Jimquisition: Tomodachi Strife

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

erbkaiser:
Oh yes Nintendo is horrible because as a Japanese company, it applies Japanese cultural norms to a game.

Nintendo is of course also "racist" against Muslims, since this game does not allow marriages with little children (as the Prophet with Aisha), or plural marriages (a basic islamic right).

The western release could have easily included gay marriage as a feature.

OMG, Jim. You just said you're not completely straight. That means you're politicising things and rubbing our faces in your sexuality!

Joking aside, I have one quibble: I don't think many of the people who are defending Nintendo would stop defending them if they said the same thing about excluding women or non-whites. I can't say whether this is bigotry or apologetics, but I suspect the former. We've seen a lot of defenses for lack of diversity in games, though.

Zero Serenity:
Did Jim just admit to being Bisexual? Explains his love for Commander Shepard now doesn't it...

Fappy:
"Not entirely straight"? Huh, I always assumed the homoerotic stuff was 100% faked for humor. Considering I do the same thing all the time, I never considered Jim was actually anything but straight. Not that it really matters.

The more you know, I suppose :P

More on topic: That game looks really horrifying. The big Mii heads rising out of the sea are going to give me nightmares.

Jim's said he's bisexual before, so it's not like he just came out or something.

And to Fappy's post specifically, I always assumed he was being over the top myself.

josh4president:
So how long until someone throws up the whole 'danger of inclusion' argument like what happened with Mass Effect?

"If we allow the Gay Tomadachis, then we have to allow PEDOPHILE Tomadachis as well!" or what not?

In fairness, you can have interspecies relationships in Mass Effect. OMG. The slippery slope is true! Soon people in Massachusetts will want the right to marry aliens!

It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Jar-Jar!

Worgen:
Nintendo has always taken the path of least resistance, if it sees someone yelling about something, it will usually try and either avoid or tone down the issue, like the blood in mortal kombat thing, they heard people bitching about the violence, they censored it, then they got yelled at louder so they let all the blood back in mortal kombat 2. They are one of those companies you have to yell at to get them to do anything.

If that was true, they wouldn't try so hard to lock down their content. That's not path of least resistance. It's Nintendo's obstinance that tends to get it in the most trouble.

Transdude1996:
Part of the reason Tomodachi Life didn't intend have gay marriage in the first place was because Japan doesn't accept it as a whole, thank you Gaijin Goomba for pointing that out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50f8mLfTzwQ

Polls are showing that about half the country supports some sort of same-sex partnership. This argument has no legs and it's sort of surprising that GaijinGoomba, a guy who's usually quick to defend Japan, would make such assertions.

Also, as an extra piece to point out, The Sims 4 is actually given an AO (Adult Only) rating in Russia because of the fact that it includes gay marriage:

This is rather a new thing, though, as Sims 3 did not.

The minute we start telling people how their supposed to think, we become no better than Germany and the Nazis in WW2.

Unless we're gassing bigots, I think we can safely say your Godwin is inapt. However, we're not telling people what to think, either. Laws of commerce are not laws regarding thought. Can we tone it down a notch? Especially when the people who proposed the law you're defending are now crying foul at businesses that put up "we don't discriminate" signs as bullying them? Are they also "no better than the Nazis" for trying to "tell people how they're supposed to think?"

Or can we maybe just declare that comparing this to the Nazis is incredibly inappropriate and kind of undersells the actual attrocities of WW2.

Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that the whole "social commentary" excuse comment was just really poor wording on their part, and not Nintendo stating that it's impossible for them to implement homosexual relationships as anything other than a political statement. From what I've heard (of course I could be wrong, I haven't been following the whole kerfuffle too closely), the reason it was "excluded" was because the bug allowed for reproduction regardless of the gender of the two people, which is just biologically impossible, and it's not like they had time to add completely new mechanics like adoption or surrogates.

It doesn't really excuse the "out-of-touch" aspect and it's still a pretty bad excuse anyway to be sure, but I feel the old adage of "don't attribute to malice what could just as easily be explained by stupidity" still applies. For better or for worse. *shrug*

I'm disappointed in you Nintendo, I hope that the game at least includes a asexual option, no idea why since I have no plans to buy the game.

