Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Cel-Shaded Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Cel-Shaded Games

Lisa's feeling a little artsy this week, so she takes a look at some of the best cel-shaded games out there.

Watch Video

Okami had to be number one. I'm afraid I can't agree with the Wii version being better than the PS2 version due to the motion controls being far too finicky. Still waiting for a price drop on the PSN version so I can buy it for a third time.

I was expecting Killer 7 to be on here instead of No More Heroes, but interesting selection. I can't imagine Borderlands with out cell-shading.
But what the deuce was that street lingo from the Jet Set Radio (or is it Grind) segment?!

I do have Okami HD downloaded and installed on my PS3.

Should probably play it at some point huh?

I pretty much approved of this top 5 especially when I didn't know Lisa is a No More Hero fan!

Okay so no Strong Bad's Cool Game 4 Attractive People? Or Conker's Bad Fur Day?! Or Killer-7? Or 13?
But then again, i never liked cel-shaded. It does look too toony and I just file those games in the same place I do the 80s GI Joe and Scooby Doo.
I mean like Lisa said, serious graphic games do get crappier over time, but in my opinion cel-shaded looked crappy from the start. Yes these games still looks as good as when they first came out, but they looked like shit when they first came out!

There's no stopping Ammy :)

Yay!, Lisa thinks the Wii version is the better one! I wholeheartedly agree ^.^

The moment I saw the title of this top 5, I kinda guessed 2/3 of the games listed here :P

Pity XIII isn't mentioned. Sure, it's not the world's greatest game (that said, it is good), but it made fantastic use of cel shading.

Since I got lucky last time guessing Majora's Mask and RE4's merchants would feature in your Shadiest Merchants Top 5, I'm gonna be bold and bet on four cel-shaded games for this list before watching the video.

-Okami
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Borderlands
-Wind Waker

I'll come back after watching.

EDIT: Alright, Okami and Wind Waker made it to the list while Borderlands got the weird preamble spot, fair enough. Now to my question, why don't more people know about Dragon Quest VIII? Is it because of the roman numeral that hails a bunch of games you didn't play either and that gives you second thoughts about getting into it this late in the franchise? Is it a Final Fantasy OR Dragon Quest but not both argument? Seriously people, it's a fantastically gorgeous game worth over a hundred hours of gameplay, simple upbeat storytelling with no mopey bullshit or convoluted melodrama and some very humurous characters. Give it a try.

Can't argue with anything on the list, but I have to say I was kind of hoping for another shared slot on the top spot for Okami and another you showed off in the beginning, Valkyria Chronicles. Valkyria looks like it was drawn with colored pencils, even outside of cutscenes. Best looking game I've ever played.

There are plenty of cell-shaded games that could have gotten an honorable mention like XIII, Crackdown, Ultimate Spiderman, Team Fortress 2 and The Simpsons Game.

Cel shading looks awful, always has always will. The only game that looks passable there is the Zelda one. I haven't played it but I would if I owned the console. Developers, please stop making cel-shade games.

Johnny Novgorod:
Now to my question, why don't more people know about Dragon Quest VIII? Is it because of the roman numeral that hails a bunch of games you didn't play either and that gives you second thoughts about getting into it this late in the franchise? Is it a Final Fantasy OR Dragon Quest but not both argument? Seriously people, it's a fantastically gorgeous game worth over a hundred hours of gameplay, simple upbeat storytelling with no mopey bullshit or convoluted melodrama and some very humurous characters. Give it a try.

To be perfectly honest, I like both Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy more, so DQVIII just kind of gets lost after them.

How about a game that should NOT have been cel-shaded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kohrUp9phy8

That ending bit was a mess, but damned if I didn't laugh.

Aw man, I was hoping Catherine would make the list. I am in love with that game's aesthetic from the art direction to the sound design. So fucking good.

Now I want to play Killer 7 again, love that game to bits.
Decent top 5 aswell.

Blood Brain Barrier:
Cel shading looks awful, always has always will. The only game that looks passable there is the Zelda one. I haven't played it but I would if I owned the console. Developers, please stop making cel-shade games.

Says the guy with an avatar from a rotoscoped game.

floppylobster:

Blood Brain Barrier:

I don't know what rotoscoping is, I'm just talking about appearances. Another World looks terrific.

