The Big Picture: This Episode is Part of the Problem

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I usually donīt check much information about movies before i see them, i read reviews to discover what movies are out there at the moment, but i never follow the development religiously. I just donīt think it matters that much, i love movies but we wonīt see Star Wars until 2015 and maybe a trailer near winter time, until then i donīt really care since itīs so far into the future. Iīd much rather look into the stuff that releases soon or the stuff that i missed.

Am I the only one that actually watched Abrams' TED talk? The whole point of the mystery box is that you do not look in the box. He's had that magic shop box since he was, like, 8, and he knows he'll be disappointed if he sees what's in the box.

You hear that? He knows he'll be disappointed if he sees what's in the box. The idea if the mystery box is not hiding information until the right moment, it's hiding information forever and letting people's imaginations fill in the gaps, something that, it turns out, Abrams isn't very good at (he's too much of a show off and likes to show you the "incredible" thing in his box).

Actual mystery box movies/tv:

1. Cloverfield. What the hell was that monster?
  2. Lost, up until the last episode, at which point the box was opened and everyone was disappointed.

Things that were not mystery box (as defined in the TED talk):

1. Any movie Abrams has directed or written

Now, his whole marketing tactic where he tries to keep a lid on production... that's still the thing it is, but can we please stop calling it "mystery box marketing" because it's initially similar (if ultimately opposite)?

This casual ignorance of what concepts mean is how we get things like the new Man of Steel movie: Superman's basically just Batman but if Batman had god-like powers, right? Brood brood brood.

ShadowGandalf01:
I prefer movie creators to not give away too much. I like to be surprised at the movies, not be going, oh this must be the part where *twist* happens.

For example: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I would've been gobsmacked to learn the identity of the Winter Soldier while watching the movie, but instead, it was given away, by me reading the film synopsis. Why?

So really, the less I know/find out about Star Wars 7, the better. I've learned to tread VERY carefully around the internet to avoid things I'd rather not find out.

(I've been avoiding all the Godzilla trailers since the teaser already sold me. I don't need to see anything else about it)

Probably because that's not the twist of Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Hell, the early reveal of the Winter's Soldier's identity completely blindsided the REAL twist of the movie.

OT: With that stated, if you really want to hide your movie, to what Marvel has been doing for its previous movies. Pretend to hid something incredibly obvious then blindside them with another twist. Everyone was surprised by Iron Man 3's and Winter Soldier's twits, so you can keep a secret. You just need to know who your audience is and lead them in a different direction.

I think this pretty much sums up Abrams' career.

Us: I think the island is purgatory.
JJ: Nope. Guess again.
Us: No I'm still pretty sure it's purgatory.
JJ: Nuh-uh
Us: Okay, maybe it isn't purgatory.
JJ: Surprise! The island is purgatory.

JJ: Guess who this mystery man is.
Us: It's Kahn.
JJ: Nope.
Us: No, it's definitely Kahn.
JJ: I'm telling you, it isn't Kahn.
Us: Look, it's obviously Kahn.
JJ: Surprise! It's Kahn.
Us: Fuck you Abrams.

Sick of entitled fans, and journalists, who feel like they're "owed" news. You're going to see it anyway; it's better to know as little as possible. Nolan and Spielberg do the same

I just wanted to tell moviebob that I see you included C3PO's mystery box for the stormtroopers in the video edit. Very sneaky. Also, does anyone else think that Marsha Lucas' contributions to star wars being erased from history is an appropriate topic now that feminism and media is a bigger topic?

I can't say I really care whats going on with Star Wars anymore. After all those shitty games and cartoons came out after the new trilogy, I just completely lost interest. Three movies that I thought were pretty cool as a kid are just not enough motivation to keep up with the sludge they're pushing out 30 years after the fact.

On another note, why isn't the big picture showing up in any of the feeds in this new layout? It's my Tuesday ritual to watch this show. I hope the Escapist isn't trying to phase it out.

