Jimquisition: Watch Dogs - Five Collector's Editions For One Game? What? F*$%ing WHAT?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Yeah... I hate it when there are too many pre-order bonuses and collectors editions, they only frustrate the consumer instead of pleasing them, because if you legitimately want to buy one, you can't get the "be all, end all" edition, you have to CHOOSE wich one you want to get, making convoluted charts an unnecessary necessity, as I said, it only alienates and frustrates the consumer.

I've lost interest in any game that clearly has a marketing budget equal to the development budget.

4 months from now it'll be half off on Steam AND the reviews will all be in so we'll know whether it was a bomb or not.

8 months from now it'll finally have a "complete edition" which contains all the currently existing content for the game. And it'll also be half off.

It's not worth it to ever buy these games near launch. They are literally scamming you out of content.

And out of all these options I choose to not buy this game, at least till it's deeply discounted.

This really is like the watershed, epitome, crowning achievement in too fucking much.

Watch Dogs - gotta catch em all?
Seriously, the uplay platform is unnecessary as it offers nothing useful in addition to a game. Uplay points to unlock shitty wallpapers? Fuck off, this shit used to be for free!
You open a game on steam and it just opens uplay, which displays all your games but wont let you start anything else but the game you just clicked on in steam. How is that convenient?
Any game that comes with that shitty platform already is wearing cement shoes.
Add to that the hyped-up, dishonest "trailer", etc. and I just don't trust that game any more. I read in a game review magazine of my trust (Gamereactor) that there's a decent game there.
A shame, since I cannot trust Ubisofts dishonest business tactics, faulty service, and shitty DRM to actually letting me play the game I buy.
Wait. Just wait a couple of months until its clear that all the bugs are worked out and fixed, that the servers are stable, etc.

Yet even more reasons why Watch Dogs NEEDS fail. It now goes beyond being the physical manifestation of everything wrong with the gaming industry. We must come together and make sure AT ALL COSTS that this game fails. If it falls flat on its face, it will fall hard. Hard enough to give every company in the "AAA" industry a massive wake-up call.

Casual Shinji:
Not that I have a lot of experience with pre-order bonus missions, but these usually seem like tacked on extra content for the sake of getting people to pre-order. This certainly seemed the case with Assassin's Creed 4. I don't think I ever played a game thinking 'Hmm, something's missing here...' only to find out later that there was extra content only available by pre-ordering that would've made the game experience feel more complete.

You can say that for a lot of content in these games that is part of the main game. You could cut it out and still not feel something was missing. Does that make it right to do so?

To put things into perspective, imagine the new game of thrones book have it's chapter divided amongst different bookshop. Wanna read Tyrion's chapter? you gotta buy it from amazon but you wouldn't be getting Arya's chapter unless you buy from anotherbookstore.com

What these company does is essentially cut up and butcher a complete game into pieces to have more of your money, have some fucking self control and dignity people and stop buying these games!

Christ roberts released wing commander prophecy secret operations for FREE back in the 90's because he's grateful of how successful the previous game did. Mind you this is a totally free game, none of these free-to-play bullshit that charge you for a new gun.

I really hate, HATE! what the game industry has evolved into. Like little finger, I'm gonna fuck them all in my own way.

It's UbiSoft, what did you expect? They have been at it for ages, with the past few Assassin's Creed editions and the newest Splinter Cell being prime examples.

The fact that they are doing it with an unestabilished IP just show how much they give about consumer satisfaction.

Zontar:
Screw this game, I was already on the fence about getting this game at best, but this is a cash grab that is the final straw and I have no hope for this game anymore. I hate the fact Ubi is the big dog in my city (being both the biggest game developer here and the location of the biggest Ubisoft office).

I think it's kinda silly to ignore a game that could be very good just because the people who are publishing it are dipshits. Just don't give into the corporate nonsense. If you ear able to separate the two in your mind, you will be better off in the long run.

Much like Mass Effect I imagine we'll be seeing a cracked version of the game with every possible feature somewhere online within weeks of release. Which means that those people availing of that option, to "steal" instead of "purchase", are getting more bang for their buck.

This is just disgusting. I actually had expiring store credit that I applied to my preorder. Despite the fact that I'm only paying $30 for the game after all the deals, I am still almost tempted to just move the preorder, potentially losing the credit in the process.

It galls me to support such a business practice, esp considering the inevitable GOTY edition release...

Casual Shinji:

Zachary Amaranth:

Casual Shinji:
Thank God for not caring about Collectors Editions, Special Editions, or What-have-you Editions. Their impractically large boxes and kitschy statues are apparently the reason I should pay more money. Well, joke's on you, industry.

The thing that bugs me is that you're seeing additional in-game content, like missions and story material, in sets like this. I don't care much about plastic crap that comes with the games, but when I see a bunch of missions offered as DLC, I can't help but wonder how much longer the game would be if it weren't diced up for pre-orders.