Dragonbums:

The gist of what I removed from Dragonbums post: Jim got the details of the bug wrong and some other stuff. Link below.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.849789.20988250

Nature of the full bug at IGN (of all fucking places to get things right.) http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/05/nintendo-on-gay-marriage-and-tomodachi-life

The gay coupling players saw in screenshots were not a result of the bug. It was a result of Japanese players dressing up their "female" characters as male character and having them romance each other.

Wait.
Did they have the female Miis romance each other, or did they have the female Miis dressed as guys romance male Miis?

Anyway.

Yeah, I heard about that too. Glad Jim made the rest of it more about what Nintendo said to calm people and about how it's still so "risky" to just include gay people in games.

Still a shame about the misinformation, though I think you may be letting it get to you a bit too much.

Imp Emissary:

Dragonbums:

The gist of what I removed from Dragonbums post: Jim got the details of the bug wrong and some other stuff. Link below.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.849789.20988250

Nature of the full bug at IGN (of all fucking places to get things right.) http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/05/nintendo-on-gay-marriage-and-tomodachi-life

The gay coupling players saw in screenshots were not a result of the bug. It was a result of Japanese players dressing up their "female" characters as male character and having them romance each other.

Wait.
Did they have the female Miis romance each other, or did they have the female Miis dressed as guys romance male Miis?

Anyway.

Yeah, I heard about that too. Glad Jim made the rest of it more about what Nintendo said to calm people and about how it's still so "risky" to just include gay people in games.

Still a shame about the misinformation, though I think you may be letting it get to you a bit too much.

They had female Mii's look and sound like Male Mii's and had them marry each other that way (I also think they were able to eliminate the default dresses as well to make it a lot more real)

I know it's getting to me, but man, look at the most commented section of this site. Most of them are directly related to the misinformation spreading of this entire issue. With people calling Nintendo bigots. I'm getting tired of it.

erbkaiser:

Nintendo is of course also "racist" against Muslims, since this game does not allow marriages with little children (as the Prophet with Aisha), or plural marriages (a basic islamic right).

When did Muslims become a race, and when did a religion supersede things like laws? Were the latter that simple, one could simply get a same-sex marriage in Japan by converting to a branch of Christianity that accepts same-sex marriages. It doesn't work that way.

Of course, serious question. Assuming we accept your statements that Islam allows these things (though you'd get an argument from many Muslims against them), would you be as quick to defend a game made by Muslims that graphically depicted pedophilia because it's "their" cultural norm?

Would people really be as cool with Nintendo's stance if it was defending the option to include pedophilia?

And would that be sold in the US? OR would they do what they frequently do and "localise" it.

Big_Isaac:
Just checked again and, yeah, unless I'm missing or misunderstanding something, this is how the whole thing went:

- Nintendo releases the game with the gay marriage thing
- The devs patch it away because it wasn't intentional
- The press starts going on about Nintendo being against homosexuality
- Nintendo responds, saying "this isn't what we were trying to say. We were just fixing a glitch"

Basically, the fault lies with whoever moron thought that patching gay relationship out of the game was necessary

I could be wrong but didn't the glitch in the game that was 'patched' have something to do with letting you swap the gender clothing palettes when importing characters? So technically it was more of a cross dressing glitch than a gay marriage one, and I would say is kind of a poor substitute for the latter.

I like the idea of this video but the video itself is definitely not one of Jim's better ones. Containing misinformation about the patch as it wasn't to get rid of teh gays! but to fix game breaking glitches and the male/male relationships was a side effect. Also with the dismissive attitude towards the apology this gets very social justice ranty. Really the only thing Nintendo has done is once again proven how behind the times they are which isn't anything new.

I've got a feeling this has more to do with Japan's marriage laws being behind the times than Nintendo trying to make a statement. Of course that doesn't make it right, but it explains it.

I feel like you missed some vital information in this one, Jim, like the effect that the glitch had on games and the fact that the game couldn't be changed for an English release, but your point still stands: homosexuality should not be a taboo topic. It should just be a thing.

