Escape to the Movies: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

X-Men: Days of Future Past

A sidestep for the series.

Watch Video

Good review, Bob. I think a lot of people will disagree with your opinion, but I think your criticisms are legitimate.

Since I myself have not gotten sick of Bryan Singer's aesthetic or direction, I enjoyed this film. But, I do concede other superhero films have made great strides since the first X-men.

So if you really liked First Class, you're probably not going to like Days of Future Past?

I guess that means I'm really going to like Days of Future Past.

Is there some in-story thing to explain why "Future Past" isn't stupid?

But yeah, another X-Men movie that's alright from the sounds of it. DVD or nothing for me, then.

Edit: Scratch that, it turns out my sibling wanted to see it. It's pretty good and fun, and since I haven't seen all of the X-Men films I didn't get tired during it, even if I agree that it's not the best thing in the world.

I'm giving this a pass since I didn't particularly like any of the X-Men movies I've already seen, this includes "First Class". In fact, I'm surprised that Bob likes that one as much as he does since I don't see what's so special about it other than the fact that it was a rebound from the 2 lackluster films that preceeded it.

Revisit your gripes about too many villains, and replace it with heroes, then see why X-Men is hard as a franchise. I hope when Marvel does the runaways, they go animated, because kids don't stay 10 forever.

I enjoyed it and now you think about it, it does make sense on why they should of kept Quicksilver longer as he alone would of stop the assassination more smoothly (I wonder if this is what "How it should of ended" crew are going to do?) since he was kind of OP, still I liked for since he was like a speedster prankster.

These movies always look fun in trailers. But then I watch them and feel insulted. I gave the last Wolverine movie a chance and it was painfully stupid. Some fun action beats sure, but still painfully stupid.

If I went to see this, I'd just be supporting something I wish would go away. So maybe I'll watch it on Netflix in a year or something. But for now, I just can't.

Still, thanks for the review Bob. As always it was an enjoyable assessment to watch. :)

I normally enjoy Bob's analysis, but I don't want to spoil anything with this movie, so I guess I can only watch this one after I see it? At which point, it's not a review.... it's more like.... a post-watch discussion? Which is cool, that can be enjoyable. But could we get a spoiler-free review?

This review could be summarised as "IT'S NOT BY DISNEY IT'S FUCKING SHIT! FOX GIVE BACK X-MEN YOU CUNTS, DISNEY FOREVER"

Some of what Bob said in this review is highly suspect. He hated Quicksilver, but everyone I know who watches these kinds of movies that has seen it, really liked him. One of my friends even felt he was the best character in the movie (obviously a questionable judgment call). Mystique had ZERO character when she was played by Rebecca Romijn. She was just there. It was an awful character till First Class came along. But opinions are opinions and I can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Didn't Singer co-write First Class?

I think the mess of a script we have here is due to fox being more back in the picture and the whole thing not being re-written by the excellent Mathew Vaugn. I think Vaugn being given some space to operate by Fox's desperation to try something new and save a franchise they had tanked is what made First Class seem so much more functional, colorful and just... better than everything Singer or the fox execs has been able to do with the franchise in 14 years.

Also Nazi hunter Magneto is hard to top. God first Class made that whole thing work, i wish they hadn't gone backwards to this semi failure state.

"Could it be that we saw different shows?"

RA92:

Technically yes. But if you watch the special features there is a hilarious section where the Fox producers (singer was a producer) do some slick double speak but Vaugn and his female co-writer basically flat out say they put everything fox had given them in the bin and done the whole movie over in six months. I think he was involved heavily in some draft (and being a producer that makes him a lock for a co-wiring credit) of the script but from what I've heard the final draft had almost none of his work in it.

This is all whilst singer was taking a break from the series to direct the epic turd that was "Jack the giant slayer"

I'm suiting up for Guardians Of The Galaxy. Right behind you, baby!

If I could I would bet on it being good. Nay, great. But then we fall into the whole "discussing what is good".... with some people loving Man Of Steel and then not liking Pacific Rim. I dunno, seems pointless when you think it all the way through.

I loved it. It was fun, fast-paced, and finally made me give a damn about the X-Men film series canon.

Even if this is set up for future franchise movements, it at least earns the payoff with terrific attention to the emotional implications.

I'm excited for what's to come. The cast is all-around spectacular, and Bryan Signer finally seems to have found the sweet spot for the movies. Now I hope that Matthew Vaughn is brought along, too, because First Class is also my favorite.

