Jimquisition: Tomopology Life

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Tomopology Life

Discussing the power of apology, and owning up to one's silly nonsense.

Watch Video

A day later there's a new video actually responding to criticism and the ability to acknowledge that he fucked up.

THIS is why I fucking love Jim.

Great mature response Jim, too many people will deny their fallibility to the bitter end. Lets just hope this thread doesn't become as ugly as the last one... ugh -.-

Apology is policy

Actually even Jesus apologized, at least he admited to be wrong.

Read Mt 15, 21-28

;)

So we have 3 articles on the escapist, multiple long as threads and 2 jimquisitions about or related to this issue if im correct.

This means I was right, Tomodachi life is officially this years Dragons Crown *hurray*. Nintendo I salute thee.

Edit: I just noticed they have even more in common. Both where issuess that started out relatively small (via a small complaint even though tomodachis was more reasonable at first) and then became huge after the critized party responded in a very unhelpfull manner(altough again nintendos response was more reasonable). Holy shit the similaritys are starting to scare me, Im starting to believe theres more to this then I anticipated.

Whow. I actually PMed Jim about my concerns of the last thread and no later then ONE SECOND ... he makes this video lol.
Either he can read at the speed of light, make videos in less then a millisecond and state all of my concerns ...

Or he had this done way ahead of time, and I just so happened to PM him at the last second about it before releasing the video addressing my concerns lol.. i'ma go with the latter.

OT: You're really awesome Jim. Thanks for admitting that being wrong and apologizing for it isn't shown as a weakness. If anything, it shows you can take a hit and mature from it awhile becoming open minded. Those who downright refuse to admit any wrongs and belittle others are the ones that become 'aggressors' in a bad way.

Yes, you ... whomever was fighting / arguing / bashing people from the last thread. I'm disappointed in you.

Feel free to debate and express yourself but when you start insulting others, capitalizing your fonts, and just refusing to agree to someone on the slightest note while demanding that they accept your views... is, just ..... don't do it.

"But that user is totally wrong-"

NO.

"But he's wrong! I'm right, I-"

NO.

"He's stating views and opinions different from mine, therefore I must-"

NO00000.

Stop. There's the problem. You have to be right. You FEEL you must be right. Yet, what happens in the end? No one wins. It turns into a flame war and debates become petty with insults mixed with 'you ignored my post therefore I must scream louder!' posts.

It gets to the point where the thread is derailed and not even on topic anymore. Guys, stick with the topic. I'm not saying you cannot discuss and disagree but be civil and mature about it. Accept that others will think differently from you and don't bash those that ask you questions or again, disagree. It's no right and wrong, it's the matter of having different opinions.

Thank God for Jim (i'll also ignore that he compared himself to Jesus cause i'm cool with his jokes).

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, so thank you Jim. Now, what in the name of Judas Rocking Priest was that cartoon towards the end? The one with skeletons riding flying motorcycles. That looks metal as FUCK!

Yeah I don't get the whole "apology is weakness" nonsense either.

Bravo, Jim. Society would do well to heed such a message.

I liked how CGP Grey put it in one of his videos. Treat your opinions as things you carry with you, not as an integral part of your being. If you run across a better opinion than what you're carrying, then it should be easy to swap it out. If you treat your opinions as who you are, you'll blindly cling to them regardless of logic or reason.

Self-assessment and reevaluation is the only way one can grow as a person. The ability to do that should be lauded, not scorned.

Also, that ending:

Next video on Anita? So looking forward to it.

*Slow Clap*

It takes a great man to admit when they erred and you have proved yet again there is no man in this industry greater than you. I salute you Jim, this episode reminds me why I love your show.

Aside of enjoying the video, I just wanted to say thank you for inclusion of 'Skeleton Warriors' footage.

Darth_Payn:
Now, what in the name of Judas Rocking Priest was that cartoon towards the end? The one with skeletons riding flying motorcycles. That looks metal as FUCK!

I was going to ask that as well, but lucky for the both of us IrenIvy answered that question for us!

IrenIvy:
Aside of enjoying the video, I just wanted to say thank you for inclusion of 'Skeleton Warriors' footage.

Excellent episode, because anyone can make mistakes and you shouldn't always stick to your guns. This includes Jesus.

In the Mormon religion, black people used to be EEEEEEEEVIL (Curse of Ham and Kane and stuff) then one day Jesus just decided that they weren't.
In early scripts from the Bible Jesus was a brat and would use his powers to prank others. Then he grew up, decided to be good and blah blah blah. Though their exclusion makes them non-canonical.

Good on you, Jim! I was expecting this of you after the last video. It only improves on your argument, and I have no objection to your opinion on Nintendo's apology in today's video. Nothing was lost and miiquality got what they were after.

As far as those who are disappointed in Nintendo apologizing for the issue, I get the feeling that they're less disappointed in the apology itself as opposed to the fact that the apology came from people purposefully misconstruing the situation to make Nintendo appear anti-gay in the first place. Doesn't help that they had no control over it in the first place, considering the guy in the last thread who knows coding well enough explained that the game thinks in absolutes and wouldn't allow it.

