Escape to the Movies: Neighbors - Genuinely Funny

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Neighbors - Genuinely Funny

MovieBob checks out one of this summer's first major comedies - and it's refreshingly hilarious.

Watch Video

I got the feeling it would be alright from the trailers, I'll probably go see Neighbours. Well this is a refreshingly not sorrowful or defensive episode of EttM.

Edit: Have seen it now, it was pretty good if you exclude the really awkward and unfunny first ten minutes. When Seth Rogen doesn't speak the movie shines.

I'm guessing the first prank was stealing the "u" out of "Neighbours"? Silly Americans; you can take our vowels, but we'll undermine you with the metric system!

Also, is anyone actually expecting the Power Rangers movie to be good? Low-budget fistfights and cardboard city destruction are pretty much all the franchise can reliably deliver, and someone's going to lose a lot of money trying to turn that into a billion-dollar blockbuster.

A comedy MovieBob likes, looks at past comedy's he's liked equal's a miss.

Thanks for the saved money Bob.

I've seen trailers for Neighbors (Bad Neighbours over here), and now MovieBob's glowing review, and still have absolutely zero desire to see it. At the best of times I'm not a fan of prank comedies as they inevitably descend into a pissing contest between unlikable arseholes and I wonder to myself why the hell I'm watching a car-crash of a movie.

Sorry Bob, but just like Pain And Gain you've not sold me on this one.

Loved this movie. It was hilarious.

And the part shown in the review, where the kid starts reciting the "Path of the Righteous Man" had me in tears.

Definitely was a good start for summer comedies.

well, color me surprised.

What's the "good news" regarding Captain America's love interest from "The First Avenger?"

I'll likely wait for the dvd release. Comedies are not worth seeing in theatres, IMO

tdylan:
What's the "good news" regarding Captain America's love interest from "The First Avenger?"

I'll likely wait for the dvd release. Comedies are not worth seeing in theatres, IMO

ABC just greenlit an "Agent Peggy Carter" TV series.

That is a pleasant surprise. My girlfriend and I have been in the mood for a "haha funny" movie for a while. Not a lot floating around out there that we haven't seen. We had committed to seeing it and I'm glad to hear it seems to be as funny as it looks.

tdylan:

Agent Carter is getting her own TV show.

On topic: Bob, I'm willing to accept that Neighbors is every bit as funny, nuanced and enjoyable as you say it is. But you have to reassure us that you're not just doing this out of spite to kick Spider-man 2 out of a week 2 number one slot. I'm not saying ASM2 isn't as bad as you say, I just need to know you're not using your critic powers for evil.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Also, is anyone actually expecting the Power Rangers movie to be good? Low-budget fistfights and cardboard city destruction are pretty much all the franchise can reliably deliver, and someone's going to lose a lot of money trying to turn that into a billion-dollar blockbuster.

Well, it's being put out by the same guys who made the twilight films, the hunger games and the Divergent series. So I can at least be asssured that they'll have actual teenagers for the cast.

And at worst it will just flop for the same reasons the Dragonball movie flopped, no one took the source materiak serious enough.

which of course means that everyone associated with this film is going to need to find that right balance of "taking it just the right amount of seriously with out turning it into an overly serious piece of junk.

Hmmm kinda mixed between seeing it in theaters or renting the DVD....

I actually watched Liberal ARts for the first time last night, in which Zac Efron has a supporting role. Between that and Bad Neighbours I think I might actually be on the way to being a fan of Zac Efron. Not sure how I feel about that.

Since a lot of "teenage heartthrobs" grew up to be good actors, I have nothing against them, only the movies they used to star in. :)

So Zac Efron isn't a dealbreaker for me at all.

Wow they made a Neighbors movie? I didn't think soaps transalted to the big screen but i guess those Aussies on Ramsy Street were just too entertaining.

Despite you being sick you're voice didn't sound all that different.

the movie seems pretty fun and I might check it out the next time I want to watch a movie.

I missed comedies like "thank you for smoking", any chance we get something like that soon? Any recommendation for movies like that that's already out?

I'm not a fan of Zac Efron. Never have been, but if this film is as good as you say it is, maybe I will be.

Has got to be better than That Awkward Moment. I don't think I've ever disliked characters more in a comedy than I disliked Efron and Teller...

