The Big Picture: No No Power Rangers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Revnak:

Animaniacs, Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls, Ed, Edd, n Eddy, the entire fucking Disney Renaissance, Rugrats, Doug, Recess... The 90's were pretty great for cartoons. And Pokemon was completely ridiculous. I have no idea how you could not stand Power Rangers but could deal with that. I remember all of those things and I was just 7 at the millenium. You really don't have an excuse for ignoring them. I'm not saying that the 2000's had nothing but terrible cartoons (though I question your specifying of Kim Possible), but the 90's definitely were far from terrible.

The Powerpuff Girls stands the test of time and some of those weren't stupid, but they're also not genius. Rugrat's would always be awesome to watch, but there'd never be a time when someone would want to go back and watch some old Rugrat episodes, and the Rugrat's were something of a highpoint. It's skewed a little younger than I was thinking about too, because it's aimed at an age group which isn't really ever going to tie into a nostalgia based reboot.

Kim Possible is friggin' legendary but I also do have a good reason for naming that one (apart from going back and rewatching it and finding it still totally watchable) and that's because my sisters who're a decade younger than me stumbled upon it and now quote it all the time. There are very few 80's/90's cartoons where that could happen, particularly for girls. A lot of people defend Sailor Moon as a girl-friendly high point, but Kim Possible is what Sailor Moon should have been.

Yeah Pokemon is crud, I was surprised how awful it was going back to it but it still makes a lot of sense to me that I hated Power Rangers as a kid and loved Pokemon. Pokemon doesn't fail at the most basics of basics. In Power Rangers, as a kid, I didn't even understand that they were trying to have a fight scene. It was a confusing mess of people dancing around and then suddenly leaping away in a shower of sparks. I understood that combat was taking place, but it seemed like, I dunno, representative art it was so shoddy. And then the story felt as horrible as a story based around used footage was.

Whereas Pokemon, despite now turning out to have also pacing and characterisations and plot and voice acting, portrayed a functional world and was good at portraying the wonder of being a Pokemon Trainer. Charmander looked and behaved like charmander, which does add a lot. As bad as Pokemon was (and it was awful), in some ways having watched the cartoon manages to make playing the games even better.
----------------------------------
You have reminded me that there was stuff that didn't suck, but I still think that the point still stands that 2000's cartoons go above and beyond and can be entertaining even to none kids. The My Little Pony of the 90's was barely watchable by children, the MLP of the new millenium is good enough that 30 year olds watch it. Whilst the stuff you named doesn't suck, and I was wrong to write it off, I'm still never going to want to go back and watch more of it*. Even some of the not-brilliant stuff that my sisters watch (Total Drama) is still good enough that it's not irritating to be in the room as they watch it.

None of the Disney cartoons were worth the time of day, excepting maybe Darkwing Duck which I was too young for. Unless you're talking about films, in which case, I only ever meant TV shows. There's plenty of fantastic childrens films from the 90's (and presumably the 80's).

*Animaniacs might be worthwhile. That could be a taste thing.

MarsAtlas:
Yeah, I don't see a Power Rangers being all that good honestly, and I was a fan as a kid. I mean, do you think a grim-dark Power Rangers would be any good? I certainly don't, yet we all know that thats a likely scenario. I just can't see it being good as anything more than a goofy, extremely fan-servicey movie with lots of dumb action poses, and honestly, I don't that that'll work for anybody who isn't already a big fan or below the age of ten. I don't think that it'll necessarily be bad, it just won't be Iron Man or Captain America, and thats even with an optimistic projection that they hire somebody who gives a shit and they don't do the dark,gritty reboot thing.

Ok, that, right there. Has there been any indication so far that this is going to be grim-dark? It's Power Rangers, they're going to at worst make it a PG movie for martial arts violence. Heck, the first movie they made had the Rangers kicking ooze monsters into walls until they exploded into mush. For that matter, several of the TV shows got pretty dark and had kids dying. Lost Galaxy had a story arc of a man who lost his son right in front of him seeking vengeance against the villain of the season but attacking the Rangers if they got close to him. Wild Force had an on screen death of a kid!

