Wolfenstein: The New Order Review - I Know What I Reich

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wolfenstein: The New Order Review - I Know What I Reich

Guns. Explosions. Nazis. Robots. Yeah, that'll do.

Read Full Article

Gennle'men. We are here to kill nazzees.

The general gist I got from the review is "Not particularly mind blowing, but still a damn good time" Maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheaper. I can't really afford full priced retail games right now. *Looks down at new XL 3DS* this thing was expensive.

SnakeoilSage:

And here I thought I was the only one who thought he sounded like Aldo Raine.

OT: Good review for what looks like a good game. I'll probably pick this up when I get my next paycheck.

Something that definitely piques my interest though... if the game is set during the 60's in England, and features German covers of popular songs, does that mean We'll be able to experience the German versions the Beatles did for a couple of their songs?

Because that would be amazing.

King Whurdler:

SnakeoilSage:

And here I thought I was the only one who thought he sounded like Aldo Raine.

OT: Good review for what looks like a good game. I'll probably pick this up when I get my next paycheck.

Something that definitely piques my interest though... if the game is set during the 60's in England, and features German covers of popular songs, does that mean We'll be able to experience the German versions the Beatles did for a couple of their songs?

Because that would be amazing.

Check out their Soundcloud, if you havn't already.

erttheking:
The general gist I got from the review is "Not particularly mind blowing, but still a damn good time" Maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheaper. I can't really afford full priced retail games right now. *Looks down at new XL 3DS* this thing was expensive.

After what I played I was really enjoying the overall tone of the story and characters, the voice acting is really well done (plenty of german and some polish). Blazkowicz felt like a very human and simple character (he enjoys killing nazis, its his thing) that worked very well with the rest of the game (what I played at least).

The biggest problem I had is how the levels sometime feel a bit disjointed, one moment you are blazing through a nazi checkpoint where someone mentions getting inside a train and the screen fades to black to suddenly show you inside some random nazi filled train getting coffee out of all things (the part of that one trailer).

EDIT: Also the menu theme is great, it starts strong but then it slows down to a very melancholic melody (in a way its like the game where one moment you are blasting your way through nazis and then have a more personal moment with the loss of a friend).

I like your reviews jim. I was glad you took the gig and set them up this way.

--

I became interested in wolfenstein just the other day, I wasn't really cognizant of its existence. I haven't been playing shooters lately, heck, at least 3 years. As such, I can completely ignore everything about modern shooter conventions and have a good time.

Question is, if you had skipped out on shooters for years, and had a nice update going into a rig this week, would you want to do wolfenstein, or maybe take up some bioshock infinite instead?

thiosk:

--

I became interested in wolfenstein just the other day, I wasn't really cognizant of its existence. I haven't been playing shooters lately, heck, at least 3 years. As such, I can completely ignore everything about modern shooter conventions and have a good time.

Question is, if you had skipped out on shooters for years, and had a nice update going into a rig this week, would you want to do wolfenstein, or maybe take up some bioshock infinite instead?

I'd certainly go with Wolfenstein from what I played. Bioshock Infinite seems to be very hit or miss, it may be the best game you play from 2013 or it may be the game you might as well flush down the toilet. With Wolfenstein you are probably going to enjoy it even if you end up liking Infinite more.

I'm quite enjoying the game. The voice acting is spot on. The graphics are half decent on PC, nothing mind blowing though. The stealth mechanic is ok, not fantastic. Killing Nazis again really is the pull point here. The designs for the future(past?) Nazis is fantastic and Death Head is quite well done. The 'action movie' feel mixed in with a serious overtone is sometimes quite disjointed but i do like the fact that MachineGames were willing to broach the subject.

All in all (so far) good game, well worth the price paid.

thiosk:

--

Infinite is a story-driven game with some first person shooter elements that are serviceable, Wolfenstein seems to be a first person shooter set on to deliver a fun thrill-ride. I would imagine that it's really about how much you might value narrative over derpherpery, or at least whatever mood you find yourself in.

Wouldn't skip out on Bioshock though. Even if you don't get it now, you should at some point.

Sounds like fun, but I won't be playing it, because I live in Germany. I'm not particularly bothered by the censorship of 'Nazi' (even though it's dumb and patronising) but forcing me to use the sub-standard German dub relegates it to the Not On Your Nelly pile.

Impulsively pre-ordered this yesterday after just realising it is released today. Seems like it wasn't a bad decision after all.
As i only currently have a 360 for gaming...does that render my Doom 4 beta key pointless?

A very enjoyable read Jim. I'll pick this one up.