Not that I have a lot of experience with pre-order bonus missions, but these usually seem like tacked on extra content for the sake of getting people to pre-order. This certainly seemed the case with Assassin's Creed 4. I don't think I ever played a game thinking 'Hmm, something's missing here...' only to find out later that there was extra content only available by pre-ordering that would've made the game experience feel more complete.

The only special/collectors edition I ever bought was Dark Souls, and that was because those were the only copies they had left and were priced the same as the regular version. And it just had a little art book and the soundtrack on CD. Anyway, that being the only one, I never felt like I was missing out on actual game content by not pre-ordering.

Maybe there have been games where single-player/story content was locked away at the admission of pre-ordering, but I (thankfully) have never come across them. DLC generally pissed me off more in that respect. The Mass Effect games specifically.

How about Assassin's Creed 2, when they do a timeskip and skip over entire chapters that they later sold as DLC?

I sure as hell noticed that there was something missing.

Hes right, too many collectors

That is some real bullshit. I mean, I was kind of on the fence about this game... but this really beat that out of me. That chart is bullshit. Usually, the further right the more you get, it's not usually all over the place. It doesn't make it easy to find what you want. Now I'm just gonna wait till the GOTY Edition comes out before I even consider it. I would certainly never preorder a special edition for a game that is the first in the series. But, I'm sure some people will preorder that and love it. It's their money I guess.

Yeah stuff like this is a big part of why I don't buy many games anymore, least not until they're dirt cheap because they're on sale and all the parts that should have been included from the start are.

But with Watch Dogs I never gave a fuck, everything about the game seems boring, cliche and generic and the dlc and preorder stuff just makes me even less interested.

I had my suspciouns about this game based on how long it's been on pre-order... yeah when a digital game gets on pre order you know it's a 'cash it in before they find out it sucks '

Spot on Jim. I have had the same feel for a long time and you said it right.
This BS needs to be realized by the shitheads that make these decisions for so many publishers. Advertising is like a poison after a point and I've damn well had more than my fill.

I would like to see the game turn out great but I won't be buying it on day 1.

Great video, Jim! Always look forward to what you have to say on the industry.

Times like this I'm glad I'm not interested in Watch_Dogs.

If I'm feeling charitable I might buy the inevitable GOTY/Definitive edition in 2-3 years when it's on 75% off on steamsale. I'm certainly not buying it as its being marketed now.

Oh Jimmy boy, you cheeky bastard!

Promising those delicious tits of yours to random strangers while knowing full well I don't leave my house thus having no chance at them.

Its unacceptable! I demand your tits to be shown on the show! (don't forget to make them giggle)

I definitely feel like Ubisoft are wishing me a big "Fuck you, you cheapskate only pre-ordering" No added extras for you.

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised or shocked that this sort of thing will happen. This is how the industry is progressing. If you wish to change the industry, simply don't buy these products. If larger and larger groups of individuals start doing this, the industry will be forced to change their tactics.

That gives the Escapist users some options. One could try and reach out to the larger gaming community and lobby your point or find other games to play.

Would it really have been so hard to add a "complete" edition for those who want everything? Just to make it SLIGHTLY convenient for people who have the money to spend on that extra crap?

The choice is pretty clear to me. If the ORBIT DRM system is still in place, the cracked edition. If the game holds up to it's promises, I'll be getting the GOTY edition once ubisoft gets all the DLC out of their system.

I think the true shame is that the pre-order system has been incredibly beneficial to AAA developers and I don't see that benefit decreasing in any way. Not only does this allow them to potentially hook people for multiple editions of the same game with slightly modified content as mentioned in the video, it also helps AAA developers eliminate over-production, which is a type of business waste caused by creating more product than is immediately required.

Take the infamous ET game. If that game came out now with pre-orders, the publisher would already have a pretty good idea of how well it will sell prior to the game actually being in production. They still might end up eating high development costs, but they won't need to find a place in the desert to bury wasted stock. In that way, they are able to kick the can further down the road. Simultaneously, this puts most risk in the development phase, which exacerbates AAA's fear of IPs that are not sequels or clones of other successful franchises.

At the end of the day and for a lot more reasons that I won't go into here, I don't believe pre-orders and the slimy practices found there-in will be getting any better.

I think what UBI is doing is foolish but nothing to get angry about. The gaming industry has taught me, through this kind of thing to never buy at launch and I will simply apply what I have learned to Watch Dogs.

Running about a year behind the release schedule gets you better games, cheaper. Especially true for PC gaming.

The spreadsheet also speaks to possible consumer confusion. I suspect some fans might purchase the season pass and a collectors edition but the content overlap means they are effectively paying for the same day one DLC twice. This could be seen as outright deceptive my those who don't give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt.

The fact that it is difficult to know that the only way to get all the content is to buy a season pass and get a PS3 version makes all the other collectors editions a bit of a swindle. They are giving you game content that, if you are a hardened enough fan, you will already be buying with the season pass anyway. It's another way of rewarding people's loyalty and faith with a great big swinging dick in the face.

