Zero Punctuation: Child of Day-Light - Horror and Whimsy

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Child of Day-Light - Horror and Whimsy

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Daylight and Child of Light.

Watch Video

Child of Light was written by the same guy as Far Cry 3. That doesn't sound like a good thing considering he was whining how nobody got his great vision in FC3 about how your character is just making it all up. Now this. Seems he's overrating himself.

I wonder if Yahtzee ever heard that the lead designers deliberately built the game as a/in reference to JRPGs.

I feel like it would've been a crucial aspect to his commentary.

That last line may be my new favourite of yours, Yahtzee. Glad somebody is upholding poetic standards. :)

Yahtzee, you are the king of comedy.

I feel semi-guilty that I don't even care about whether you're recommending or condemning a game I just want to hear your unique accident tell another funny.

Keep it up funny man.

Well alright then, I'll go redownload Slender: The Eight Pages, and then finally give Dust: An Elysian Trail a proper go seeing as free downloads are free.

Damn never heard Yatzhee get this mad at the end XD

I had not idea that Yahtzee was so strict when it came to poetry.

Someday, I'd like to make a horror game where the protagonist is just some inspector from the reposession authority investigating Dr. Stapler's foreclosed mansion laboratory.

Or perhaps a small child breaking in on a bet with the big boys behind the bikeshed.

What the fuck Yahtzee. How dare you slam a game for an entirely Poetic script. While I haven't played the game heard that it's poetry is amazingly beautiful and it was probably hard for someone to wright all that. And I don't see YOU do any better...

Child of Light was certainly dull as a rice cracker wrapped up in a fairy tale illustration. As soon as I realized all it had to offer were terribly disjointed battles and nauseatingly forced rhymes in place of dialoge, I ran for the fucking hills.

My fear that it would just try to cruise along on its "unique snowflake" concept without putting in any effort turned out to be true.

Well this week he had me at "Microsoft F-light Simulator", but the conclusion was just epic.

Yeah, I watched a few videos covering Child of Light and the first thing that struck me, not even twenty minutes in, was how stilted and forced the writing felt. I knew right then that it wasn't going to be a game for me.

I'm not much of a poet, but then neither were they. At least I know it; What can they say?

The outburst at the end was amazing

Ken_J:
What the fuck Yahtzee. How dare you slam a game for an entirely Poetic script. While I haven't played the game heard that it's poetry is amazingly beautiful and it was probably hard for someone to wright all that. And I don't see YOU do any better...

See: His Wolfenstein review.

Also, the poetry was pretty OK, if you're not OCD about the technicalities. I thought the jester that kept breaking his rhyme was a nifty addition.

Hardly surprised that he disliked Child of Light. I don't blame him though

lacktheknack:

Ken_J:

See: His Wolfenstein review.

Or the weekly poetry show.

Although, in all fairness, he did just use that to rhyme 'Traffic cone' with 'Xbox One', so Yahtzee's not infallible either.

YES! YES! YES!

The "poetry" in this game is terrible! Like, I really like their idea, but they really shouldn't have run with it unless they actually knew anything about cadence.

I liked Child Of Light, but i do think reviewers almost ruined it for, as you said its one of those by the numbers for the Indie artsy scene. However i still think it pulled it off pretty damn well, Its just a shame that most reviwers turned into fake pretentious wine connoisseurs when talking about it.

Just cappuccinos? Why not beers too?

Sometimes I forget Yatzee is a poet. XD (goes back to watch his FTL poem again. It was awesome.)

Also, you LIE, Yatzee! That "luminary" pun was TOTALLY intended! It HAS to have been!

Otherwise, as a huge maker of puns myself, I'll have to be both severely disappointed AND very jealous.

Yeah, child of light is getting critical acclaim. But I think thats more because of the weird place we're at with feminism right now. All the game critics and journos heard that a new artsy game is coming out staring a young girl and they flipped their shit. Not only do they get to praise an artsy game and act like they're real journalists as opposed to bloggers with delusions of grandeur, but they also gained some cred for when they accidentally say something that causes tumblr to freak out and attempt to get them lynched for no reason.

I get the feeling that if you make a horror game about a haunted hospital, asylum, unnecessarily huge mansion, poetry clubhouse, whatever and let the player character just a random person that simply really really need to borrow a toilet and is no longer stingy or something like that, you break some kind of unwritten rule... But then, if the Player Character WAS unrelated to the house they would probably run away at the first sound of a messed-up rhyme...

At the end, wasn't that just a slant rhyme? Granted that's not perfect but still within the rule-book right?

Well, I could get into fighting bad poetry.

Falsename:
Yahtzee, you are the king of comedy.

You made a rhyme.

I feel semi-guilty that I don't even care about whether you're recommending or condemning a game I just want to hear your unique accident tell another funny.

Keep it up funny man.

Considering most people just want to see him hate on a game unless it's one they like, I'm pretty sure it's an upgrade to see people just want entertainment.

Though it is weird to think "dance, monkey, dance" might be an improvement, it probably beats "tell me I'm pretty and that all the other girls are ugly tramps!"

jurnag12:

Or the weekly poetry show.

Although, in all fairness, he did just use that to rhyme 'Traffic cone' with 'Xbox One', so Yahtzee's not infallible either.

Ken might have been indicating Yahtzee's poems sucked, though. Of course, the alternative is a pet peeve of mine, since it's much harder to make something good than to know it's good, so insisting one be able to produce something of quality before they can comment on quality is absurd.

But still, maybe he just doesn't like Yahtzee's poetry.

Hdawger:
At the end, wasn't that just a slant rhyme? Granted that's not perfect but still within the rule-book right?

People make their own rules for what's acceptable and some are very hardcore in enforcing them. Especially poets and writers.

While I can usually put up with all dialog in a game purposefully rhyming, I at least expect it to be done well.

If this is the case with Child of Light, then I imagine it would annoy me about as much as it seems to have annoyed Yahtzee.

Ken_J:

Please, please, please tell me you're being facetious...

I always enjoy it when Yahtzee talks about poetry. Hardly a week goes by that I don't go back to re-listen to his reading of an Ode to Melancholy. Even though it's just an excerpt.

There has been a lot of disparity in the whole light/dark department lately, I can't help but wonder why that is.

One day they'll make AAA games again... one day

Ken_J:

You probably weren't aware that Yahtzee and Jim do a video series that's Poetry:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/articles/Jim%20And%20Yahtzee

But yeah, if you haven't played the game, you don't know how good the poetry is. Second hand opinion isn't solid.

That Falkor\Dogcycle must be one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. Good going :D

I found the "poetry" in Child of Light extremely irritating as well. Don't use rhyme just because you have to use it, it doesn't work.

The rest of the game was fairly generic too, I did like the combat system though.

Wow I guess I am one of the very few people who weren't bother by the rhyming dialoge in Child of Light at all? In saying so my English aren't that good for me to cared about it or get frustrated trying to dicypher what's going on from the dialoge.
Still it's a fantastic game abliet it quite short but that what you get for 12.

BWAHAHAHA! The last 45 seconds of this video made me laugh harder than anything I've seen from ZP in a while (and every episode amuses me). Something about the vehemence with which he explained the failure of poetry was just extra...animated.

I just find child of light so damn boring. At least the old RPGs of yore it's mimicking had some goddamn depth and challenge to them.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here