I'm hopeful about this. The darkest I could see this possibly going is along the level of a Pixar or Dreamworks movie that appeals well to younger audiences but has themes that would go right over their heads (And I don't mean insertion of adult jokes to make it seem "mature").

25-year-old here. Honestly, this is the first time I've heard of a Power Rangers reboot movie coming out.

I did indeed enjoy the show as a kid (at least the first couple of seasons), and I still find the first movie as a guilty pleasure. Yes, it's all cheesy as hell, but it's enjoyably cheesy.

As far as the reboot goes...depends. First, I want to know which movie studio and director is making this. Please don't let it be Michael Bay, because I'm already not a fan of the TMNT movie coming out...

drummond13:
I'm very confused. Is this guy calling us hypocrites if we like Batman but think a Power Rangers movie is going to be terrible?

.....seriously?

It has nothing to do with being from a different age group. It has everything to do with the source material for both sets of characters being vastly different in quality.

No, he's saying that critics of the 80s rolling their eyes about the idea of a film reboot for a show that were made to sell toys shouldn't complain since they've always asked for a film with the same criteria.

It wouldn't be hard to actually have a Power Rangers movie that's good. You just take the premise of Pacific Rim and adapt it.

I remember that I loved that series to death when I was a kid despite not even understanding english. While I understand that the general quality of the show has not aged well, some still look at the show with fond memories. On a personal note, I am pretty sure that I just want the movie to have an excuse to listen to that killer guitar track.

On a somewhat related side-note* Hollywood.. May I have my "ReBoot" movie since you never gave me an ending to my favourite childhood show?

I'm talking about this for those who don't know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBoot

I don't experience nostalgia like a lot of people do. So I can see the advantages of all these being made in modern ways. Also, I'm older than Bob, but I quite recall Power Rangers. I even remember watching it at points... but I had a torrid love affair with anything martial arts growing up, so that could explain that. You can say what you want about the show, but the faux martial arts was a lot of fun to watch. That whole genre of shows is exactly like that, which is probably why I thought it was at very least, kind of cool to watch.

I'm actually pretty excited for this, but I am from the exact generation that this would be targeted to. Of course I'm a bit nervous about Hollywood massively screwing it up, but a lot of that could be assuaged by seeing the names Ron Wasserman and Judd Lynn attached ASAP.

I get where MovieBob is coming from on this but at the same time I think he needs to take a step and realize that many people are rolling their eyes over this because Power Rangers isn't really that good... This is coming from someone who was a massive fan back in the day and watched the show religiously for quite some time. I remember one time Fox messed up and aired two episodes back to back playing the following day's episode. I flipped out when that happened and to this day I still remember that rush of excitement knowing I wouldn't have to wait until the next day to see it. I even went to check the TV Guide channel to see if it was supposed to be airing and it wasn't plus Fox even billed a different show as coming up next. Hell I was even pumped when they did the first movie and didn't mind the changes it brought to the show with the changing of the costumes and new zords too.

While not everything from my youth will stand the test of time there is still that nostalgia which helps it hold up today. Power Rangers is so bad that no amount of nostalgia is going to overcome it. I remember when Power Rangers first popped up on Netflix and my reaction was "Oh hell yes!" Sat down with a friend who was just as big of a fan as I was and we couldn't even make it through an episode before we had to turn it off. The source material just doesn't really give much to work with, the entire series is puddle deep and the whole concept has revolved around making a show as cheaply as possible to sell toys.

I just can't see how Power Rangers can be done on the big screen without getting rid of much of what makes Power Rangers well Power Rangers. The problem is if they keep that "special" something in there then the entire thing will just end up being incredibly corny which will no doubt result in a poor box office showing. When you've got things like Godzilla, Pacific Rim, The Avengers 2, and so forth hitting screens the world over Power Rangers just kind of pale in comparison. Part of the draw to Power Rangers as a kid was the simple fact that there really wasn't live action super heroes, at least in large amounts like today. Sure we had Batman and the Superman films but beyond that you were hard pressed to find something which lived up to the fast paced action you'd expect from something like that. There weren't many giant robot shows either, we had the Godzilla films but in many ways those weren't always the easiest things to get your hands on due to the lack of well established internet fandom.