Sure was a lot of fawning over Zak Efron in this review, and not enough for the performances of Rogan and Byrne. Speaking of, is she supposed to play an American, because some clips I've seen have her native British accent slip through. I've seen her in X-MEN: First Class and she can do a convincing American accent.

Seen this advertised on TV and it looks retarded, oh well, im sure it will make its millions.

So what was this really good news with what i gather to be captain america's love interest?

This is a great film, I saw it yesterday. Completely agree on pretty much everything you said.

Not sure whether I agree about Zac Efron being better than Rose Bryne though. They were both great and I think Efron is going to have a great career but I just loved the complete reversal of what Bryne's character would normally be and how they completely cast her against type.

But yeah, this is great, I'd seen reviews and wasn't disappointed.

RealRT:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".

Please! Caps! Not that I necessarily disagree with your point... but still! Caps!

Anyway, the scene shown at the beginning of the review - as well as the stuff shown in the trailer - honestly convinced me that MB and I have very, very different senses of humour. I thought both were cringeworthy, to be honest... so I'll avoid this one. Sorry MovieBob. On the plus side, I didn't see either of the "Spiderman" reboot movies in the cinema either, so they aren't getting my cash money.

And this is why we have film reviews. Not to troll fan boys of something but for someone to watch a movie and then tell you if that gut feeling you had was wrong or not. Honestly I was thinking about skipping Neighbors but with all the positive reviews out there it turns out my gut feeling was wrong and I would have missed a really good movie if I didn't use reviews as a source of information on films.

Thanks Bob for pointing me towards a good film.

So it's basically that one episode of Bob's Burgers, but as a movie?

RealRT:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".

That's cute. You think they care what you or any of the viewers think. If they did, they'd have gotten rid of the "captchas" that force you to parrot back advertising slogans and banner ads that play full videos with unmutable audio over top of the video you're actually trying to watch.

TheMadDoctorsCat:
MB and I have very, very different senses of humour.

Yeah, I figured that one out long ago. But the way I see it, it's a lot more interesting and informative to hear from a reasonably sensible, articulate person who I often disagree with than a complete idiot who has similar taste to me. I find I disagree with MovieBob, Yahtzee and Jim much more than I agree with them, but still generally worth listening to just for the different perspective.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

RealRT:

Please! Caps! Not that I necessarily disagree with your point... but still! Caps!

Anyway, the scene shown at the beginning of the review - as well as the stuff shown in the trailer - honestly convinced me that MB and I have very, very different senses of humour. I thought both were cringeworthy, to be honest... so I'll avoid this one. Sorry MovieBob. On the plus side, I didn't see either of the "Spiderman" reboot movies in the cinema either, so they aren't getting my cash money.

They are there to imitate shouting. I don't write EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MESSAGE LIKE THIS, I know how annoying it is.

blackknight467:
So what was this really good news with what i gather to be captain america's love interest?

She's getting her own TV show called Marvel's Agent Carter and will deal with her helping found S.H.I.E.L.D. in the days after the defeat of The Red Skull as well as dealing with 1940s sexism towards women.

Darth_Payn:
Sure was a lot of fawning over Zak Efron in this review, and not enough for the performances of Rogan and Byrne. Speaking of, is she supposed to play an American, because some clips I've seen have her native British accent slip through. I've seen her in X-MEN: First Class and she can do a convincing American accent.

Just so you know, Byrne is Australian not British; and so is the character she plays, at one point her character even threatents to "go back to Australia" or something to that effect.

here's the real question that needs to be answered because it is a seth rogan movie. is it still funny if your not high on weed?

Looking at the previews for this, it seemed like an idiotic "look at this guy. He deserves pain because he's UNCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" focus group idiot-fest

I don't think I can trust anyone's opinion that thinks Seth Rogen is funny.

Kahani:

TheMadDoctorsCat:
MB and I have very, very different senses of humour.

Yeah, I figured that one out long ago. But the way I see it, it's a lot more interesting and informative to hear from a reasonably sensible, articulate person who I often disagree with than a complete idiot who has similar taste to me. I find I disagree with MovieBob, Yahtzee and Jim much more than I agree with them, but still generally worth listening to just for the different perspective.

Agree with that actually. I watch Yahtzee's show constantly, even though he and I disagree on just about every game he reviews. You don't have to agree with someone's subjective opinion in order to get something worthwhile out of what they're saying.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here