I have a feeling that part of the reason Nintendo felt this was the "safe" decision is because the game is rated E for Everyone. I'm a progressive individual, but cynicism leads me to believe that with the current (unnecessary) politics surrounding same-sex marriage, that the ESRB and other rating boards would bump the rating up for having homosexual relationships at all. Again, that's fucking stupid and doesn't justify it, but it should explain it. Perhaps the reason we don't see controversy like this with the Sims or Skyrim is because they're rated T and M respectively...? After all, you see gay characters all the time on more adult-oriented TV shows, but god forbid our precious children are exposed to the gay! They might start exercising tolerance at a young age, or willingly sell the sodomites goods and services in exchange for currency as if they were... *Gasp*... NORMAL PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT SEXUAL ORIENTATIONS! Gay children will get it into their heads that their sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of, and before, THEY'LL BE EQUAL MEMBERS OF SOCIETY! ORPHANS WILL BE ADOPTED AND TAKEN OUT OF A BROKEN FOSTER SYSTEM, AND TEEN SUICIDE RATES WILL PLUMMET!

Yo Jimmy boy you got the bug thing ass backwards check out dragonbums posts.

I must be living under a rock this is the first I've heard of this issue, hell its the first time I've heard of this game.
so what is it Sims with Miis?

shrekfan246:

It doesn't really excuse the "out-of-touch" aspect and it's still a pretty bad excuse anyway to be sure, but I feel the old adage of "don't attribute to malice what could just as easily be explained by stupidity" still applies. For better or for worse. *shrug*

The inherent problem is that stupidity doesn't significantly make things better, especially since they are "out of touch." It really also doesn't help that people jumped to their defense for being a Japanese company, as though that somehow made any of this particularly more acceptable.

Dragonbums:
Goddammit Jim. You got the info of the bug wrong, you got the nature of the statement wrong, you got everything fucking wrong...

GODDAMN THIS!

This is why I can't stand it when Jim talks about social commentary; he tends to go full on SJW, twisting facts to suit his own agenda, convincing me that he's the one with the bigoted world view. I agree that Tomodachi Life would be improved if it had a slider for sexual orientation, but to spread misinformation about why they failed to implement it so as to paint them as awful human beings is childish and something I wish Jim was above.

daxterx2005:
I must be living under a rock this is the first I've heard of this issue, hell its the first time I've heard of this game.
so what is it Sims with Miis?

It's a dumb game for teh casuals and you don't care and neither does anyone involved with this campaign. Go back under your rock, you'll be much happier and safe from the SJW ignorance-hate-train derailing all over your face down there.

Zachary Amaranth:

shrekfan246:

The inherent problem is that stupidity doesn't significantly make things better, especially since they are "out of touch." It really also doesn't help that people jumped to their defense for being a Japanese company, as though that somehow made any of this particularly more acceptable.

Well, yes, but I think it's jumping the gun a bit to go right to calling them "bigots" because of this. I can't say one way or the other whether Nintendo are bigoted or not, but saying stupid things and handling a sensitive situation in a poor manner doesn't automatically make them so.

Dragonbums:

Imp Emissary:

Dragonbums:

They had female Mii's look and sound like Male Mii's and had them marry each other that way (I also think they were able to eliminate the default dresses as well to make it a lot more real)

Ah. Odd.

Was that an actual part of the game, or where they just messing around with it?

Dragonbums:

I know it's getting to me, but man, look at the most commented section of this site. Most of them are directly related to the misinformation spreading of this entire issue. With people calling Nintendo bigots. I'm getting tired of it.

:( Yeah, that's the internet (not using that as a dismissal, just saying I know and have seen what you're talking about).

But Jim wasn't making that the whole focus of the episode and I'm sure he'd be happy to be corrected.
I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset. It's reasonable to be, when people are using incorrect information. Not just because it's annoying, but also because it makes the people using it look bad.

I know it can be hard, but ya got to try and keep a level head.
:D "Ya catch more flies with honey than ya do with salt." As they say. ;p

Look, I'm all for gay marriage is games and real life. Just as long as we don't have gay divorce.

I'm pretty proud of Jim's reaction. He didn't straight up get offended by Nintendo and got off about it- instead, he discussed the issue, addressed why it's an issue, and even added good facts about Nintendo that it apologized rather then focus entirely on the negatives of Nintendo.

We also learned that Jim is perhaps bisexual, but he didn't even make a big deal about announcing it. Maturity at it's best (no sarcasm). I'm actually hetrosexual but I do get tired of developers trying to show they go 'out of their way' to add gay relationships in games like Mass Effect. It shouldn't be a chore nor addressed... just add it in as default.

Bethesda handled it like a boss. They just told everyone that you can marry any NPC regardless of gender and didn't care if you're gay or not. Just marry whoever you feel you want to marry, period. Everybody wins.