Kumagawa Misogi:
This review could be summarised as "IT'S NOT BY DISNEY IT'S FUCKING SHIT! FOX GIVE BACK X-MEN YOU CUNTS, DISNEY FOREVER"

Thats not what was said at all, if anything he gave it a 'thumbs up'. From what I understand it has some writing/plot hole issues. The only real comparison isn't really one, but just a matter of fact statement: Fox DESPERATELY wants/wanted X-M:DoFP to be The Avengers in every aspect. Big budget action, Big Headliners, Big Returns.

Kumagawa Misogi:
This review could be summarized as "IT'S NOT BY DISNEY IT'S FUCKING SHIT! FOX GIVE BACK X-MEN YOU CUNTS, DISNEY FOREVER"

lolwut

Anyways, this was a pretty nuanced and all-encompassing review. I can forgive the bit about The Winter Soldier being anything except above average, and there was a surprising amount of detail about the film in such relatively little time. Good job.

Matthew Vaughn had a much better grasp on every character he used and... as far as I can tell he would have a much better grasp on... anything to do with the plot or scenes as seen in the film. What I'll give it is that you can still see the elements that made first class work, that being the angst ridden brolationship between Fassbender's Magneto and McAvoy's Professor X, but it didn't do much with it.

I actually liked Singer's earlier outings, even when you look at them in hindsight, but what really goddamn kills this is that it completely lost its sense of "fun". You know, that thing that people have sometimes to combat the inherent potential for all of them to become psychological wrecks at the drop of a pin? Despite suddenly manifesting some DEM, always nice, I feel like Kitty and the rest of her group were terribly underutilised... in that I'd like to have seen a full film with just them and I can't see it being any less entertaining than what we got. If only because of infinite potential Blink's ability adds to any fight scene when compared with... oh... I dunno... claws?

What actually did bring the film down somewhat for me, despite all criticism it was fun to see, was how Singer appears to have completely trashed First Class and anything that could have done. Maybe there was some word from on high about this but I just get the feeling that it was less professional/monetary pressure and more Singer petulantly guarding what he considers to be "his" franchise.

Oh that and the fact that the plot basically boiled down to "Isn't Raven hot? I mean damn!". It was equal parts amusing and silly to see herself and Beast share meaningful looks _every_ time they shared a scene and it didn't help that both of our male leads who didn't already have a thing for her daughter clearly had a thing for her.

The X-Men are strange. They are not quite your normal dumb action movies because they seem to be trying to be smart. But they end up on the level of dumb action movies anyway. I like them, but only in a really shallow sense. They have pretty explosions and lasers and hot women and Hugh Jackman to look at. That about sums up my thoughts on the entire franchise.

Edit: All of the above only applies to the X-men movies. The X-men IP is awesome and full of amazing potential that should make a great series of movies but these movies to not do that. Thought I should clear that up.

So, yeah...

Hate thinking bad of Bob but this is far better than most marvel movies and comparable to the Avengers, he should just accept there won't be x men and avengers together.

About these X-Men movies, my theory about why some people really like these movies and others just can't begin to like them comes down to where do you know the X-Men from. Maybe some people got acquainted with the X-Men from their cinematic incarnations. It's a fine collection of movies, with highs and lows. It certainly has longevity. They have their cohesion as a franchise, with their own continuity and grand scheme plot twists and flashbacks. It stands on its own.

On the other hand there's the people who have primarily known the X-Men from comics and the glorious 90's cartoon. That crowd is waiting for something that isn't going to happen. Seeing how the Avengers, Marvel in general and Pacific Rim as an outsider, have mastered special effects to the point where they can reconcile a coherent tone and outrageous visuals into a fully operational entertaining movie. I would love to see a proper Juggernaut battle the Kree empire, or a proper Rogue taking a chance at stopping Phoenix. Those would be some amazing scenes.

I think every company with Marvel/DC characters (apart from Disney) are going mental to build universes as a money making scheme. You cant rush it and you cant lower quality or every future movie will fail. Its a huge gamble. Anyway i will be watching this movie, im sure its a good fun use of a few hours....has to atleast be better than X3! Also hoping it does well so we get that Apocalypse movie they are thinking of doing. Not enough epic enemies in super hero movies. Now we have Ultron/Thanos, DC are thinking of showing Darkseid in the JL movie and now Apocalypse. Now if only we can get a proper version of Juggernaut...BITCH! Good times.