Read on another site that JJ should make a Mass Effect movie. I wouldnt trust JJ to make a sandwich. Fucked up star trek and now he will probably do the same to Star Wars.

I think this episode nicely highlighted the paradox of the internet age of movie anticipation. I fully engage in the reveals and teasers and leaked information to build up anticipation for an upcoming movie, but at the same time I ALSO miss being able to go into a movie with no idea what to expect so everything I see is surprising and unexpected and my reaction can be "whoa, didn't see that coming" rather than "cool, there's that awesome bit from the trailer". It's contradictory and confusing.

ShadowGandalf01:
I prefer movie creators to not give away too much. I like to be surprised at the movies, not be going, oh this must be the part where *twist* happens.

For example: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I would've been gobsmacked to learn the identity of the Winter Soldier while watching the movie, but instead, it was given away, by me reading the film synopsis. Why?

Well as Bob pointed out in his review of the movie (I think), the real twist of the movie wasn't the identity of the Winter Soldier (who, let's face it, was really only playing a supporting role in the movie named after him) but

Now THAT twist absolutely blew my mind. I was sitting in the cinema literally gobsmacked, because I had absolutely no idea it was coming.

This whole mystery box thing might be cool when you are working on new IP but I think Abrams thing of "this isn't a remake of Star Trek 2......OH! Fooled you! It is!" Approach to twists is kinda silly. I think a few people mentioned the Winter Soldier Reveal, but the truth is when you are dealing with this IP why both hiding it? I mean its not hard to get spoiled. I found out who the winter soldier was before I knew who the winter soldier was. The reason for that was that, I really got back into comics around Civil War, and before that I hadn't really read any Captain America before then.

So J.J. Abrams who admittedly makes pretty inoffensive (not amazing) movies, shouldn't bother trying to fool us with twists before the movie comes out simply because it just ends up with him lying about what he's doing but in such an obvious way that everything surrounding what he does just comes across as contrived and pointless.

ShadowGandalf01:

So really, the less I know/find out about Star Wars 7, the better. I've learned to tread VERY carefully around the internet to avoid things I'd rather not find out.

(I've been avoiding all the Godzilla trailers since the teaser already sold me. I don't need to see anything else about it)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (or any other movie based on a book) is a bad example.

If they followed the material faithfully the identity of the Winter Soldier in the movie was going to be the same as in the 2005 comic books which were collected into a trade in 2006 and that 2010 The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes! cartoon. In fact, about the only thing they changed in the cartoon from the comic was the Red Skull rather then the USSR being responsible for the Winter Soldier.

As far as the movies are concerned there doesn't seem to have been another Captain America as in the comics so that leaves out William Naslund, Jeffrey Mace, and William Burnside. Also the viewer would have to given some back story to even care about any of those guys; I'm a comic geek and the only one of them that is even remotely interesting is Burnside and that is only because he is not the only one AFAIR they haven't killed off yet.

I'd watch an episode on Big Trouble in Little China. Hell i'd watch it twice.

wait, is bob admitting hes doing it on purpose to fit in nicely with trends to spark discussion on up coming/all ready released films?

First, Bay, then JJ, you should get some antibiotics before that turns into something more serious, like death. JJ may be better than Bay, but not by a great deal. His total incomprehension of continuity, especially anything even remotely scientific (yet he still believes he can do plausible SciFi), is the only saving grace of him working on this project, since Star Wars is pure techno-babble. So JJ should not be able to screw this one up, like he did with Star Trek. That is unless he read about metachlorians <however the hell you spell that> and though, "wow, I can get three movies out of that alone, as long as I pretend it is anything other than what it is, and then send actors/actresses out to lie about it just before the movies are released." Sorry JJ, you have pulled that one too many times. So, JJ acting like JJ is fine, pretending his easily deduced 'mystery' is actually hard to figure out does not bother me, so much as we do not know if Disney has their own production team keeping a careful eye, lest JJ call Lindelhof back up to get some more 'great' ideas.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here