The problem with Nintendo is that they're trying to please the majority of people in Western and in their own country (Japan) that are straight. What happens though is that they shun a big portion of people and make a poor excuse so it then gets everyone's attention thus people like myself, Jim... regardless of sexuality, feels it's wrong.

No wonder Nintendo is doing bad. They aren't synced with the world entirely. Not putting them down, but they aren't thinking clearly about all their choices. Why even patch the game that had same sex? Just leave it in and tell everyone that it's a game about socializing and no one's forcing you to date other males. Easy win.

10BIT:

This is why I can't stand it when Jim talks about social commentary; he tends to go full on SJW, twisting facts to suit his own agenda, convincing me that he's the one with the bigoted world view.

Yup. Like remember the time he did an episode on the Mighty Number 9 and Zoe Quinn thing, basically presenting the narrative that both these women were just victims of the faceless sexism wave, ignoring the reality that the community manager chick actively and ignorantly riled up the community she was supposed to be managing by saying she wasn't a fan of the thing the forums were based around, and has apparently gone out of her way since that whole thing to prove how fucking terrible she is at her job justifying all the dissenters, and failing to even mention how the Zoe Quinn thing was actually just a bunch of people on the boards she posted her game on complaining about how it was a terrible representation of Depression (which anyone with even a basic understanding of psychological disorders would know upon playing her terrible privileged first world problems ridden failure of a 'game', my boyfriend used to be suicidal so yeah it's a bit personal to me sorry) and the gaming media actively twisted the story to make it sound like what Jim purported it to be.

When it comes to shit like that and this, it really reenforces my outlook that it's the SJW brigade who are far, far more bigoted and willing to treat people differently based on nothing but their gender/race/orientation and not as actual people who can be failable and wrong even if they happen to be queer/women on the internet and it does nothing but cast Jim in a bad light to side with them when issues such as this arise. It's sad cuz so often Jim is supposed to be about dispelling the misinformation and curing ignorance of the masses, but with issues like this episode and those above he's much more content with maintaining the narrative Daisy Fitzroy style.

Imp Emissary:

Ah. Odd.

Based on the Direct that seems to be something you can do in game. You can transfers your current Mii's (and alter their voice) or make female/male Miis (depending on the relationship your going for) and have them look like the opposite sex- transfer them over to the game, adjust the voices accordingly and have yourself a good ol time.

But Jim wasn't making that the whole focus of the episode and I'm sure he'd be happy to be corrected.
I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset. It's reasonable to be, when people are using incorrect information. Not just because it's annoying, but also because it makes the people using it look bad.

I know it can be hard, but ya got to try and keep a level head.
:D "Ya catch more flies with honey than ya do with salt." As they say. ;p

The issue is that even if he was just focusing on the statement it reinforces the increasingly popular and very bad notion that if "If your not for us, your against us". Especially when it comes to clash with other regions and cultures that don't give a shit about Western ideals. In the case of Nintendo they make a game that is only for a Japanese audience. Japan is a place where gay marriage is illegal. As such it comes to no surprise that they don't put that feature in the game.
As for the statement itself the original statement before their "apology" statement was basically the same fucking thing. They weren't going to do it in this installment but they were going to do it in later installments.

I mean- where the fuck were these people when you couldn't have gay marriage in FE:Awakening? Seriously.

NightsOwl:
So, pretty much what this is saying is that Gay relationships should be in any game with relationships by default now?

I agree. And I feel it should be the standard by now too. Even if I'm not gay myself or even if I am, I might get a bit of enjoyment seeing the main character of a game swing both ways. Really, it only helps make everyone happy, unless they're homophobic, which at that point, they can go shove it.

Inclusion of every party cannot hurt if it's a party that does no harm.

I have no problem with inclusion in games, It doesn't hurt anyone. To each their own. However there are still a great many cultures and people in this world that find homosexuality to be an abomination. At this point all inclusive relationships should NOT be default. It's as perfectly okay to be intolerant of same sex couples as it is to tolerate or support same sex couples as long as you don't act out on your prejudices.

Right now there are sectors of gay community who go out and attack people who do not support Gays. They mainly attack through social media and news outlets. The result is a call to boycott and/or public shaming, it's essentially a public lynching without a rope. This is discrimination and is just as wrong as a company firing an employee because they were gay.

Did Nintendo handle the situation poorly, yes. They could have made a statement that didn't ruffle so many feathers.

