the list. After being so obscure you couldn't find any other princesses that grated?

Clearly you're madly in love with Luigi, and you're out to get rid of the competition.

Hahaha a "Massive **** you sword." I loved that part.

Yeah, I played the demo of this game. It's on my get list *Mutters about lack of funds*. I'm recommending it to friends. I'm recommending it to people that read this post. It's one of the most charming games I've come across, and I can't wait to explore the game further.

Not terribly familiar with most of the princesses on this list, if at all, though.

Yuffie, vaguely Daisy, uhm. Sorry, I got distracted giggling about the "Massive **** you sword" comment, and Lisa's time as a princess.

Also I need to track down that vid of Lisa as a princess so I can see it in it's entirety.

JimB:
Er, nice video and all, but now I desperately want to see that Miyamoto's Angels or whatever it was called that she showed the clip of at the beginning.

RTR:
Soooo, where`s a link to that video with Lisa as Peach?

I present to you, Miyamoto's Angels.

Princess Peach was a badass in the comics.

With the exception of the top two slots, I'm not familiar with the other princesses. However, I'll add this. I hate Elise from Sonic '06. I hate her with a passion. She is my #1 most annoying character ever and I don't think I hate any other character more than her. I'm not a fan of the overly soft-spoken female character in the first place, and the fact that she is completely useless makes me hate her more. In the game, she gets captured multiple times by Eggman because she just... stands around. She doesn't try to take care of herself at all, even though she's supposedly really friggin important. There are multiple scenes where she's standing in the room with Eggman. She's not bound to a chair or anything. Just completely compliant even with his back turned to her. Just EEERRRGGGH!! And don't even get me started on that stupid love thing. Whatever the heck it was, it was creepy. I don't really have anything against Daisy since my exposure to her is very limited, so Elise would've been plastered at the number 1 spot on my list.

Totally agree about the voice on the last one. I can't stand high-pitched voices like that. I have no idea why anyone lets them through the casting process.

Oh, and no, I haven't played any games with her in them, just listening to the audio of the clip used in the video is enough.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that can't understand why cutsey girl characters have to have shrieking voices of such a pitch that they're almost completely unnatural. There's been many an anime that I've quit because of grating dog whistle voices screaming "Big Brother!" over and over again.

And I'm also really glad Elise was on this list. I can't get that kiss scene out of my memory.

I'm sorry, what was that about Rozalin?
Someone trying to start a fist fight with a gun wielding master?
Just kidding~ Opinions are opinions after all
She does start out kinda bratty, but that tends to be part of what character growth is about
That said, I wouldn't have raged at all if you'd used Laharl-tan (The Female Larharl from Disgaea D2)~
I dunno, I guess I woulda just have found it funnier

Princess Elise pretty much sweeps the Horrible Game Character Awards started by Yahtzee, taking "Most Obviously Crowbarred In Love Interest," "Most Irritating," "Least Useful to Gameplay," "Least Necessary to Plot," and "Lifetime Achievement."

Yeah, I just ripped off a Zero Punctuation skit, but I can't think of a better way to say how awful she is.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here