Escapist News Now: ZeniMax: John Carmack Stole Our Tech For Oculus VR

ZeniMax: John Carmack Stole Our Tech For Oculus VR

Bethesda's parent company, Zenimax has alleged that legendary developer John Carmack stole proprietary technology when he left the company to go work for Oculus VR.

Watch Video

"They're acting like Zenimax is a crazy nut asking for a handout."

Because they ARE. Where exactly is the abundance of evidence that Zenimax came up with any of the tech that the Oculus is using? I'm somehow very doubtful that it will ever materialize. There certainly wasn't any talk of Zenimax working on any sort of VR technology prior to this, at least not that I'm aware of, much less having tech that even remotely resembled that of the Oculus. Frankly, Zenimax can't even make a halfway decent MMO, so forgive me if I doubt their capacity for creating VR tech as sophisticated as the Oculus Rift.

Please do feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken and Zenimax actually had some sort of VR tech project in the works, but until I hear otherwise, this stinks of patent trolling.

Well, this would be a lot more believable if they said it....not over a year after he left and joined the team......

Question, anyone remember what company sued Mojang over the use of the word "Scrolls" in the title of their game that was actually ABOUT scrolls? And wasn't that just after Mojang became successful through sales of Minecraft and the sales figures - of 80 million iirc - got reported in the news?

Whereever there's money, there's scavengers and parasites. And "intellectual property" here is based on the assertion that anything you THINK OF becomes the property of the company you work for.

So this software that John Carmack is reported to have "stolen" had better be identifiable by the source code, or this is Zenimax trying - again - to scam money out of a company that has just made it big. Trolls indeed.

w00tage:
Question, anyone remember what company sued Mojang over the use of the word "Scrolls" in the title of their game that was actually ABOUT scrolls? And wasn't that just after Mojang became successful through sales of Minecraft and the sales figures - of 80 million iirc - got reported in the news?

Whereever there's money, there's scavengers and parasites. And "intellectual property" here is based on the assertion that anything you THINK OF becomes the property of the company you work for.

So this software that John Carmack is reported to have "stolen" had better be identifiable by the source code, or this is Zenimax trying - again - to scam money out of a company that has just made it big. Trolls indeed.

So much this ^^

Zenimax should be ashamed of themselves. If Carmack really made off with any tech they would have said something a hell of a lot sooner, not within weeks of a massive corporate buyout. Either that or they were waiting to see if the oculus made it big before making the accusation in order to receive a bigger monetary price.

Regardless, pretty despicable.

More like Carmak took his toys and went to a competent company than anything i guess. Oh and Zenimax IS a crazy nut asking for handouts. They are known for being pants on head retarded with their layers. If they can troll anyone they will even when they are clearly wrong.

Why does ENN always have an opinion? It should be called Escapist Editorials Now.

ayan_baqur:
Why does ENN always have an opinion? It should be called Escapist Editorials Now.

Why do we always have to be bound by conventions?

I personally don't want OR in my Fallout 4, but hey that's just me.

Also, wasn't Carmack the person that actually wrote the code and all that? If he decides to use that on the new studio that he is working on its his choice (it's his creation after all).

Carmack is not a person known to be bound by moral considerations if they get in the way of his interests.

That being said, I couldn't care less about Zenimax and its claims. They are a litigious company that only gets noticed every time they try to sue somebody over their need to protect their perceived rights from unknown threats in the future. Their legal department is a joke, and can rot in hell for all I care about...

In short Zenimax is simply claiming that because Carmack was an employee for both companies, they own the rights to the tech and information Carmack provided while an employee for both companies. Its a horse shit argument but that is what happens. Oculus will settle because Facebook settles with these kinds of bullshit claims, and Zenimax knows it.

i have suspected for a long time that one of the major factors in Carmack leaving id Software was the fact that Zenimax has actually been aggressively asserting ownership writes over all "Johns code" since they bought the company...and if anyone knows how John Carmack and thus id have viewed and treated their code up until Zenimax came along then you might have an idea just how much that might rankle John...

the guy is "an open source advocate" basically.

Zenemax wants to make money licensing id game engines.

they just lost the guy that writes the engines.

his head is full of stuff they might attempt to assert is "theirs".

but it's a highly fucking dubious and frankly fucking rank chain of events...

Sleekit:
i have suspected for a long time that one of the major factors in Carmack leaving id Software was the fact that Zenimax has actually been aggressively asserting ownership writes over all "Johns code" since they bought the company...and if anyone knows how John Carmack and thus id have viewed and treated their code up until Zenimax came along then you might have an idea just how much that might rankle John...

the guy is "an open source advocate" basically.

Zenemax wants to make money licensing id game engines.

they just lost the guy that writes the engines.

his head is full of stuff they might attempt to assert is "theirs".

but it's a highly fucking dubious and frankly fucking rank chain of events...

Id was always very liberal and mod friendly with their software which is nice. Still they didn't develop anything efficient since id tech 3.

ZeniMax are still being assholes though :D

To my knowledge, the VR stuff was something Carmack worked on in this "spare time".

He wrote some code for Doom 3 I think. He claims he didn't bring any of that code over to Oculus and that there is zero code from old id software at Oculus.

If ZeniMax wants to sue, they better start producing evidence (copyright infringement or patent infringement; the latter is highly unlikely since Carmark to my knowledge has never patented anything he has done).

No copyright/patent violation? No case.

So I'm kind of confused. Are they saying that he took like blueprints from zenimax and ran to Oculus with them? Because it sounds more like that he took the knowledge he learned from working with Zenimax to Oculus and they're upset... I am honestly confused.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here