Power Rangers filled a massive gap that kids wanted and were willing to overlook how incredibly bad it was. These days there isn't that gap, especially at the movie theater. I know the show is still somewhat popular with younger audiences but I can't imagine pandering to that audience is going to result in a good film. It just seems like a foolish project which will only end in disaster as it joins the ranks of god awful films which should have never happened.

MCerberus:

In all my internet travels I have never seen a group of people consider the MMPR more than a minor nostalgia rush usually followed by "you know, that show wasn't that good, but I liked it as a kid". I guess we can add "fanbases" to the internet quantum physics laws.

I wouldn't call it quantum physics, it's more than likely a sampling issue.

daibakuha:

I don't think this episode was really about Power Rangers so much as using Power Rangers to represent a general thought among the gen Xer film critic.

Replace "Power Rangers" with the term of your choice, and the end result is the same. Well, I won't be the person in question as a given, but the rest is the same. Using your examples of Pokémon, there are people who grew up with Pokémon who scoff at new product. And let's be honest, how many millenials would really be behind a western reboot of Pokémon? Same with the Ninja Turtles, which is weird to attribute to millennials, since I was like 7 when it became a thing and I'm a year older than Bob. In fact, I'd attest that Gen Xers scoffing at the new TMNT movie demonstrates what I was saying and why I'm not 100% onboard with Bob's argument. It came out two years after GI Joe, three years after Transformers (Which would then end the year TMNT came out) and a whole four years after He-Man and the same year they decided to capitalise on the popularity of the show with a (bad) feature film.

Maybe they're not scoffing at TMNT because it's the wrong generation, you know? Bob and I might be on the tail end of Gen X, but we were still in the age range the show was marketed at. People are scoffing based on quality, I think. Much like they did with Transformers and GI Joe. For those of us at the tail end, the ones of similar age to Bob that he mentioned, this would still be, as you put it, their "wheelhouse."

So yeah, it might not be about any one product, but I never thought it was. But the issue I take is that the very fanbases that are supposedly the psyched ones are the ones who seem to be most critical and dismissive. Not everyone is as in love with their childhood as Bob, and it'd be good to recognise that as we're looking for a reason these movies are poorly looked upon.

In short: when you get back to the critics, it might not be "get off my lawn" curmudgeonly stuff, but I understood the point, which is why I ended that comment with a token acknowledgement that it's an attitude we should not employ. Being open to what millenials want and enjoy doesn't mean that they will respond any better, the same as being supposedly closed off hasn't led the new guard to all fall in line with Bayformers and Baynage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And I think Gen Y's response in this very thread is enough to give us a hint as to that.

bdcjacko:

I had a Power Rangers birthday cake when I was a kid and I rolled my eyes.

Also I own a lawn and will yell at who ever is on it.

But you're from the dawn of generation Y. How is that possible?

KazeAizen:

If they embraced that but did the fight scenes with the professionalism of a major Hollywood movie we might have a bit of a classic on our hands. I mean Power Rangers has always had at least pretty decent fight choreography when it came to the ground. Now Del Toro has shown us just how awesome a giant monster vs. giant robot fight can look. Apply that to Power Rangers, with their ridiculous weapons, and we could have something really awesome on our hands.

Also he shouldn't have a main role in my opinion but Jason David Frank should have a cameo at least. I mean he'd probably be game for it. He's pretty much embraced that he is Tommy Oliver and he is riding that train magnificently....in that he posted a video of himself riding his motorcycle in public while wearing his black dino ranger costume one time.