This isn't even mentioning that this game isn't even out yet. It doesn't even have sanctioned reviews yet. They are selling you fresh air and even then they are shitting the bed doing it.

Here's what the games industry keeps teaching me;
Never trust any pre-lauch media or details.
Never pre-order.
Never trust a game not to have DRM.
Previews are mainly soft PR pieces, they are largely useless.
Avoid buying DLC as much as possible.
Never buy a paid game with a 'real money economy'.
Reviewers are terrible at judging PC ports, wait for a trusted source to evaluate it.
Wait a couple of months for the patches and truth to eventually come out.
Wait for the game of the year edition with all the DLC in it for less money than new.

After years of being burned the industry has basically turned me into a paranoid survivalist of a consumer. If you want me to buy any game you're going to have to prove a LOT.

You know, I rather liked the Spread Sheet that explained the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One. But one to explain the differences between different versions of a game...

Also, five different versions of the Collector's Edition? Five? FIVE!?
Mega Jesus Christ. That's just ridiculous. That's way too many versions.

I agree with something else Jim touched on. I like a lot of things at their core. I like Preorder bonuses and DLC. But not when the Preorder Bonus and DLC is stuff that I use to get for free. Back when I had games that had multiple paths and endings and sometime just accomplishing certain tasks in the game was enough to unlock another path to take.

Remember back when you unlocked all the addition characters and content just by playing the game? Pepperidge Farms remembers. And so do I.

Cool Story Bro Time:

i've never quite understood the purpose of collector's editions, at least in terms of what's included in them by publishers/devs. i worked at a GameStop in South Carolina for two years(worked the Black Friday of the Wii/PS3 launch and the one after), and in that entire time i saw one, ONE, collector's edition that when i saw what came with it i thought "oh that's fucking awesome!" and that was Unreal Tournament 3 for PC. for those not familiar, it included six hours worth of video tutorials on how to utilize the included toolsets to make mods and maps, which, asied from being the backbone of that particular franchise, is one of the single coolest things i've ever seen in a collector's edition. it added genuine, tangible value to dropping an extra twenty bucks for the game. it was the only time i've ever seen a CE include something that was absolutely WORTH the extra cost.

Yeah the whole thing's pretty silly. I'm certainly not getting any of those.

I had a look at the spreadsheet and it seems all the DLC stuff that's divided up between the editions is in the season pass.
So I guess I'll just get the standard edition and the season pass sometime whenever.

But then I'll have to live with the fact that I will never own what's-his-face's iconic cap.
That's gonna be tough... I mean, it's just so iconic.

Imre Csete:
It's UbiSoft, what did you expect? They have been at it for ages, with the past few Assassin's Creed editions and the newest Splinter Cell being prime examples.

The fact that they are doing it with an unestabilished IP just show how much they give about consumer satisfaction.

don't talk to me about the new Splinter Cel on PC. Awful port, the frame rate got worse as I lowered setting. And Sam Fishers voice sounded strange no matter how many times the game was patched

Dear Ubisoft,

Thank you for solving my conundrum regarding this game. I've been avoiding your releases for some time now, but I'd been considering breaking down and buying Watch Dogs. This announcement is perfectly timed to re-affirm my resolve and not purchase any version, collector's or no.

Scrumpmonkey:

Here's what the games industry keeps teaching me;
Never trust any pre-lauch media or details.
Never pre-order.
Never trust a game not to have DRM.
Previews are mainly soft PR pieces, they are largely useless.
Avoid buying DLC as much as possible.
Never buy a paid game with a 'real money economy'.
Reviewers are terrible at judging PC ports, wait for a trusted source to evaluate it.
Wait a couple of months for the patches and truth to eventually come out.
Wait for the game of the year edition with all the DLC in it for less money than new.

After years of being burned the industry has basically turned me into a paranoid survivalist of a consumer. If you want me to buy any game you're going to have to prove a LOT.

Yep I'm pretty much a "wait for the GOTY on sale" type of guy, unless i see a really good price on a CD Key/DLC etc. ie just got Saints Row IV & season pass for 10 on Humble Sale. Played the Third, was fun but not worth the full price of a game, IV looked more of the same, waited for a price to suit.
I can list all my pre orders of the last 4 years;
Mass Effect 2
Dark Souls
Blood Dragon
Dark Souls 2
Mario Kart Wii U (only swayed by the fact i'd also get a free copy of the Wonderful 101)

Thats it, not a lot. What it is though, is a vote of no confidence, a vote with my wallet; and behind my keyboard, I'm pretty smug about the gamers who still get stung by the hype machine (not Joe/Jo public, but those who come to sites like this, and should have no excuse)

This right here is exactly the kind of crap I stopped buying games at release in almost all cases over. Yes it means I am behind six months to a year sometimes more on games I want to play, but I will gladly take that and pay a reasonable price for a complete game without slices cut off to be sold separately. Than to buy it a release and keep getting shafted for more money if I want the full game as more DLC comes out.

Hell I am still waiting for a Saints Row 4 GOTY/complete edition with the stupid amount of DLC that has.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here