The Walking Dead Season Two: In Harm's Way Review

The Walking Dead Season Two: In Harm's Way Review

Clementine's story takes a turn for the macabre.

Read Full Article

Just finished it myself.

I'm very curious to see how Clem turns out at the end of all this. I'm trying my best to make her follow Lee's example, (good guy Lee, not scum bag Lee).

I'm sensing that Telltale are trying to trip you up with her, make her do something truly nasty, appeal to emotions, but I shall not stray from the path!

Fucking Kenny though man, what a badass.

Having just finished, I can testify that the ending is extremely dark.

Daystar Clarion:

Fucking Kenny though man, what a badass.

Quoted for 100% accuracy.

I still disagree about with you Jim, about the new crew. Since episode 2 I like them more than the old team, and episode 3 only strengthened that. The only character as of now, that feels out of place for me is

Still, another great episode with great range of emotion delivered through it. I really wish Telltale could speed up a bit with new episodes, but I guess TWD one month and TWAU in another is as good deal as we're gonna get.

Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

Yossarian1507:
I still disagree about with you Jim, about the new crew. Since episode 2 I like them more than the old team, and episode 3 only strengthened that. The only character as of now, that feels out of place for me is

Well...

But I have a different opinion than Jim (for the first time ever). I really felt like I was part of the group in this episode. In episode 2 I really bonded with Rebecca, Alvin, and Luke and in this episode they expanded on that quite a bit for me. I remember a conversation with Nick:

After that moment I really felt like I was part of the group and it made me really happy that I kept my promise with Pete. When Luke shows up and puts all his trust in me, I really felt like I was a part of this. And when Carver explains his motivation he's explaining why he's deliberately dragging Clementine into this I actually felt like joining him. I mean, Sterling explains in detail how the antagonists think their in the right? It's even worse than that -- I almost agree with Carver! For most antagonists I would easily brush them off because it's so obvious they're just motivated by greed or some other kind of motivation that paints them as evil. However, Carver's motivation actually made me think..."You know, maybe he's right?"

But yea, I can guess where this is going too, so I have 2 save files, good Clem and Bad. The bad one stayed behind to watch and WOW! Yea, this episode is gruesome at times!

The last choice was by far the most difficult choice in all of The Walking Dead episodes, so far. I mean, choosing whether to save Carley or Doug was easy; one can use a gun and has already saved your life twice, the other just hung around. Choosing whether to bring Clementine to Crawford was also hard, but she'd been helpful in the past when it comes to unlocking doors, so I thought it would be beneficial there. But the final choice in Season 2 Ep 3? Oh my God... I could have paused the game and thought about it for an hour and probably STILL not come up with a choice I could be comfortable with.

The thing I like the most about TellTale's The Walking Dead is that I can be genuinely excited about a new release and actually receive exactly what I expect from them. If I do that with any other developer I usually end up disappointed.

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

I did!

And to be honest what's so evil about the last choice?

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

Of course I did. It was a no-brainer really...

OT: I liked it well enough, but I'm not as invested in the new group as I was in season one. I'm not really attached to any of the characters except for Kenny and Luke... Every death in season one affected me in some way, even those of characters I didn't like, but here,

Also, what's everybody's problem with Sarah? I've heard people get annoyed with her and calling her 'dead weight'. I think it's justified; she's what? 12? It's also established that Carlos has kept her extremely sheltered and coddled her to the point where she's dependent on him. Clearly when she reacts to desperate situations, she's going to react differently then Clementine would.

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

I did. She's dead if you don't, likely dead if you do. But her survival chance went up from Not in a million years to Not very likely. I don't think that's a jerk move at all.

The minute I clicked on the title and realized this was out today I immediately stopped reading, dropped everything and played through the episode. This one felt kinda short but it's like a really superb movie. I paid $6 to see Spider-man 2 and I felt cheated. I paid less for this and I'd much rather play through this again for $6 than watch ASM2 again for free.

Without spoiling anything I said "do it" I don't know why. gut reaction to everything that had happened. Then I stayed and watched. Ugh.

I also went for the arm just seemed logical.

At any rate this series makes the TV series seem like a complete travesty, even the good parts.

As I was sneaking around it occurred to me - I wonder what clems outlook on life is at this point. At no point have things ever really settled down other than that brief time at the motel last season. I would be thinking to myself "Is this what life is going to be from here on out. Forever sneaking and running?" At the end when digbat freaks out I felt cold like even in character I could not help that idiot anymore she was a massive liability.

In the show and the books there's many parts where things start to slow down. It's not like that in the game. Like Troy said they were there less than a day.

I felt really unsure about the final decision but:

Andrew Siribohdi:
Also, what's everybody's problem with Sarah? I've heard people get annoyed with her and calling her 'dead weight'. I think it's justified; she's what? 12? It's also established that Carlos has kept her extremely sheltered and coddled her to the point where she's dependent on him. Clearly when she reacts to desperate situations, she's going to react differently then Clementine would.

