Escapist News Now: New Unreal Tournament For Unreal Engine 4

New Unreal Tournament For Unreal Engine 4

Epic Games has revealed that their popular multiplayer shooter will be returning in Unreal Engine 4 for Mac, PC, and Linux and will be simply called Unreal Tournament.

Watch Video

Well, if it's going to be a repeat of UT3, I'm not expecting much sadly.

My suggestions:
-Nix the account system for regular play; or make it a separate thing for "ranked" play if it must be included.
Please, do NOT force most of the game modes to work through that shit.

-LAN support...and for the love of God, PLEASE no Always Online. Yes, I know most people play online today, but it's the unparalleled LAN and mod potential that made UT99 and 2004 the classics they are for me and many others. It was sold as a complete package, not just for dudes who only played online, and it worked brilliantly.

-Mod support...which sounds like it's already in. So no further commentary.

So.... no console support?

PC, Mac and Linux? Extensive modding?

Thank God for Jim!

(need to praise a deity, you know?)

"PC, Mac and Linux"

No, you nongs! Microsoft's operating system is called Windows, not PC! PC refers to the hardware, not the OS! Get it right for once!

Complaining about bad writing aside, It's nice to hear there's going to be a Linux release of a major game.

I just hope UT4 is going to make a return to the saturated colours of the original, rather than the greyed-down slop of UT3.

The Mod thing will be important. Many games can be made immortal by allowing Mod Support (graphical revisions, funs, more content etc.).

I hope it really does well.
More games need mod support. It's boring when you completed a game that you quite enjoyed, or you're playing a game that could be made better and there's no Mods for it.

wait, modders charging for their content?
that is... unusual... I don't know what to think right now.

UT has always been my favorite shooter. Here's hoping for console support down the road.

remnant_phoenix:
UT has always been my favorite shooter. Here's hoping for console support down the road.

Oh, dear lord, let's hope not.

The last thing anyone really needs is another woefully compromised console version of Unreal Tournament. Speed, precision, and modding are what will revive the franchise, and you can't have any of those in a console fps.

i did play unreal 2004 with some friends and i actually enjoyed it. but didnt get my self UT3. well, maybe if i am sick of titanfall, i might get it eventually. i rather wait for some comments and reviews to see if its worth my money though.

at least good to hear that its for pc. that way we dont have to expect some crappy port.

mjharper:

remnant_phoenix:

Oh, dear lord, let's hope not.

The last thing anyone really needs is another woefully compromised console version of Unreal Tournament. Speed, precision, and modding are what will revive the franchise, and you can't have any of those in a console fps.

Pretty much. They had to rework too much to make it work with consoles.

"It will simply be called Unreal Tournament"

Oh for fuck's sake. What is wrong with simply calling sequels sequels? Why is this even a trend in the first place? What is so cool about this?

Combustion Kevin:
wait, modders charging for their content?
that is... unusual... I don't know what to think right now.

Some modders already do, especially within the Simulator genre. Look at things like Flight Sim X models that go for upwards for 20.

Honestly, I'm just hoping that it'll still have decent singleplayer support. I like just charging around fragging bots and pancaking them in the Mantis. Please don't take that away, Epic.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here