Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Katana Wielders

Top 5 Katana Wielders

Lisa breaks down the best video game characters to ever brandish a katana.

Watch Video

I have a challenge, if I may. How about the Top 5 Weapons (That Aren't Guns, Swords Or Completely Stupid). Let's see some battleaxes and warhammers get love for once. Swords are overrated.

No mention of the marked one from Mark of the Ninja? For shame!

Yoshimitsu take me!!! JUST TAKE ME! I love you! And you definitely deserves your place on this list!

God I have a soft spot for katanas[1]. And I have another soft spot for ridiculously over-the-top katana designs, like Sephiroth's Masamune and Jetstreams Sams flaming jet powered electrified monster of a sword. Yamato is my all time favourite though, given it can cut time and space. TIME AND SPACE.

[1] Yeah, my whole body. Funny joke.

Pyrian:
No mention of the marked one from Mark of the Ninja? For shame!

Too true. "Mark of the Ninja" was a fantastic showcase of stealthy katana-based guard killing. A deserving CVA winner and certainly deserving of usurping at least one of the members of that list.

Sephiroth was the man that showed me how deadly a katana could be. Especially if was like 10 feet long..

I don't even think the Washing Pole from Dark Souls and/or Dark Souls 2 is as long as Sephiroth's. I mean it's beastly long and super swift in comparison. Regardless, I loved this video. All good choices for the top 5 especially mentioning Raiden since he can cut almost anything into a million pieces in slow motion.

Oh and for the next Lisa Foiles badge- I beg of yah to make it having her holding a katana. Just the thought of her holding a katana close up (face wise) or just her holding one period would be the sickest thing everrrrrrr!!

I almost coughed up my beverage when you started imitating your friend Dan

I've only played Tekken 3 but wasn't Yoshimitsu a robot?

Awwwwww! No love for any of the Samurai Warriors Franchise Katana wielders???

Or even Zhou Tai from Dynasty Warriors?

No love for the Kusigare from Red Steel 2? A criminally underrated game? SHAMEFUL!

CAPTCHA: it happens

I know...BUT STILL...

I was kind of expecting you to try and cheat a way for Travis and his various Beam Katana onto the list, they're still technically katana. =P

Raiden? Seriously? If you wanted to go with a Katana wielder from Metal Gear, the obvious choice is Gray Fox. He went out like a boss.

How is there no Lloyd Irving????????????? Tales of Symphonia is still one of the greatest games of all time!

Wait, did you begin with the phrase 's-words'? Is that a reference to the 1996 SNL parody of a 1984 show?

You're old Lisa. :P

madwarper:
Raiden? Seriously? If you wanted to go with a Katana wielder from Metal Gear, the obvious choice is Gray Fox. He went out like a boss.

Metal Gear Rising just made Raiden respectable, I was surprised she didn't take any footage from Revengeance to show just how much badass Platinum has made him.

Um, what about Leonardo? He even uses two!

Good list.

Don't be too nostalgic though. I agree on Ryu being number one. But not showing footage from Revengeance and venting about DmC just shows an attachment to the old dial a combo brawlers. Wich is odd coming from someone who is apparently so bad at fighters ... Me? I am glad MGR:R and DmC have moved away from that and introduced new mechanics.

p.s. there is not a real lighthouse character in those games but the real king of Katana games is of course the way of the samurai series!

Lisa Foiles:
Lisa breaks down the best video game characters to ever brandish a katana.

No love for Bayonetta?

Sephiroth has nothing on Augus from Asura's Wrath. That dude has a sword that goes from the moon all the way to the other side of planet Earth!

Bonus points to Sephiroth for having the same voice as this motherfucker!

Squeeeeeee'd so hard when I first noticed it.

The lack of Crono makes me upset.

I too am puzzled by the lack of Revengeance footage, but I also did not hate Raiden when he first appeared. I liked how he evolved as a character, from eager to serve but unsure of himself to telling an omnipresent A.I. it's full of crap. Also, I take issue with including Yoshimitsu from Soul Caliber, since nobody's weapons in those games can draw even a drop of blood. It's like they're made by Nerf!

Katana. What an overrated sword.

Loved the "One, a humorous substitute for your own lips" moment at the end. Do the escalator next time.

RA92:
Wait, did you begin with the phrase 's-words'? Is that a reference to the 1996 SNL parody of a 1984 show?

You're old experienced Lisa. :P

Here you go, I fixed it for you, free of charge.
You're welcome.

P.S. Although tip is expected ;)

blackrave:

RA92:

You're old experienced Lisa. :P

Here you go, I fixed it for you, free of charge.
You're welcome.

P.S. Although tip is expected ;)

The only tip you'll get is the tip of my sword! ;)

1: Strider (of the same game)
2: Zou Tai (Dynasty Warriors)

I like my Katana that I have hanging from my wall and would probably poke an eye out trying to use.

So no female Katana users at all?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here