Is it wrong that while watching the "Future" action scenes, all I heard in my head was GLaDOS saying "Now you're thinking with portals."

X2 is just marginally better than FC imo, only because Darwin's death and the last 20 or so minutes are BS.

Kumagawa Misogi:

Did Bob steal your lunch money or something? I'm not sure what's bringing on this impulsive need to just ramp yourself up to 11 and lash out in every thread for his work but it's probably not good for you.

Anyway...It sounds like another solid B+ of a flick prior to the big Summer onslaught.

If I'm honest, I'll take that as a good sign. The first two flicks were good for their time and haven't aged particularly well, and I rather liked First Class. On the other end of the spectrum there's the two Wolverine films and X-Men 3 which were all completely godawful. I know a lot of folks (myself included) who are looking to this film to be the tie breaker as to whether or not they continue to invest their time and energy in this franchise.

It would be nice for them to take a few more risks with the stories but I can understand how/why they're hesitant to get too outlandish with their plots. As was pointed out, they're still using the same continuity from the late 90's where the entire intent of the X-Men movies was to make a more "realistic" adaptation of the characters. It's hard to take that premise, as goofy as it already is, and stretch it thinner to include cosmic forces and aliens.

The review began with a big spoiler warning. Now, usually when this happens, we get proceed to get a spiel from Bob where he tells us basically what he thinks of the movie, and then to go away if we don't want the spoilers. That didn't happen this time, and I ended up watching the entire thing. Which... was fine, as it turned out, because I really didn't notice any spoilers. But I thought that was worth mentioning.

I am sorry Bob, but I respectfully disagree with you regarding the X-Men and X2.

X-2 to me is not just great when ti was released and it is STILL one of the better Superhero movies period. The latter films were lower in quality sure but this movie in particular is the best one in capturing the essence the ideological difference between the two, Magneto isn't doing what he is doing because he is evil and Prof X isn't doing what he is doing because he is good, these two are representing two different moral stance that's neither completely right or wrong. X-2 captured that perfectly of how they're forced to work together to defeat Stryker.

Alright, I'm done with Bob. Got back from the midnight showing of this riding high because of how much i enjoyed it, then I boot up Bob's review and this is the third blockbuster in a month that I outright disagree with Bob on. Just done.

I had to stop the video midway because I just couldn't handle Bob's bashing on Spider man anymore. This has become beyond annoying. Seriously, I imagine Bob responding to "how you doing?" With "better than Amazing Spider man I tell you that! Har har!"

Still on the fence with this one myself, and MovieBob's complaint about Kitty Pryde being the one sending Wolverine's mind back into the past is a big part of why. Mostly because from the outside it looks like it was a blatant attempt to have Ellen Paige come back in hopes of putting a few extra butts in seats with another 'recognizable' name.

...and maybe just a little because for the longest time Rachel Summers was one of my favorite characters and since they threw in all these other characters (Blink, Bishop, Sunspot, etc.) in this movie there was no reason to not use another 'new' character in that role and leave Kitty Pryde out.

Scrumpmonkey:

RA92:

Technically yes. But if you watch the special features there is a hilarious section where the Fox producers (singer was a producer) do some slick double speak but Vaugn and his female co-writer basically flat out say they put everything fox had given them in the bin and done the whole movie over in six months. I think he was involved heavily in some draft (and being a producer that makes him a lock for a co-wiring credit) of the script but from what I've heard the final draft had almost none of his work in it.

This is all whilst singer was taking a break from the series to direct the epic turd that was "Jack the giant slayer"

Ah, I see. Thanks for the context.

I generally don't get Jennifer Lawrence as an actress. I don't know why she's as popular as she is aside from her ties with a popular franchise. That being said, she's head over heels better than Daniel Radcliff who rose to stardom in the same way, so maybe I'm just being unfair on a decent actress because people are going nuts about her. I mean, she isn't bad, so maybe it's just an expectation level. Or maybe she's inconsistent? I don't know, I used to think Leonardo DiCaprio was the worst actor ever and stopped watching his lead roles only to find out later that he was quite good in certain roles.

You should really give these these spoiler warnings some context Bob, I can barely even tell what it is here. If it's 'and then Professor Xavier dies', then yeah give warning. But when its 'Kitty uses magic hands to send Wolverine back in time', or whatever it was supposed to be, anyone that would actually care probably isn't watching a video review, or any preview for that matter, to begin with.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)