Agreed on all counts. One of the things that always bugged me about MMPR was that the SS footage tended to be of poor (visual) quality, moreso than a lot of the Japanese flicks I watched from around the same time. Now, it never bugged me to the point where I wouldn't actually enjoy it, in part because the fake martial arts were really fun. And if someone could do that with the giant robots and monsters in the movie, it could be AMAZING.

At the same time, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Also, I wouldn't say no to any cameos from Rangers actors, but JDF is such a part of the franchise at this point he really should be part of the movie. Maybe they can pull a Star Trek and he can be "Tommy Prime."

...No?

*backs away slowly*

MarsAtlas:

Gabe Newell is Linkara. It all makes since. History of Power Rangers Episode 3 confirmed!

To be released alongside Half-Life 3 on the Steam Machine!

I'm kinda indifferent about a new Power Rangers movie. I remember liking the Power Rangers for about a year when I was in Grade 6 (and having a crush on the pink ranger) and then I didn't really think about them again for years after that.

Oh man, that intro. The memories. The nostalgia...brain is overloading...good times. Made me laugh.

Wait, there's a Rescue Rangers movie that is in the works? I missed that how exactly? Someone on The Escapist is not doing their job right--or I just missed the article. We'll get the theme song, right?

Also, what was that insanity at the end? Why were Power Rangers fighting each other? Man, if I were still a kid and still a fan of the show, that probably would have had me jumping up in down with joy.

MovieBob:

MovieBob is a tad confused over the reaction over the announcement of a new Power Rangers movie.

As a cynical member of Generation X, there's no irony or hypocrisy when I roll my eyes at a Power Rangers movie. I do the same thing for Batman movies, Superman movies, Avengers movies, etc.

The whole pantheon of superhero and comic-based movies is stupid. They all suck. And I protest when you claim that my generation grew up revering these things. I certainly did not. I grew up holding them in contempt, as any cynical Gen-Xer should have.

Also, the idea that comic books and superheroes were for nerds seems bizarre for me. No, they weren't! Nerds were into intellectual pursuits. These comics and superheroes were for the mainstream. There was nothing nerdy about them. What we're seeing here is a revisionist history, where "geek" has become the new cool, and consumer products are being retroactively marketed as "geeky."

Random Argument Man:

On a somewhat related side-note* Hollywood.. May I have my "ReBoot" movie since you never gave me an ending to my favourite childhood show?

Isn't there a new ReBoot series coming out? Or did that go away of the announced three films?

I reacted to the announcement with a flabbergasted laugh, not out of hostility, but out of targeted nostalgia and sheer disbelief. I mean, the notion, a -gritty- (that was the exact term used) Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers reboot? I'd expect that to come out of a Cracked Photoplasty, not a legit studio announcement. Yes, Comic Books have leveraged themselves into deadly serious movies, sure, but the Power Rangers?

It's not to say they can't do that - not only have they leveraged a damn board game into a movie (albeit a flagrantly terrible one), but Battleship wasn't even novel or unique as Clue had it beat to the punch and was a better movie. Really, when you step away from the knee jerk shock, the MMPR is hardly the most ridiculous or unworkable source for Hollywood to draw from.

And who knows? Absolute coups have happened. Maybe it'll be to the original series what the Dark Knight was to Adam West's original Batman? Sure, it's a one in a million shot, but hell, if the stars align, if fate gets drunk and throws an orgy, if God directly intervenes, if it pans out you're basically talking the Avengers + Pacific Rim. And that, ladies and gentlemen, would be an amazing thing.

I'm... on the fence about the Power Rangers reboot. I've liked Power Rangers since I was a kid, and would gladly get into actual tokusatsu... if I knew where to find it. As for the movie itself, well, they'd probably make it all dark and edgy, which doesn't fit with the original show's fun campiness (though the franchise's attempt at movies in the past have... not gone well). I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Sniper Team 4:
Also, what was that insanity at the end? Why were Power Rangers fighting each other? Man, if I were still a kid and still a fan of the show, that probably would have had me jumping up in down with joy.

If I may put on my nerdy specs for a minute...

