Escapist News Now: Call of Duty "Blacksmith" Trailer On The Way

Call of Duty "Blacksmith" Trailer On The Way

It's NBA playoffs again and that means the debut of a new Call of Duty!

Watch Video

Yes, the series has been annual for quite some time now, but this is the first time it feels like the previous game just came out yesterday for me. That's probably has to do with the fact that they're still supporting it with multiplayer add-ons.

Say it with me everybody: 'This series should just go full multiplayer already!'

It depends on how they handle the story, but my hopes aren't exactly high for this game. Ghosts' single player left such a terrible taste in my mouth that I'm a bit leery of Call of Duty games that aren't made by Treyarch now. They at least have fun and go a little nuts with their games. Still, VICE is new, so I shall give them the benefit of the doubt for this game.

I was having serious MGS4 flashbacks during this video. War is a business, countries don't have armies, corporations do, etc...I suppose this is why fighting solely for money is not a good idea, because there are people out there who will betray you the moment they get a better offer. Of course, said people will prove they can't be trusted and probably won't be able to find jobs anymore, but still.

I wonder who we'll be playing as. The PMCs (see, there's that MGS4 stuff again), or an actual soldier who is fighting along side them, but then when they switch sides he now has to find a way to escape and survive and bring them down. Boy, I hope that's not it, because I just thought that up in under a minute.

Wow. Another game about an evil PMC. Just when I thought CoD couldn't get any more vapid and shallow (and cliche) with it's "stories," it manages to find a whole new barrel to scrape the bottom of for the next five or six years.

Well, to take a somewhat different tack here, I kind of hope that teaser image means we'll be playing a black protagonist. CoD has a bad track record of killing off anyone who isn't a white dude (not that they don't kill scads of white dude or protagonists) but of all the games that had a black character (CoD4, MW2, Blops, MW3, Ghosts) only MW2 had him survive and he wasn't the player character in any of them. That would be kind of cool. On the other hand the fact that you've seen his face might mean that he's Captain Doorkicker instead of the protagonist, so... (Treyarch shows the player character's faces, IW does not - I guess we'll see with VICE).

LysanderNemoinis:
Wow. Another game about an evil PMC. Just when I thought CoD couldn't get any more vapid and shallow (and cliche) with it's "stories," it manages to find a whole new barrel to scrape the bottom of for the next five or six years.

Well, it is an improvment of the typical Nazi/Russian/Commnist/Arab enemies the series has used in the past.

If this is, or is the beginning of, a Cyberpunk Call of Duty then I am so in.

War... war has changed.

Sniper Team 4:
It depends on how they handle the story, but my hopes aren't exactly high for this game. Ghosts' single player left such a terrible taste in my mouth that I'm a bit leery of Call of Duty games that aren't made by Treyarch now. They at least have fun and go a little nuts with their games. Still, VICE is new, so I shall give them the benefit of the doubt for this game.

I was having serious MGS4 flashbacks during this video. War is a business, countries don't have armies, corporations do, etc...I suppose this is why fighting solely for money is not a good idea, because there are people out there who will betray you the moment they get a better offer. Of course, said people will prove they can't be trusted and probably won't be able to find jobs anymore, but still.

I wonder who we'll be playing as. The PMCs (see, there's that MGS4 stuff again), or an actual soldier who is fighting along side them, but then when they switch sides he now has to find a way to escape and survive and bring them down. Boy, I hope that's not it, because I just thought that up in under a minute.

That's totally going to be the plot. Cause I mean where else could they go? Being regular military fighting a PMC is too bland (even for them). Same with just being a PMC soldier fighting a threat for another country. They certainly won't have you as a PMC soldier fighting US troops (cause CoD doesn't have the balls for that kind of move). Not to mention the series has always had the 'America! Fuck Yea!' attitude.

It'll boil down to either PMC vs. PMC (perhaps starting as a general threat from a given region but move to a rival PMC).

Or the whole US soldier working with a PMC group until they turn on him. Proving the color of money can't beat the colors red, white and blue.

I can't wait. It's interesting to think of what they come up with next.

Different story, same shit that's what I'll say. Unless they leave the decision making/planning to the players and give us dynamic gameplay and evolved from the railshooter it is, it'll be the same shit.

WanderingFool:

LysanderNemoinis:

Well, it is an improvment of the typical Nazi/Russian/Commnist/Arab enemies the series has used in the past.

So it's gone from cliched, hackneyed, redundant and racist to just cliched, hackneyed and redundant? :P

Truly this is the next gen innovation we've all been waiting for.

Didn't.... didn't Tom Clancy's HAWX already do this sort of story line? I get it, they didn't do the ground and pound portion which I wouldn't mind seeing them do from the point of view of GRAW, but, this isn't original, especially if they pull the whole, patriotism over money point of view story line.

I just saw the trailer.

DAAAAAYYUM!

It's like Elysium except not shit. I for one welcome another entry into this vaunted series. For real, that's not sarcasm. Unlike the people like Yahtzee, I'm quite thrilled to see Call of Duty go full future. Blops 2 was awesome, Ghosts I didn't play, but it looked alright.

Also, KEVIN SPACEY!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here