@ Jim, you've expressed exactly what I didn't like about Nintendo's response, now I don't have to say it myself. I suppose I should use this new found free time to watch more Jimquisition, lol.

Well the Japanese are horrifically homophobic, and while I'm at it, sexist, xenophobic, jingoistic and probably racist too.
Is ANYONE surprised by this? Seriously?!
This is the nation that brought us Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Faye Valentine, DBZ's Mr. Popo and a bazillion more offensive characters, stereotypes and caricatures.
I think it would have been more surprising if Nintendo HAD kept the gay marriage part.

I remember playing the first Sims game with some friends around the time it came out. We were 15-16 years old, heterosexual highschool teenagers. We were messing around, having fun with the game and attemting to murder our neighbours. At some point, there was a misclick of some kind and one of our sims started making out with a dude. Our reacion was "Huh? ... Huh." followed by "Wouldn't think they'd put something like that into the game.", at which point we shrugged and moved on. We didn't care. Later, when we read that some people made an issue over this, we facepalmed. To us, this didn't even register as more than a passing curiosity and was hardly something worth mentioning. It's sad that 14 years later, a good chunk of the gaming world can't muster the same level of tolerance that a pack of 15-year old morons (which we pretty much were) had by default...

Dragonbums:

I mean- where the fuck were these people when you couldn't have gay marriage in FE:Awakening? Seriously.

Probably because a huge portion of that game involved reproducing with your loved one with your child inheriting both parents traits. How would you go about it with a gay marriage? Select a surrogate? Magic pregnancies? A Mass Effect Asari body meld?

They probably just didn't want to spend that much time on it.

Though... on Mass Effect... I don't mind gay relationships, and I applaud Mass Effect 3 for having them... but they were really awkward, poorly written, poorly animated... it was pretty embarrassing to sit through. If you're going to do it, do it right...

Trishbot:

Dragonbums:

Probably because a huge portion of that game involved reproducing with your loved one with your child inheriting both parents traits. How would you go about it with a gay marriage? Select a surrogate? Magic pregnancies? A Mass Effect Asari body meld?

But there is always solutions! They could adopt kids! Plenty of orphans in war torn countries.

I mean, I'm perfectly aware of all of the things pointed out. But this is the thing. It's very picky and choosey what they want to rage about.

I'm all for gay rights and marriage. Hell I'm glad the next game is going to implement it. But at the same time I'm not going to tell someone who wants to be neutral on the subject that they are bigots and anti homosexual for not having the feature.

It would be the equivalent of me saying that Nintendo is racist against those of dark skin because in the character selection screen you can't choose to be tan-brown (unless of course your getting a tan, but really now.)

You know, I just noticed how this new backdrop makes it look like you're a black winged angel.
Makes sense to thank God for you now!

Also, thanks for going out of your way to be inclusive of the angels in the audience! ;)

So they had some shit coding in the game because the developers didn't take into account the transference of data and they hope to make the coding in the next one not as shit so as to not repeat this. That an accurate summation?

erbkaiser:
Oh yes Nintendo is horrible because as a Japanese company, it applies Japanese cultural norms to a game.

When you are exporting your game to a different country, you have to take into account the sensibilities and cultural norms of that region. Don't they have an entire American branch to handle that? Isn't that the point of localization?

Even if they didn't want to patch it back in, fine. But they, especially Nintendo America, shouldn't have implied that gay relationship is some kind of an outlier in their original message. That's what pissed people off.

Muslims aren't a 'race'. Most Muslim countries aren't theocracies (62% of Muslim population are in SE Asia), and have secular laws banning child marriage (even if they have trouble enforcing them). Law overrides religion. So no, they aren't being 'racist' against anybody.

Fact is, it's entirely up to Nintendo what they put into their games and if they don't want homosexuality in their product it's their right. It's not a hate speech, it's just a product.

THAT.SAID.

It's an absolutely abhorrent thing to do and it feels completely arbitrary. I never imagined Nintendo having a particular stance against homosexuality and the fact they apologised probably indicates they dont. Surely someone at Nintendo would have realised this would hurt sales from gay people and gay friendly people?

Does anyone else think it's odd that Nintendo say they can't change the game now when they already patched it to "fix" the gay bug? Can't they just patch the patch?

Imp Emissary:

Ah. Odd.

Yes, this was an actual part of the game. Nintendo of America has announced that they have no plans of removing it from the game.