That scene was most likely a scene from which the current iteration of Power Rangers is based off on. Basically, every known ranger fights against evil aliens. Now, Super Sentai, which Power Rangers is based on, has been going since the 70's. Hence in the Japanese version, there are 34 teams and 200 Rangers fighting at the same time.

While our version is not as awesome, due to Power Rangers having not been around as long as its' progenitor, it's still pretty cool.

You're welcome.

most likely the movie will be the American version of one of the Kyoryuger movies or a rewrite with Mega Force joining them or something. i just hope they pick something original to make script wise due to the bombing fail of the effort they put into cramming two of the Shinenger movies together into a horribly written special for samurai DVD.

Power Rangers kinda faded when people either walked away from it after the Zordon era or jumped ship when they heard it was an Americanization of Sentai. If you really want to get millennial nostalgia take a look at Pokemon. Hope to god no one will make a live action movie adaption of that.

You know they are going to make it.
You know it's going to suck.

Wow. Four pages and no one thought to post this? For shame...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZvj0jwmV0

I'm part of that generation that grew up with the Power Rangers and was just the right age, I had the toys, I watched the show. I even saw the movies and while the first power rangers film has its charm despite being, well, crap as a film. Looks the first film was bad but it was 90s bad meaning it holds up on it's own stupidity for the most part mainly because you got to see the command centre attacked and destroyed showing the power rangers as weak. Also the mystical warrior woman.

Then there was the Turbo movie............. oh boy even back then as a kid I hated it, I didn't know why but it seemed terrible. I finally realised how much they were talking down to kids by including a kid in the main team line up to try and make kids feel included.

To make a good Power Rangers movie would be so hard to work now because you're trying to appeal to the older generation and their potential kids now in some cases.

Here's how I can seem it maybe working:

Guillermo Del Toro directing (Pacific Rim was so close to the level of sillyness required)
Joss Whedon writing (dude does good action films and fighting)

Throwbacks to the original so Cameos from the original cast in bit parts and of course Bulk and Skull, points for if the actor who played Bulk is now playing Ernie and the actor who played Skull is a waiter in it.

Modern takes on them to hit the present youth. Yes you heard me, which means no cheerleader esc Kimberly and instead and I'm not joking here a black haired emo / Goth / Rocker chick, because how comedic and yet perfect would it be for someone who hates life etc to end up being given super powers ?

To be able to be campy and stupid, this is the big one and the reason I'm personally rolling my eyeballs. I doubt Hollywood knows how to do dumb without doing it accidentally while trying to sound smart. Power Rangers can't work with a gritty reboot, at best it could only work as a parody of itself with comments like "Thank goodness all the monster destroyed was the abandoned industrial area" or the Power rangers actively saying "We have to get him out of this district to the abandoned industrial area so nothing of value gets destroyed".

Trying to do a gritty remake wouldn't work. Power Rangers had it's dark and gritty moment many seasons on and it worked. Adding more grit would just harm the series.

The reason I'm rolling my eyes is having watched Hollywood screw up the following so far.

A reboot of the Spiderman films
The Star Trek reboot
Thunderbirds (seriously this one cut so deep as the studio decided to let Jerry Anderson go from the advisor team as they believed his input wasn't required......... seriously)
The superman films reboot
Transformers (to a greater and lesser extent depending on which film you pick)

Earthfield:

Is it too late to ask for a Biker Mice from Mars re-launch? I wouldn't mind a new cartoon now.

They did, it managed to blow and suck at the same time. Remember how Biker Mice from Mars had the whole "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meets Captain planet without sucking ?" Now imagine if they cut all that out. What you get is the most generic of kids cartoon with Mice vs space cats............... no really

I'm just glad those young turks who were clucking their tongues at me when I got upset about transformers will now, very likely, know how it feels.

I used to love Power Rangers when it came out, I still thought it was stupid, but I liked it anyway. I grew out of it after a few seasons but I would probably watch a big-screen reboot of that crap.

P.S. Every Superman movie was and is total crap.

