Zero Punctuation: South Park: The Stick of Truth - Yes, There Really Were Crying Koalas

Pages 1 2 NEXT

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Yes, There Really Were Crying Koalas

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Watch Video

Fans of the show will like it, and I do expect to like it as well. Jim Sterling did summarise it as a twelve hour South Park episode after all.

But I'm glad to have had this review, and even more glad to see the South Park characters make it into the template Zero Punctuation characters.

Edit: I do hope the game gives the impression of Matt and Trey liking video games, because the three parter Xbox One/PS4/Game of Thrones thing ended in "Fuck video games and go outside, with a surely hilarious ironic joke for this game".

I had fun with Stick of Truth. But I've been a fan of the show since it launched, so it's to be expected I'd say so.

Still, enjoyed the review. Thanks Yahtzee.

I watched Kathleen from LRR play it on her stream on YouTube (Kathleen Saves the World). It was amusing, I suppose. I know she found the Canadian parts pretty spot on. I did find some parts of it funny, but the rest was just... eh. I suppose, since I never watched the show, I was not in the target market for the game, either.

...Did I see a reference to the Enigma of Amigara Fault in there?

Soooooooooooo.......

It'll get a tiresome as the show did during it's second series?
all the same gags as the first series... none of the quaint charm of the first?

Thanks for the warning Yahtzee!

If Trey Parker and Matt Stone are working on video games in some rudimentary sense, then I want to see Baseketball 2K15.

have been watching the show since day 1.
was thinking of getting this game but im not a fan of turned based combat.

Enigma of Amigara Fault reference FUCK YES! (EDIT: Dammit, beaten to it.)

Also, Re: Creators successfully transitioning to another medium, do note that Parker and Stone did manage to turn a twenty-odd-minute construction-paper cartoon about anal-probing aliens into an eighty-minute long feature film (a musical film to boot, that skewers Disney, Les Miserables and takes on the issue of censorship of the media) and then went on to co-create the award-winning Broadway musical The Book of Mormon. I'd say that they've proven that they can transition quite well (though admittedly, they did actually start out their creative partnership with a musical feature film, Cannibal! The Musical).

I had fun with this game.

I would however, I think, have liked it more if it stuck to the whole fantasy LARP thing. It was a really interesting style of storytelling for me, and whenever the aliens and zombies were a thing I just rushed through it hoping for more LARP fun.

Admittedly, I don't watch the show often - just for the odd episode I like - but I do want to give the game a try at some point... even if aspects of it turn me off a bit... but then this is South Park, a series known for being rather messed-up...

Hmmm. Strange episode but then it was foreshadowed by Yahtzee himself.

As for the game. I really quite enjoyed it. It really did feel like I was playing a really long episode of Southpark and it did genuinely make me laugh in places. I also thought some of the jokes they incorporated which would only work in a video game, were pretty damn funny/clever.

I must say that I too had stopped watching the show and again like Yahtzee it wasn't because I was miffed at it or anything. Just lost interest, but that didn't stop me from playing through the game once and enjoying it.
I felt it was just long enough but it's not a game I can see myself going back to.
Oh, and whilst I do agree that the series did ride the 'Taboo Horse' to death, I feel like there were some taboos that were a first for actual video games. Well from the ones I have experienced anyway.

Metalrocks:
was thinking of getting this game but im not a fan of turned based combat.

I'm not really either but I feel they made it fun enough. There's some QTE (sounds worse than it is) type stuff which means it's not all just 'click-click. Watch things happen'. It makes you stay on your toes and rewards good timing like with the special attacks and blocking/parrying.

Yo Yahtzee this games been out longer than most of the recent titles you've reviewed com-

*Yahtzee covers that exact point in the video*

Oh well then, hmmmm carry on.

OT: Interesting review, was a bit more refreshing than your usual ones due to the nature of the IP and had a blast with your "typical reviewer" persona on a game that's so over the top and taking the piss, what's left to shit on.