Anyway, I may not always agree with you Jim (particularly when it comes to any issue about the dreaded sexism), but I respect you for your ability to admit when you're wrong and apologize like this.

SilverBullets000:
I get the feeling that they're less disappointed in the apology itself as opposed to the fact that the apology came from people purposefully misconstruing the situation to make Nintendo appear anti-gay in the first place. Doesn't help that they had no control over it in the first place, considering the guy in the last thread who knows coding well enough explained that the game thinks in absolutes and wouldn't allow it.

While I've seen quite a few legitimate homophobes and bigots (In NintendoLife of all places) that were genuinely upset at the apology because it meant that gay marriage was basically a thing in the next installment, what you said was pretty much why people were disappointed with the apology.

It wasn't the apology that made people mad. It was the fact that a lot of people warped the original message of Miiquality which was simply a mass movement to request Nintendo to implement the feature in the next installment of Tomodachi- and turned it into the proverbial social justice mob where they proceeded to call Nintendo bigots and anti homosexual just so they can get those clicks, comments, and notes from their respective blog sites.

Well said, Jim. The Punge approves!

Personally, I wasn't bothered so much by Jim's video before this, because that part wasn't the point. I understand why a few people were mad about it, I wasn't one of them. So good for him for apologizing, but I totally got his last video, and this one as well.

Dietmar Schmid:
Actually even Jesus apologized, at least he admited to be wrong.

Read Mt 15, 21-28

;)

Actually, no, Jesus didn't admit He was wrong in that. I could explain the greater context if asked for, but that whole scene was for the sake of His disciples, who would have rejected the woman because she was a Gentile, and it was a test of the woman's faith, which Jesus acknowledged. There's a lot of context around that scripture that isn't so apparent in this day and age, yet would have been back then.

Sometimes inclusivity does bother other people, for example what if psychopaths were complaining that the game doesn't allow them to kill other people and they felt they were excluded and in turn murdering people were included in future games?

By making homosexuals inclusive it does offend homophobics and a lot religious people. Somethings in the world are just mutually exclusive, like gays and homophobics, republicans and democrats, religion and atheism......sometimes you just can't include one without offending the other.

While I whole heartedly cheer for gay people, my logic being the more they want men the more women are left for me, I must admit that I do not enjoy watching two men kiss and hearing another man say "my husband" makes my skin crawl. This isn't something I choose consciously , it's an reaction I have no control of, I was born this way....much like gay people were born gay.

And if I do have to watch two men kiss in my games it WILL affect my enjoyment of the game. So do not be so quick to say it doesn't affect others.

Dragonbums:

Darth_Payn:
Now, what in the name of Judas Rocking Priest was that cartoon towards the end? The one with skeletons riding flying motorcycles. That looks metal as FUCK!

I was going to ask that as well, but lucky for the both of us IrenIvy answered that question for us!

IrenIvy:

You both are welcome :) 'Skeleton Warriors' is a personal favorite cartoon of mine which seems to be very forgotten by the rest of the world, which is why I'm so happy when I see that it is remembered.

ExtraDebit:
Sometimes inclusivity does bother other people, for example what if psychopaths were complaining that the game doesn't allow them to kill other people and they felt they were excluded and in turn murdering people were included in future games?

Did you just honestly compare people who have sex with the same gender to murderers? I hope I don't need to explain why this is a false equivalence.

OT: Well done Jim. Well done.

erttheking:

ExtraDebit:

Did you just honestly compare people who have sex with the same gender to murderers? I hope I don't need to explain why this is a false equivalence.

Well at least it wasn't a shitfest like the one in the last thread where the now banned user insisted on claiming that homosexuality was a mental illness.

That was a hell of a mess I tell you. Took up an entire page worth of discussion.

erttheking:

ExtraDebit:

I wasn't commenting on the degree of the offense, but the idea that there is one.

ExtraDebit:

To quote Zachary Amaranth: 'Wot?'

ExtraDebit:
By making homosexuals inclusive it does offend homophobes and a lot religious people. Somethings in the world are just mutually exclusive, like gays and homophobes, republicans and democrats, religion and atheism. Sometimes you just can't include one without offending the other.

True enough, but I'd rather side with the argument that doesn't fundamentally exclude people.

ExtraDebit:
While I whole heartedly cheer for gay people, my logic being the more they want men the more women are left for me, I must admit that I do not enjoy watching two men kiss and hearing another man say "my husband" makes my skin crawl. This isn't something I choose consciously , it's an reaction I have no control of, I was born this way....much like gay people were born gay.

No, that sounds more like a behavioural pattern that you had to the point where it became instinct. I'd say it's rather different from someone's sexuality.

ExtraDebit:

erttheking:

ExtraDebit:

I wasn't commenting on the degree of the offense, but the idea that there is one.