The problem is that she's a relatively reasonable 12 year old, and Clementine is a magical badass 11 year old. Clem isn't even really 11, she's as hardened and old beyond her years as the dialog you pick for her.

So instead of being judged on her own merits, she's compared against a battle-hardened killing machine that would make the Doom marine blush.

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

I

I also

The episode as a whole though

Steve Waltz:

Yossarian1507:

Well...

You're absolutely right. I didn't phrase my thoughts correctly in my last post, let me try again:

Yossarian1507:

You're absolutely right. I didn't phrase my thoughts correctly in my last post, let me try again:

I partially agree with you, but I am curious if you made the same dialogue choice I did at one point.

Regarding the episode and season 2 so far:

Choices:

And I'll just toss this in about Sarah. My friend and I have talked a lot about her.

TravelerSF:

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

I

Not anymore we don't!
:(

Raggedstar:
I partially agree with you, but I am curious if you made the same dialogue choice I did at one point.

I actually didn't know that.

It does make a bit of sense, but in this case, it's a shame that Telltale went on with it, even though for some of the players it created a completely out of the left field situation, which was formed entirely off-screen.

Eh, I guess it's not a gamebreaker. I can handle it, it's still an interesting story, and I can't wait to see how will it end.

karma9308:

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

I did. She's dead if you don't, likely dead if you do. But her survival chance went up from Not in a million years to Not very likely. I don't think that's a jerk move at all.

Well,

Yossarian1507:

Hm.. Yea. Maybe they bonded or something while Clementine wasn't around? Who knows... All I know is that you're probably right. Telltale's going to make me care for Mike at one point or another. But also with Bonnie, she knew the group before Clementine was around. There's even that part where Bonnie tells Clem that she was supposed to leave with the group first time around, so her siding with them is quite believable as well.

I really liked the ending and I can't wait where to we go from that point.

Think I'll just wait for a thread with spoiler tags in the title so I can speak freely. I'd rather not have conversations about it with dozens of spoiler boxes.

Andrew Siribohdi:

I think she's a teenager. And if I had to guess she also has some form of developmental issues, else she wouldn't struggle so much with relatively simple tasks.

karma9308:

TravelerSF:

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

I

Not anymore we don't!
:(

Oh riiight... :D Oops, must've slipped my mind with everything else that went down. Well, my choice is still valid in my opinion.

TravelerSF:

Andrew Siribohdi:
Okay, I have to ask.

At the end who

I

I also

The episode as a whole though

I only got round to playing this episode recently; hope this isn't a necro. (Also, spoilers, but I'm expecting most people who were going to play this, would by now)

Wowsers. I was expecting the pace to pick up, but it got almost frenetic in this episode. That the group would resist imprisonment in the labour camp and try to escape was inevitable, but I was expecting this to happen over the course of a couple of episodes - and I'm left wondering if it would be better if they'd done this. It would have allowed for a much more meaningful look at the life within the camp, the way Carver runs the place, and it'd have allowed us to form more meaningful relationships - sympathetic, collaborative, antagonistic, whatever - with the camp's controlling members. As it is we get a very effective if rushed and shallow snapshot of the camp, continuing Season 2's tradition of everything falling to pieces the minute Clem arrives - a cynical part of me suspects this is so that the writers can sidestep worrying too much about continuity and having to write multi-episode arcs for characters that may or may not live. Hmmm.

It's really interesting to see how 400 Days links into this episode, and in fact completely changes the tone from that - playing 400 Days you got the impression you were "saving" survivors, offering them security and community in a humanitarian way - turns out you were finding recruits for a fascistic cult. That's quite the twist. It's nice to see some familiar faces, but I was disappointed by how almost all of them are mere cameos - apart from Bonnie, of course, who I guess is destined to join you in 400 Days.

Decisions: I continued my trend of sticking close to Kenny, playing it cool with the rest of the group, and being uncooperative toward Carver's group. I was cold as hell toward Bonnie - I felt a bit bad about that, but I wasn't ready to forgive her for her betrayal at the turbine house, and she seemed like the kind of character who was too weak to be trustworthy. I chose to watch Carver's death - I'd have gladly pulled the trigger myself, given the chance. The guy had to die - he justified his actions with talk of the greater good and making sacrifices, but I strongly suspect the sick bastard was mostly motivated by the power and his messiah complex. Him beating Kenny and the implication that he raped Whatsherface just sealed the deal. I didn't help Sarah, and I chose to cut off Sarita's arm - she was very obviously bitten, and we know that people can be saved if you amputate the limb quickly.

I wonder where the rapidly shrinking group will go next? I can't fathom why they didn't try to return to the lodge with the turbine, or else use the Walker attack as an opportunity to seize Carver's compound (and all the guns and food).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here