Game Theory: Video Game Crossovers, Super Mario RPG to God of War to Real Life

Video Game Crossovers, Super Mario RPG to God of War to Real Life

Every video game shares the same universe, and that universe just so happens to be the real world. It's video games in real life! By tracing a path through video game crossovers, Game Theory proves that Kratos could appear in Starcraft alongside characters from Super Mario RPG without breaking canon. Just watch out for metroids!

Watch Video

Maybe I am nitpicking, but does he imply starcraft as a "nintendo's main player?"

When he brings up the main player chart and sayings "he linked all of nintendo's main players?"

possibly a slip. I know its a year old but its bugging me.

Also: somehow easter eggs are canon.

Flaw in your logic: Mike Tyson is effectively a cartoon character at this point. I would argue that his appearance in a game has nothing to do with the real world.

Ultratwinkie:

This is what gets me. Somehow a few Easter Eggs are evidence of some St. Elsewhere style web of intricate nonsense.

canadamus_prime:

Ultratwinkie:

This is what gets me. Somehow a few Easter Eggs are evidence of some St. Elsewhere style web of intricate nonsense.

He actually did a sequel to this episode explaining how all the eater eggs work in canon. He even, more or less, quotes your exact argument.

Here's the video in question:

SlightlyEvil:
Flaw in your logic: Mike Tyson is effectively a cartoon character at this point. I would argue that his appearance in a game has nothing to do with the real world.

Well, he also does point out that there's Tony Hawk as well.

Oh dear... Look, I know that he's joking in these videos (at lease I hope he is) but this is just a waste of time. It's not even one of the better Game Theory videos, though they're few and far between.

nayrbarr:
Oh dear... Look, I know that he's joking in these videos (at lease I hope he is) but this is just a waste of time. It's not even one of the better Game Theory videos, though they're few and far between.

That's because it isn't Game Theory, it's Crossover; a show they recently started-up that's basically a video game version of that whole "Try and link everyone to X celebrity by no more than 5 degrees of separation" thing. I was kinda turned-off by the series right from the get-go when he kicks it off by saying "I have a theory that..." and then he goes-on to summarize the basic setting of a cartoon series from the late 80's, and a premise that's been used probably about a dozen times since then. Granted that it was just meant to be a kicker to the whole "Five Degrees of Separation" thing, but it kinda soured the whole experience when he started it off by introducing a tired trope as an original idea.

All-in-all, I'm kind of upset that the Game Theory spot on Thursday is going to also make room for Crossover. Bad enough that it disappoints me every time I see them post an update on YouTube to find that it's just Crossover, but now it's gonna waste an entire week's wait. Though granted, so far it's just going to be repeats while they catch up.

Yay game theory is on Escapist! Nice catch guys!

Incredibly nitpicky, but "Zehhbes." "ehhhh." There's some proper pronunciation terms I'm not using... yeah.

Amusing as the thought can be, there's no way I can take it seriously. These Easter Eggs are purely there as a joke.

This is just totally random, disregarding the entire process used to create games. What's the point? It's not funny or even interesting.

I'd like to believe that Dante and Alucard could exist in the same gaming universe and could TOTALLY be a thing if done properly. I mean, c'mon: two sons of legendary demonic fathers fighting against the forces of hell? In a Devil May Cry hack 'n slash?

There's money to be made right there.

Captcha: Worth Overdoing

Maybe captcha has a point for this one...

Awesome show :) will tune in next time :)

The web breaks down at the Streetfighter connection. "Mike" from Streetfighter 1 isn't Mike Tyson he is Balrog, who in Japan is still called M. Bison, a fictional and thus "video game real world, not real real world" version of Mike Tyson.

Still Metroid to Starcraft, Kid Icarus (MEtroids AND Space Pirates), Kirby, and Mario. Girlfriend gets around on a bounty hunter's salary.

Interesting connections. But the notion of a multi-verse is fairly well established in gaming. Who's to say that any Mike Tyson is our own universe's Mike and not another's. It certainly looked like a digital version of Mike and not a physical version.

Additionally, he failed to establish a transitive property of the situation. He showed cameos of the characters in the digital world but no digital versions living in our universe. Therefore, A=B but B=/=C, so A=/=C either.

Either way. Very interesting to see all these leaps made. I'd accept this as a video to show that many video games share a common thread albeit likely a multi-verse scenario. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that some of these character's cameo appearances are truly one in the same with the original.

Outer Heaven in Snatcher is a bar where guests have to wear masks to be let in. You really can't count that as continuity when the people there are most likely simply folks wearing video game character masks.
Also, in the original Japanese version, apparently there were no video game characters/people dressed up as video game characters but as characters from famous movies like Alien. They changed it for fear of copyright issues for the international versions.
Or at least that's what I learnt from slowbeef's LP of that game, I hope he's accurate.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here