I actually really liked this game. Its very solid and funny, if short and a little flat at some points. But I loved playing it and will probably replay it the not too distant future

Not having played Paper Mario, that description of gameplay features and combat mechanics actually made me think of Costume Quest instead, which - incidentally - reminded me of South Park when I played it, even though it was way less rude and violent, of course. But the overall atmosphere made me think of some of their old Halloween episodes.

The South Park parts of the game are spot on, but the gameplay is soooo boring. Just, mind-numbingly bad. Why do I have to keep fighting these things? Can't I just skip to the next clever bit of dialog? Please?

Uratoh:

Yes, yes you did. High five for obscure manga reference!

OT: I do like South Park still, though it's not aging particularly well, and I do own this game, I just still haven't been bothered to play it. Either I really have become that Spectator playing adult or residual South Park games have me secretly afraid.

My current favorite for game of the year. Amazing.

The game is less bioware and more paper mario. I'm sorry to hear about the over the top censors for the Australian version but after having to sit though some of that crap in the American version, I wish they had a censor option.

That was an enjoyable and fun game. All the stuff they censored was pointless as they showed nothing offensive, especially when you considered what one of the last levels were. Everyone should buy it.

This really is a hate it or love it game, for me I didn't find anything funny or offensive about the game. This is coming from someone who found the good wife, that awkward moment and bill maher funny. Perhaps it's an age thing, if you're older than 25 (mentally) you'll probably wouldn't find this game funny at all, but entertaining no less.

Silentpony:
I actually really liked this game. Its very solid and funny, if short and a little flat at some points. But I loved playing it and will probably replay it the not too distant future

Perhaps, Next Sunday A.D. ? XD

But yes, solid little Game, Excellent Episode of South Park. Nothing revolutionary, other than actually being a PERFECT representation of it's source material, which is all I wanted.

The Grim Ace:

Uratoh:

Well, obscure in the sense that it's been referenced and parodied enough times on the Internet to merit its own entry on Know Your Meme. Still, he gets points for working it into the video without making it into a sex joke.

I had fun with it. But I agree that it is way to easy to become over powered. I spent most of the game limiting what equipment I could use just so combat felt like an actual challenge. And in all honesty I kind of wish I would have played the censored version. One or two gross out jokes is fine and dandy, but honestly that's never been the best part of South Park for me. The best part is the Satire, and Gross out humor sort of just comes with the territory every once in awhile. But in the game it came just a little bit to often. It was a good game, but I don't think I'd ever play it again. Thank goodness I only borrowed it and didn't actually buy the thing.

As long as you're having fun with the game, that's all we can ask of you. I found the game fun and very funny, personally. Hell, I even had fun with the QTEs (since they are essential to the gameplay, a core mechanic and failure doesn't (usually) mean a game over), take that for what you will.

Also it's good when people from outside video games come and do a video game correctly. Trey and Matt have said that Ubisoft tried to get them to release parts that got cut out of the game back as DLC and they told them to shove it.

Massive respect there.

It's funny, when Yahtzee went into boring tasteful mode for a second, he reminded me why I don't care for most other video game reviewers. It's all just "Here is the game. Here is what the game is about. Here are the things you can do in the game. Good day."

*cough*escapist*cough*

Somewhat off topic but you think the episode You're Getting Old hits too close to home for Yahtzee? Because I think that's a proper analogy to his views on South Park in general.

Glad he likes Stick of Truth but I'm not getting where the Earthbound comparisons are coming from. The most offensive Earthbound ever got was sentient vomit and a few misc. toilet jokes. That's tame compared to what South Park does.

I actually recently made a topic on my thoughts for this game so I'll keep my post here brief.

It was a lot of fun, and indeed "fans of the show will like it".