I was a little too old for Power Rangers, but I'll readily admit that I would poop my pants if they made a Voltron movie, and the only difference between those two series is one of animation vs. live action, so enjoy, kiddos. Just pray you get an Avengers instead of a Transformers.

Flunk:
I used to love Power Rangers when it came out, I still thought it was stupid, but I liked it anyway. I grew out of it after a few seasons but I would probably watch a big-screen reboot of that crap.

P.S. Every Superman movie was and is total crap.

Every Superman movie? I can't agree with that one. I remember a couple that were pretty good.

FFS Bob! You're *supposed* to snark at the next generations culture! It is The Way of Things.

I remember when kids tv was good fer christ sakes! I was on my way to ogedenville, and I was wearing an onion on my belt, as was the style at the time....

Zachary Amaranth:

bdcjacko:

I had a Power Rangers birthday cake when I was a kid and I rolled my eyes.

Also I own a lawn and will yell at who ever is on it.

But you're from the dawn of generation Y. How is that possible?

Are you saying I'm too old to have had a birthday cake? I think it was from my 12th or 13th birthday, I can't remember. But dinosaurs and robots are 2 of my favorite things, and they had robot dinosaurs.

On point, depending on where you look I am 12 days too young to be Gen X, but i really don't feel like I am a Millennial and it seems Gen Y is no longer in use. That being said I grew up on Transformers, Ninja Turtles, and Power Rangers. Maybe Transformers and Turtles happened while I was young enough to not see them for the commercials that they are or maybe they were high quality commercials than Power Rangers, or maybe because Power Rangers is still on mostly unchanged. I don't know. Or maybe the recent Transformers and Ninja Turtle movies have soured me on nostalgia cash in movies. But I just don't feel anything about the power rangers announced movie. I am still upset about the Bay Transformer movies, and I am disappointed in the up coming Turtles teasers. But Power Rangers, I got nothing.

SnowWookie:
FFS Bob! You're *supposed* to snark at the next generations culture! It is The Way of Things.

I remember when kids tv was good fer christ sakes! I was on my way to ogedenville, and I was wearing an onion on my belt, as was the style at the time....

Was it yellow or white, the onion? Did nickels have a picture of a bee on them?

Zachary Amaranth:
snip

Perhaps TMNT is a bad example of what I was trying to say. I was born in 1990 and I remember it being a big part of my toddler years up until age 5 or so.

My point about pokemon and Power Rangers still stands, it's just as bad as the stuff from the 80s, but it's looked down upon more from Bob's generation (and yours). I think it has less to do with actual quality and more to do with these people just not liking millennials.

There is actual disdain for this stuff, because these people never grew up with it, they don't feel the same way. This is what Bob was getting at, these gen Xer film critics can't see through the eyes of the people who grew up with this stuff, all they see is the stupid kids stuff they grew out of and their little siblings liked.

Its actually in its 21st season Bob, not its 22nd.

Holy shit, Rescue Rangers?

That could be awesome. Now only if they could find some way to also make it another Rescuers sequel - Rescuers Down Under was such an underrated gem of a movie...

It was inevitable, and so was the Gen-X reaction. Anyone who grew up under the 90s Japan-flavored entertainment is already well aware of the tiresome elitism when it comes to western comics, and how that cheesy and predictable quasi-violence is so much better than the stuff made in the 90s.

You can talk about "shows made to sell toys" but comics in the early says were all about cheap gimmicks to get kids to buy the books every month, and then later became just as much about toys. I never got much into western comics although I do like Bob's shows based around them. I just find the idea that they offer so much more artistry and depth just feel laughable to me. There's plenty of real quality stuff and horrible drek on both sides, and pretending like the Hulk is so much deeper and complex than, say, the Green Ranger is just nostalgia-colored lenses. Just because a character is 70 years old and has a zillion different iterations and storylines and alternate personas across 40 different multiverse worlds doesn't mean they're awesome and complex characters.

