Best Legitimately Funny Video Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Legitimately Funny Video Games

The Escapist shares a few of their favorite funny games.

Read Full Article

What about Incredible Crisis for the PS1? It was an assortment of mini-games that told the story of a crazy day in the life of a Japanese family. I remember it being pretty damn funny and over the top.

Stick of Truth had so many clever little funny touches. It had the big crass jokes too, but it was the things like Kenny's game mechanics that really made it for me

Armed and Dangerous. Shark Gun!

No Conker's Bad Fur Day? NO CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY!??

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?

But seriously guys... Conker's Bad Fur Day.

No Psychonauts?
One of the rare games to implement a useful second-person camera, and the most imaginative level design I've seen in years.

Where is Conker, Psychonauts, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango....

How about the Sam and Max series?

Groxnax:
How about the Sam and Max series?

Pretty much any Lucas Arts adventure game was made with a healthy sense of humour however Sam and Max was probably my favourite

I'll add No One Lives Forever to the list. Great game and it's hilarious as well.

Borderlands 2 wasn't funny. At least, not without the Remove-Anthony-Burch mod, which removes all of the bad jokes from the game. Turns it into a silent movie, but that's an improvement over dealing with all those lazily overused memes...

Piorn:
No Psychonauts?
One of the rare games to implement a useful second-person camera, and the most imaginative level design I've seen in years.

The paranoia level will seriously stay with me till I die. Such brilliance is very, very rare.

Definitely agree with most of these. Some truly funny games in that list.

Though, if we're going to list "...just about anything Blizzard made" then we may as well list "...just about anything Valve made."

Save for Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike, Valve infuses a certain level of humor into the core of all of their other key franchises - from Portal to Half-Life, from Left 4 Dead to Dota.

Same can (or could have been) be said of Rare's catalog.

Squilookle:
No Conker's Bad Fur Day? NO CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY!??

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?

CBFD is one of the first games that always springs to my mind when someone mentions comedy games. It's such a damn shame it didn't see better commercial success. It was a work of utter (crude) brilliance from Rare.

I'll also throw a nod of agreement to those mentioning Psychonauts.

Though I'm surprised no one's mentioned Time Splitters. Some very silly elements to that series as well.

T_ConX:
Borderlands 2 wasn't funny. At least, not without the Remove-Anthony-Burch mod, which removes all of the bad jokes from the game. Turns it into a silent movie, but that's an improvement over dealing with all those lazily overused memes...

I was unaware of this mod. I might have to look it up.

Maybe it'll allow me to final return to Borderlands 2 and play through more than the first few sections.

(I seriously just gave up on the game after I was doing a mission to help name an animal Bonerfart. If I was twelve I might've laughed and continued on, but...)

I get the feeling that the Memelands 2 suggestion only made it for the sake of someone's sex life.

I hope it was worth it.

While Monkey Island is one of LucasArts best of their humorous games, there are three I think deserve honorable mention for being the right balance of absurd and spontaneous.

"Maniac Mansion"
The tentacles, the mummy in the shower and nuclear reactor in the pool.

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
The news headlines Zak invents when he accomplishes certain things.

Sam and Max: Hit the Road
Max.
How can a bunny like that not induce hilarity?

I've always found Earthworm Jim to be bizarre enough to be funny.

What? No, The Bards Tale???? I mean, how can you have a list like this without it?!

Certain representatives of the adventure games genre are sorely missing.

Discworld, Space Quest, Edna & Harvey, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Simon the Sorcerer, Starship Titanic and Bureaucracy could easily be placed above any of those entries, including Monkey Island.

For me it's probably Portal 2 to be honest.

Monkey Island is also a good choice, a long with a lot of the old Lucas Arts adventure games.

I think the list would be less interesting if they'd shoved all the LucasArts games in there. My personal funny favourite is Grim Fandango, since most of the humor is more subtle and dry than the rest of the over-the-top games like Monkey Island or Sam & Max.

As I saw Fallout on the list, I nodded almost automatically in agreement, but on second thought, was the game really that funny? Or was it that when it chose to be, it delivered it so well that it remained memorable? I think it's the latter. Fallout was many things, all of them good.

I feel there is a very obvious miss: MDK.

Ben There, Dan That managed to successfully lampoon all the old classic Lucasfilm point and click games, which was no mean feat considering they already successfully lampooned themselves.

Also going to mention a few flash games in the vain hope that they'll become better known: You have to burn the rope, Johnny Rocketfingers, and Blocks With Letters On.

I miss Serious Sam on that list :(
You had Sam's oneliners, sometimes wacky secrets. BFE was a bit to much of a straight face though.

I would add the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 onto that list. The story is filled with so many laugh-out-loud moments (The mission with Javik before the party, or Grunt's Hangover-style adventures, anyone?) It doesn't take itself seriously and has a fun and hopeful atmosphere. It pays homage to the entire series, while also ripping into it. Speaking of which... I should go.

T_ConX:

I'm actually amazed it took 10 posts before someone felt they needed to share the golden "X wasn't funny" nugget.

I tried to play Deadly Premonition.

Didn't mind the (dated) look of the game, loved the opening monologue that introduces you to the main character...

Hated the controls. Terrible of me to be sure, but I just don't think I can get back into playing using the PS1/Early-PS2 styled controls most "horror" games used. At least, not in a period of a few days when I rented the game. I'll likely nab it when it's on the cheap on the PC (or PS3/360, since the PC version has some major issues from what I heard). I know I can get over the controls, it's just going to need some... time...

You didn't mention Stubbs the Zombie! Excellent and amusing game. The bards tale amused me when I was younger too.

What, no Jak & Daxter? or Sly Cooper? Or Ratchet & Clank? Or Hogs of War?

Not sure how to feel about this ...

I honestly think the first Borderlands is incredibly much funnier than Borderlands 2. It's got a subtlety and cleverness the sequel lacks. I think the second is a case of trying too hard. Just look at that fucking Smiling Jack; his quips about how rich he is and how much lolrandum but oh so evil stuff he can do with that money just makes me annoyed.

AkaDad:
I'll add No One Lives Forever to the list. Great game and it's hilarious as well.

That's a personal fave of mine. Would be nice to get some shooters like that again. With colour and humour.

I would say Giants: Citizen Kabuto was very funny too.

Goat Simulator: Seriously?

...anything made by Blizzard: Because Diablo is a laugh a minute.

Too much nonsensical pandering, and as others have stated, too many obvious omissions.

A weak list.

I find your lack of Conker Bad Fur Day and Citadel DLC disturbing ..

Could I add Postal 2?
I know it would probably be considered bad form to even mention it, but it does have a great amount of funny moments.

Postal 3 on the other hand....

No love for Octodad

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance was meant to be funny, right? Cos that was hilarious. Raiden disguising himself by wearing a big hat. Memes. A talking robot dog with a chainsaw that has philosophical debates regarding sentience. Everything in the final boss. "Nanomachines, son."

I really hope that was all on purpose...

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks Borderlands isn't that funny. It tries way too damn hard and I kinda wish they'd just tone it down. That said, it does have it's moments.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here