Big_Isaac:
Just checked again and, yeah, unless I'm missing or misunderstanding something, this is how the whole thing went:

- Nintendo releases the game with the gay marriage thing
- The devs patch it away because it wasn't intentional
- The press starts going on about Nintendo being against homosexuality
- Nintendo responds, saying "this isn't what we were trying to say. We were just fixing a glitch"

Basically, the fault lies with whoever moron thought that patching gay relationship out of the game was necessary

Actually here's how the whole thing went:

-Nintendo releases Tomadachi Life
-Players realize that transferring Mii's from the DS Tomadachi results in data leakage and memory corruption
-Nintendo releases a patch fixing said error
-An Article notes this patch and comments that some players are using cross-dressing to get around no homosexual
marriages within the game
-About a year and a few months later, Nintendo announces Tomadachi Life for a worldwide release
-Tye, a homosexual gamer, realizes that Tomadachi Life doesn't have homosexual relations
-Tye starts Miiquality, a reasonable mature campaign to allow homosexual marriage in the next game, if not this one. He
also emphasizes to not boycott the game
-Nintendo responds to Miiquality with well-meaning, but idiotic statment
-Several websites pick up on Miiquaity and the earlier article and twist everything around. Stating that Nintendo patched
homosexual marriage out of the game (when they didn't) and tells consumers to boycott the game and that Nintendo is evil
-Nintendo responds with much better statement, but damage is already done.

OT: Where's that facepalm picture? Because that's me right now. What ever happened to using first party sources to get your info? It has discussed multiple times on this very website, that part of controversy was a non-issue caused by a translation error. When IGN of all sites is more investigated than anyone else, a serious problem has occurred.

Alright, Nintendo IS wrong for not including same sexual marriages in the Tomadachi series. No one (OK, pedantic people, very few of the people here) is arguing about that. And I applaud Miiquality for his well-meaning, mature campaign to fix such a travesty. My issue comes from the lies and outright yellow journalism displayed everywhere for the sole purpose of painting Nintendo as a mustache twirling bigot. If you have issue with Nintendo's stance, you don't need to add any more bullshit. Talk about the stance. Adding lies only serves to misinform to public and to make yourselves look like villains in the long run.

CaptainBill22:

NightsOwl:
So, pretty much what this is saying is that Gay relationships should be in any game with relationships by default now?

I agree. And I feel it should be the standard by now too. Even if I'm not gay myself or even if I am, I might get a bit of enjoyment seeing the main character of a game swing both ways. Really, it only helps make everyone happy, unless they're homophobic, which at that point, they can go shove it.

Inclusion of every party cannot hurt if it's a party that does no harm.

I have no problem with inclusion in games, It doesn't hurt anyone. To each their own. However there are still a great many cultures and people in this world that find homosexuality to be an abomination. At this point all inclusive relationships should NOT be default. It's as perfectly okay to be intolerant of same sex couples as it is to tolerate or support same sex couples as long as you don't act out on your prejudices.

Right now there are sectors of gay community who go out and attack people who do not support Gays. They mainly attack through social media and news outlets. The result is a call to boycott and/or public shaming, it's essentially a public lynching without a rope. This is discrimination and is just as wrong as a company firing an employee because they were gay.

Did Nintendo handle the situation poorly, yes. They could have made a statement that didn't ruffle so many feathers.

I agree, I was thinking a bit closed minded when I was only thinking of Japan, the UK/EU, and US. You have a point about cultures being massively different, and in that respect I don't really know what to say. I'm the type of person who's okay with gay marriage or whatever not being in games or being in games. I just think it adds more choice, so if it's not in, I don't mind. In games where you're essentially the main character, I can see why, but games with a preset character with a name, personality and everything else, I can see why it wouldn't be in something like that.

I'm on the side that if it gets to the point where it is the default standard somewhere down the line, I don't mind. As of right now, you're correct, most of the world cannot handle it. And that's a pity that some people cannot enjoy a game they want, because a company may not add the option in because of being unable to sell it in other territories.

I think I'm just rambling. Sorry for the TL;DR. x_x

RA92:

When you are exporting your game to a different country, you have to take into account the sensibilities and cultural norms of that region. Don't they have an entire American branch to handle that?

For the most part NOA can not make changes to a game without approval from NOJ. The only exception I can think of would be if bringing the game over had caused some game breaking bug and it needed to be reworked or something.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here