Billy and Zack spoke to me and shaped my perceptions much more than Batman or Spiderman ever could have. Yeah, production was slap-dash and disjointed because of them rearranging scenes from the original Japanese show, and it was super cheesy at times, but you can't really claim that a dude dressing up like a bat and beating up a criminal clown with the overwhelming power of money is some kind of superior artistic statement.

Random Argument Man:

drummond13:
I'm very confused. Is this guy calling us hypocrites if we like Batman but think a Power Rangers movie is going to be terrible?

.....seriously?

It has nothing to do with being from a different age group. It has everything to do with the source material for both sets of characters being vastly different in quality.

No, he's saying that critics of the 80s rolling their eyes about the idea of a film reboot for a show that were made to sell toys shouldn't complain since they've always asked for a film with the same criteria.

It wouldn't be hard to actually have a Power Rangers movie that's good. You just take the premise of Pacific Rim and adapt it.

I remember that I loved that series to death when I was a kid despite not even understanding english. While I understand that the general quality of the show has not aged well, some still look at the show with fond memories. On a personal note, I am pretty sure that I just want the movie to have an excuse to listen to that killer guitar track.

I guess you're right. He just says it so condescendingly. I'll admit that I rolled my eyes a bit at a Power Rangers movie, but I did the same for Transformers, GI Joe, and most of the others adapted from my own childhood. I still don't see the comparison to comics, though. Comics may be silly at their core, but they provide some much stronger characters and plot arcs than the average children's television show. Even the children's television shows based on comics tend to be stronger (or they were when I was younger; not sure about the ones being made now).

I agree that with a halfway decent script it might turn out just fine.

Earthfield:
I'm exited about a first season Power Rangers movie, I was rather old when they came, but somehow it was something different from what I had as a kid, so I've taken a liking on them. I'm not gonna roll my eyes on it, but I'm not gonna drool on the floor for them either. Let's wait and see.

Is it too late to ask for a Biker Mice from Mars re-launch? I wouldn't mind a new cartoon now.

Or S.W.A.T. Kats for that matter. Or the Centurions... I better stop derailing...

Now the Centurions being made into a movie..... I'd pay to see that - Loved the cartoon as a kid, but rose tinted glasses can be a b***h

As for MMPR being made into another movie (first attempt in 1995 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113820/), I'm not convinced. Sure I'll probably drag my nephew to see it so I'm not the creepy guy in the back of the theater, but I won't go in expecting anything spectacular. Who knows though, maybe we'll all be surprised.

So, if I'm a 25-year-old who was never into any of the aforementioned properties (Power Rangers, Batman, the Avengers, Transformers, etc.), and couldn't give less of a fuck about any of it, or the movies that are coming out based on it (except that I find some of the Marvel movies to be good), where does that put me?

I'm not sure why Bob assumes that most people care about one or more of these properties. Some of us don't care, and never did.

You damn kids with your damn morphy rangers, GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
I think I have heart attack, help!

Am I only one scared of what will come out when present kids will be grown up?
Gritty reboot of pokemon?
(Kids are encouraged to tame and train pokemon due to pokemon being actually a genetically engineered warbeasts of 1984-style perpetual war world is in, and eventually kids and their pokemon are drafted into army as fresh cannon fodder. Imagine all the battle scenes of infantry vs. pokemon vs. armored vehicles vs. drones)

captcha: zombie attack
Yes please, just to prevent horrible future of my description

To be fair, I think there actually is a non-chronological difference between the way properties like the Avengers and Batman are treated and the way we've seen TMNT, Spiderman and Transformers treated. I'd be just as sceptical about a Power Rangers movie as I would of anything from the era before that isn't associated with a group or individual who has already demonstrated some kind of ability in regards to that kind of content.

I'm 25 years old and watched the first two seasons when I was a kid and I'm genuinely excited about this. The biggest problem with the power rangers series is it's repetetive monster-trouble-defeat monster-big monster-zords formula and the utter lack of good special effects. If this is done right it might be a very awesome movie because it gets to do a deeper story and with modern special effects and acting.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here