Mario Kart 8 Review - What More Do You Want?

Double Dash had you recover faster from being hit too, and it was a big reason why I still prefer Mario Kart 64. I found it more satisfying when your actions had more impact, and that included timing the skidding and grinding as well, which they also lessened in DD somehow I remember. Though I haven't seen barely any thing of MK8 yet so won't judge till I see it for myself. I'll be very surprised if it tops MK64 game play.

Thanks for the details

if you found battle mode to be a key component of your Mario Kart experience then you'll probably find MK8's to be pretty disappointing. Instead of arenas, battle now takes place on the game's regular courses, with players being able to drive in either direction. It's a far cry from the interesting design of open arenas in previous games

Oh my God, this is happening: Nintendo is starting to learn how to use the internet and soon, they'll start selling arenas as DLCs for two bucks each, then they'll release the previous game's arenas as DLC as well, and before you know it, you'll have spent 20 bucks on a feature that should have been here from the get go.

Does it have a go go scooter?

Cuz if I can't make my brother cry while Yoshi is riding a go go scooter then I don't know why I should bother.

Besides the everything else of course.

-waits for the end of the month- _

Not out til the 31st here in Australia :( Glad it will be worth the wait though!

Wait... there were Mario Karts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7?!! I remember the "Gameboy MarioKart" screenshots, but I thought that was an April Fool's joke. After that, nothing.

I know I'm not a console gamer, but I didn't think I was THIS out-of-touch. I feel as though I've missed a huge cultural paradigm now. :(

So good gameplay and a free game with it? Sounds good to me. Shame about the lack of arenas though...

TheMadDoctorsCat:
Wait... there were Mario Karts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7?!! I remember the "Gameboy MarioKart" screenshots, but I thought that was an April Fool's joke. After that, nothing.

I know I'm not a console gamer, but I didn't think I was THIS out-of-touch. I feel as though I've missed a huge cultural paradigm now. :(

In fairness, the only one that was actually numbered previously was Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS.

There was Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA), Mario Kart Double Dash (GC), Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, and then Mario Kart 7.

But yeah, it's not exactly a small franchise, so beyond that I dunno what to say.

OT: I'm really iffy on spending $60 for Mario Kart, especially since the choice of free game that comes with it here in America is pretty limited and the one I would actually want is the one I already got a Wii U for anyway.

On the other hand, Nintendo never reduces the prices of their Mario and Zelda titles, so it might be worth jumping on now anyway considering that getting it for $40 in two years isn't really much of a difference...

Does it still allow 2 players in split screen to play online? That was my favorite feature in Mariokart wii.

DaViller:
Does it still allow 2 players in split screen to play online? That was my favorite feature in Mariokart wii.

It does, and the servers were quite stable pre-launch. Ace feature.

JonB:

DaViller:

It does, and the servers were quite stable pre-launch. Ace feature.

Yes thank you, this sounds nothing but awesome so far.

shrekfan246:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

In fairness, the only one that was actually numbered previously was Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS.

There was Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA), Mario Kart Double Dash (GC), Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, and then Mario Kart 7.

Don't forget the original, Super Mario Kart! That game was a cornerstone of my childhood.

OT: Considering the new Wii U/Mario Kart 8 bundle, and the giveaway of a downloadable game with a MK8 purchase (or so I've heard), I may consider buying a Wii U later.

marioandsonic:

shrekfan246:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Don't forget the original, Super Mario Kart! That game was a cornerstone of my childhood.

Well of course not, I simply didn't mention it because the person I quoted was expressing amazement at all of the Mario Karts after Super Mario Kart. At least, I assume they knew of the existence of the original. At the very least maybe they thought Mario Kart 64 was the original? Oh well.

I do wonder why they decided to just switch over to numbering, but then when Mario Kart Double Dash had the most original name of the franchise I feel like it's not really that much of a step down as far as creativity is concerned.

I skipped MK7 because I got bored with the formula. Enough time's passed and now I'm itching for more kart racing. Plus I'm going to get Wind Waker HD for registering it. The end of May can't come soon enough.

To be honest, I'm not surprised they haven't changed anything major. I am exited though. I think I'll pick this up when I get the WiiU this Winter along with SSB4.

Last time I owned a Mario Kart was for the Nintendo 64, this one I've already pre-ordered, 15 days to go. I'm very excited about this. The MarioKart Direct was something that made my mind about this one, seems absolutely awesome!

