Escapist News Now: Xbox One Drops Kinect and Price

Xbox One Drops Kinect and Price

Starting June 9th, the day of the Xbox One press conference, the console sans camera will retail for $399.99 the same price as PS4.

Watch Video

Better late than never.

But we were told that the Kinect 2 cost nearly as much as the XBO to produce. If that's the case then just dropping $100 leaves a lot of meat on the XBO bones and stopping at $400 to match the PS4 doesn't accomplish much when the PS4 is known to be 50% more powerful a machine.

At least with the Kinect 2, Microsoft was able to make the argument of added value. I'm happy they finally dropped the mandatory peripheral shenanigans but matching the price just makes them the ugly twin.

However, they do stand to make a lot more profit instantly at the price for every unit sold. If that's the goal then I wonder how much faith they place in the future of the product. I guess it just makes more financial sense to stagger the price drops though. So they get two rushes on the console instead of one.

Lightknight:
Better late than never.

But we were told that the Kinect 2 cost nearly as much as the XBO to produce. If that's the case then just dropping $100 leaves a lot of meat on the XBO bones and stopping at $400 to match the PS4 doesn't accomplish much when the PS4 is known to be 50% more powerful a machine.

At least with the Kinect 2, Microsoft was able to make the argument of added value. I'm happy they finally dropped the mandatory peripheral shenanigans but matching the price just makes them the ugly twin.

However, they do stand to make a lot more profit instantly at the price for every unit sold. If that's the goal then I wonder how much faith they place in the future of the product. I guess it just makes more financial sense to stagger the price drops though. So they get two rushes on the console instead of one.

You're under the odd impression that what they told you was true.

DanHibiki:

Lightknight:
Better late than never.

You're under the odd impression that what they told you was true.

IGN said the Kinect 2 caused the XB1 to drop 10% in power. If the PS4 really is 50% more powerful, and I think it is, now it will only be 40% more powerful?

I'm also surprised that this happened so soon after MS insisted they XB1 couldn't work without the Kinect making the bundle a must.

But these are good things: the idea that I can get an XB1 without a spy camera at the same price as the PS4, and have a competitive pay for online experience makes them actually worth considering.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)