Isn't it better to promote and support the fact that people are different, rather than promoting and supporting hatred? If you're going to exclude homosexuality because it might offend homophobes, you may as well exclude jews because they might offend neo-nazis. One person's dislikes shouldn't be the deciding factor in another person's enjoyments, that's just selfish and crude attitude.

Not implying that your attitude is as such, just that it is in itself a selfish and crude attitude to put personal distaste over another's personal preference.

Dragonbums:

SilverBullets000:
I get the feeling that they're less disappointed in the apology itself as opposed to the fact that the apology came from people purposefully misconstruing the situation to make Nintendo appear anti-gay in the first place. Doesn't help that they had no control over it in the first place, considering the guy in the last thread who knows coding well enough explained that the game thinks in absolutes and wouldn't allow it.

It wasn't the apology that made people mad. It was the fact that a lot of people warped the original message of Miiquality which was simply a mass movement to request Nintendo to implement the feature in the next installment of Tomodachi- and turned it into the proverbial social justice mob where they proceeded to call Nintendo bigots and anti homosexual just so they can get those clicks, comments, and notes from their respective blog sites.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Revenue trumps reason after all, and as long as sensationalist articles rile up people and get them to constantly revisit the article to argue and clarify (and/or circle-jerk), the practice won't die out. That's a problem that is too common in videogame journalism these days. That's to say nothing of the social justice mobs themselves, which are a different animal in their entirety, but more often than not do more harm than good to a situation. Oh well.

Folji:

ExtraDebit:

erttheking:

Isn't it better to promote and support the fact that people are different, rather than promoting and supporting hatred? If you're going to exclude homosexuality because it might offend homophobes, you may as well exclude jews because they might offend neo-nazis. One person's dislikes shouldn't be the deciding factor in another person's enjoyments, that's just selfish and crude attitude.

Not implying that your attitude is as such, just that it is in itself a selfish and crude attitude to put personal distaste over another's personal preference.

I am neither condoning or condemning difference in people nor am I promoting or supporting hatred, I'm just trying to interpret people's hatred that derived from differences, whether is gay/gay supporter's hate on homophobes or homophobes hate of gays.

Can you see the irony in all this? You said it yourself "One person's dislikes shouldn't be the deciding factor in another person's enjoyments" the thing is: it could go both ways, what if nintendo includes homophobes in the game just for inclusivity sake? How will gays enjoy the game then?

I never understood why so few people and corporations are able to admit they fucked up on the internet. Sometimes on a forum someone will catch a mistake i make and try to make a big thing about it, and i'll just be like, you're right, i fucked up, i apologize. Then it doesn't go farther then that... Too many people with too large of egos to admit that they are sometimes wrong.

I'm glad Nintendo apologized. It was clear they genuinely weren't anti-gay and just didn't understand how important gay equality has become in the west and the apology just cements that to the more radical parts of the "Miiquality" movement.

Also judging by the other thread this one's probably going to descend into another "complaining = LITERALLY facism"-fest, so give me a second to get my popcorn before we get the party started please.

There, apology accepted. Oh and Social Justice definetly IS a zero sum game. Gay rights however, are a completely seperate matter. And remember this thing began a movement headed by a reasonable person, of course batshit SJW's joined the party and started going crazy.

Asking for more features in a game is not unreasonable. Saying that they are hateful bigots if they don't entertain your wishes is unreasonable, and downright despicable.

Alright, hear me out on this one for a sec, not completely sure what I think yet.

Whenever I run across the "homosexual option" in a game like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, much eye-rolling is usually had. The thought that immediately comes to mind is "token gay relationship ahoy!"

That's my instinctive problem with the issue: not the inclusive-ness, but the token-ness. The gay relationships aren't included because it makes sense with the narrative or the setting or the characters, but rather because the developers have a check-box to mark off, to stave off controversy.

Which to be perfectly fair, is a criticism that applies for most romance options offered in any recent title. Romance isn't included in any way that makes sense, it's just there because fans expect it (at least the vocal ones do). However, for some reason the shallowness always seems worse in the gay options--probably because the romance is already awkward and lacking in any nuance when it's written and developed by heteros, for heteros.

I think a lot of times, people just instinctively pick up on the shallow corporate cynicism involved in including a gay option for PR's sake, and it gets misconstrued as bigotry when they balk at it.

ExtraDebit:
Can you see the irony in all this? You said it yourself "One person's dislikes shouldn't be the deciding factor in another person's enjoyments" the thing is: it could go both ways, what if nintendo includes homophobes in the game just for inclusivity sake? How will gays enjoy the game then?

What if Nintendo decided to include white supremacy as a concept in the game, just because there are people who want that. How would any non-white person enjoy the game then? The difference between including that, though, and including different sexualities is simply down to giving people the freedom to express themselves like they are. A person's sexuality, just like their skin colour or nationality, is a part of who they are. It doesn't represent their views, doesn't mirror their attitude, it's a part of them just like their gender and nationality would be.

And surely it's wrong to exclude someone for their skin colour, right? Especially when it's just to be inclusive to people who hate that skin colour?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here