I feel like I've taken a long enough break from Nintendo games. I'm ready to get back into them again, and Mario Kart 8 seems like just the game to get a Wii U into my house.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

This isn't a slight at you, but I'm baffled that there are people out there who seriously don't know this stuff. I mean... It's Mario Kart. They've only had one for pretty much every single system since the Super Nintendo.

1 - Super Mario Kart (SNES, 1992)
2 - Mario Kart 64 (N64, 1996)
3 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA, 2001)
4 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GameCube, 2003)
5 - Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005)
6 - Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008)
7 - Mario Kart 7 (3DS, 2011)
8 - Mario Kart 8 (Wii U, 2014)

You might wanna pick up a Nintendo system or two. Even so, I didn't know it was possible to be a gamer and still be insulated enough from Nintendo happenings to not even know there was more than one Mario Kart game. Again, not insulting you, but... wow. That's about two decades behind the curve, man.

VinLAURiA:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

This isn't a slight at you, but I'm baffled that there are people out there who seriously don't know this stuff. I mean... It's Mario Kart. They've only had one for pretty much every single system since the Super Nintendo.

You might wanna pick up a Nintendo system or two. Even so, I didn't know it was possible to be a gamer and still be insulated enough from Nintendo happenings to not even know there was more than one Mario Kart game. Again, not insulting you, but... wow. That's about two decades behind the curve, man.

To be fair in you grew up in the PS2 era or after Nintnedo and Mario Kart weren't exactly the cultural force they were back in the Mario Kart 64 days. I'm well aware of Mario Kart (i own the original still, and it's still sadly a bit shit. Not the best SNES racing game by far) but Nintendo isn't the cultural monolith it once was.

I grew up on obscure early 90s Home-brew games and early windows games Command and Conquer, Quake and Civ. If i didn't seek them out i could be unaware of Nintendo's many MANY Kart racing iterations. In the modern Era Nintendo is an increasingly smaller part of people's childhoods. Hell Nintendo was never even that Huge is Europe in their hay-day.

VinLAURiA:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Evidently! My one exposure to Nintendo in the last fifteen years or so is "Wii Bowling". (Which, to be fair, is a lot of fun.) I'm just not the kind of gamer who sits with his family in the living room. As far as I've done any console gaming at all, it's been with my friends in someone's living room.

In my defence, "Gameboy Mario Kart" was indeed an April Fool's joke!

I haven't really played mario kart since the original back on the snes, looks like its time to dive back into the series, just wish Birdo was still in the game, I've got a bit of a weakness for the weird lil guy/girl.

This looks like a vast improvement despite being "the same game". Then again the last time I played Mario Kart was on the N64.

Nintendo is really good at recycling. Still so many Mario games and he's one of the most boring, personality-lacking characters there is in gaming.
Mario Kart sure is fun with friends, so I guess this iteration is, too.

mindfaQ:
Nintendo is really good at recycling. Still so many Mario games and he's one of the most boring, personality-lacking characters there is in gaming.

2 words, Level Design.

That's mainly what keeps every Mario Fresh. Then there's soundtrack, graphics and other stuff, where characters and history are the least important, which I don't mind.

And Mario isn't boring, lacking personality, sure, but boring is Sheperd or Marcus Fenix.

While I am disappointed to hear that about battle mode, I'm gonna admit that it's not really something I'd spend that much time on anyway. It sort of wears thin for me after a few rounds compared to the races.

I hope they punched a lot of new roads into the existing tracks for that mode though, because driving around the entire track to hunt down one person sounds tedious.

i knew there were other MK's, didn't realise until the Wii U version was announced, that there were 8 of them. It's milked, but atleast its one per device and not one per yer.

I was getting this anyway, i'd been toying with the idea of getting it, and i've been curious to try Wonderful 101, the announcemet sealed the deal for me. least I now know the game will tick all the right boxes
EDIT: hang on, wasn't there an arcade version of MK too?

Full Metal Bolshevik:

mindfaQ:

2 words, Level Design.

So much this, I remember a few years ago when people wqere crying recycling over Mario Galaxy 2, having clearly never played what was an utter master piece of creative and ingenius 3D platforming design.

Nintendo are excellent at making the gameplay simple, engaging, challenging and well designed and structured.

So who got this? so far i'm loving it, the anti-grav works well. loading screens are a bit long though

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here