I don't know if it's about technology or style, all I know is all cell-shaded games I've seen look artificial, fake, cheap. Windwaker shows some promise but not much. Which makes me think the technology is at fault. Show me a Cell-Shaded game that looks as good as Another World and I'll change my mind.

floppylobster:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Yeah it's hard to take this list seriously without XIII in it, not to mention having no mention whatsoever of Cel Damage, Futurama, or Killer 7.

Blood Brain Barrier:

floppylobster:

Blood Brain Barrier:

I don't know what rotoscoping is, I'm just talking about appearances. Another World looks terrific.

I don't know if it's about technology or style, all I know is all cell-shaded games I've seen look artificial, fake, cheap. Windwaker shows some promise but not much. Which makes me think the technology is at fault. Show me a Cell-Shaded game that looks as good as Another World and I'll change my mind.

I'd say rotoscoping is to 2D what cel-shading is to 3D. In the case of rotoscoped, you take film and then trace everything into digital and make it look like drawings. Look up videos of The Last Express to get an idea of early use in games. The film Waking Life is another good example.

I find the whole realistic=brown/grey/drab/gritty graphics inmensely boring, but I wouldn't say the technology is at fault. It could look antoher way, and many games use the same engines and spit out great art direction. Realistic/brown games look exactly like what the developers want them to look. Same with cel-shading. The games look exactly like they are meant to look. You may not like the style, others do (like me) but there is no faulty technology at work. Considering it's made to look like watercolors, drawings or other painting techniques I have no idea how it wouldn't look fake or artificial. I happen to agree with Lisa, cel-shading actually makes the art withstand the test of time much better than other graphic options.

shiajun:
Considering it's made to look like watercolors, drawings or other painting techniques I have no idea how it wouldn't look fake or artificial. I happen to agree with Lisa, cel-shading actually makes the art withstand the test of time much better than other graphic options.

Uhh.. yeah. Totally alike.

Putting aside that the idea of linking painting techniques with graphics is more than a bit silly, they couldn't be more different. One has thick lines surrounding well-defined objects with fine detail. The other features vague detail with parts blending and transitioning into one another and more attention to the scene as a whole than individual objects.

Personally Cel Damage was the first game that came to mind when the video started. That MAY be because I had heard someone bring it up recently elsewhere.

Wait, NMH is cell-shaded? I mean it has a very cool look, but it's not what I think of when I hear cell-shading... guess it's a little subtler in that regard?

Says "Its my show so suck it"

And at end, loses control of her own show.

Poetic Justice.

The List lacks an entry from the Tales of series, specifically Symphonia.

Hey List, why u no include Tales of series? Specifically Symphonia? U allergic to awesomeness?

Blood Brain Barrier:

While I loved playing Another World "terrific" is the last word I'd use to describe its art style. Its visuals were something I had to get over to enjoy it.

Well, at least she acknowledged Killer7 in the setup.

josemlopes:
There are plenty of cell-shaded games that could have gotten an honorable mention like XIII, Crackdown, Ultimate Spiderman, Team Fortress 2 and The Simpsons Game.

I'd pick these (save for Crackdown, never played it) over all of Lisa's list.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Something is obviously wrong with your eyes, cel-shading looks great.

RealRT:

Blood Brain Barrier:

or he just has a different opinion, you know. i for one think cell shading needs to be used very delicately not to look awful and majority of games fail at it (including borderlands). None of the games shown in this weeks video look good.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Can't argue with anything on the list, but I have to say I was kind of hoping for another shared slot on the top spot for Okami and another you showed off in the beginning, Valkyria Chronicles. Valkyria looks like it was drawn with colored pencils, even outside of cutscenes. Best looking game I've ever played.

qft

another game that was shown in the beginning was Madworld. One of the other "few" non kid titles on Wii.

A game I haven't played (yet?) that should have been milked for comedic value here is

wait for it

scroll

YAIBA

duh!

Strazdas:

RealRT:

Blood Brain Barrier:

or he just has a different opinion, you know. i for one think cell shading needs to be used very delicately not to look awful and majority of games fail at it (including borderlands). None of the games shown in this weeks video look good.

Jet Set Radio doesn't look good?
Something's wrong with your eyes too.

Cell Shading is a great art style, it makes the games stand the test of time a lot better than pseudo-realism
Curiously enough, I have been playing Okami for some time now. The game is 8 years old, and still looks like it belongs in this generation... The game came out at the same time than Red Steel, Resistance 1 and Call of Duty on an older generation, and it still looks gorgeous to this day.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here