Eh, I'll probably play it somewhere down the line, if I can find a way of getting it cheap and beating the censorship cordon around my country.
I had to smirk when I realized that the heavy troopers really do look veeeeery similar to Warhammer 40.000's Space Marines in terms of armour design. A fitting comparison if I ever saw one, and I tip my hat to the devs in case it was a deliberate nod.

think i will pass on it. the last wolfenstein was poor and this doesnt seem to be any better either in my view. a bit sick of the WW2 and nazi stuff anyway. already not particular happy with the nazi zombies in south park but at least they are not the main enemies.

I'm looking forward to seeing how uncomfortable this game makes me, I've always wondered what a game that actually portrayed Nazis as Nazis would be like.

Jimothy Sterling:
... the cutscene compression is noticeable

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Shouldn't this be avoidable on a Blu-Ray? It just seems completely insane when the in-game graphics are actually better than the cutscene graphics. If that's going to be the case, why even bother using pre-rendered cutscenes? Maybe the PC version won't have this problem since you don't have to include the entire game on a single disk, or any disk at all.

I want the SOUNDTRACK tunes of that game!!!!

Ich sitz im Zug nach Hamburg....lalalalala

Hmmm.... Nope. Still not sold on it.

Well if it wasnt for Transistor also coming out today, id be all over it.

Itll probalby be 50% off in the Steam Wallet Rape of the Summer Season anyway.

I'll wait for it to come down in price or maybe save it for when i pick up a PS4.

I am however downloading return to castle wolfenstein on my steam account as we speak because the review hit the nostalgia in me big time

Clovus:

Jimothy Sterling:
... the cutscene compression is noticeable

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Shouldn't this be avoidable on a Blu-Ray? It just seems completely insane when the in-game graphics are actually better than the cutscene graphics. If that's going to be the case, why even bother using pre-rendered cutscenes? Maybe the PC version won't have this problem since you don't have to include the entire game on a single disk, or any disk at all.

I don't think anything is compressed, the game is 43.6 Gigs on pc, it's ludicrous

Cant wait to get stuck in.

Playing return to castle wolfenstein now and fecking loving it! thank you Jim!

BloodRed Pixel:
I want the SOUNDTRACK tunes of that game!!!!

Ich sitz im Zug nach Hamburg....lalalalala

ask and you shall receive:

https://soundcloud.com/neumondrecordings/

I hated the opening levels, it was everything I despise in modern shooters, linear, turrets, forced story emotion. However once the game opened up into the sixties the fun really began, I'm glad I decided to take the risk!

This game is riddled with bugs. I saw bullets hanging mid-air. And the FPS... it's like Skyrim all over again. Do game companies actually test their own games these days? It would be amazing if someday a game that has been build in the last few years, actually would work.

I understand that with the economy being in the gutter for the last few years, development has slowly been halted. But come on, game developers, please test your game. In the good ol' days they used to make demo's. Which in turn created feedback on the game and they actually did something with that. Now it's more like a film and you have to wait until you see what you get and when you already paid for your 'ticket'.

Here is a list of problems with the game.
Maybe it's time to stop playing games, because this industry is far from healthy.

My apology for this rant, but I paid for this game. And I am already slightly traumatised by the whole Battlefield 4 experience.

So how long does the game typically last? Been psyched to get this game since it got announced but I'm not sure if it'll be worth the asking price if it's only 6 hours or so...

You had me at killing nazis.

Baron von Blitztank:
So how long does the game typically last? Been psyched to get this game since it got announced but I'm not sure if it'll be worth the asking price if it's only 6 hours or so...

I think its around 16 hours with two different timelines (the first level has a choice that changes the rest of the game, how much I dont really know yet)

Cpt. Slow:
This game is riddled with bugs. I saw bullets hanging mid-air. And the FPS... it's like Skyrim all over again. Do game companies actually test their own games these days? It would be amazing if someday a game that has been build in the last few years, actually would work.

Well both are Bethesda games so probably not.

josemlopes:

Baron von Blitztank:

I think its around 16 hours with two different timelines (the first level has a choice that changes the rest of the game, how much I dont really know yet)

16 hours huh? Ok, now I'm sold!

I would really like to replay the 2009 Wolfenstein on the PC but it seems to no longer be on any digital store and retail disc copies are still their original full price.

Anyway, I'm liking the look of this one so far and will snap up the chance when I can.

All I can really add to Jim's solid review is to underline: this game is about killing Nazis.

It's not about alternate timelines, or lasers, or robots, or any of that. It's about a big, blond white guy in his 40s shooting and stabbing and exploding Nazis. The writing is well executed, the gameplay is solid, but it is at heart just the most recent video game version of a WWII movie.

Anybody think the guy you play as looks like Hugo Stiglitz or is that just me. He also liked killing Nazis so maybe it is him o_O

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here