Combat gets a bit repetitive and yeah, putting up status effects on your enemies is both incredibly easy and incredibly effective. Most combat can be over in just one or two turns when you've got someone bleeding, on fire, and grossed out (basically poisoned). Literally each tick of the DoT's can take off half their health. That said, the attacks were pretty fun, as a Fighter I never got tired of the roshambo attack which has you kick the target in the nuts, stunning them for 3 turns.

The story is about what you'd expect from South Park: silly nonsense sprinkled with satire and sarcasm. Stupid plot points that are specifically designed to be stupid for the sake of satire. And as with most episodes of South Park, events escalate rather quickly...day 1 goes by fairly normally, then something happens during the first night that cranks things up a notch in terms of being edgy. Day 2 gets pretty crazy, with an even crazier event taking place on the 2nd night. The 3rd (and final) day is when they go right on over the top with the abortion clinic and...well, lets just say you get to know Mr. Slave a lot better than you probably ever wanted to.

In Conclusion: I'd say unless you're a mega South Park fan, this one can sit comfortably in the "Rental Worthy" category.

Replay Value is, unfortunately, rather low unless you're a huge fan of the series and think that you'd be interested in just playing the game every now and then as though it were one of your favorite episodes that you enjoy watching every now and then. Unless your an achievement whore, there's no real reason to warrant a 2nd or 3rd playthrough. All the items/equipment are always in the same places for every playthrough so once you've played through it once you'll know where to go to get all your favorite gear.

As for the partners, Butters is by far the most useful/effective...and he's the first one that becomes available in the game. The rest aren't bad, really, they're just not as good as Butters.

In Conclusion: Unless you're a huge South Park fan, I'd say this game fits comfortably into the "Rental Worthy" category.

Steve the Pocket:

The Grim Ace:

Uratoh:

Well, obscure in the sense that it's been referenced and parodied enough times on the Internet to merit its own entry on Know Your Meme. Still, he gets points for working it into the video without making it into a sex joke.

Obscure more in the sense of, assuming he read Gyo, it's a niche of a niche to know. Then again, it's been so long since I've seen someone reference it, I forgot it was once a meme. So there's that.

LordTerminal:

Glad he likes Stick of Truth but I'm not getting where the Earthbound comparisons are coming from. The most offensive Earthbound ever got was sentient vomit and a few misc. toilet jokes. That's tame compared to what South Park does.

I actually remember Matt & Trey saying that Earthbound was a bit of an inspiration for Stick of Truth, since at the end of the day, even as your quest get more and more epic... you're still just a kid. In Earthbound, that shows up when you need to call home for being homesick.

Vulgarity is fair and well to point out in South Park but since he admits not really watching it, it does irk me when people just point that out and not the satire or social commentary. Granted I haven't played the game and also get the impression it lack much of that to yet I can always tell when many reviewers don't watch the show when it just sits on gross out humor and offensive content and nothing else about the franchise.

jdarksun:
The South Park parts of the game are spot on, but the gameplay is soooo boring. Just, mind-numbingly bad. Why do I have to keep fighting these things? Can't I just skip to the next clever bit of dialog? Please?

So you wanted to skip the game part and watch the episode bits? Hmm...if only they made a cartoon series based on the game. ;-)

Steve the Pocket:

The Grim Ace:

Uratoh:

It's actually the second video that reference Junji Ito's manga, the first Junji Ito reference(Also from the Enigma of Amigara Fault) he did was slightly more obscure:

http://youtu.be/BQqcFtvFtno?t=2m27s

Eeh, I'm on the fence with South Park. I think there are some clever satires when it can get past the whole shock value quota, but a lot of it gets so bogged down with gross-out humor that it's lost on me.

Chuckled at the Enigma of Amigara Fault bit. Long time since I've read that one.

Defeated Detective:

It's actually the second video that reference Junji Ito's manga, the first Junji Ito reference(Also from the Enigma of Amigara Fault) he did was slightly more obscure:

http://youtu.be/BQqcFtvFtno?t=2m27s

Hah, never would have connected that "DRR..."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook